Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Did you mean to link to an fyad thread instead of this one?

oh you goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hey guys quick question, I'm going to be in Munich in late January and I'm looking at Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

But I also notice there are about a billion resorts near Munich.

Has anyone been to this area and if so what would be the best place to go? Two couples, looking for a quick day trip by train, girls are beginners. Ski then get drunk in the best setting and either train ride back to Munich or stay in a fairly cheap place that night.

Any ideas? Looking for memorable alpine views, emphasis on Alp.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, I've been totally happy to just cruise down blues and groomed blacks for the last decade, but I've made a real push to get into shape over the last few years and want to start challenging myself to handle tougher terrain. I'm not looking to throw myself double black chutes or something, I just want to get better at handling rougher slopes and not question why I ski every time I run into a patch of moguls.

Probably look into wider, shorter skis for handling powder better?

If you want to do some exercises that will have immediate results on your ability, do squats on a half bosu ball holding barbells in each hand.

It will not only give the benefits of squats which are crucial in hard conditions but will really work the stabilizing muscles.

Like so...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mammoth's opening day just got delayed indefinitely.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Please, just give CA some rain before the entire state burns down. I can't ski on fresh ash falls :(

Well not YET. Gonna need a lot bigger ash base first

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I’m always super psyched to see a new diet until I see no alcohol, then I reject that diet. Every diet has no alcohol so I just decide that I’m going to work out every day instead. That’s no life I want.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

They need to amend the alcohol classes you are forced to take when you get a DUI.

4 drinks = Binge Drinking
4 drinks for Italians = Dinner

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://snowbrains.com/noaa-2-snow-...5eb9-RpXQ7z17g4

Here comes some serious snow

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm of the opinion if you're going to be in the Summit area and you've never been you pretty much have to see Vail and Breck, they have the biggest towns to walk around in after and the Vail back bowls are just huge. People who are too cool for school will tell you to go elsewhere because people dislike Vail buying everything up and the affluent crowd but for sheer size and towns for drinking after, neither can be beat.

But really you can't go wrong with just about anything in the Summit. If you're good you should go to A-Basin, it's unique.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm not saying it's exactly like this but

In the wake of the latest speculation surrounding the attraction — rumors that riders had gone airborne during a test run — a spokesperson for the Kansas City, Kan., waterpark on Friday denied any such occurrence. “I can absolutely say that no test riders have gone airborne on the slide, because no test riders have gone down the slide,” said Layne Pitcher, chuckling.]

Designer of waterslide that decapitated 10-year-old boy taken into custody

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That video is chilling, knowing there was like zero oversight (Kansas has since gone more blue, politically-speaking) and that their solution was to just build a cage around it, and knowing that that video is basically the last thing that kid saw before the cage ripped his head off. And then the irony that he was the son of a Kansas state senator that contributed to the lack oversight. It would feel like justice if it wasn't the saddest, most avoidable death in a long time.

/sad derail

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mammoth too

55mph gusts no bueno, however

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sorry when I say 55 mph winds no bueno I'm very specifically thinking about riding up Chair 23 freezing my nuts off.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

But it looked cool when Craig Kelly did it!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mammoth 12-18 expected today, 17-23 tomorrow, snow in the forecast the next two days after that. They already have a 40” base on the top. Winter has definitely arrived.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah I bet you're "eager to move on"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

LostCosmonaut posted:

This is some of the dumbest ski related poo poo I've ever seen; https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/a23610274/courchevel-ski-restaurant-bars/

I read that and I turned into a hypercommunist

These pricks practically beggin for a face full of snow spray.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TMMadman posted:

2 sets of skis and nobody is wearing ski boots.

I've never seen skis with less water on them that were out of the plastic.

edit: or on the soles of their feet what wizardry is this

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

bawfuls posted:

If you carry with tips forward and the front of the front binding just behind your shoulder, the skis will balance well at a steeper angle (so tips down tails up) which gets the tails up and away from people's heads and makes it easier/safer to maneuver in crowded areas. It is more difficult to maintain this angle if your shoulder is between the bindings instead of in front of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU5cftDHOqo

You Look Like poo poo › Ski and Snowboard 18/19: Tips Down, Tails Up - That's The Way We Like To gently caress

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I would like to welcome Glen back to the thread it has been too long.

By the way he looks super old now.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Has anyone skied the alps? I'm curious what the border crossing is like from Germany to Austria. Like, I'm wondering if I should stay in a place that is in Austria and ski in Germany or if that will be a pain in the rear end.

