Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

pardon my boner, but i'm looking forward to ski season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

born on the mountain, raised in a cave

huckin and fuckin is all that I crave

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Disinterested posted:

I'm willing to say Smartwool suck now that they're leaving Steamboat.

boooo

Here's hoping their employees all quit and start a coop together. gently caress getting relocated from steamboat to denver.

GE did that to a satellite office in my town a while back, and moved the whole operation from the UP to North Carolina. Pretty much the entire workforce told them to get hosed and now most of them work for an employee-owned engineering services company that's doing quite well thank you very much.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

"If you are flying private, there’s no major ski resort other than maybe Aspen that’s easier to get to."

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

drat dude way to go. It's going to be like a whole different sport.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

HookShot posted:

Knuckle drags on skis. I maintain that is the best non-powder related feeling on snow.

Huuuuuge fast tele carves on hero snow are right up there.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Disinterested posted:

The way people with a median or lower salary afford skiing is either by skiing somewhere relatively inexpensive (say, A-Basin), bending all their savings dollars towards it, or by working for a mountain.

or by living in the midwest and skiing manmade snow on tiny hills with a billion other people bussed in from the nearest population center

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Ola posted:

After running intervals, I xc ski'd one lap of the local athletics track. About 1/2" of snow/light hail. Good pole bite in the tartan track. Yeah I'm getting pretty desperate.

https://twitter.com/OlaMarvin/status/1070041287670329345

we're about two weeks into xc season here and they've finally started setting classic tracks. I'm doing a 50k race in late january on skate skis and am so so hosed. I did the 24k version last year on about as much total prep as I've done in the past 10 days and it was fun and I only cramped on a hill and stopped four people dead behind me once, so why not do the full distance?

my big takeaway so far with this sport is that skating is a ritualistic act of self-embarrassment via lungs, legs, coordination, and fashion.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Ola posted:

Haha, yeah! Where is the race? I'm doing 38 km in April, Skarverennet in the Norwegian mountains. It's starts with 230 m climb over 5k, at present a 20 m climb knocks all the air out of me for a good few minutes. Hope to build some technique and endurance before then. It got cancelled due to bad weather last season, hope it works out this time. It looks like a fantastic experience when the weather is good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek1cyTWtFmc

Dang that looks gorgeous and brutal with those extended open climbs. We simply don't have that kind of terrain around here, but plenty of punchy rolling hills.

The race I'm doing is the Noquemanon in Marquette, Michigan. The half version is rad because it's net ~900ft/250m of sometimes terrifying descending but the first half has a lot of sharp up and down:

My wife and I were going to do the American Birkebiener this year in wisconsin but we have a ski patrol exam that weekend. I was pit crew for her last year and it's an insane amount of people that show up, like 10,000+ racers. Just a constant steady stream for hours and hours on end.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

spwrozek posted:

They all came without releasable bindings at first. Hilarious if the still make them. I love seeing people trying to ride them on a powder day.

did they ever come with releasable bindings? i've only ever used an OG pair of snowblades that i got when I was like 11

those things fuckin ruled. we used to take em out on powder days and see how many moguls we could clear while intentionally cratering

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

we have a pair of teleblades stashed in the patrol room somewhere. one of our house rules is you are NEVER allowed to wear them with your patrol coat on

some people just hate fun

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Ola posted:

Denis Spitsov of Russia here, showing that cross country skiing can be hard to swallow.

apparently Nordic skiers consistently have the highest vo2 max of any athletes

i totally believe it because it is loving relentless

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

lol at the logistics of loading and unloading 2000 lbs per cabin

double lol at doing it Christmas weekend instead of October

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

2000lbs per cabin is a weight budget of 200lbs per person including gear. Probably not far off from average loading at full capacity during busy times, but testing to a factor of safety between 0.8 to 1.2 isn’t exactly a monster stress test.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Season started off early here but it's still only really good for xc. We've had back to back systems dump 6+ inches of heavy snow and then rain for a couple hours. It's set up everything groomed to be super hard and fast but straight poo poo for downhill except for a few hours of spring-style corn here and there.

Did a 14 mile skinny-ski backcountry mission to compensate and it was good.

Hopefully we get some cold temps and serious lake effect soon!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

kiimo posted:

That seems like a lot of work to take a couple drags off a vape pen but then again I might have felt differently 20 years ago.

Made a lot more sense when you were passing around a joint or a bowl with buddies. Finding a nice spot and settling in for a safety meeting in the woods was always a good time, though I never got to use any rad shacks.

Widespread legalization is probably going to see a lot of that kind of stoner culture just straight vanish, both because pocket vapes are incredible and because nobody gives a poo poo so why hide anymore? The transgressiveness was fun when I was younger but the tradeoff is worth it IMO.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

My brother just started a six day ski trip today. First day out he's at Taos. Right as he got off lift 4 his group watched an inbounds avalanche carry at least two people. Ski patrol immediately deputized everyone to start probing but it sounds like the dogs were what found them. One person may have been wearing a beacon and the other wasn't, and it took about 45 minutes to extract both of them from under ~10 feet of debris. 45 minutes was too long. e: apparently those people are now being reported as alive

https://taosnews.com/stories/avalanche-buries-multiple-people-on-kachina-peak,54548

Spime Wrangler fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 17, 2019

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

If you want to go out in the backcountry plan to buy a beacon after you've spent enough time borrowing one (and probe and shovel) and going with people who know whats up and taking an avalanche course. Preferably the last part first.

If you're skiing inbounds you don't need one unless you're going to a hill that requires beacon/probe/shovel for access to a particular part of their hill or if you plan on exiting through a gate for some slackcountry, at which point you should be following all backcountry precautions.

