Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Rando posted:

At any rate Ambrose and his actor were my favorite part of the series.

Yessss we need an Ambrose only spinoff of pre-Sabrina and what happened to put him on house arrest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
He's 134 years old, is a walking encyclopedia of witchcraft and once tried to bomb the Vatican. There's got to be a ton of interesting stories you could tell about him.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rando posted:

At any rate Ambrose and his actor were my favorite part of the series.

Did he have some work done on his teeth prior to (or during) filming of this season? Seemed to have trouble with his S's in some scenes which felt new.

He's great though, as were Richard Coyle and Michelle Gomez.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sebzilla posted:

Did he have some work done on his teeth prior to (or during) filming of this season? Seemed to have trouble with his S's in some scenes which felt new.

I wondered this too. He always sounded like he had a massive wad of chewing gum in his mouth or something.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Super strange narrative that it's romantic to kill yourself out of grief because your loved one is gone

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Eej posted:

Super strange narrative that it's romantic to kill yourself out of grief because your loved one is gone

I'm not sure how a practicing Satanist even gets to Heaven.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

this has been incredibly mediocre from the get-go, but what really drags it down is the last two seasons’ sudden need to include bands out of nowhere

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think the first half of this season is probably the best the show has ever been but then it seems like they got the cancellation news halfway through filming. They crammed an entire season's worth of hell plotline into the back half of season and dropped a ton of plot threads and left a pile of plot holes.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Having just finished it, I thought it was ok but not great. It felt like nearly every episode had a musical number which felt unnecessary.
Also lol at Sabrina being all "This is all my fault, if only I listened to those around me!" only for her to turn around and do things she was specifically told not to yet again. And it did seem like they were setting up things for the next season and just decided to leave those in when they heard about getting cancelled.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
This Facist Blackwood episode is super heavy handed but I love how he looks like M Bison.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sarah posted:

Yessss we need an Ambrose only spinoff of pre-Sabrina and what happened to put him on house arrest.

Give me the Ambrose and Prudence spin-off that takes place immediately after season 2(?) where they're geared up like IRL Witchers and hunting down Blackwood.

Finished this last night, I don't think I'll ever be able to decide if it was a good show or not but I enjoyed it, which I guess is all that matters in the end?

Eej posted:

I think the first half of this season is probably the best the show has ever been but then it seems like they got the cancellation news halfway through filming. They crammed an entire season's worth of hell plotline into the back half of season and dropped a ton of plot threads and left a pile of plot holes.

Yeah like the season/series finale involves Satan being overthrown and cast out of Hell and it's practically a C-plot in the episode. Just some wild stakes and priorities in this show all around.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 3, 2021

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I didn't expect this show to devolve into basically weird, Kingdom Hearts levels of body swapping and rules lawyoring magic but I guess I should have seen it coming from how often Sabrina tends to bend rules.

Also Down with the Sickness??? Really?????

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Eej posted:

The last 2 episodes especially fell apart.

I enjoyed the weirdness of the Endless episode but then Sabrina Morningstar is just dead for no reason and the endless didn't make it through the mirror. No explanations. After the whole attempt at merging and her going to the other cosmos to avoid her death, she's just gone.

The entire season had things like that where from episode to episode things just dropped out of nowhere or things were just instantly wrapped up. Here's just a small list:

Sabrina's identity crisis - I guess she solved this by dying?
RIP Dorian
Nick randomly just ditching Prudence
Sabrina's blood candle boyfriend - Flushed down the drain but a ominous lingering shot as it goes down?
Random love interest in the Weird episode
Dr. Cerberus' Incubus is randomly exorcised for no reason. Why didn't they just do that before?
The carnival is still there.
Roz is a witch and a weird sister but we're going to do nothing with that. Also she stops having visions and after the Hitler Blackwood episode isn't part of the story much at all.
Lilith's Baby - Whoops he's dead now. What boon did she get? Where did the thing saying mama come from?
The Fae - This felt like it was starting a setup to Season 5 but nope Puck and Theo are back together, no explanation. There were pretty much no character development or focus on either of them outside that bite-sized nothing of a side story.
The Endless - Just gone, no explanation.
Metatron and the Celestial realm - Another potential setup. Nope, thread dead
Baron Samadi out of nowhere
The Class President election
The Traveling Salesman
Sabrina being completely over Edward nothing being her father in a second
Dr Cerberus's mother killed all his exes?
Judas and Judith - No idea what happens to them
Did they free Caliban from the void at the end? Would be pretty lovely considering how much Sabrina Morningstar legitimately seems to care for him
Pilgrim of the Night Church - What the gently caress is the point of Wardwell's narration in the last episode?
Hell is overflowing and they need to do something about it.
So Nick just went and killed himself? Ending on a positive note about suicide is a bad choice.
What happened to Sabrina Morningstar?
Why wouldn't you throw Blackwood in the void? He's the cause of most of the bad things that happened in the show. (Sabrina caused the rest).

