Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Darn Tough Socks > Smartwool Socks

Fight me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Dangerllama posted:

Anyone know if the CAIC going to resume zone forecasts later this year? Right now it’s all state wide. Since I missed the entirety of last season I don’t remember if they stopped doing certain forecasts due to funding cuts or what. #IStillMissTheRose

They did forecasts. It just never snowed enough to be worth checking down here.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

HookShot posted:

I'm booked and ready to ski on the 13th. I don't know where any of my gear is.

Same except I know where most of it is and can’t seem to conceptualize putting it all in an easily accessible place.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

You want the Orca.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Was gonna buy my little sister a used snowboard for Christmas but ski butlers is gonna let me get a new Rossi with their employee discount because of how much business we send them. Any suggestions for an intermediate women’s board from Rossignol?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2017/01/13/worlds-best-ski-resorts-telluride-wows-with-charm-scenery-great-skiing/

Noted ski expert Forbes Magazine thinks Telluride is the tits and that proofreading articles is for pussies.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It makes me want to visit. Is the article wrong?

Not wrong, just poorly written. Give me a shout if you do decide to come.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Flying into telluride is terrifying

https://www.telluridenews.com/news/article_f6d88f0e-ab41-11e5-82c4-4f4958e245b4.html

...especially if the airport is closed

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yuns posted:

I'm super excited for the beginning of the northeast/midatlantic season. I've dropped from 240 lbs at 35%+ percent body fat last season to 150 lbs at about 8% now so it's going to be interesting to see how all my snowboards ride when I'm 90 lbs lighter. Landing jumps is going to be way way easier on my body now though.

drat. That’s impressive. What did you do to your diet? My winter coat seems to be showing up earlier and earlier.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

kiimo posted:

I’m always super psyched to see a new diet until I see no alcohol, then I reject that diet. Every diet has no alcohol so I just decide that I’m going to work out every day instead. That’s no life I want.

Rule 8 is also my problem. My job is becoming more sedentary so I’m gonna have to get back into the gym.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

One of the nice things about managing rich peoples’ vacation homes is you occasionally find treasures like this

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

bringer posted:

How good of a skier do I need to be for heli-skiing to be worth it?

Stellar is doing a locals day for $550 CAD - 6 runs, 3000m vertical. I'm a lovely skier but I'm tempted...

My helicopter experience was what we would call double blue to single black terrain. We had Florida Man with us and he immediately lost a ski and went tumbling down a face, like within 2 minutes of getting out of the helicopter. I also lost a GoPro session during a powder bath. Definitely do it if you can, that’s a great deal. Just riding in the whirlybird is awesome.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Eejit posted:

The weekends are super awful during Feb due to Denver day trippers.

:whatup:

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

the bsd boys posted:

Yesterday I went snowboarding for the first time.

I fell down a lot, and then I fell less. It was great and I can’t wait to collect more interesting new bruises next weekend

Welcome to the learning curve! Make fists when you fall and wear a helmet, and then one day you will hit some powder and begin to float and be changed forever.

Oh and don’t get in the habit of dragging your uphill hand(s) on the ground or you will end up with wrecked shoulders like me.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Took this on my way home from work. I’ve been in Oklahoma for six days so this (and the snow we’re about to get) is, like, extra good.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Skiing powder is fun. This season has been great so far

First pass scan of the year and a foot deep powder day to boot. Don’t skip leg day.

Also I’m headed up to Aspen soon, aren’t you around there?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Mid mountain bars are the best

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Moey posted:

That is cooler than any bar I have ever been to.

Where at?

https://www.tellurideskiresort.com/groups-weddings/weddings/gorrono-ranch-weddings/

Building on the right in the first photo.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Rated PG-34 posted:

http://www.rvl8skiboards.com/

they're wider than skis and like 100cm

So, help me understand. Are these easier to float in powder than regular length skis but more difficult than a snowboard?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I’m headed up to Aspen for a show on Sunday and I think I have my choice of which mountain to ski on Monday with a buddy pass? Would love some local input as the last time I skied there I was 15 and hit a tree on Buttermilk the first day, effectively ending my trip.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Thanks! Sounds like a plan. Sent a PM.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Ski patrol was kind enough to put up a sign that said “We do not recommend skiing in the woods today” at the top of lift 9, so the trees on 9 were great today. Three more days until the Skiing Public arrive.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I picked a really great time of year to quit the hospitality industry.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Love love love surprise powder days. I think we had 1-2” forecasted and ended up with like 8”.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Well I broke my collar bone...

gently caress I’m sorry man

E: if it somehow makes you feel better one of my best friends did that recently, dicking around in the park, right in front of his mom who was visiting for the first time. Double ejected on takeoff trying a 360 and has a giant bone spike sticking out of his shoulder and I’m not sure how I thought that would make you feel better when I started typing this. Cool story.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 26, 2018

