Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
East Coast snowboarder going to CO (Winter Park) for the first time next week. Any tips for a rockies noob?

Also, any riders here ever get severe front foot pain? Like 1 run in and my front foot is screaming in pain on any toeside turns or flat sections. Usually "fix" it by loosening my boot, but it lingers for the whole day and kills my confidence. Adjustments I've made this season are adding arch support orthotics (I have super flat feet) and narrowing my stance (from 24" to 21") but so far neither has helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Macnult posted:

Which part of your foot is hurting, and how old are your boots? My current boots used to hurt my left ankle until I got Downunder inserts, and then for some reason pushing my angles out from 13°/-8° (shoutout to The Channel lol) to 18°/-15° completely eliminated the problem.

Edit: These are the orthotics I’m talking about. Here’s to posting at work:

I’m weird and have a mid arch on my right foot, and a high arch on my left, and these things mold to your foot rather than having it be a standard low/mid/high selection. Normally we sell these to boarders, and then Sedis footbeds to skiers. I should’ve gotten something like this years ago. Plus I use the footbeds that came with my boots for my skate shoes.

I probably have about 14 days of riding in my current boots, over 3 seasons. Bought a pair of "shred soles" this season to help with the arches. My right (back) foot is even worse arch-wise, since a high ankle sprain 5 years ago killed what little arch I had in it, but it's the left (front) foot that gives me pain and has since before the injury. Tried the inserts walking around and finally on the slopes last weekend; definitely helped ankle ROM, but didn't fix the pain issue.

The pain is in the entire forefoot, it sort of feels like ball of my foot lifts away from the sole on heelside and curls and presses on toeside BUT loosening the bindings lessens the pain. I'm leaning towards it being a technique issue I need to work on.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
How worried should I be about altitude sickness? Flying from east coast into Denver and staying in Winter Park for 4 nights and googling "altitude sickness" has me convinced I'm going to get 0 hours of sleep and my heart is going to explode.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Anyone have experience with wide snowboard boots? Been wearing an 8 or 8.5 but after measuring my feet looks like I should be in a 7 wide, which makes sense since I always get bad foot pain after a few runs and have to loosen the lower laces or take a break and take off my boots. Waiting on a couple pairs ordered online with free returns since I can't find any in a local shop, did try on some regular size 7's and they were tight on the top of my foot.

What should I be looking for fit-wise since I can't take them out on the slopes?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Yeah, I got a pair of 32 Lashed and Burton Ruler Wides on the way, planning on returning one or both. Went to a local shop and the only 7 they had was a Vans boot which was painful on the top of my foot and the guy in the shop told me that 32s run narrow, but I'll be the judge of that when they ship here.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Partial Octopus posted:

Try Adidas. They seem to run pretty wide. Also Burton has actual wide sizes but they're meant for FREAKS with EEE wide feet.

I think I'm one of those FREAKS tho, size 7 length, 4" width seems to put me right in freak city

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Think I got my snowboard boot situation figured out. Burton Ruler Wides in 2 sizes smaller than my shoe size seem to fit pretty well. Hopefully my foot doesn't cramp up 2 runs in this season.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Any Epic pass new englanders here? Got some accrued time off work I gotta burn before the end of the year and wondering what southern VT/NH Epic resort would be my best bet midweek this week.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Dumb question from a former skier, current snowboarder: is there a difference between left and right skis? I know when I'd get bindings put on at the shop the shop would slap a sticker on one indicating that it was the right or left, but idk if it made a difference. Last time I was out at the slopes, a relatively new skier was having trouble getting their skis on in the lift line and I noticed that the left and right skis were swapped (based on the rental sticker) and told them and they switched them around. But I'm wondering if it matters at all.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

My new skis, Elan Wingmans, have a specific left and right ski due to the inner and outer edges having slightly different profiles. The skis have the left and right side written on the appropriate ski. That being said, I have never seen a specific left/right binding, and by design any binding should accept a left or right boot, therefore there should be no difference in ability/difficulty to place a boot in a binding.

Yeah I was wondering if maybe the release tension was asymmetrical or something. My last skis were before sidecuts and they were marked left/right so I didn't think it was due to edge differences (but I was also curious if modern skis had different inside/outside edges)

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I don't like conveyors, but I can see how they can help. Been riding a lot of singles line this season and noticed a lot of times, the other riders don't give much space for a snowboarder to push. Like if I were to push from my heel side, I'd be stepping on someone's skis and on my toe side, I've got like maybe 1 inch of space between my board and the edge of the platform. Plus the conveyor lifts I've been on have automatic gates so you don't get someone on their phone accidentally looking up and panicking and becoming the 7th rider on the six pack

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Got a trip to Jackson Hole planned in Feb. Thinking about flying into SLC and driving from there since there's no direct flights, how feasible is that with a rental car? Would give myself a 2-3 day window to work around weather forecasts, otherwise could always just book a flight from SLC to Jackson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Going to Snowbird UT next week, staying in Sandy. Anyone got tips for how early to plan to leave for the mountain and if reserved parking is worth it or take the gamble on free? Will be there Thursday-Sunday, assume the weekends will require an earlier start.