Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The short answer is never post in the F1 thread

The slightly longer answer is someone is a nonstick/Teflon fanboy and does not respect the sanctity of good cast iron cookware

lmao

That person is dumb. Cast iron cookware is amazing. I scavenged my cast iron pan after my grandfather died (I assume it was from one of my grandmothers (my first nana died when he was ~60 and he got remarried until grandma #2 died ~20 years later)) and I believe it's a Birmingham from the early 50s. I was extremely sad when I ruined the seasoning that was on it and had to redo it, but such is life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Whee, I got my 4 day pass from Winter Park today.

Because of various issues, I wasn't able to get out at all last season, so I'm happy I'll get at least 4 days in this season.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

movax posted:

touché

I'm a skiing noob and my current question is wondering how normal people afford to do this all the time. Everything seems obnoxiously expensive.

I think it was also easier for normal people before a few companies started buying up all the ski resorts, but I could be wrong.

Right now though, if you're going to do more than 5 days of skiing in a year, you're probably better off getting a full Epic or Ikon pass rather than buying individual tickets. I don't know how that compares to the past, but maybe one of the more experienced posters can shed some light on it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Landsknecht posted:

well I mean what does 5 days of skiing in CO or utah cost a family of four coming from the NE? It's not cheap

I mean just ballparking it and assuming the kids aren't older teenagers but somewhere in the 7-11 range, I'm guessing the lift tickets would run between 1500-2000, plus at least 500 bucks for round trip airfare and then probably around 600-800 or so for the hotel/lodging. So you already looking at north of 3k.

And then you've got the other stuff like car and equipment rentals, as well food and drink. So all told, I'm guessing a family of 4 would be looking somewhere between 4-5k for a 5 day ski trip.

Edit - my airfare is probably way off, but I live in Chicago and only fly Southwest and generally pay ~100 bucks for round trip to Denver. But I usually fly super early/late.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 4, 2018

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kiimo posted:

These pricks practically beggin for a face full of snow spray.

2 sets of skis and nobody is wearing ski boots.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What about people who have twin tips?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

bawfuls posted:

If you carry with tips forward and the front of the front binding just behind your shoulder, the skis will balance well at a steeper angle (so tips down tails up) which gets the tails up and away from people's heads and makes it easier/safer to maneuver in crowded areas. It is more difficult to maintain this angle if your shoulder is between the bindings instead of in front of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU5cftDHOqo

Nobody carries their skis flat though when carrying tips up. They are still angled up and they are easier and takes up less space removing them from your shoulder.

I feel like removing your tip down skis from your shoulder means you either flipping them down your back or over your shoulder.

Carry your skis like you ski: tips up

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

spwrozek posted:

Never been to a ski resort eh?

Haha yeah I suppose I shouldn't have said nobody. Maybe nobody smart

But I certainly carry at an angle with my tips up.

Edit - I think the important thing about carrying skis is just being aware of your space and recognizing that no matter how you carry the skis, they are taking up space and you need to be careful.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 5, 2018

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The few times I've been back skiing, I've mostly vaped while on the mountain.

Although my buddy and I have also skied back into some trees and smoked a joint a few times too.

The idiots that kill me are the smokers who just drop their butts in the snow when the are done. My buddy smokes and the first thing I told him, before I even taught him anything, was that if I ever saw him drop a butt on the mountain I would loving hit him with my ski pole.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I believe he is saying that people watch ski videos with music and so when they go out and ski, they want to feel like it's a video and so want to listen to music.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RC Cola posted:

Why is the thread title gently caress Vail? I just went for the first time in 10 years today. It was pretty great.
PS, any Goons ever want to meet up some weekend and ski/snowboard?
Disclaimer. I'm from the Midwest and am not the best skier.

Heh, hey Chicago buddy.

I'm hitting Winter Park Tuesday/Wednesday because I'd rather take off a couple of days in the middle of the week and not get paid than fly/ski on the weekend.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RC Cola posted:

Ah I wish, I don't have any days off for a while yet. Just skiing on weekends for now :(
PS I moved out of Chicagoland in August

Congrats, did you move out to Denver?

