Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I like boners but here I am?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

S&C owns. I have all sorts of assorted stuff I’ve got there for dirt cheap.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Razzled posted:

opensnow says rockies in PNW and northern CO are getting like 1-2 feet by the 9th

Yessssss

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

HookShot posted:

This is totally unrelated but I feel like I need to know the story behind your av.

The short answer is never post in the F1 thread

The slightly longer answer is someone is a nonstick/Teflon fanboy and does not respect the sanctity of good cast iron cookware

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’ll be getting to experience skiing in PA this season. I’m sure it’ll be willllllld

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yuns posted:

I ride in NJ so I know your pain. Still, I love riding and it's great having my local resort an easy 50 minute drive away. I am out there every day I can be and it allows me to get 40-50 days every year. Even a terrible conditions day beats not riding. It's really what you make of it. A ton of my friends won't ski nor ride here and only ski when they travel out west so they end up getting like 7 days a year and never really improve.

It’s a good point. I’m one of those people currently since I have to travel by plane to ski. I think the best place people mentioned near where I’ll be at Peek’n Peak, which has 25 runs and some blacks. I think someone also mentioned Holiday Valley if I want to drive a little further. Definitely better than nothing. Where do you ski from NJ?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

"If you are flying private, there’s no major ski resort other than maybe Aspen that’s easier to get to."

Flying into telluride is terrifying

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is that just the local private airport or the nearby public ones as well? I am scared of flying. :ohdear:

Telluride only really. The runway goes straight off a cliff.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

Snow at Eldora is already as good as I remember it being at any point last year. I've been almost completely sedentary for a couple months and it feels great to get out again.

My last Eldora experience was insane winds that closed almost the entire mountain. Hope it’s better.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Steamboat pass is here, I’m missing the top of my head.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kiimo posted:

Sorry when I say 55 mph winds no bueno I'm very specifically thinking about riding up Chair 23 freezing my nuts off.

It’s great fun when they stop it. Somehow it’s so much worse when you’re not moving

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Going to Steamboat m-wed. Pretty pumped.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have just bought the most obnoxiously loud, highlighter orange ski pants today. I am now 100% Broncos colors.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wistful of Dollars posted:

After my first day out on the slopes after a year away I have come to the conclusion I'm a terrible skier who needs to go back to basics.

At least it was a beautiful day out and I still had fun.

Most of us haven’t skied in months!

My last time was at Purgatory in April. It’ll be different for sure.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yuns posted:

I'm making my daughter wear blue leopard pattern ski pants this year because they were on sale. She hates them. Am I a bad parent or the worst parent?

The best

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I just bought the most obnoxiously bright orange ski pants. I am Broncos colors incarnate.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Got in a bunch of runs at Steamboat in but they closed the Gondola early and deprived me of one more. :mad:

I only wiped out once!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Day 2 of steamboat: my legs are cut to poo poo because the condo clubhouse locked us out when we were in the hot tub. Luckily we were able to go back to the condo via the garage and get a spare keycard to get our stuff from inside the clubhouse. This of course meant running through waist deep snow only in a bathing suit when it was 10F. I’m guessing the ice crystals in the snow cut up my legs because the cuts are all superficial but everywhere. Ski boots should be fun. RIP.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

30 runs in today at Steamboat. Great skiing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Your tips are forward of you and the bindings are behind your head. The only way

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Disinterested posted:

Yeah it's fair to say we are close to best ever shape for this time of year.

Yeah I think it was 110 open trails.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Same. I’m firmly in the camp of having just a shell that you can add layers to for warmth as needed.

OP - I’ve found a lot of last years jackets and ski clothes with tags for super cheap on eBay. I got my North Face jacket shell and removable fleece for $100, retail was close to $300.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Suspicious Package posted:

Thanks. I tried the jacket in a store and the insulation did not seem to be too much, so I’m sure I’d be happy with it in most instances.

Was it this one? https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-apex-storm-peak-triclimate-jacket-nf0a3ifm

I was really considering that one, but it wasn’t in store and I couldn’t try it on. I tried the thermoball one and it felt a little restrictive, but that’s a different design. Maybe I should troll eBay some more.

Not that exact one but very similar.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

I need some help.

My family and I are taking a trip to Colorado for a few days after Christmas, and I’m hoping to do some skiing during two of those days. However none of my old ski clothes fit anymore, so I pretty much need to buy a whole new set of ski wear.

