Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Whelp I bought an Ikon pass, gonna get more than a few weekends in here from L.A. this season with it. Ski'd as a kid in the 90's, boarded as a teenager through mid 2005 when bills and debt became a thing, from then till now I hit the slopes a handful of times. Can't wait to be exhausted 2 runs in for the next month.

Figured I'd find this thread and say, "Hi."

I saw they opened a Wave Rave in Carson (Pretty big shop up in Mammoth for those not in California), going to hit them up for a set of new gear this week, saw they were having a pretty decent sale. The last time I used my old stuff my bindings broke, my feet were freezing and smashed, and my pants ripped the crotch. I've also never used a helmet in my life, so since I'll be a squid again I should get with the times, and being late 30's I definitely don't bounce when I hit the floor anymore. If anyone has advice for brands or gear from this season that should be on sale to take a look at I'd appreciate that. Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I spent money I don't really have so I figured I'd share with you guys. I lurk a bit in here.

Quick story time:
I decided to get back into skiing. I've been once in the last 20+ years since switching to a board in my teens. I hadn't boarded in over 6 years. Since I was single again after being in a long term relationship with a gal that wasn't into snow I decided to grab an Ikon pass and hit mammoth a bunch. Last season I boarded since I still had my old board. Well my bindings broke immediately and ended up buying some new boots and bindings and a buddy gave me a board to use. The boots suck and it was frankly a painful but still fun experience. My goal for the duration of the pass was to use spring to get used to boarding again, which came pretty quick, and then this season get back on skis. So this last week I decided to rent. Ended up demoing and then buying since the demo price went to purchase and the boots fit sooo well. I tried a couple different skis of different shapes and it was probably my lack of technique and muscle but I was struggling. Never crashed but low sided in semi control a couple times. Got on these and was able to move around and build a little of the old confidence. I was trying to find some used gear leading up to this trip and was getting frustrated with the whole process so I bit the bullet and made the purchase. The poles were my grandfathers from the 90's. They did get a little heavy by the end of each day but I don't really know how to use them so that's on me.

Anyways having a blast, next time I go up I'll be working on carving smoother and weighting myself correctly as these things are bouncing and moving around quite a bit. Cheers! :cheers: