Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Disinterested posted:

We always talk about brands we like for outdoor wear and equipment, but is there anyone you guys won't buy poo poo from?

Burton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mongoose posted:

Korua Vol. 7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCN0MQdDE0I

Spring (summer?) party boarding, not the usual carving.

That is about a million times more interesting that the standard 'lets spin like a top over the biggest jump possible'.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mongoose posted:

Come to Japan! We have lots of bank yards / flow parks / natural gullies. Small mountains but lots of snow so we make the best of it.

It's on the list! I do go to Japan fairly often, but it's always out of season :/

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That's one of the worst made pieces of TV news I've seen a long time. They must have been extremely bored and decided to attempt to be creative?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A lot less people. A lot more terrain. Grooming is so-so, so if you prefer groomers, Baker is not the place. Food is good and cheap.
Lifts are ancient.
The main thing is that you need half-decent snow for Baker to be worthwhile.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

Haha what the gently caress who makes fun of people for that?

Good. I take great glee in our mountain being one of the two to gently caress it up for them. How the gently caress do you manage to get fewer visits when the USD is at like $1.35?

Normally my facebook feed is full of people at Whistler this time of year...I've seen 1 so far and that was a company event. Guess the day trippers did spend a significant amount of coin there.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

bawfuls posted:

The sneaky private lesson for public rates is the best.

I've found you can get it somewhat frequently if you're above ~advanced intermediate, because people at that skill level are generally happy with where they're at and don't see lessons as worthwhile.

Mt Baker is awesome for that. Did 2 advanced 'group' lessons there, but I was the only one on the group. My wife did several 'advanced beginner' lessons and only one time had another student in her 'group;.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

Hey Vancouver people how likely is it that Grouse has enough snow to hold a slalom race next week I want to know if I need to mentally prepare to race slalom at home instead, since I plan on skipping the Grouse races because I don't want to drive into the city at the beginning of a race series.

Highly likely. While they haven't had a ton of snow, we also haven't had any real warm fronts pass through and I'm pretty sure they've been running the snow guns over the last week or so. (And it's forecast to stay cold for another week).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

How did this storm decide to stop at the Canadian border? We're getting basically nothing.

Well, It's been snowing since 2pm in Vancouver and we got 2" already. Everyone is driving at 5km/h and my 10 minute drive to work took 40 minutes.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Moey posted:

The worst the people in the rental Suburbans with poo poo all season tires. They probably don't have a ton of exp driving in snow and assume 4wd "just works".

Driving up to Cypress one snowy day, I saw no less than 3 AMGs in the ditch...all of them with low profile summer tires. (Vancouver.txt).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

My last trip to Whistler ( 3 years ago) was a mid week day, deliberately planned to avoid the crowds...and everything was tracked out by 10am and had 20 min line-ups.
Roughly around the same time the Whistler mayor said that they didn't want day-trippers from the lower mainland, because they brought their own lunch and didn't spent enough.
I haven't been back since.
When I moved to Vancouver 10 years ago, a local single day ticket was $70 (Edge cards were even cheaper!)...it's now $140+ and my salary sure as hell hasn't doubled in that time frame.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah. my fault. I signed up for a Cypress pass this year. Sorry. (Last time was 2015)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

You haven't truly skied Whistler until you're facing straight down the fall line in 30cm of powder and standing still because it's so wet.

Early on in my 'career' I was at Baker, partly with the intention of getting a cheap advanced lesson (Lessons are much cheaper there). Tons of fresh snow, instructor was stoked when he realized that I wasn't a beginner. Getting off the chair, he goes 'follow me, but not too close', turns into the 'powder' and promptly endos onto his face as the 'powder' is soaking wet. I , as I was following, managed to just miss him and face plant right next to him. Waist high fresh snow and completely unrideable. We knew it wouldn't be ideal, but was not expecting it to be that bad!!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

And that right there is one of the reasons why I do not ever take the Peak 2 Peak.

Seriously?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm thinking of getting new boots and bindings. Boots will probably be a pair of ThirtyTwo Lashed, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for in bindings.
I got a 5 year old pair of Ride Rodeos, probably got 60 days on them. Has binding tech changed much in the last 5 years?
All mountain riding.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

It's more expensive right now to ski in the states with the exchange rate. The dollar just sucks too much right now. But I mean, price it out anyway, you never know.

Mt Baker is still dirt cheap :D

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

And you can't get to it without a car, as the OP wants.

(Even if there are shuttles, are you really going to recommend to someone to stay in Bellingham for their fun skiing holiday?)

They're willing to rent a car. Rent a nice place in Glacier. A whole house, usually costs less than a single hotel room in Whistler.
The big gotcha is the variable weather. If you get crappy weather, there really is nothing to do...which may be fine for some.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I see millions of people at Vancouver Airports (and associated transist) with softcases. Pretty sure it's not an issue.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

"Historically Whistler opens around the 17th of November, which is ten days from now, so it should be looking pretty good up the-"

Hahaha, I did exactly the same yesterday.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Whistler opens Friday, visible snow on the North Shore mountains and at least a week of cold weather...Cypress better be running the snowguns 24/7.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cypress opens Friday. I wont bother until another storm has come through. (Although their snowmaking is pretty good)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I've done it a couple of times and found it highly beneficial. If I get riding regularly again this, I'll probably do another one.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

If you look like you're over 30, don't bother with the BoardRoomShop in Vancouver. Go to Pacific Boarder or Comor instead, (if you want any service that is).
Tyler at Pacific Boarder is easily the best snowboard boot guy I've ever dealt with. I almost bought a pair of Vans, but we agreed that I should try Comor instead as they had a different selection and I might find the perfect pair there. This is after more than an hour trying out boots, footbeds, etc.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I actually got out riding last night. (First time in 2 years!). Always that sketchy moment when getting off the lift the first time, but yeah, I still know how to ride a board. Legs are crying today, though.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yes

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

spwrozek posted:

Always warmer in the uphill too. Looks awesome.

