Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Steve French posted:

Where are you looking that says the snowiest city in the country isn't one of [Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo]?

I think ‘city’ is probably the sticking point here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Pfft needle hasn’t even hit diamond e yet. Wake me up when we hit diamond x.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I skied Park City on the last week of the season. Locals were in tshirts; temp was high and the snow wasn’t amazing, but it thoroughly destroyed my midwestern, hadn’t skied in a decade, self.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

JagerNinja posted:

Sounds perfect for my southern, haven't skied in 2 years, self.

Drink lots of water and wear sunscreen. The altitude will gently caress you.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

JagerNinja posted:

Oh, I'm well aware. I spend a couple weeks during the summer every year in Gunnison, Colorado, so I know how my body handles altitude (not well) and how to deal with it (constant hydration).

Gotcha. I tend to over-emphasize because I was told. I thought I was taking appropriate measures. I was not.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Is there any good primer on how to shop for bindings and boots? I’ve got skis and I’ll probably walk into a local shop post vax to get boots and bindings but I’d like to be able to have an informed conversation about what I’m looking for.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Eejit posted:

How strong of a skier are you and what kind of terrain do you usually ski? Do you ever tour or take long hikes?

Solid intermediate in the upper midwest. Mostly midwest resorts; sometimes trees. No touring or hiking; do a fair amount of XC but have dedicated skis for that.

Verman posted:

I would suggest going to a knowledgeable local shop and talking with a fitter. It might cost a little if you don't buy from them but that will be your best chance of success when it comes to boots. Most people left on their own will buy boots too big.

An experienced boot fitter will look at your feet in several ways and find boots that cater to them the most suggesting customizations like molding, insoles, wedges, grinding or punches if needed. Most shops will discount mounting prices if you buy one or several pieces of your setup from them like boots, skis, or bindings.

I just went through it and can't wait to get out on my new setup.

Yes; I’m onboard with the local shop plan, I’d just like to be able to clearly articulate my preferences etc when talking to them.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

ironlung posted:

Correct, you should have about 7mm difference between stated width and brake width before you need to bend and even if you do it's nbd

E: if you need bindings, Corbetts is running a sale on Pivots and they have 115mm in stock as I'm typing this. These prices should be CAD too... great deals if you are buying with freedom dollars: https://www.corbetts.com/search?search_query=look+pivot&queryAssumption=correction

Thanks for posting this, I ended up at 40% off.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Yuns posted:

I would reduce contact a much as possible. He doesn't sound right.

Well, they already said he’s British...

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

First day out this year. Midwestern skiing, oh yeah!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

build 50 story soviet-style mega vacation dorm complexes

20000 units, 250 sq ft, communal bathrooms, somehow still ten million dollars each

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Speaking of lessons, what's an appropriate tip for a private lesson in the midwest? Assuming the cost is ~$100.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Steve French posted:

I just can’t win. New poles, holy poo poo they weigh nothing, but they’ve both got indexed baskets just off to the right like this

I bought some (on sale, extremely unnecessary) carbon fiber poles to embrace my disposable income dork. I lost the threaded detachable basket on one the first time out. The metal tip broke off the same one this weekend.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Did a lesson at a midsize midwestern resort yesterday and skiied the instructor out of his bindings, lol.

We were in the glades and he crossed a path perpendicular to the snow and the dip flexed his ski enough that his binding popped.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Pretty sure I just left my wallet somewhere off Paradise at MRG :allears:

It is, literally, the one that says Bad Motherfucker on it, a thing which I clearly am not

Time to call 7 fintech companies.

edit: yay, it was in my car, in fact. Still should get a chain wallet, I think.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

IMHO, you don’t know enough about gear to buy used off of fb/ebay; there are a ton of variables for fit, safety and compatibility that make it a bad idea.

Look around at shops that have used gear or ski swaps in your area where you can talk to a shop employee and try on the boots in person. Boots with the size/last/flex can fit differently depending on brand, model and year.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Seems like every resort around here is having lift breakdowns this season. I’m not sure if it’s penny pinching, supply chain, or just old lifts wearing out, but it’s a bummer.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I like my smartwool base bottoms.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Eejit posted:

After a few days out on the Fastforwards, I am a fan. They absolutely rail groomers, but are nimble enough for trees and bumps. Not too great in soft, cruddy leftovers, but they love slush as much as I do. Definitely recommend. Also, if I say so myself, the ski and binding combo is on fleek

Every time I see those colorway pivots I regret not buying them even though they wouldn’t work with my skis’ top sheet at all.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

gohuskies posted:

I'm a beginner to intermediate skier and I want to buy downhill skis for next year. My thought was to buy new boots (so I can be confident in the fit) and used skis/bindings, with the idea that I can upgrade with new skis/bindings a couple years down the road. Does anyone have any advice on what to look for?

