Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i think the 0 was stripped from the url in the last thread, took me a whole extra half second to find this one!

one last season at Steven's before I'm charged out the rear end by Vail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Are autosocks supposed to be the chains alternative for subarus? I've thought about buying some to appease the park rangers at Mt Rainier who apparently recommended them when turning away my sister from the road to paradise

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i'm always so jealous of those trips

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Steven's Pass used to have RFID gates until Vail came in and tossed 'em :|

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Got up early today to go to Stevens Pass even though highway 2 was closed praying it would be open by the time I got there or shortly there after and welp

https://twitter.com/WSDOT_East/status/1363906757530062849?s=20

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Lost my gopro and fractured part of my elbow falling on a simple little side trail on the bunny hill just after exiting the terrain park
:negative:

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Laserface posted:

bought a skateboard so lets see how much falling on asphalt sucks compared to snow (hint: already found out its a lot!)

I bought an electric skateboard this off season and can confirm. I also was served an ad for this thing the other day:

https://summerboard.com/pages/sbx

imagine catching an edge on pavement

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Because my shoes are all the way in the back of the parking lot in my car

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Just now found out the reason Stevens Pass hasnt opened half their mountain is because Vail is barely offering over minimum wage and theyre horribly understaffed as a result :waycool:

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

A lot of local news coverage lately has been about how bad things are at Steven’s Pass so Vail fired the GM there and brought over some interim guy. Unless he can offer more money or housing for staff I’m not sure what he’ll do differently. He at least has a history with the mountain, I guess?

They also opened a second level chair for the first time this season! But only because they couldnt start some of the other base chairs following the winter storm over the last week. Assuming they dont get another one working soon it’ll just be the single base lift for the three day weekend :shepface:

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I would think not continuing to give a resort money for being bad would be the best pressure to exert, but I also dont think too many people are commuting 4+ hours to do so outside of a weekend vacation trip

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

My dad just highlighted the runs we did on the resort map and I hung it on the wall in my room

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i put my 3 year old on a snowboard today and he crushed the bunny hill :hellyeah:

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

took my 4 year old to the magic carpet at snoqualmie for the second time today, kid seems like he's slowly getting it. He seemingly just waits to see how long he goes straight down until he gets nervous and/or spins out. Easily his biggest problem is leaning down to grab some snow to eat as he's going down hill.

When kids show up for their first lessons, are they mostly familiar with being strapped in or are they wearing boots for the first time ever? I know my parents used lessons as mostly just daycare so they could gently caress off on their own and I fully plan to do the same.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I rode the t-bar in whistler a couple years ago mostly just to say I did and fell for the same reason as that guy, but was able to crawl off to the side and just be embarrassed about bailing and not because I annihilated everyone down hill.

The two teen girls on skis going up together behind me who jokingly asked if I was ok didnt help, though.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Finally got up to the mountain and was reminded what it's like to ride a board that needs wax: just constantly hitting slow down goo from some video game, extremely frustrating & annoying. What a difference even just a quick wax at the lodge makes and suddenly my day is saved.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Speaking of new fangled (snowboard) bindings, anyone use or have opinions on the Nidecker Supermatics? I need new boots & bindings and they seem pretty neat, plus I dont need to lock in to any sort of boot type to use.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I want to upgrade my ~8 year old snowboard boots with laces. I’m mostly looking for a refresh but also a pair that is easier/quicker to get on. Is there anything in particular like brands or gimmicks I should try to avoid when shopping? The ones you twist a knob to tighten are what I figured I should trend towards, just because it looks easier than pulling laces & tying behind my car.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

good to hear, I figured they’d at a minimum be no worse at securing than laces but easier to manage. Incredibly tempted by these Vans boots that I just learned exist but probably best to stick with a standard.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

all my regular shoes are vans so continuing that trend just seemed appropriate

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I got to finally try my slip on Nidecker Supermatics the other day and man it's pretty slick to just go from the chair, slip into my binding, stomp, and go without stopping. It is less slick however when I misjudge the binding and can't get my foot in in time and fall immediately before the edge. The open heel can also end up right in the way of my push off foot and I'll trip just in the chair line. All in all a pretty great upgrade though.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

There is a lever you step on with your heel to fold up the back & lock it in place, so there is no need to do anything else but step in (I’ve never used Flows but it looks like you pull the back part up yourself). The release mechanism is a little finicky, or at least it was on my back foot- though it was a powdery day so that could have played into it. I mostly figured it out by the end of the day.

Math You posted:

Also if you have the knee/hip mobility you're gonna want to start pulling from the front instead of kicking from the back.

Mobility maybe, coordination? Tough

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I would stomp my board like usual to loosen up the snow and/or try to clear it in the lift line/chair to avoid it causing any issues later when stepping in. There isn't anything to clip into with my boot (a big part of why I went with this brand, no proprietary boots needed), but I imagine I might have trouble completely slipping in if a bunch of compacted snow was in the way of my foot or under the heel lever when pressing down to lock. The release lever took some getting used to but otherwise my problems were mostly due to mistiming the slope or misaiming my foot. The lil jump I would do was enough to lock them in place every time.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Math You posted:

One thing I love most about talking to new snowboarders is the eventual broaching of shared pain and I go "oh, gently caress no. I learned at 10, I didn't feel anything".
It happens literally every time I speak to someone who learned as an adult. My response always elicits the same look.

I don't even really do it to rub it in.. I feel like it's a badge I never had to earn. I haven't had a bad fall since I was a teenager... I say 1 sleep from a big trip. BRB finding some wood right now

I remember getting the wind knocked out of me a time or two when learning to board as an adult (I had been a skier since I was ~6), but never anything especially, “bad.” No, those falls all happened much more recently, when I thought I was, “good” but actually just careless.

Have a good trip! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

PNW storm today made for a pretty fantastic day at Stevens Pass. Fresh powdery tracks most of the day, blue sky peaked out a few times, and while a lot of people also took a sick day today, lift lines were mostly quick. I only paid with some skin that a tree took off my knee, but still better than what Vail asks for.