The constantly changing who is ruling/wants to rule hell subplot... Sabrina is crowned. But Lucifer is in charge and she's just sorta there? Then she and Caliban. Then they talk about a child. But Lilith's pregnant? And now everyone is worried about whose child will rule. Oh Lilith's child is dead. When there was no real reason to kill him because couldn't she just hide or they just smack Lucifer down again. (Come to think of it, how is Lucifer free to do whatever the gently caress he wants?) Now Lilith is Queen?

Ok that turned into a long list and I didn't even have to think that much about it. After going through it more, I think I just didn't like the season at all. There were some great moments for some characters but on the whole it was like 4 seasons of plot ideas slammed into one with no filter or attention to detail. There was little to no character development (outside of Zelda and Marie). In the last episode, one of the characters even had to explicitly ask Blackwood what the gently caress he was doing because the plot made so little sense.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Endless made it through, he falls out of Morningstar's arms when they jump through the portal they just never talk about him ever again

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Eej posted:

The Endless made it through, he falls out of Morningstar's arms when they jump through the portal they just never talk about him ever again

I thought I saw that but it never ever gets mentioned so I just assumed I was mistaken.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
In the battle of the bands ep they just kind of forget that Harvey's dad owns some sort of incredible (magic?) cherry red Fender. I figured he'd whip it out at the battle of the bands, take up his father's sword (axe haha) and save his soul by playing some face melting solo. But nah he's playing his own guitar and covering the time warp and they suck so bad that sabrina has to come and save them. This show forgot a mcguffin it set up in the first few minutes of the same episode.

Oh poo poo and while I'm on that episode I have no idea what the other sideplot actually achieved. Sabrina goes off and finds the girl Satanic Panic murdered so she can avenge herself, but she shows up after their performance to burn them and then that doesn't kill them it just makes them all toasty and cooked and they continue to vamp in the bg until Lucifer peaces out. Like other than it being nice that she got to hurt her murderers with Sabrina's help what purpose did it serve?

I did like a few nods in that episode though. Playing the song from Return of the Living Dead, one of the band members being name after Trash, Harvey's dad's guitar possibly being a reference to something from Bat out of Hell II though I might be reaching, and the band who Satanic Panic were supposed to go up against in the 80s were Archie and Jughead's dads band

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
The Battle of the Bands episode was where my wife just stopped giving a poo poo about anything that was happening. Like you mentioned, hellfire doing nothing to them was just bizarre.

The ending should have just been Sabrina Spellman and Sabrina Morningstar together in the Hereafter. They spent all season on their relationship and how they’d always be there for each other but then loving Nick kills himself and just shows up?

The list of weird nonsensical poo poo just keeps growing the more I think of it. It also feels like they had a massively reduced budget for this season. Minimal visual effects, no new locations other than small plan indoor rooms. Very few outdoor scenes in general. Last season had the whole carnival and the Green Man which was a big new outdoor location.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It is funny that they cast the Stonewall Prep people to get brutally murdered by an infernal punk band though

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Another thing I don't get that I just thought about: what was the deal with Agatha? She wasn't insane at the beginning of the season, then went back to being insane after the Imp episode. Did I miss something?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Well I don't know what hot bullshit that was, it's not like Nick Bakay can't do the voice anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9wdJVYcnX8

I'm glad Caroline Rhea and Beth Broderick got work but... gently caress. Don't have the cat talk, then!

One goddamn thing they had to get right. I don't think I'll even finish this.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So I just finished and what the gently caress was that ending?!

I feel the Eldridge Terrors were kind of a wet fart overall. What should have been lovecraftian horror from the start of the season became a sad cut-price ‘horror’. The uninvited lol.

