Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
opensnow says rockies in PNW and northern CO are getting like 1-2 feet by the 9th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Yuns posted:

I know The Good Ride doesn't have a good reputation for reviews but I didn't think much about it until I just saw their most recent review of the Gentemstick XY, a board I own. They said that the tail would wash out and it wouldn't hold an edge and was much better in powder. I have no loving idea what board they rode.

Their review
https://thegoodride.com/snowboard-reviews/gentemstick-xy-2019-snowboard-review/

Me on the XY last season on east coast hardpack

Some random guy not washing out
https://vimeo.com/209492639

Super jealous! Should I demo/rent one?

I've already got stuff booked for my Niseko trip late December but riding a handmade japanese snowboard would be cool :D

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i'm in awe of your willpower. i've lost ~20 lbs so far in prep for my japan ski trip and was feeling good about being 200 lbs :(

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
On a train from Tokyo to Hokkaido now... First tracks of the season are only 8.5 hours away 😐

Tues/Weds should be a powder day tho

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
We're on Jr pass so it's "free", gotta get that value, fourth bullet train ride this trip

Razzled fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 17, 2018

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

harperdc posted:

Haneda-New Chitose is one of the busiest air routes in the world, it would’ve been not much to get a cheap flight there from Tokyo and skip the train travel. That’s far enough that a flight makes sense.

Enjoy though, still haven’t been up there yet. Waiting for good news from the mountains closer to Tokyo, hopefully can get a day or two during the Christmas break.

Ah I see. drat I'm gonna store that for when I do a snowboarding only Japan trip. Makes sense!

Can't wait to demo gentemstick

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
For you guys who have to travel to go ski, what $ amount makes a trip worth it for you?

I'm on ikon this year and am trying to mull over my options for solo trips. I've never actually been out to the popular resorts during peak season-- always early season or late (april+)

Kinda sucks but I have to do a lot of weekend warrioring. Like, I just did the math for MLK Jr weekend and 2 days of skiing would end up being like 600 dollars for the weekend including accomodation, car and flight

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i want the nitro board all the pros use that are bendy as hell to do weird pop tricks like marcus kleveland does out of nowhere

on a side note, i got invited to a breck trip with a bunch of skiiers. i'm not on epic this year so i checked how much the tickets are... 160 a day LOL.

Well, I'll ski with them for like a day-- maybe 2 if someone lets me use their buddy passes.

Otherwise my cheap rear end is going to Copper for free laps!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
it's awesome, i ride +21 +9 on my ride alter ego. doing deep toe side carves is a lot of fun

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i usually turn my music down for the lift line to conversation level, and off if someone asks. i like using one better than ear buds though so i can still hear what's going on around me when i'm going down.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
drat my bad, i guess ill stop using my speaker

also, looks like there will be snow week that i go to breck, so hooray. hopefully there's some at copper too

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
so a guy died in an avalanche.... safety course?

https://coloradosun.com/2019/01/07/silverton-avalanche-peter-marshall-safety-course/

are level 2 courses usually out in actual avalanche territory? i don't know anything about the courses in general but i thought that they were in pretty safe flat areas where you just shovel snow on people and make people dig around for them or something

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I like stance socks! they feel nice with all the ribbing and stuff haw haw

Looks like I'm gonna just miss the little storm in CO :( Always a day late and a dollar short, 6-8" today in breck. i fly in on thursday

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
my friend got made fun of at jackson hole for having cheap poles lmao.
so glad i'm a snowboarder

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
What would I expect to get out of an intermediate level lesson? I've been thinking of taking one to maybe correct whatever bad habits I have picked up in the course of self-tutelage but I don't even know what I'd expect to get out of it.

That said, how are lessons @ Copper? Headed to summit county on thursday!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
cool thanks for the input guys, booked a lesson for saturday at copper. called in to reserve and they gave me a 15% discount for ikon passholder

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

fknlo posted:

Go to Copper if you're on the Ikon, it's what you're looking for. I love it there because it's mostly just long, chill rear end runs. It was pretty good with some fresh snow today. Way better than yesterday for sure.

I've been working on improving my form and saw this page linked on reddit a while back. I was absolutely doing the counter rotation thing they bring up and was getting really bad chatter on my heel edge too. I've been following their advice and I definitely feel like I'm making some pretty good improvements.

I finally made it here today at 7 am and they forgot my boards in Atlanta 🤔. Rental had a new saloman assassin for demo tho so it worked out!
Stoked for tomorrow's dump

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

spwrozek posted:

40% off TREW outwear for men this weekend.

Trewth bib is coming in the clutch, I love mine

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

spwrozek posted:

I don't really think so. I was in some winds in Japan that literally could knock you down and it was all good.

Can confirm. I walked from Niseko Village to JR Hirafu Station at 4AM in the morning with full gear and luggage to make my train back to Tokyo in them. lol.

That poo poo sucked.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Man that lesson at copper was the poo poo! What a great call. I actually missed my saturday lesson because I-70W traffic on saturday morning was so bad it took me an hour to get from frisco to copper (had to park at the conoco and hoof it to the bus stop). The parking lot bros were saying ~8000 people there that day?