Inbounds avalanches like that are absolutely not the norm and in general you should trust the daily openings and closures to reflect an accurate assessment of safety. Don't cross ropes, don't go on closed runs, and don't sea-lawyer your way around closures. There's a picture from a couple years back in the cascades (IIRC) where a hill ripped out right up to the boundary rope. A major inbounds portion of Schweitzer ripped out below a closure last year, and word was that you could skirt the rope and traverse into the area and people had been doing so for weeks. I expect to see a full analysis of the Taos event come out soon that will go into why their avalanche control mechanisms didn't prevent this incident.

Also a very worthy read, CAIC came out with their report on the AIARE Level 2 class that had a death earlier this month: https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/acc/acc_report.php?accfm=inv&acc_id=685&view=public

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

22k of cold rear end xc today. Race is next week and it’s supposed to be a high of 3F. Gonna be slow and painful but I’m feeling pretty confident in finishing at least.

Still pretty mediocre downhill conditions here, waiting for a strong lake effect cycle to kick in. Too bad all the major continental systems have brought heat along with their moisture so far.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I’ve had QST 106s as a one ski quiver for a few seasons now and they do everything except bulletproof better than they should.

Counterpoint: I haven’t skiied anything else modern and I’m on tele.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Doing this xc race is now officially a mistake. After a pretty tame early season it's now been snowing all week and really started nuking last night through tomorrow and I can't skip work to rip laps because I have to be rested on Saturday. :manning:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Managed to get a couple laps in at Ripley on Friday - pretty good but not all time.

Skiied the race today, 50k skate in 4hrs 38 minutes, which was good enough for top end of the bottom third. It was -13f at the start and 0f at the finish and there was no way to get any glide so the whole thing was a slog.

My windstopper jacket literally froze solid after a couple downhills, and I could feel the ice break when I moved my arms to continue poling. Did face tape and toe warmers but otherwise temps were fine until the very end where everything was sweat soaked I had trouble keeping the output high enough to melt it. One of my friends got a top 50 finish but went to the ER after with a frozen cornea.

Goddamn I’m tired.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Thanks man. There’s another coming up in March but it’ll be at least two weeks before I forget enough of the suck to sign up.

E:^^^ I know right? Apparently it’s ok and heals quick, you just have to “keep your eyes warm for the next few days”

Spime Wrangler fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 27, 2019

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

bawfuls posted:

This is the oldest picture I have skiing, like 5 or so at Mt Waterman

congrats on coming back to win the powder 8's man, it was super inspiring

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Was that taken at boyne?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Just capped five days in Wyoming and Montana with babby’s first laps on slaschman’s at Bridger Bowl. Incredibly legit terrain, it’s amazing it’s inbounds.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Boho was fuckin rad yesterday. 8” of perfect refresh snow since the system started dense and ended blower. My legs are shot today, going touring tomorrow, ski patrol senior medical test on Sunday during a blizzard, and planning to skip work again Monday. All is right in the world.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

KoRMaK posted:

You have the same skis as a guy I rode next to today. Orange salomons?

Yeah, the previous gen qst 106.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Holy moly bohemia was incredible yesterday. Hero snow cliff lines for days on the half of the hill that wasn't windswept hardpack.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Has anyone skied tele on modern skis mounted at the suggested alpine location? My understanding from my tele mentors was that having the mount that far forward causes the rear ski to engage too aggressively, and on the ca. 2003 fischer big stix I learned on they skied like poo poo until I moved the mount back an inch. However I'm seeing that manufacturers are recommending a standard alpine mount these days.

I've currently got mine set up one axl holeset back from the suggested spot (~ an inch?) and it's been working mostly well for a couple years. If it doesn't screw up the tele turn too much it would be nice to get rid of some of the skiing-with-the-tails feeling during hard alpine turns.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

It's ok, everything dangerous already slid!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

spwrozek posted:

I like this stuff better but that will work good too.

https://www.amazon.com/Dakine-DAKINE-Nitrous-Wax-6oz/dp/B07CQTL691

Keep in mind that hertel has better box art than either, and also makes skis work good.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

il serpente cosmico posted:

Yes, putting chains on a Subaru is a good way to grenade your center diff and transmission. You should buy snow tires instead. You can get away with low profile chains on the front for very short distances at very slow speeds over low traction conditions, but anything else will eat up the center diff, and oftentimes take the transmission with it.

do you have any more info on this? seems like chains/cables on the front only would be a way worse decision.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Nobody thought it would work, but as long as you commit to a few weeks a year at your pied-a-terres in Hong Kong, London, and NYC for some high-bandwidth facetime you won’t even miss much on the cocktail circuit.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Did another skate race yesterday, only 25k this time. Training fell off big time in the last month though, and I was not fast. Felt reasonably good for coming straight off the couch though!

Talked to my friend who had the frozen corneas in January - sounds like recovery is actually pretty drawn out. The cornea freezes then “cracks like a dinner plate” and it was a few days before he could read again, and they still bother him but should recover fully. So don’t freeze your eyes!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Consider instead the Mt Bohemia season pass. Yes, you can only use it for limited days at select mom & pop hills, and yes your money is going to a rich failson who is a jerk and won't use it to fix his drat lifts, but it's only $120, those places are rad, they have 0% overlap with Vail/Ikon/Mtn. Collective, you'll never stand in a lift line, and you get your money's worth in less than two ski days no matter where you use it.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

At least you don’t have to worry about kick waxing for that!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

But did you finish??

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Dang that sounds gnarly and awesome. Heal up so you can go do it again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Skinning is definitely a whole lot easier. Another stopgap would be a pair of snowshoes - you won't get the glide but it's way nice to not have to worry about postholing or your feet sliding around every step. Try to get a pair with risers if you go that route.