Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Let's get some snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

Top Quark posted:

Also why are smith replacement lenses so goddamn expensive hnghh

I can get lenses on that pro-form I posted about near the end of the last thread. They're still a bit spendy, but definitely more affordable.

highme
May 25, 2001

If I had to choose a single skiing or snowboarding competition to watch for the rest of my life it would be downhill. That poo poo is living.

highme
May 25, 2001

Private lessons, or some kind of "steeps clinic" would be the best bets. Do that in the AM, then go throw yourself down some faces to work on what you've learned.

highme
May 25, 2001

harperdc posted:

This makes at least two goons with recent Jeopardy appearances.

I had to double check I wasn't reading the MLS thread.

highme
May 25, 2001

Mongoose posted:

Korua Vol. 7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCN0MQdDE0I

Spring (summer?) party boarding, not the usual carving.

That's Holy Bowly. An annual "flow park" build out that's hosted at different spots each year. Last year it was at Timberline. Fun fact: the old burned out looking guy at the very beginning is one our regular judges. He's kind of a train wreck.

highme
May 25, 2001

Get the Orca.

highme
May 25, 2001

Yuns posted:

I'm super excited for the beginning of the northeast/midatlantic season. I've dropped from 240 lbs at 35%+ percent body fat last season to 150 lbs at about 8% now so it's going to be interesting to see how all my snowboards ride when I'm 90 lbs lighter. Landing jumps is going to be way way easier on my body now though.

drat homie, I went from 240ish to 210ish and was feeling like a boss.

highme
May 25, 2001

Dangerllama posted:

How do we like the chips headphones? Better than just shoving some AirPods up in there?

I have a pair of wired and wireless. They are the best helmet specific headphones I've tried. Unfortunately, my helmet fits better without the liner so I have no way use them anymore.

highme
May 25, 2001

Thinking really hard about flying to Denver for the Icelantic Ice on the Rocks festival. It's on my birthday & one of my favorite acts of all time is on the bill (De La Soul) and none of the other artists suck (Atmosphere, Living Legends & Watsky).

highme
May 25, 2001

spwrozek posted:

Hand drags on big toe side turns! I am not sure what else can be better, especially in powder!

Hand drags on heel side slashes in slush? Well, not better than anything in powder.

highme
May 25, 2001

Admiral Bosch posted:

I went snowboarding for the first time for 3 days last year, and bought the Ikon this year. I finally figured out how to get down a mountain without falling. This poo poo owns

Where are you based out of?

highme
May 25, 2001

ante posted:

My snowboard goes sideways, bindings out, tip dragging along the concrete though

This Master Level version of this technique is to hold your board by the front heel loop while you drag the tail.

highme
May 25, 2001

Y'all are killing me. On my way to the Oakland airport to fly home after a long weekend in LA/SF. The soonest I can get to a chairlift is Friday night.

In order to feel like I'm still part of the thread I'm going to have to see if I can design a run of poles. Not that I have any understanding of what I'm doing.

highme
May 25, 2001

I grew up skiing before switching to snowboarding 30+ years ago and not one time have I referred to what I do on a snowboard as "skiing". YMMV

highme
May 25, 2001

Terje rides switch better than any of us ride regular with some ridiculous stance angles like 25/15.

I've moved back to a positive rear angle on my directional boards after years of duckfootedness. I keep the 15/-15 on the twin though because I like to pretend I'm still in need of a park specific twin in the spring at Timberline.

highme
May 25, 2001

:drat:

That didn't happen when you were trying to be Terje did it?

All joking aside, WTF mate? Was that today or a previous injury?

highme
May 25, 2001

You'll be ok, but if you want to hold off until you're sure you want to continue it's not the worst option. Also, just go to Loveland. It's the closest I-70 resort, relatively cheap and they have a whole side of a mountain that's just beginner poo poo to mellow blues.

highme
May 25, 2001

They do a good job of it on the single seaters.

highme
May 25, 2001

I too have had some pairs of Smartwool socks for years. I usually wear a thinner pair of AK or Stance socks, though anything merino would be fine.

highme
May 25, 2001

On one of my days this year I saw a couple in matching home & away LaMarcus Alridge Trailblazer jerseys over their jackets. LaMarcus hasn't played in Portland for at least 2 years.

highme
May 25, 2001

Moral_Hazard posted:

My 40 plus year old rear end went snowboarding for the first time in five years and I forgot how much fun it is. :v:

Simmer down young un'.

highme
May 25, 2001

Oh yeah, outerwear talk. I just grabbed a Volcom Guch Stretch jacket, it's loving amazing. Trew is also having a clearance sale at their storefront that is a half mile from my office, probably going to stop in to see what they have later.

With that said, I have an XL Homeschool Universe III jacket in black I'm selling. Burly as gently caress, but they run kinda large and I've lost enough weight since buying it that it no longer fit properly (plus my kid's employee discount put that Guch jacket into my price point).

highme
May 25, 2001

I'm going to work a banked slalom tomorrow in 50 degree weather.

highme
May 25, 2001

il serpente cosmico posted:

I, too, am going up to Meadows to enjoy some 50 degree riding. My girlfriend loves spring conditions, and I aim to please.

If I can't ride pow I'm all in for slush laps. I just wish I was going to be able to do something other than sit in the timing shack and sweat. I might be able to grab a few early laps, and although it's relatively warm up here right now, I'm expecting it to be pretty firm.

highme
May 25, 2001

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Are you part of the Meadows Race Team or do you help out with another league?

