Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

queens tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
If they didn’t also get Nick Bakay to do a Salem part I’m gonna be mad.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Haven't watched the show since Season 1 maybe 2, was scouting to see if worth dipping back into or not. Found the scene in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zQm5jfiu4w

Verdict is still out for me, but leaning "watch" because I love satan.

All joke a salad, I'm actually surprised she's back in highschool doing basic highschool stuff.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

White Chicks is still hilarious imo.

But I love trash.

e: also same. i will prob dip in for the queens

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I will never not be surprised Archie comics was cool with the Netflix version going full satanism

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rando posted:

I will never not be surprised Archie comics was cool with the Netflix version going full satanism

The current CCO of Archie Comics is the showrunner for this and Riverdale, as well as I think the creator of the original Chilling Adventures comic?

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'll be damned. Probably smart to shed some of the 50s wholesomeness.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Rando posted:

A friend of mine is a fan of the comic book this series is an adaptation of, and complained the Netflix version didn't go satanist enough.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I guess I need to catch up on what the comics are doing these days. I thought it was all still the same kiddie crap.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

There's a lot of weird side stories and one offs these days, have been for a hot minute now.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah, Archie has been pretty nuts the last few years. The showrunner, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, has pretty vastly different tones in all the things he's done for them--I know Riverdale is extremely over the top, but this seems a very deliberate choice because he's written them in less insane ways before. While this version of Chilling Adventures is a campy supernatural adventure kinda thing, the comic is--well, I wouldn't say the show was based on the comic in anything more than the title; the comic was a lot more like a 70s Satanic Panic horror film except with witches as the main characters, while this show gets almost like.. Harry Potter with Satan.

Sacasa's also written Afterlife With Archie, which is insane and a really good legit horror comic, which is also why I was kinda disappointed when I realized Riverdale would never be going the supernatural route. It starts off with a zombie apocalypse, but it focuses on the horror aspect of that rather than the survival aspect, then uses that as a springboard for other horror things.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Riverdale confuses the poo poo out of me. I used to think Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa was just a lovely writer, and he's definitely got more than his fair share of moments in his better productions. But I actually care about some of the cast in Sabrina, and it's not just thanks to the superior level of performance, and I don't think I'm being wowed by the budget. The dialogue's tighter, the plots are more compelling. There's still a bunch of stupid dropped threads and frustrating nonsense, but it's better than the weird blow-up dolls that pretentiously mope around Riverdale. What a weird loving show.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
The first season genuinely had moments where I was different genuinely surprised they did things. Lately the show has become a lot more tame, and I'm only surprised they did something when it's complete cringe (like It's Tricky).

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 15, 2020

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah, I've read/watched enough of his stuff to realize that it's not so much him being a lovely writer as it is him knowing exactly who he's writing for, and cranking that up to 11. And Riverdale... is definitely not written for me.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Betty and Veronica as the witches who accidentally summoned Madame Satan was the one scene I wish we had in this that was in the comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/sabrinanetflix/status/1339663845015601153?s=20

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

SereneCrimson posted:

If they didn’t also get Nick Bakay to do a Salem part I’m gonna be mad.

Too right.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So is this officially the last part?

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
Yes, but honestly I think it's right to end it as the show isn't likely to improve with more seasons.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/chilling-adventures-sabrina-canceled-at-netflix-1302558

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Poor The Uninvited. He was happy for a minute.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
I'm three episodes in and so far the plots have all been better than anything last season. I prefer this Monster of the Week format to most of their more ambitious attempts at seasons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I love that even in the show's final season, Dorcas still doesn't have her name in the opening credits.

It also amuses me, though more mixedly, that Lucy Davis's character profile still looks nothing like her.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Into the last season and Sabrina is still such an unlikeable turd of a character I don't know how they do it

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Eej posted:

Into the last season and Sabrina is still such an unlikeable turd of a character I don't know how they do it

They learned by looking at you

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Well, I enjoyed exactly one episode. Pretty lackluster overall.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Just after watching the first episode and I can't help but think there was some weird editing going on, like they cut something out?
The main one is where Fr. Blackwood was saying how they won't rest until the streets of Greendale run red with blood and the camera zooms out a little with a musical sting. I was half expecting to see dead bodies in the pews but there's nothing there.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Part 4 is much better than Part 3, but we seriously don't need the Riverdale musical breaks. Total Eclipse of the Heart was so cringey.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Does season 4 provide closure?

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does season 4 provide closure?

Kinda sorta. It's an ending but it felt unsatisfying to me.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

That’s disappointing. I think I recall reading that they’ll continue the story via comics but yeah I’m not into that.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
All four seasons considered I think that this show has many great moments here and there and I love the cast and it looks great but the whole thing never really came together for me. It's a plot/story and vision of the show runner problem I think. They managed to make literally cosmic scale issues feel small.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It's because the satan issues are treated with the same gravity as 16 year old relationship issues and it's super confusing and weird

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It worked for Buffy. I sincerely wonder why.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's because Buffy is a more sympathetic character than Sabrina, huh?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I was also kind of weirded out by how often sabrina needed to be nude onscreen considering her age being very emphatically 16

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I get that, but also if you're gonna lean hard into the "satanic witches" thing a certain amount of nudity is kinda expected.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, especially the last dress Sabrina II wears in Hell. I typically am very forgiving of a lot unsavory poo poo and that disturbed me a bit.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
At any rate Ambrose and his actor were my favorite part of the series.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
She's not 16 because the plot needs her to be, she's 16 because people are horny for highschoolers.

It's the same poo poo as Riverdale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

She's not 16 because the plot needs her to be, she's 16 because people are horny for highschoolers.

It's the same poo poo as Riverdale.

This isn't a Sabrina thing but a huge part of the reason tv shows about high school students having sex are a thing is because the characters have parents telling them "No" and that makes the sex better. The rebellion is what people like, not just the youth.