I've still got two more days at Winter Park that I'll probably do in late Feb or early March, but it will still probably be during the early part of the week. It kind of depends on flights and stuff.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
All this pole talk makes me want to break out and old pair of American flag poles that I last used in the early 90s and are surely from the mid 80s (or possibly before) because I took them from my dad.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Man that really loving sucks. Anyone that would do that is a complete rear end in a top hat. I doubt they'll be found but maybe let the place know about it.

I just can't imagine grabbing someones gear from the mountain, even if it was brand new and ridiculously nice. I've always assumed/knew it happened but I just want to believe that everyone, regardless of whether or not they are an rear end in a top hat on skis, respects the unspoken "everyone is leaving their expensive equipment out in the open, so don't loving steal it" rule.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's really great to find out that somehow my phone erased all my music a minute after getting on the plane.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
At winter park today and I've decided that I'm just old and lazy and all I want to do while skiing is cruise blues/blue blacks and maybe a few groomed blacks. I have no real interest in moguls or extensive tree skiing (although ducking in/out at the edge of a trail is fun).

Also I wish I lived out here because I would absolutely try to do recreational racing stuff. That's the type of skiing I really enjoy.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kiimo posted:

Welcome to the family. The good news is that's still super fun and you can do it until your 80s.

Oh absolutely. I had a loving blast today and I will never not have fun doing it. I just like the feeling of sliding along on the mountain, preferably fairly fast.

I mean I couldn't stop laughing after my friend and I basically just flat out bombed Bluebell/Edelweiss and after I had passed my friend (who was giving up by that point), I went over a little roll at the end of Edelweiss and my brain thought "You are going really fast, you should make a turn to slow down" and after starting a hard turn, my legs told my brain that turning may have been a mistake, but my brain insisted that I not only finish that turn, but also do like 3 other hard and fast turns in a row. I couldn't do anything but laugh at the end of the run because to me that is the fun part of skiing. Making those hard, fast turns and your thighs immediately start to burn and the whole time your wondering if starting those turns was a bad decision and then suddenly your through them and at the end of the run breathing hard with a giant loving smile on your face.

Basically I just pretend I'm on an invisible Giant Slalom course and have my own fun.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

bawfuls posted:

As the past dozen or so posts demonstrate, individual experiences with ski boots varies wildly.

Some people have a weird shaped foot and can't ever quite manage to get comfortable. Some have poor circulation and are always cold/numb. Others ski stiff boots all day without any hassle.

Personally I have the Platonic Ideal of Lange Foot so my boots fit great.

Don't forget about us guys with big calves. My boots caused a little soreness/coldness issues 2 years ago (and then I missed a season) but I didn't have any issues so far with them this season. I don't even remember if I popped the top buckles while having lunch on the second day.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Razzled posted:

eldora was icy and windy today, so much for that. pounded out laps for a few hours and then went back to the hotel to sleep

hopefully winter park is better!

I'll be at winter park on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Looks like it might be kind of windy those days, but I'm hoping it won't be too bad.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Razzled posted:

winter park was fun as hell, got to test out my new karma grip on a beautiful bluebird day
https://vimeo.com/319608926

Hey if you're still going to be there tomorrow my buddy got stuck at work, so I'll be skiing solo.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

spwrozek posted:

Haha, I would say the conversation went like this:

Doc: give it three more weeks to heal up.
Me: can I rock climb?
Doc: no, don't bare weight over 20 lbs

So you can't get naked? :laugh:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

spwrozek posted:

Haha. Chalk it up to phone posting

I was really just amused at the thought of a silly instruction, wasn't picking on the spelling. :)

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Razzled posted:

God drat what is going on over there, I was just at WPK and poo poo was blue bird :OO

Yeah, it was fantastic when I was there last week. And then apparently all hell broke loose.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
A lovely cell phone video of how my friend likes to ski moguls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T2FJVz5qKI

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wrong thread.