So I rescheduled to Sunday and it was perfect. Huge crowds again, but only 2 other people in the adult blue level lessons with 2 instructors for us. The other snowboarders said they were green/blue and I told them I was blue/black so they took us up Union Creek Quad to a green run. Instructor said "alright guys, just show us how you ride and we'll start from there". Well once everyone was strapped up I kinda just hit the gas and flew down the mountain. When we met up again at the bottom the other instructor came up and was like "right so, here's what we're gonna do. other instructor is gonna take those two and work with them and you and i are going over to the blues and blacks". So basically I got private instruction at group lesson rates, I made sure to tip my guy well afterwards

I learned a looot about where I can improve my carving and I have a game plan for what to work on in future trips. The side perk of getting to skip every single lift line on a holiday weekend was loving sweet too. Totally worth the cost of entry (~160 with ikon discount)

I also got to do a free woodward intro session and do front flips off trampolines into foam pits. I don't know how people loving jump huge jumps because just the trampoline was giving me vertigo

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

kiimo posted:

Current Mammoth storm count: over ten feet since last Saturday, not counting what happens today and according to the mountain cams it's "Donner Party" level blizzard still.

holy fuckin poo poo lol, odds of another inbounds avvy?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

spwrozek posted:

Arapahoe basin leaves partnership with Vail. Overall probably good for a basin.

I thought they would as the parking is unsustainable up there. I am kinda pissed they got to make the beavers area in bounds and a lot of the reasoning was rider growth. The split with Vail is all about getting less riders there.

it's great and I hope the lift prices keep it a local friendly mountain. even if i'm not local, i always appreciate the vibe and crowd that abasin attracts. absolutely cannot stand the stuckup whingey people that the premium vail resorts cater to

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
eldora was icy and windy today, so much for that. pounded out laps for a few hours and then went back to the hotel to sleep

hopefully winter park is better!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
winter park was fun as hell, got to test out my new karma grip on a beautiful bluebird day
https://vimeo.com/319608926

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

TMMadman posted:

Hey if you're still going to be there tomorrow my buddy got stuck at work, so I'll be skiing solo.

was just a weekend thing :( wish i could have stayed longer

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
God drat what is going on over there, I was just at WPK and poo poo was blue bird :OO

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
4th gen 4runner if you can find one that's been cared for. they're all equipped with a torsen center diff so they're 4H all the time

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Any cool or new snowboard tech/gear this season? Now that transworld is dead idk what to read for new stuff

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Anyone have experience with gentemstick snowboards?

I want a fun carving board and was looking at the Barracuda HP, but I don't know what the operative difference is between non-hp and HP besides the narrower waist width on the newer HPs

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Can any CO goons recommend eldora for learning how to ski? I live in Louisville so its only an hour or so away (depending on boulder canyon).

As a non co native I didn’t enjoy it. It was icy and windy and I’m told it’s usually like that. This was on a day when summit county resorts were getting 6+ inches.

They do have huge jumps setup so there’s that if you are into it. I’m poo poo so it wasn’t a draw

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Out of the epic pass Denver resorts which one would you guys prefer to take an intermediate group of six for lessons? We'll be staying at Breck but I'd be down to go out to Vail or something

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Plank Walker posted:

East Coast snowboarder going to CO (Winter Park) for the first time next week. Any tips for a rockies noob?

Also, any riders here ever get severe front foot pain? Like 1 run in and my front foot is screaming in pain on any toeside turns or flat sections. Usually "fix" it by loosening my boot, but it lingers for the whole day and kills my confidence. Adjustments I've made this season are adding arch support orthotics (I have super flat feet) and narrowing my stance (from 24" to 21") but so far neither has helped.

I have flat arches and the tighter i do my boots the more mid-foot pain I usually get. Just a tradeoff for responsiveness vs comfort I guess.

I should probably get stiffer bindings/boots for the carving I like to do

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Cancelled my trip to Park City this weekend. Pretty loving bummed. I'm not personally worried about me but I am worried about my parents and my brother didn't feel it was worth the risk to them so we bailed.

Guess my season is over. 47k vert this season so that's cool

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Was Liftopia actually any good? I never used them. Was their whole business model just reselling lift tickets?

When I wasn't sure I was really going to snowboard regularly but still wanted to try out the nicer resorts I used to to use them a lot. The progression of seasonal multi-resort passes kind of killed the appeal once I bought into the sport though.

Sad that they didn't make it, but a sign of the times where every resort is being bought some Vail or some other holding group. Liftopia's origin story was pretty cool and consumer-friendly

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Are you non-local people actually buying passes? The new reservation system and lift rules sound like a miserable experience (re: letter from Vail).
Feel like I already dodged a bullet by cancelling my park city trip back in March (where a bartender was tested positive) and i've kind of just given up on snowboarding in 2020/2021 season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

IncredibleIgloo posted:

A night of research and talking to friends has me leading towards staying in Avon, near Beaver Creek. It is less crowded, still on epic, and during week I can hit up Vail, Breckenridge, and one other epic resort if not too busy. Anyone have any locals info that is common knowledge about that area I might be missing that would make this a bad idea?

Honestly if you get a good midweek day in Vail I have no idea why you'd go to Breck except for dinner and apres ski. I went with a buddy for the first time last season and we got a pow day with hardly anyone around it was glorious. Knee deep in the good poo poo in the back bowls was heaven for my first season on a gentemstick barracuda.