Something something Eagle's Nest, something something James Bond goggles.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Right outside of Garmisch is a hotel I want to stay at but I also want to go to the village. It's 8 miles away but takes 25 minutes to drive and you cross the border.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Eejit posted:

I'm going to be in Bratislava and Vienna in a few weeks for work and I'll have two days free. Thinking about skiing, but unsure where. I will be in Vienna when I get free, so looking more at skiing in Austria than Slovakia. I have absolutely no idea what is feasible, but wondering if anyone here was knowledgeable about that part of the world.

Vienna isn't super close to the mountains but you can get to Semmering in an hour or the bigger Annaberg in an hour and 45 minutes.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think doing some cross country skiing would help in terms of balance and maybe lose a few holiday pounds!

Fair warning, I can't imagine a less fun way to ski. Also don't let your in laws teach you how to ski, take a legit class.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I didn't do this because of skiing but after doing squats with weight while balanced on a half bosu ball my stabilizing muscles became much stronger and my balance and therefore skiing ability increased. I highly recommend them.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Man, it was loving cold at mammoth today.

It got down to 30 in Burbank Saturday. It's cold in this state.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

HookShot posted:

If you play your music from speakers you are a douche, sorry Razzled. No one wants to listen to your lovely music, put some headphones in.

Doesn't everywhere have singles lines now anyway? When I'm with someone else we specifically stay as two so we can get two singles in when the line is long.

Lately people are bringing waterproof radios into the shower at the gym. I'm in a weird place where I want to be offended but I don't want to be Offended Guy.

Weed and music are going hand in hand here, don't make decisions and then force them on people. That goes for your vape and your music.

Also Mammoth 4.5 feet and counting.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That seems like a lot of work to take a couple drags off a vape pen but then again I might have felt differently 20 years ago.

edit: I suddenly really want to see the inside.

edit 2: lol someone added all the smoke shacks on google maps after MJ was legalized

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...1699999999&z=14

edit 3: in case you didn't fully hate Vail yet

https://skitheworld.com/2014/02/vail-resorts-demolish-pot-shacks/

edit 4: Never underestimate the building power of stoned 20 year olds

kiimo fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 8, 2019

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's the third jump that I wish I could pull off. He's flying.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

bringer posted:

At first glance it looked like the doctor gave up, amputated your arm, replaced it with a pillow, and booked it hoping you’d enjoy the drugs too much to notice while he was still in the hospital.

Good luck with the recovery!

Reminds me of the goon in the old SA yearbook that had his arm removed at the shoulder from a dirtbike accident. *shudder*

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's pretty sad to make fun of someone for their gear. One cannot simultaneously hate Vail for catering to rich fucks and then make fun of someone's cheap gear.

*Exception for wearing jeans and a Cowboys Starter jacket, that's open season.

vvvvvv I'll allow it

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 14, 2019

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

Sports jerseys on game days are fine.

Gosh I didn't have that good of a reaction when I wore my Chiefs jersey in Loveland what gives

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

For you LA goons I hear Mt Baldy will be open this weekend.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TMMadman posted:

At winter park today and I've decided that I'm just old and lazy and all I want to do while skiing is cruise blues/blue blacks and maybe a few groomed blacks. I have no real interest in moguls or extensive tree skiing (although ducking in/out at the edge of a trail is fun).

Also I wish I lived out here because I would absolutely try to do recreational racing stuff. That's the type of skiing I really enjoy.

Welcome to the family. The good news is that's still super fun and you can do it until your 80s.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

One of my ski buddies demoed those last year, fell in love, and bought them. After our runs last week he's really happy with his purchase

I demoed Blizzard Brahmas in 2017 and then they had to be mine. I love them.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Innsbruck, Austia. Holy poo poo what a great place. I will ski there in the near future. Go there.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/PlacerSheriff/status/1092164638945374208

https://twitter.com/NWSHanford/status/1092305481681567745

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It seems like yesterday someone predicted a poo poo winter this year. 81" on top of Mammoth in this storm not counting today or tomorrow. Feet upon feet upon feet. Open till mid July I bet.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Current Mammoth storm count: over ten feet since last Saturday, not counting what happens today and according to the mountain cams it's "Donner Party" level blizzard still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah I looked at their cams earlier and the summit cam in particular looked...biblical.

Check for yourselves...

https://www.mammothmountain.com/cams/summit-cam