Here’s the problem, though. We only have about $300 to spend on this, total. Based on the prices of stuff I’ve seen online, I’m not sure it’s even possible to put together a serviceable ski outfit for that little money. This is also coming out of my Christmas present fund, so the less we spend on it the better.

Please help me put together a cheap ski ensemble (or tell me if it’s impossible).

https://www.kitlender.com

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Either tips down or like a hot mess.

The strap on the back of your helmet isn’t to secure your skis with?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Eejit posted:

I am so glad I don't have to deal with that bullshit anymore. It wasn't unbearable, but waking up at 730 and being in the lift line an hour and a half later is such a delight

Also leave earlier. No, earlier than that. And if it's snowing, find a way to leave even before it's early

Slacker. Get that first chair, and go until they kick you out

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Eldora is decent, especially for the convenience factor.

Also, if you get up early on your days off then you are actually getting to sleep in on your workdays. Mind games.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

HookShot posted:

I just get up super early and have a nap after skiing so it's like I get to sleep twice and nothing feels better than a nap after a day of shredding.

After a day I’m usually dead by 10pm. Lights out, don’t remember laying down.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Razzled posted:

For you guys who have to travel to go ski, what $ amount makes a trip worth it for you?

I'm on ikon this year and am trying to mull over my options for solo trips. I've never actually been out to the popular resorts during peak season-- always early season or late (april+)

Kinda sucks but I have to do a lot of weekend warrioring. Like, I just did the math for MLK Jr weekend and 2 days of skiing would end up being like 600 dollars for the weekend including accomodation, car and flight

That seems like a lot. I can get SW flights for dirt cheap to Denver (~$200), rental is $30/day, around $90 total with taxes for 2 days. If I go to Purgatory I can fly to ABQ on allegiant (not that bad) for $40-$60 round trip and drive up from there.

I always spring for the cheapest Airbnb on solo trips that won’t get you murdered, I’ve found these as low as $30/nt for a room. Generally I’m on the runs from open to close so I’m only in the room to shower and immediately fall asleep.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I loving love mitts. Mine have a hand warmer pocket that actually sits over the fingers since that what gets cold.

Mostly I keep it open for a vent.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

HookShot posted:

We got 40cm of snow overnight, but literally snow at 0 - +1 degree celcius, so it's thick af, the winds are high, the mountain isn't opening, and a whole bunch of people are whining on Facebook that Vail won't let them go up and die in an avalanche in the world's thickest powder ever hahaha.

Like, I'm not one to defend Vail, but it's really not their fault they can't open much of the mountain right now.

If Vail wouldn’t get sued to oblivion then I’d say just let them naturally select out of the population.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ante posted:

Then you could go prospecting for gopros and selfie sticks buried all over the mountain in the spring

Imagine the barely used gear you could get after you peel it off their popsicle like appendages

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That’s about to come out of the skin isn’t it?

I walked on a broken leg for a day. You don’t want the bone to pop out.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I can barely hear anything skiing due to the wind noise plus the helmet covering your ears, I never understood the speaker.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ola posted:

I guess it's wanting to ski a video. They always have soundtracks.

I’m confused. Are you saying they’re playing a song so that the video they’re making has audio in the background? It’s almost always added in post, because otherwise it’d sound like a mess.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

- Don’t play your music outside of your ear drums. You may think you have impeccable taste in music, but everyone else loving hates Imagine Dragons.

- If you see an open spot don’t feel afraid to do the old “hey, you just three?” and squeeze in.

- Weed. I just wish someone would build a place for people to smoke weed conveniently on the mountain that’s close by and would let you get back to skiing quickly. Just…idunno…someone should make that happen. :iiam:

What I’m hearing here is hotbox a blunt in the gondola while listening to Miley Cyrus on a boombox?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Boooooooo!!!! Half the fun is figuring out where the hell these things are yourself. There's one I've been looking for for over 10 years. It could be literally on either side of the resort depending on who you ask.

I’m convinced most of them don’t exist

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m a fan of smart wool. I’ve had a pair for 15 years and they’re still good as new. It’s mental.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Eejit posted:

Side zips have the advantage over thigh zips of not shooting a load of snow onto your junk when you take an unexpected turn through the deep

On the right day it's not terrible, but even with mesh, if it's blower, it's gonna be cold. Happened to me a few times after a hike and I forgot to batten down the hatches

Crotch zips are great for ventilation though, much better place for airflow than the outside. Usually if I go down I’m on the outside so snow coming in through the crotch zip is more rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The crowd that Vail is trying to attract, well, gently caress them too.