Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Anachronist posted:

We risked leaving the house at 6, hit a little traffic and were cooking breakfast in the A basin parking lot at 7:30. Heinous traffic getting into 70 from 6, backed up almost to the touring parking on Loveland pass. Worth it though, excellent skiing for no new snow.

Oh hey, I was just at A-Basin on Saturday. We got on 70 at Denver around 6am and got there at 7:15 just as the Cafe opened for breakfast. We left at 12:30 as the snow was getting heavier and the traffic was slow until we got through the tunnel (Loveland Pass was still closed).

Fun times, I'm a newbie and this was my first time skiing in a light snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Speaking of small resorts, I was at Snowy Range in Wyoming last weekend and it's pretty nice. It's the same distance from me as the main I-70 resorts in Colorado except there's ZERO traffic, and the lift tickets are $70/day. None of the trails are very steep but it's great if you want a chill place to ski.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Well this is nice. https://snowbrains.com/vail-resorts-announced-20-minimum1/

quote:

Today, Vail Resorts’ new CEO, Kirsten Lynch, announced a $20 per hour minimum wage for all 37 of its North America resorts, effective for the 2022-23 ski and ride season. Entry-level ski patrollers and maintenance team members will start at $21 per hour. To ensure career and leadership wage differentials, Vail Resorts is also increasing wages for non-entry level hourly team members.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

kiimo posted:

I've been to Park City too many times I think.

I've been to Innsbruck but didn't ski and it killed me but the town was a blast anyway. Cafe Mustache is my kind of bar.

drat, Burt Reynolds had some drip.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I went to Winter Park Saturday and had some fun from opening until about 11am, when it got a little too crowded for my tastes. Some thin spots here and there but overall the open terrain was fine. It was a good way to get my ski legs back.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Verman posted:

I think the softer rubbery plastics leave the worst taste. The harder plastics like platypus seem to be more neutral tasting. Plus it goes away over time/washing.

Yeah, I carry a Platypus Duolock Softbottle and the water tastes fine.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Rotten posted:

Snoqualmie groomed runs can sometimes be absolute garbage. I experienced that today at hyak. I think they ran the cats super early last night and then the runs froze. Hyak groomed runs felt like riding pavement. I got bumped out of the low tide off piste pow (I was having an off day so that didn’t help) and got wrecked hitting the groomers. Going helmet shopping tomorrow :(
Been riding there for 10 years and this is the first time I’ve felt like I needed a helmet.

Yeah early this season at Winter Park I tried going down what appeared to be a nicely groomed blue run, only to find out it was basically grooved ice. I was able to slow down safely but it was definitely a bit of a shock.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Perhaps this is the year we update the thread title? Happy new year goons, I will live vicariously through you while I wait for all the persistent weak layers in the Rockies to heal.

"gently caress Vail" is still accurate, though.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Really not looking forward to ski pass on my phone Vail...

Seriously, why would I give up being able to just leave my card in my sleeve pocket all season long and never have to think about it?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I can tell it's springtime at Winter Park because I saw a guy skiing while wearing shorts and a button-up shirt.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0-pHnykC9s

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I'd be happy with getting an average snowpack this year. Doesn't even have to be above-average like last year :(

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, I'm glad we decided to go to Colorado this year. They might not have much snow, but it's not a liquid right now

Just don't plan on going to A-Basin, at least not for a while: 63% of the average snowpack and only 10 trails open. I'm probably not gonna bother with my 5 Ikon days until February at the earliest.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Eejit posted:

Skied Copper on Sunday, it was not that good. But at least it was skiable. And the snowpack being too thin to groom made even the greens exciting.

Aspen, Snowmass, and Highlands are in remarkable shape, but we're also at ~90% average. Gotta love being just far out enough to avoid Denver crowds.

If you're itching to ski, I'd grab a hotel in Carbondale or Glenwood and burn an Ikon day or two up here. Just don't bring too many friends.

Yeah I'm at Copper right now and that's my experience too. I know I should have waited until the storm this weekend but I have today off work so :shrug:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

This graph is just depressing. Going past the boundary for lowest snowfall? Poor A-Basin :(

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I will say one good thing about the light snowpack in Colorado: it's giving me a lot of experience skiing bumps and dodging rocks. I honestly could use the practice, I suck at moguls :shobon:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah they can go to a hardware store and get a bucket for like $10. It's not that hard to keep things clean.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Ah, nothing like falling in a lift line to keep myself humble.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Welp, I was a dumbass at Copper Sunday and went a little too fast over some bumps. Now I'm out for the rest of the season with a tibial plateau fracture. Shout out to Michelle and Cooper from ski patrol who immobilized it and gave me a super smooth sled ride down.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I tour by heli drone with my board strapped to my feet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At3xcj-pTjg

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

Headed to Vail tomorrow, looks like just in time for some snow. Never been there, or anywhere besides Purgatory and Wolf Creek. Excited to check out a real, legit ski resort.

They've got a pretty neat little ski museum near the village parking garage. Worth a walkthrough if you have time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

lol this is Eldora's snow stake.