Thumbs up on buying boots; See if there’s a good boot-fitter near where you’re at.

It might be a challenge to evaluate age, condition, suitability or binding conditions; I’d check out demos or nicer rentals for a year or two to see what you like. Some shops do season rentals. Or check out some local ski swaps next fall, I’m not a ski cop.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

tokenbrownguy posted:

This the right place for cross-country ski questions? Can anyone recommend a starter setup? I've got some downhill experience but want that good flat poo poo.

https://www.crosscountryski.com/how-to-choose-cross-country-skis/

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Spime Wrangler posted:

Dubious, refuses to recommend me a high-end skate package.

There’s a special asterisk for skate skiiers. That kind of deviant can only be handled over the phone.

tokenbrownguy posted:

Woah, thank you.

One thing to mention with no-wax skis is there’s two kinds: scales and skins. Scales are louder but established tech and cheaper (and iirc more durable), skins are newer and closer to the waxed ski experience.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I bought a set of carbon fiber poles for ~$60 (on sale!) for shits and giggles and they lasted less than a season thanks to my idiocy.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I bought Pivot 14s bindings because I didn’t need the 15s, but then I found an AT conversion kit that only works with the 15s and up. Guess I need to buy new skis and AT bindings!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

this is just to say

I have shredded
the fresh snow
that was in
your glades

and which
you were probably
saving
for the weekend skiiers

Forgive me
they were delicious
so pow
and so cold

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

- said “I got you babe”

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

How do those compare to riding a mtb downhill?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Since you mention BOA I assume you're snowboarding.

Next year it’ll be less clear https://www.boafit.com/en-us/ski

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Really digging the atomic hawks. They took a minute to break in and my custom footbeds from my old boots don’t quite reach the toes but drat they are light, comfy, and great for narrow feet. I don’t know a lot about ski boots because snowboard boots are far superior but I would recommend these.

Really like mine after a couple hours at the bootfitter. Just dialed in fantastically. Nearly impossible to get on if they’re cold, though.

I want to get https://www.atomic.com/en/shop-emea/product/hawx-professional-dual-strap-m-l-aze001688.html but I don’t really need it.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I’m on 95s and thought they were pretty good for me in midwest trees, but wondered if they were too wide for groomers like the internet kept telling me. After one sluggish day on rental 80somethings out west on fresh snow I decided that I was happy sticking with the 95s.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I have a 23L Thule backpack I take, but I keep some hot chocolate and snacks, so when my kids need a few minutes to recover after a nasty fall, I can pull them aside, give them candy and get them back out.

EDIT: here's a thread question. I have a 9yr old daughter, and she's getting to be a fantastic skier. She has a habit of doing the side hits and going into the tree paths, Sometimes she's too quick and I can't follow her. I was considering grabbing an airtag and putting it on her, but I'm not sure if there's a better option. Maybe a Gizmo watch? I don't need a tracker all the time, just for when we ski.

High quality walkies (eg https://rockytalkie.com/), if you’re not at a resort that has excellent cell coverage. Apple Watch if you are (although battery life in the cold is a challenge.) Airtags are too dependent on having cell phones that have service nearby, imho.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Anyone have an opinion about the CAST touring conversion kits for Look?

I have an idiot long term low priority new ski project and I’m trying to decide if I want to try setting them up for touring. My first inclination is to go alpine with 15s (if I can find some on sale) and my existing boots and keep an eye out for a good deal on touring boots and slap the conversion on, but it isn’t cheap. Alternatively, how bad is touring gear in resorts, if I go straight to touring bindings and boots?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Thanks; the Shifts came up but I saw some cranks unhappy about them, so I wasn’t sure.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Thanks; I don’t anticipate that I’m going to push these skis too hard and I’m more touring curious than committed, so the shifts sound like the right direction.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Well, Evo has the Duke PTs at half off right now so this idiot project is moving faster than I expected.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Sorry the lack of snow is is all my fault because I bought 120mm wide skis this year.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Shaggy’s in Michigan makes their skis in their own factory.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Clearly a Duke Nukem 3D fan. So just early middle aged.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Heading out to Utah late March and I am trying to decide if I want to try to get one last Midwest trip in to warm up or if I should just do conditioning on mtb instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Did two days at Deer Valley last week. Day 1 it started at 30 and went to 50; sunny, standard spring conditions. Day 2 it started at 30 and dropped to 20; white out by midafternoon. Would have been awesome if I had not forgotten to put in contacts. Fogged glasses plus iced goggles plus sunny tint lenses plus whiteout at the top made for a very tense ride down.