Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

Did you mean to link to an fyad thread instead of this one?

I was very surprised myself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Just received the wonderful stuff that Highme arranged for earlier. I had a question for folks who have used Smith helmets and the associated audio chips. Is the proper way to use them to remove the fabric/foam from the ear muff/cover portion, or do you slide the chips in in front/behind of the foam? If the foam stays in does it matter if the chips go between the foam toward the head or between the foam and outside of head?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Moot . posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2017/01/13/worlds-best-ski-resorts-telluride-wows-with-charm-scenery-great-skiing/

Noted ski expert Forbes Magazine thinks Telluride is the tits and that proofreading articles is for pussies.

It makes me want to visit. Is the article wrong?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

bawfuls posted:

that's one of those "Forbes" articles that is really just some guy's blog that Forbes lets you publish on their site for a fee or whatever

Well, hope they get some sort of kickback for it. I am looking at the Telluride trail map right now. I can't fly private though.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Flying into telluride is terrifying

Is that just the local private airport or the nearby public ones as well? I am scared of flying. :ohdear:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Local mountain, Mt. Hood meadows, is doing a "preview day" tomorrow. They will have the beginners lift open from 11-4. And that is it. They have about a foot of snow, maybe foot and a half. I imagine it will be an amazing shitshow. Lift has about 100 feet vertical.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Took my son, 11, out to the mountain today to start the season. He brushed off the cobwebs no problem. Had a lot of fun and looking forward to making and meeting some goals. Want to ski 20 times this season.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Rained all day at Mt. Hood, but still had some fun. Got totally soaked by the end of it. On the drive home there was a small rockslide and I hit a rock the size of a large pumpkin or regular sized watermelon. Pretty much destroyed one tire rim, but luckily there was a pull off about a quarter mile after. Luckily the rain washed away the ice and I made it back to town on 3 studded tires and one non studded spare. Tire place won't have a wheel for me for two days, but I work then and don't care. Should be mountain ready by my next day off, Sunday.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have only been skiing a couple seasons now, but have noticed some behaviours on the mountain that I find, well, questionable. I was wondering if the wonderful skiing goon hive-mind could weigh in on a few behaviours for me. Are these faux pas or am I just a grumpy old?

--People wearing speakers/boombox like things blasting their music for everyone around them. This is especially bad when waiting in a lift line when the lift attendants have their own (usually a much better choice/selection) music playing.

--People in a crowded lift line not filling/blocking people from filling up a lift seat to designed capacity.

--People smoking weed in front of kids. I imagine this is much more an Oregon/Colorado thing than a Utah thing.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mongoose posted:

Sorry, I'm a speaker bad. I keep a UE Roll in my backpack and listen to ambient music while I ride lifts alone and ride trees. Headphones cut off awareness and especially for solo riding it's nice to have a rhythm so I don't get too in my head overthinking about what I'm doing next. I turn it off when loading lifts, though lifts are usually no-wait-ride-on where I am. Japanese people mostly refuse to fill lift chairs to capacity, almost all quads end up with 2 people riding them. No weed here, but lots of beer and sake, mostly consumed at the restaurants or just outside.

That is very interesting about them not filling chairs to capacity. After riding the train when I visited Japan I would have thought Japan would be the place where they know how to pack a lift.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Spent my first day at Sun Valley today and it was a lot of fun. My sibling is still learning so we spent the day at Dollar Mountain. Since I am renting equipment here for the trip I decided to move up from beginner skis and boots to type 2/intermediate equipment. My boots that I own only have a flex of 60, so very soft, so it is quite the change for me. They have a free bus here that is really convenient.

For socks I really enjoy Eurosocks. They seem to be comfortable and about the same price as others. I hate the feeling of raw wool, so I may be biased. Link below to the ones I like.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M10ETWD/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I can't imagine not wearing socks. Although if you have a comfortable enough liner it might not be too bad.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

highme posted:

I'm going to work a banked slalom tomorrow in 50 degree weather.

I am sending my girlfriend's daughter up to Meadows tomorrow for her first ski lesson. I imagine she might develop a false sense of what it feels like skiing most of the time.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Received my super sweet new ski poles! Thanks for the tip on em!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

highme posted:

If I can't ride pow I'm all in for slush laps. I just wish I was going to be able to do something other than sit in the timing shack and sweat. I might be able to grab a few early laps, and although it's relatively warm up here right now, I'm expecting it to be pretty firm.