I'm on the board of the Oregon Interscholastic Snowboard Association, we do high school competitions. I'm the "official" timer, so I spend 6 to 8 days a season pushing buttons on an expensive Tag Heuer piece of plastic.

highme
May 25, 2001

I was surprised how well the snow held up on Saturday. The fastest times set were all in the 2nd run. I got to take a handful of laps after our slopestyle comp yesterday around 3. I rode Stadium because it was still in full sun and it was a little sticky at the bottom. Though, I haven't waxed my board for a minute and that probably has as much as anything to do with it being a bit grabby.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Went to SkiBowl today. Their main chair at the base was installed in 1946 and has not been upgraded. It has no safety bar and travels amazingly slow. It was unique. SkiBowl itself seems like a fun little place though.

I am trying to go to each Mt. Hood ski place once during the season. Have a Meadows season pass, been there 12 times, Skibowl today, Cooper Spur once. Just have Timberline Lodge left.

Ski bowl has the best terrain on Hood when the snow level is low enough. I'd suggest picking up a Timberline spring pass for $100 when they go on sale. They're good through Memorial Day weekend officially but have been extended into the first weekend in June the last couple of years.

highme
May 25, 2001

Ikon still the better option.

highme
May 25, 2001

Current forecast for Hood is 6-10" of new with highs in the teens on Saturday & single digits on Sunday. I have a comp to work on both days and I've never wanted to see our events cancelled so badly.

highme
May 25, 2001

spwrozek posted:

It was caused by a massive gas leak. Had to shut it down and in turn a lot of distribution. But we are working hard to get everything back to normal.

Was going to ask if you had anything to do with this.

highme
May 25, 2001

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Meadows was at least nice to ski tonight. They have canceled at least one bus from Portland, so your event might also be in some crosshairs. Supposed to get between 3 and 4 feet on Monday/Monday night. Monday is normally my favorite ski day, but I may have to miss this one.

We make those decisions, not Meadows, and we have postponed our slopestyle until March 3rd.

spwrozek posted:

My group personally doesn't. I did receive a bunch of emails saying "be ready to do anything to support" though. Not a great time for a leak that is for sure.

The snow is supposed to linger in Portland for a week or so. I'm already anticipating missing pow turns because I'm sitting in a company truck for hours on end waiting for crews to take control of the scene on Wire Down duty.

highme
May 25, 2001

Mt. Hood is supposed to get 3 feet or more starting tonight into Tuesday. I dont think I'm working Tuesday

It's absolutely gorgeous up here today.

https://twitter.com/highme/status/1094659234732462080?s=19

https://twitter.com/highme/status/1094659394078310401?s=19

highme
May 25, 2001

um...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

highme
May 25, 2001

Fortunately for Portland, the storm came in warmer than forecast. Unfortunately for Hood, the storm came in warmer than forecast.

It's still mid-20s up there, but the blower we got over the last few days was incredible.

highme
May 25, 2001

Yuns posted:

Yes! Also, Bridger is also really a locals mountain. It's run by a local non-profit organization set up to run it. Not a ton of amenities, low prices and tons of locals with most of the tourists going to Big Sky instead. I love the vibe at Bridger.

I was waiting out traffic with a couple of slices and a pint at the Ratskellar in Govy on Sunday. While sitting at the bar one of the bartenders friends was talking about how great her trip to Montana was and how nobody gave a poo poo if you ducked ropes.

I asked, "so you weren't at Bridger then?" She replied, "Nope, Big Sky."

highme
May 25, 2001

I've never ridden a Niche board, but have heard nothing but good things about them. I believe that they've moved all production to the Mothership (Capita's factory) too.

Also, I've never ridden in South Korea, but I wouldn't go in with high expectations.

My sister lived in Seoul for four years, I think they went once or twice and decided that flying to Japan was the better move.

highme
May 25, 2001

Probably not the best solution, but what kind of MTB goggles are they? I know Smith makes snow & MTB versions of the Squad & Squad XL, if it's something like that you'll probably have enough venting to make it work.

Nevermind, didn't see there was another page. I've got some new Electric EG2s that I can sell for $25 plus shipping. https://www.backcountry.com/electric-eg2-goggle

highme fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 22, 2019

highme
May 25, 2001

Conditions at Meadows today were ridiculous. The timing shack at the bottom of the halfpipe was firing. The good news is today was our last banked slalom/boardercross day & we only have 2 more comps (next weekend) before State Finals.

I did get 2 laps early, but was constrained to the west side. I will say that I took a walk to my usual piss spot and the tree wells in there were pretty sketch.

highme
May 25, 2001

I'm also never going up on 26 on a peak weekend again. We look 84 to 35 and it's only 10 minutes slower than 26 is on optimal days, and it's much more consistent. It's taken me over three hours to get home on 26. gently caress that noise.

The Hood River route is clutch, especially if you live near 84 anyway. When we were leaving Saturday around 4:30 I was shocked at how little traffic there was. I had thought about taking 35 before checking traffic, but carpooled with a couple of friends who had parked in Sandy so it wasn't really an option.

I think it was last winter, there was a Saturday that I left the same time our bus did. I turned left out of the lot and stopped in Hood River for a beer and food before continuing home. It took me about 2.5 hours to get to Tualatin. As I pulled into my driveway I sent a text to a friend on the bus to see where they were. They had just passed Welches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

In conclusion, weekends at Meadows at rough, and they've gotten noticeably worse over the past 5 years or so. Lots of folks moving to the area, and they all like to ski, apparently. I've also noticed that crowded parking doesn't necessarily make for crowded slopes. People like to take a few runs and then sit in the bar, I guess.

If I'm not driving through Govy by 7:30 on a contest day I'm hosed.