Still it was mostly enjoyable overall. This was a show that flew by on style and some good performances and a lot of camp.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just finished the Uninvited one and I was kinda hoping that they were leading up to him getting cold feet and leaving her and then she'd have to deal with having been rejected by literally the loneliest being in existence.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

My wife and I were both pretty lukewarm by the end of Season 3 - despite really enjoying Seasons 1 and 2 - but boy howdy I am remarkably impressed with how thoroughly and utterly Season 4 poo poo the bed in pretty much every conceivable way. There were still a few isolated moments where it resembled the things I actually enjoyed about the show prior to this but they were a few tiny diamonds in a sea of absolute dreck.

Don't even get me started on the sudden prevalence of musical performances that kicked off with the Masquerade sequence at the end of Season 2. I can't decide if the Total Eclipse of the Heart sex scene or the Sweet Child of Mine Battle of the Bands one is the worst, but they're all godawful.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
Season 4 was basically the horse drawing meme in TV format. Strong start, kind of iffy decisions along the way and a totally baffling ending. It does feel like they found out about cancellation half-way through writing the season arc, because there were lots of plot points left abandoned.

The show overall was a mixed bag. I am a bit annoyed that Riverdale seemed to influence it so much (high school teenage band sex drama musical number)... I feel it could've worked harder to craft a style of its own. That being said, I'm glad the show got a run and I enjoyed a lot of episodes, and it's not like it was aiming to be the pinnacle of television.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
I actually enjoyed episode 7 as a weird bottle episode with Sabrina Morningstar; something about the stuffed cat being a serious character was hilarious to me.
At the end when Sabrina is all "what's after page 29?" and there's dramatic music and a zoom-in on Salem's face, I couldn't stop laughing - I'm assuming this was completely intentional humour and gave the episode a swerve into the sillyness of Sabrina the Teenage Witch.
Though I wish we'd had Salem's proper voice, it would have added a lot.

I will admit that despite my love of stuffed-cat-serious-Salem, it probably wasn't a good choice for a penultimate episode when they had so much to wrap up.

There was an out of place "previously on..." recap on episode 7, which when I was watching made me think it was the half-way point of the season. I'm guessing that the intention was to have more episodes (possibly with a mid-season split?) which 2020 ruined somehow? There was certainly enough rushed stuff in episode 8 to see something's wrong.

I agree the the very final scene felt completely 'off'. Like, Nick just died offscreen? And this is a good thing he's happy about, so they can be forever together in the afterlife? What? Weird message and uncomfortable implications. Definitely agree with Lawlicaust above, the final scene would have worked much better with Sabrina Morningstar arriving to sit next to Sabrina Spellman

Noonsaliwah fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 9, 2021

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
Episode 7 would've been a fine stand-alone episode if it didn't culminate in Morningstar dying from self-defenestration (wtf?) and stuffed Salem lying forgotten and abandoned on the floor. That's when I knew the writers were in 'no fucks given, wrap this poo poo up' mode.

Ovenmaster fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 9, 2021

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Ovenmaster posted:

Episode 7 would've been a fine stand-alone episode if it didn't culminate in Morningstar dying from self-defenestration (wtf?) and stuffed Salem lying forgotten and abandoned on the floor. That's when I knew the writers were in 'no fucks given, wrap this poo poo up' mode.

That happened in Episode 8, you can’t blame Episode 7 for it!
(Really shows just how much they ended up squeezing into episode 8)

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Just finished the season/series, I guess.

I was rather bored with it up until the episode with the magic guitar from hell where it veered to 'so bad it's good' territory. Genuinely loved the meta approach with the alternate reality episode and the irony that the show got cancelled is not lost on me.

The final episode wasn't great but the antagonists being literal celestial beings and Sabrina dying fighting them is a fitting end.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Just got through the last two episodes and I am astounded at how stupid—bordering on dangerous—that final scene is. How that scene got written, approved, filmed, edited and broadcast, I have no idea. You'd think with all the people working on this show someone would have spotted the grotesque implications and cut it.
That said, I really liked the entire rest of the final episode and most of the season. I'm not a fan of the usual US teen drama sickly-sweet happy endings, which I was dreading Sabrina would have, and this certainly was not one of those. While there are many plot threads unresolved or resolved too quickly (oh hi, Baron Samedi?!) and the music 'performances' need to be cut right the gently caress out (at least the Riverdale cast are mostly-competent singers), part 4 overall is a step up from 3 and I'm pretty satisfied with it as a finale. If they'd left out those final two minutes it would have been about as good as anyone could hope for, given the reduced budget and cut-short production.