Are you part of the Meadows Race Team or do you help out with another league? I am interested in trying to get my son into a league next season, when he will be 12 and I am wondering if anyone has any advice for getting a kid on a team. The Meadows Race Team group for his age bracket seems just a little bit out of his ability level unfortunately. He can do Stadium and Nastar Hill (Easier blues) but the Meadows Race team seems to suggest the kids need to be able to do Cascade and Shooting Star, and I am worried that is just a bit much for him and my ability to teach him.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Moot . posted:

beach life best life

That looks very nice! Where is that at?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Moot . posted:

Telleride

Cool! I have heard that it is just wonderful there. I even think there was an article in thread about it earlier. I really wanted to go there this year, but it seems like it is quite difficult to get to if you are not already within driving distance? The closest airport (for non mega wealth) is Montrose and I think that was about 2 hours away, and expensive? Any tips on trying to visit there from afar? I ended up booking a trip to Deer Valley instead this year because it was easier to get to, but maybe if I plan a little more in advance I could arrange a trip there for a more reasonable cost. Is it good for families?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Went to SkiBowl today. Their main chair at the base was installed in 1946 and has not been upgraded. It has no safety bar and travels amazingly slow. It was unique. SkiBowl itself seems like a fun little place though.

I am trying to go to each Mt. Hood ski place once during the season. Have a Meadows season pass, been there 12 times, Skibowl today, Cooper Spur once. Just have Timberline Lodge left.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Today marks my 20th time skiing this season. My goal is 30 and at this rate I am pretty sure I am going to make it. Now if I could only get good at it!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

kiimo posted:

Current Mammoth storm count: over ten feet since last Saturday, not counting what happens today and according to the mountain cams it's "Donner Party" level blizzard still.

Their cams and pictures are amazing!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

highme posted:

Current forecast for Hood is 6-10" of new with highs in the teens on Saturday & single digits on Sunday. I have a comp to work on both days and I've never wanted to see our events cancelled so badly.

Meadows was at least nice to ski tonight. They have canceled at least one bus from Portland, so your event might also be in some crosshairs. Supposed to get between 3 and 4 feet on Monday/Monday night. Monday is normally my favorite ski day, but I may have to miss this one.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Since the movers lost some of my ski gear (cunts), I’ve now bought another pair of bright orange ski pants.

Looking at somewhere up in NH/VT area. Wife doesn’t ski but is willing to try again - any family friendly recommendations?

I have never been but have heard good things about Smuggler's Notch. I looked into a few places around there and it looks like there are a couple options. By family friendly do you need more green/blue runs, or are you more interested in making sure they have good lessons/daycare options? If crowds are a worry I would imagine going further North would get you further away from NY and crowds.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot to post.

I'm at copper mountain all this week, til Sunday. Any other goons here during that time?

Also I just Amazon primed some replacement lenses to the lodge I'm at, it's a super bougiee vacation hell yeah

Wish I was! Can you tell us some more about your sweet goggles?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I know some Oregoons were posting about Meadows earlier. I found the full size background images they were using and it is very clear that it is another lodge, between the Providence Hospital building and the existing lodge ski school area.

Picture showing it connecting to ski school:

Picture showing walking bridge:

Also, something cool to note, is that in Timberline Lodge's master development plan they are going to build a new lodge at the base of Molly's lift that will have a snow play area, a tubing area, and about 400 more parking spots. It will be called Molly's Portal. It is detailed on pages 63 and 64 of the below pdf:

https://www.timberlinelodge.com/images/pdf/TIMBERLINE_2019_MASTER_PLAN.pdf

So, all in all, exciting time for us Oregoons!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

il serpente cosmico posted:

Hopefully more parking at Timberline will encourage more people to go there and lighten the load at Meadows a bit.

That would be great! I come from The Dalles so Meadows is closer to me and my preferred resort, compared to Timberline. On the weekends they run the free bus I tend to take it, it works out really well. Next year I am probably going to have my son on one of the ski/riding teams though so will have to be up there too early for the bus.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

il serpente cosmico posted:

I wonder what the "limited offering" will be? A brick with my name on it or whatever?

They are offering 1,250 "Sahale Gold" passes; a pay up front 5 year season pass.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Those are awesome, looks like fun!

Heading out to Deer Valley tomorrow, will be my first time skiing in Utah. Really looking forward to it. I am thinking my 11 year old is going to have a great time too. Anyone have any recommendations for a place to eat in Park City that is not pretentious or super expensive? Maybe like a locals spot or something?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I will give a full trip report of my ski trips at the end of the season, I promise. But mini trip report from Deer Valley:
Great for kids. Phenomenal service. Beautiful area. Lodging is amazing. Better for beginners than Sun Valley. Easy to fly to, took a Lyft up to the resort. Literally considering moving to Utah. The biggest con, and it is a *big* one, is that the price is very high.

Also, one of the hotels has a "funicular" that goes up a hill. It is like a train and gondola mix. You can ride it for free!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

nwin posted:

Hey so I’m moving to warmer weather and with a newborn I don’t have any time to ski with some new gear I bought two years ago.

