Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

xylo posted:

People care about what color their ski gear is?

I ironically wear bright coloured shells because I lust for 80s nostalgia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

movax posted:

I'm in Australia on business and my payment to sneak in an Epic 4 day got rejected. They don't have an email customer service line, just a phone number to call and won't be back until next week. Are they pretty "you missed the deadline, we contractually can't sell anymore, suck it" or is there a chance I can get one?

lol Vail doing anything to benefit the consumer

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Is that a penis?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I haven't crossed that border in particular, but I'm assuming they're both schengen and just... Don't have borders.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I carry my skis in the trash, where they belong.

My snowboard goes sideways, bindings out, tip dragging along the concrete though

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
It definitely sets off all my bullshit detectors. My dad bought it last year, I'll be seeing him in a few days, will follow up and see how he likes it.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

The Glumslinger posted:

The one thing that sucks about finally getting in shape is that you don't feel sore after a long trip. I actually kinda miss it, it makes me feel like I didn't push myself enough.

You didn't. Keep going. You can always go harder.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Just get it removed for the season, those aren't really important

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Rope tow on a snowmobile?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Then you could go prospecting for gopros and selfie sticks buried all over the mountain in the spring

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I've got an acquaintance who just found out, in his early thirties, that he has Celiac's disease. So, actual non-fad gluten intolerance, and even eating gluten-free pizza that's been cooked on the same pan as regular pizza will gently caress him up for a month.

He's so glad he's not sick anymore, like he was for basically a decade.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Also, re: weed

I totally get the knee-jerk "not in front of the children" reaction, but there's practical reason to have it now, anymore than drinking a glass of wine, or smoking a cigarette.

The laws are in agreement with this in many places now, with more regions coming on board all the time.

Especially with kids, they really don't care / know about the societal taboo weed has had for the last half century, unless we instill it into them.

That said, you're not allowed to smoke anything on my local mountains, so those dickheads should definitely at least be going into the woods

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

kiimo posted:

Reminds me of the goon in the old SA yearbook that had his arm removed at the shoulder from a dirtbike accident. *shudder*

You might be referring to Back Panther, and the story is much funnier than you'd expect from that summary

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
But the joke is that Vail has been buying up other resorts and objectively making them worse. The example close to home for me is them buying Whistler and pricing out the locals, instead chasing the rich tourist market even harder

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Hockey jerseys

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I couldn't

Except learning how to do jumps better and flips, how do I learn that without dying

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Move to BC, it's a fuckin' travesty here, you won't be missing out

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Hah, dicks.

Here's me:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

HookShot posted:

Hey Vancouver people how likely is it that Grouse has enough snow to hold a slalom race next week I want to know if I need to mentally prepare to race slalom at home instead, since I plan on skipping the Grouse races because I don't want to drive into the city at the beginning of a race series.

Kimberley was super fun and productive this year. I scored in every race pretty hard. Dropped my SG points by 15, and my DH points (which were artificially inflated thanks to only one finish last year) by 112, but still like 70 if you take off the penalty for the one finish.

I don't think stuff has really been melting, it's just been frozen and nothing new coming in

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Does anyone have any experience riding Niche boards?

Yeah, but you probably haven't heard of them

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Good call, all of that sounds like stuff I recommend for beginners.

Just reading up on that board, and it looks pretty good for you on paper, too. I usually like regular camber like that for beginners - Might be a little harder to learn, but will give you a good technique going forward.

Other than that, doesn't matter too much, I don't think you'll be able to feel a lot of difference between boards just yet. Most important is to get good boots that fit, and a modernish (within 5 years) board and only use that setup so that you're not re-learning on a different board every time you go up.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
That sounds awful, they'll fog up immediately

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Not 100% sure, I haven't inspected mountain biking goggles, that's just my kneejerk reaction

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, I feel great when I nail the mogul run under the chairlift.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
That was basically my experience. I was to spend a month in Las Leñas. It was mindblowing at times, but got boring in the downtime, so I spent a week in Bariloche, too. Not that touristy at all, I was at Penthouse 1004, and they were fantastic. The skiing there (only while I was there) was absolute poo poo, though, total ice sheet, and I got written up by ski patrol for not having a leash on my snowboard bindings (wtf).

Gorgeous town, though, I'd highly recommend it, and a week or maybe a week and a half in Las Leñas if you can swing it.

edit: Thanks Bawfuls for the idea / recs back in 2010, you were the whole reason I went!

ante fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 30, 2019

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, as a close-to-Whistler native, I haven't even bothered the last few years, and it used to be a several-days-per-year thing

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
That Olympic snowboarder weed dude is a realtor in Whistler. You know the one

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Anyone have a Cypress corporate code this year for the season pass discount?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah I'm definitely waiting to see how the rest of September shapes up before getting a pass...

Judging from the amount of lake time I've already had this month, it's not looking great.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I guess I have to ask, are you not supposed to wear the straps for the poles? What are the pros and cons here? Are we worried about a pole getting stuck and hurting your arm/wrist? I thought it was part of the rules you had to have the straps?

Like, the rules set out by the Ski Police?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is there anyone in Whistler right now besides locals and year round employees at the resorts? I would imagine that between the Summer and Winter seasons it would become a bit of a ghost town there? I would imagine the majority of the locals work in the resort business in some capacity? I am actually incredibly interested in the logistics of ski towns.

Whistler is full of rich angry boomers now that don't like to ski or mountain bike and think the roads coming in should be closed off

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Most under-25 people I know who have lived / worked whistler services literally lived 5-7 people to a house, so that actually would be affordable

No one ever said ski bum life was glamorous or comfortable

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Moey posted:

Eh, it's not hard to go online and read what each pass offers. It's not called a Local's pass, it's the "Epic Local".

Tbh when a person selling me a ticket tells me about it like they know what they're talking about, I'm not going to go home and fact check on the internet

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
thread title

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

What a gorgeous day

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Steve French posted:

My house in the lame not mountains area sold today, so fully committed now if I wasn't before (I was)

drat that does sound lame

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I don't understand why they'd put a friggin' chairlift in that indoor park. That's the most inefficient way to go up a tiny slope, thing needs a rope tow (as much as I don't like them)

If it had a rope, and there was one really close to me, I'd legit drop in on off hours sometimes to bomb a whole bunch of runs without even getting out of my bindings, but the chairlift just makes that the saddest thing

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

HookShot posted:

LOL it's now supposed to snow 23cm, except the freezing level is basically at the lodges. So it's going to rain the equivalent of 23cm.

Yeah, I was gonna say...
I left Whistler yesterday and it was like 8 degrees and raining in Creekside. What a dumpsterfire of a year

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I feel as this is my fault as I decided to go to Whistler this year. Hopefully things will be better in 3 weeks?

There's no base, mang

If it starts nuking today, it'll be okay. Or like, two good storms

But snowshowing in Callaghan Valley was nice

Or this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Setting up your gear in the living room, with bindings sitting loose on the board is good for playing around until something feels right.

Just imagine yourself shredding. Sound effects not optional.