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

:agreed: on park riding after 30 but why are people saying “riding” instead of skiing now? I mostly snowboard but most people I know say skiing to refer to both. I just started noticing skiers saying riding on like outside tv but I remember that being something people were adamant about in the 90s/2000s. It really doesn’t matter what you call snow-sliding I just think it must be regional how the vernacular changes.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Anyone know about the lifespan on custom footbeds? I think my boots are just about done and would like to be able to swap my footbeds over to whatever new boots I get.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Razzled posted:

so a guy died in an avalanche.... safety course?

https://coloradosun.com/2019/01/07/silverton-avalanche-peter-marshall-safety-course/

are level 2 courses usually out in actual avalanche territory? i don't know anything about the courses in general but i thought that they were in pretty safe flat areas where you just shovel snow on people and make people dig around for them or something

This happened here a couple years back. Like five partial burials and a couple full burials I think during an avy2 course in Alta Lakes.

If conditions are right you theoretically should get to do some skiing during your avalanche education. Conditions are rarely right in the San Juans.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

^^^ are you gonna have one of those sweet bone spikes?

HookShot posted:

Personally I prefer Icebreaker to Smartwool, but I appear to be in the minority.

I do love my icebreaker socks and layers but am firmly in the darn tough camp. I mean it’s a lifetime guarantee.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 11, 2019

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

My friend Matty owns this awesome backcountry house in the basin behind the Telluride ski resort called the Alta Lakes Observatory.

https://www.altalakes.com/

It's got great big lines all around it, a badass kitchen, sleeps a bunch of people, and snowmobiles to haul all of your poo poo in and out. You can also ski in from the resort if that's your thing. And it has the old mining trestle (featured in several ski movies) right outside its front door.

Full rate is $160/night pp if you have 7 people, but I think I get something like a 20-25% discount. Waiting to hear back from him on that. Looking to put together a group for the first week of April when the snowpack has settled.

Just puttin it out there to see if anyone's interested.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

kiimo posted:

jeans and a Cowboys Starter jacket

Haha this is exactly my gaper costume plus realtree camo gaiters over the ski boots

E: Stolen skis dude, what size skis were they? I also might be able to find you a pair that would work for free plus shipping.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 14, 2019

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

bringer posted:

Nah, this friend actually has a cabin back on Brennan so we took a sled up to it and then toured from there. Definitely feeling the need for a sled after that though, I've already started browsing the classifieds.

Shame you won't be up this winter, let me know when you're up next year and I'll buy you a beer. :)

We followed the left ridge up, had good protection most of the way. Could hear a few avys kicking off - freezing layer was over 2000m - but didn't see any.

Looking back into the bowl.

From near our lunch break. Last picture I took before the sun hid.

Man I wish our snowpack wasn’t so hosed. We’re in an avalanche warning and tomorrow is another storm day so it’ll probably just get worse. Today has been an amazing in-bounds hiking day though. Exhausted and satisfied.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Silverton got 14” in the parking lot today, with a couple feet expected over the next 48 hours. I’m going heli skiing Sunday, gently caress yeah.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I’m about to start a new job where I’m working remotely and if it wasn’t for bride unit’s job I would absolutely be spending my winter there helping them stabilize their snowpack one line at a time.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Man it is snowing angrily in Telluride. I already dislocated my shoulder (again) today. Cocktail + ibuprofen = just ski.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 18, 2019

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Had a real good day at church today. Met the owner of the mountain and he flew us to ski some closed terrain.

Silverton is a really great day of skiing.

E:
the top of the lift and some people earning some good afternoon turns

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 21, 2019

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Kreez posted:

Ski boots suck, but eventually you'll find some combination of bootfitter, boots, and technique that will make things liveable. I finally found that with Lange boots, no socks, and diligently unbuckling the 2nd buckle while on the chair, I have no more issues. Took me multiple decades, multiple bootfitters, dozens of boots, and one day of forgetting to dry out my socks to figure that out. If I forget to unbuckle my boots even one chair ride, my toes go numb and will stay numb to some extent for days, which I can't imagine is healthy. Heated insoles (Hottronics) don't do anything for me.

For my gf, heated insoles solved absolutely everything (in her otherwise well fitted boots).

edit: if your current boots weren't fitted by an experienced (this part is important, you want an old greybeard at a mom and pop shop or working out of their home, not some hourly Australian kid at a chain ski shop) bootfitter, that's 90% likely going to completely solve any issues you have.

What do you mean no socks

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

For the sake of everyone around when you remove your ski boots please wear socks.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Mongoose posted:

On boot chat, the best solution is to go to a trusted shop with good knowledgeable personnel, then ask them to help fit you into some comfortable snowboard boots. Hope that helps.

:agreed:

But I’m on my second and unfortunately last pair of black diamond factors and they fit me like a dream so idk maybe I just have the right socks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Are Langes good for narrow feet? I’ve been told Salomons are the best for narrow feet but when my current boots are finished I’d like to have a couple of options to shop.