I’ve used the boots and skis a total of 4 times and I’m wondering what I should be able to get for them.

The skis are volkl RTM 75 with 4 motion bindings in size 166.

Here’s a link to specifications:

https://www.coloradoskishop.com/Vol...=shoppingengine

The boots are tecnica Mach 1 MV size 26.5 boots.

Any ideas? Just looking to get rid of them so I don’t have to move with them. The skis will include some poles and a bag, and the boots come with a bag as well.

What is the flex on the boots? It looks like the MV range goes from 100-130 and that can influence the price by a bit I would imagine.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Being a slightly softer flex might adjust the price down a bit, but maybe not substantially. Do you think they are a tight/just right/loose fit for the size? The reason I ask is because that is my size, but I have found that Dalbello boots (the favored boot of the local store) really don't fit quite right and are tight on top of all places... I just purchased some Dalbello MX 90s and, well, unfortunately their shape tortures my feet so I am looking into new boots to replace the new new boots with. So, that being said, I feel it would be inappropriate to give you price advice because my level of knowledge just isn't there, and I could be interested in acquiring them.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I just purchased a Subaru Crosstrek and am loving it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yuns posted:

I think people who are not from the area don't realize how extreme Mt. Washington is and expect the east coast backcountry to be a joke compared to places like the Rockies because of the smaller mountains and lower altitude. Because it's only 6000+ feet and because it's so close to cities, people don't appreciate it can be literally one of the coldest and windiest places on earth during winter. They also may not realize how dangerous Mt.Washington can be because of the carnival atmosphere of spring skiing Tucks. There's a reason why people don't ski it in the winter and wait until spring.

Here is footage of the rescue team searching for Kate Matrosova who died while hiking the range in the winter a few years back. You can see how extreme the weather is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP4u6VyrgCk

That video is intense.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have two of these bags and will say they are great!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

They ain't closing this year. It's all hands on deck.

How are the conditions there? I know that the snow conditions at Mt. Hood on the last few days of the season were just too sticky and not fun to ski in, at least for me. Is it still cold enough that you are skiing on good snow?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Someone in this thread turned me on to Panda Poles, and I absolutely love mine. I just received an email that they will no longer be taking online orders starting July 25th, so if you want some, now is the time to order them.

https://www.pandapoles.com/

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

HookShot posted:

Don't come to Whistler, and I don't mean that because there are too many people here (there are), I'd much rather have someone who actually knows what the gently caress they're doing instead of the idiots who can't get on the gondola properly, but we're honestly so far above capacity that it has been ruining the experience for a lot of people who come up.

Unless you like waiting in gridlocked traffic for two hours on the only road in and out of town, waiting hours for service anywhere because every business in town is short-staffed, paying hundreds of dollars a night for a lovely hotel and then riding completely packed runs on a mountain that's getting so hosed by climate change there's a decent chance it'll rain on you at some point.

But yeah that will 100% happen and it will suck even more, but from what I'm hearing word is getting out to a lot of epic pass holders that Whistler sucks now and there are better options. I love living here, but I would absolutely not come here for my weekly western skiing holiday. There are waayyyyyy better options out there.

Hi HookShot,
My father is adamant that we visit Whistler this year and I unfortunately cannot seem to talk him out of it. Would these issues still exist if we were targeting the trip for a Monday arrival and Friday morning departure, with the skiing being midweek? We were looking at the 20th, arriving right as the Americans are wrapping up MLK weekend. My father does not skii much and might not even skii there, but he wants to see the mountain. So he would be doing off mountain things, so if the service would be bad there the whole week, that might be good to know ahead of time. I tried to convince him we should go to Sunriver/Mt. Bachelor instead, but he says they are "Not nearly as iconic as Whistler!" and won't be convinced unfortunately.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Disinterested posted:

Everyone in a ski town is a realtor

When I visited Sun Valley about half the people I rode the lift with were realtors/folks trying to sell me property. It was nuts. When they found out I was not anywhere near rich enough to afford a house in one of the most expensive ski towns in the country they dropped the sales talk pretty quickly though.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Dangerllama posted:

A-Basin now on the Ikon.

I have mixed feelings.

Are those feelings anger and disappointment?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I imagine that if my local mountain, Mt. Hood were to be purchased by Ikon/Epic I would probably go to other Ikon/Epic resorts and probably the most well known ones, which I think would probably be disliked by the locals. But when I travel to ski, I take vacation and only like to ski weekdays. So, maybe a mixed bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have one more quick Whistler question for my Whistler residing Goon friends.

Is it easy to get around there without driving? I am looking at staying at a place in the "Upper Village" but am a tad worried it might be hard for my elderly parents to make their way to the village center. Am I worrying too much here, or should I be looking for a place closer to village center?