But I wish I was skiing.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

Deep down, isn't this true of all the other threads?

Well my original post was 'I am currently eating a prescription milkshake'.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ShaneB posted:

is this like a fancy Ensure?

No, it was just a regular milkshake from McDonalds.

But I was ordered it eat it by my dentist after I got bone grafts today on my upper jaw so I can get an implant supported denture later.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SeaborneClink posted:

is that going to negatively affect your skiing this year?

Well, I'm done for the season anyway, so no.

But if wasn't done, it would have stopped me for skiing for a couple of weeks before I can really do any exercise.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yuns posted:

Anyone else feel an irrestible urge to showboat any time they are under a lift or within good view of a lift. I swear to God if I am ever killed snowboarding, it won't be in an avalanche in the backcountry or hitting a tree in the glades, it'll be directly under a chair in full view of a ton of families.

This is why my buddy goes down the lift runs. He just loves spinning around and around and around under the lift and having people watch him do it.

He also likes that they are usually harder runs that are full of moguls so there aren't usually a bunch of people on them.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwells Demon posted:

In the vein of Hot Dog the movie, the other must-see movie (I think it's linked in the OP) is G.N.A.R. https://vimeo.com/18809446

Are there any other movies similar to GNAR that meld skiing and jackass?

Ski Patrol or Ski School?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've got this boot bag and I love it:

Athalon 330-SIB Everything Boot Pack (Silver/Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AS9OJ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Pa0VCbY9CGRE6

Obviously, I need a separate bag for my skis, but that bag holds my boots, snowpants, gloves, balaclava, helmet, a small empty camelback backpack, two pairs of goggles and I can still fit a couple of changes of clothes in it, with maybe a little creative packing. Although it gets up to around 30 pounds or so at that point, but the backpack straps are sturdy and comfortable.

Edit - Also, I think that bag could be a carry on, but I usually another backpack with me.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 23, 2019

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

DNF with a broken bone is ok according to Norwegian honor culture. Not Valhalla material of course, but ok.

I guess it depends on how far into the race you were.

If you were more than 3/4 of the way done with the race, then you should have finished! :v:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Winter Park only has turnstiles on 2 or 3 lifts iirc since the other lifts are only accessible after going through one of the turnstile lifts.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Can any CO goons recommend eldora for learning how to ski? I live in Louisville so its only an hour or so away (depending on boulder canyon).

Go to winter park

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If you can cancel your flight then you might want to keep looking. Iirc, the best ticket prices happen like 4-6 weeks before the day you want to fly.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

spwrozek posted:

It is by far the best ski resort in the lower peninsula. Love that place. Grew up riding there.

E: it was a 6 hour drive and we would be chanting:

"NUBS NOB!" "NUBS NOB!" All the time.

Heck I even have a pair of Nubs sweat pants.

Man, now I wish I had gone there when I was a teenager. We had a cottage in MI around Bloomingdale, so we always went to Timber Ridge in the winter.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

spwrozek posted:

Man if you were in Kzoo bittersweet is a bunch better than timber ridge. And really anything in northern Michigan is better than down south.

Hey I would agree with you, but I was just a teenager who couldn't drive, so I went were the parents took me. But I was also incredibly obnoxious, so if I had known there was a ski area called Nubs Nob, I would have been demanding to go to it probably just by chanting NUB'S NOB constantly.

We also usually did Ski Brule in the UP at least once a winter when I was a kid.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I'm 5'10 and around 200 and I use 181s, although sometimes I wish they were like 175s.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kiimo posted:

Raise your inside foot when you turn to avoid going back into the snowplow maybe

Everyone should still learn how to do a stem christie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yes the snowplow is still the first thing taught to beginners. And I'm guessing the weird step turns are stem Christies? Basically a half snowplow and then lifting the uphill ski and placing it parallel to the downhill ski. If so, it's a turn that was developed in the early 1900s and was used primarily until the 60s when it lost favor to the parallel turn that is now used. However, it's still a good turn to learn and makes for a good transition between the snowplow and parallel turns.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_christie