It seems there's absolutely zero chance of production on Part 5 restarting, but if I could get a Prudence spin-off, I'd be very happy. Tati Gabrielle has more star presence than anyone else on the show and her running around fighting monsters-of-the-week in a Buffy-cum-Witcher style could be fantastically entertaining. Ambrose and Agatha as her Willow and Xander, maybe keep Lilith on tap for exposition dumps.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I agree that the implications of that ending are especially terrible, but I was more thrown because I was sure they were going to pay off another dropped thread: Baron Samedi, gatekeeper of life and death, gives Zelda a way to magically call them for a favor, and Zelda doesn't think to use this when Sabrina dies? They even have a shadowy figure show up to represent death and everything! I was 100% certain that was going to be the payoff.

Generally speaking I enjoyed the season and the series - it's frequently pulpy nonsense (and the musical numbers are extremely cringeworthy), but it was also usually an easy and fun watch, and I don't regret the time I spent on it.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I started watching this show with my wife because I kept overhearing references to classic horror/weird fiction stories and I was hoping it was going to be going in that direction, but it really never does, does it? Specifically I heard the circus guy in season 3 call himself The Great God Pan and Sabrina says she's going to meet the other Sabrina in The Yellow Wallpaper room, and all of the casual references to Lovecraft stories and mythos. It's disappointing because the writers must be familiar with (or at least aware of) these stories but the "eldritch terrors" just seems like easily defeated generic monsters.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's funny because there is some actual unsettling Lovecraftian terror in Afterlife With Archie, written by the same guy running Sabrina and Riverdale. I recommend reading it if you wanna see the Archie characters thrust into horror; it's actually quite well-written (which makes me kinda realize that the over the topness of the TV shows has to be on purpose and aimed squarely at a particular audience). It starts with a zombie apocalypse but it goes into other kinds of horror as well. Unfortunately, the series went on hiatus after issue 10 because Sacasa got too busy running the shows, but the few issues there are, are quality stuff.

edit: I just finished the Endless episode and after a bunch of mediocre eps, I actually really liked that one; it was some really neat and weird surreal horror stuff.

Argue fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 17, 2021

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Deadite posted:

I started watching this show with my wife because I kept overhearing references to classic horror/weird fiction stories and I was hoping it was going to be going in that direction, but it really never does, does it? Specifically I heard the circus guy in season 3 call himself The Great God Pan and Sabrina says she's going to meet the other Sabrina in The Yellow Wallpaper room, and all of the casual references to Lovecraft stories and mythos. It's disappointing because the writers must be familiar with (or at least aware of) these stories but the "eldritch terrors" just seems like easily defeated generic monsters.

I recently realized (I’m not sure if from this thread or because I stumbled upon it) that in season 1 the song the choir is singing when Sabrina joins the choir is a Manson Family song.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RtuuTSIZWPs

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I just realised that when Sabrina dies, Salem will also die. :(

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Why did you just do this to me

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Andrew_1985 posted:

Prophetic thread title right there.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Poor Salem :(

And the Perverse still exists outside the Void along with presumably the Endless. Really wanted some back story for the trinket guy.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
For most of this show it seems like things just happen and then the scene changes for the next thing to happen. Nobody seems to have a real plan or agency

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Finally finished this season.

Blackwood declaring himself LORD GOD KING (of Greendale) was hysterical. It's like the show wanted to do these enormous, high-concept stories that kept getting hamstrung by how small the world that'd actually been built was. I really liked the TV episode, but being halfway through WandaVision and completely prepped for weirdo meta production stuff probably accounted for a lot of my goodwill.

Ultimately, last season was such a boring slog that once this season shed all pretense of getting a fifth season and just started throwing everything within reach at the wall, subsequently ignoring what stuck anyway, it was a legitimately fun watch. And James Urbaniak got a paycheck out of it. Too bad Nick Bakay didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Sabrina is the worst. Couldn't let the actual band win a battle of the bands had to have Sabrina step in and now she is Axl Rose and wins.