Flying out tonight to ole Canada. Saturday and skinning can't come soon enough.

Extreme avalanche risk in the Rockies/West coast right now.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

15/0 is a good place to start.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I just got some Now Drive bindings and are very happy. They got a stiffer version still, but that would be too much for me. Not exactly cheap, though.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Huh, that's just silly. Moderate speed, giving plenty of space to other people and well in control.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Elysium posted:

Regardless of how you feel about the dude and whether or not you think he should or shouldn't have been allowed to ride that way on that slope, the hosed up thing about the video is where the Yellow Jacket stops the dude, and then stops his friends, and then points at some completely random other boarder and is like "oh yeah you too buddy you're all going down for this poo poo" event though he's just some guy, and then that boarder ignores him and he's just like "ok gently caress it you can go." Now you might say "well of course he realized that boarder wasn't with them and doesn't need a talking to so it makes sense that he lets him go" but then you realize he didn't actually see anybody do anything really wrong, he just wanted to be a dick and pull over anyone he thought he could give a talking to regardless of whether or not they were truly guilty of something. He almost pulls over a completely random novice just to power trip.

Nah, that guy is just working with the information that he's got. It's the 2 others that are lying through their teeth. (Girl and the old dude)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Is it just a Vancouver thing, where people think that going up a mountain in low-profile summer tires during a snow storm is a good idea?.
The road wasn't even bad, but there was several cars in the ditch (despite traffic moving at like 20km/h).
Similar when leaving, there was sooo many people stuck in parking lot, or getting stuck trying to exit, blocking the road.
I know this was the first real powder day of the season (and it was pretty sweet!), but still.

On the plus side, my new boot/binding combination is awesome. (Vans infusion/Now Drive). So much more control.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

Apparently it snowed a shitload in Whistler and things are good now (I haven't been there since this started so I haven't seen it first-hand) but the avy danger is so high that a lot of the alpine hasn't been opening at all.

I DNFed two slalom races in a row, but that's ok. I got a bunch of training in today. I was only like ten gates from the finish, too, LOL. I'm still riding the high of two great GS results.

It's dumping snow in downtown Vancouver. I really want to take tomorrow off!!!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

oh god call in the army

We have an army?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Math You posted:

So my trip to big white is just over a week away. I checked their rental catalog and it seems pretty good. Having only ridden 4 snowboards in my life I'm pretty tempted to give the rentals a shot.

Anybody way cooler than me want to take a look at this list and point out some of the cooler boards? I currently ride a fullbag diamond blade for reference. Buttering and riding switch isn't too high on my list of priorities!

I'd take a Jones Mountain twin, probably even a day on the Hovercraft, if the conditions are good. (Should be with all the systems coming in).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

No, you can easily walk to the peak 2 peak. No tickets needed. (other than getting up to the gondola itself).
Blackcomb glacier can be epic with fresh snow, but otherwise I wouldn't bother. Hookshot probably knows it better than me.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ola posted:

GPS on your phone can be very accurate. Particularly in a car because it correctly assumes you are in contact with the surface on a well mapped road,so it can snap to the most likely position. When testing my phone against speed warning signs on the road and it's accurate to the whole digit every time.

But on skis, you might be many meters above the mapped surface and there is no road to snap your position to. The elevation data can be sparse, so the exact position gets interpolated and may make all sorts of incorrect assumptions. When I run on my local athletics track, which is of course flat as a pancake, I get 10-15 m of vertical distance on every lap because it sits on a hillside and the mapping software thinks the track follows the coarse gradient of the hill. This throws off the speed and distance figures as well, but only by a few percent.

Bad coverage can also lead to weird things. On one my latest runs my position glitched and my recorded top speed was 300 kph...

But if your phone says you did 95 and it's not a single spike of 95 but consistent numbers over a few seconds, then you very likely did not go slower than 90. It definitely isn't very safe though, unless the surroundings are extraordinarily smooth with wide visibility.

You greatly over estimate the accuracy of GPS, especially in mountains where the signals can be blocked and/or bounce off the mountains. Similarly when you drive in the city and your phone GPS will freak out.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Laserface posted:

just do this anyway.

I avoid any issues with my snow gear losing its water repellent capabilities by never, ever washing them. Thats always been the turning point between my gear keeping my dry or not.

For goretex you need to wash it to keep it waterproof.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, I have a non-snow related trip to Japan planned in late March, but the Corona thing may put the planned events at risk.
I can't get a refund on my flight ticket, so I'm now thinking of bringing my snowboard and head up to Hokkaido instead.
What resorts should I look at?. I'd have ~7 days or so, although may stop by some friends in Tohoku on the way.
Trying to keep it to a reasonably budget. I speak a little Japanese and can in general, get around on my own.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Huh, for some reason I thought their season extended for longer.
Historical data further down this page, but March look terrible most years!

https://www.snowjapan.com/japan-daily-snow-weather-reports/Niseko-Now/snowfall-analysis

Well, so much for that idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hookshot, is Whistler significantly more quiet now?. Debating whether to break my embargo next week...