Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

filmstruck...

is dead :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

eat poo poo at&t

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
*fragments streaming content into 1000 services*

Why is nobody subscribing to our service :downs:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA2fxeHo8r4

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

All I want is a little black box that plays every film ever released in world history in 16K in ONLY the original aspect ratio and 22.2 surround sound for $9.99/month.

Oh and also the movies must stay on in perpetuity. None of that disappearing at the end of the month stuff.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Zogo posted:

All I want is a little black box that plays every film ever released in world history in 16K in ONLY the original aspect ratio and 22.2 surround sound for $9.99/month.

Oh and also the movies must stay on in perpetuity. None of that disappearing at the end of the month stuff.

Hell, for that I'd pay $11.99/month

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So on the interest of making this a fun thread, what would people say are the most important films on Filmstruck to watch before it goes down? Maybe a top 10 of most important and a top 10 of best/favorite films?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Can this also be the queue clearout thread? I watched The Marriage of Maria Braun (hell yeah) and The Taking of Power by Louis XIV (snoozeville) so far this weekend, not sure what to go with tonight.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I mentioned it in the streaming thread, but it should be here too: Kanopy has some Criterion content if you can sub to the service.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

fr0id posted:

So on the interest of making this a fun thread, what would people say are the most important films on Filmstruck to watch before it goes down? Maybe a top 10 of most important and a top 10 of best/favorite films?

fair and good idea! :)

i got so crushed when I first saw the message that I scrambled to :justpost:

thats a doozie question though. I've been thinking about what films I first found via filmstruck or otherwise won't ever easily accidentally run across that I wanna own copies of despite a very limited budget, and thats tough. there's so many!

there are movies that I found that clicked perfectly because of the time during my life when I discovered them

and there are movies that I will appreciate irregardless of whenever I found them

and some that just stink

I'm too dumb to make a quantified list :rip: but I'm trying hard to think what I wanna watch to make the most of the time left

one thing I will not miss is their interface -- they only ditched flash in the recent months :barf:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Jose Oquendo posted:

I mentioned it in the streaming thread, but it should be here too: Kanopy has some Criterion content if you can sub to the service.

that looks to seem relatively great for the price of free (besides the minor amount in taxes that living in a society costs) so thanks for the info!

all the more reason to get my current local library memberships up to snuff

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

So like the spooky movie thread, I’ve set a goal of 35 movies until this thing is shuttered. I watched my first “official” movie for the countdown last night, and this list will mostly consist of things I’ve been putting off.

1. Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters: I was really not expecting the narrative turn going into it, but once you realize that it’s written by Paul Shrader the direction makes sense. It’s based off of a real person and is produced by Coppola and Lucas, with an all Japanese cast. Gorgeous, stylized (my roommate kept referring to the look as “city pop”). 8.5/10

Short 1: Old Man: an animated phone call from Charles Manson in prison. It’s six minutes long and has cool visuals. Recommended.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Power of Pecota posted:

The Taking of Power by Louis XIV (snoozeville)

smh

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

fr0id posted:

Cat People (J. Tournier)
Eraserhead (D. Lynch)
In The Mood for Love (Wong Kar Wai; really, watch all of his movies)
El Topo, The Holy Mountan (A. Jodorowsky)
F For Fake (O. Welles)
Grey Gardens
Eyes Without a Face
Stalker, Solaris, Andrei Rublev (pretty much any Tarkovsky)
Persona
Chungking Express

The list goes on and on.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Power of Pecota posted:

The Marriage of Maria Braun (hell yeah)

I finally finished watching this after getting a bit spent on fassbinder and yeah, it was decent. but now I've seen it

any of y'all gone down the Lina Wertmüller rabbit hole?

that was a fun nice trip through a bunch of a director's films

and I know it isn't old, but The Great Beauty (2013) is stuck in my head years later and I can't pinpoint why I feel bad for loving it except for thinking that it felt like a guilty wandering pleasure. colorful. delightful. blah blah blah.

:negative:

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Jose Oquendo posted:

Made a Kanopy account because of this post. Thanks for the heads up.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
stuff to watch on filmstruck that does not have a hd physical release (at least not for the american region code):

the mirror
mouchette
the human condition

also don’t forget the criterion sale is happening right now. filmstruck shutting down convinced me to start getting more physical releases. i don’t ever want to not have access to andrei rublev or a man escaped.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I think Snow Trail (1947) is still streaming on Filmstruck?

No home media release in the U.S. but an amazing Japanese noir. Toshiro Mifune's first film role, excellent performance from Takashi Shimura. Screenplay by Akira Kurosawa and directed by Senkichi Taniguchi who's probably best known for co-writing Kurosawa's The Quiet Duel. Get on that poo poo while you can y'all.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

TrixRabbi posted:

I think Snow Trail (1947) is still streaming on Filmstruck?

No home media release in the U.S. but an amazing Japanese noir. Toshiro Mifune's first film role, excellent performance from Takashi Shimura. Screenplay by Akira Kurosawa and directed by Senkichi Taniguchi who's probably best known for co-writing Kurosawa's The Quiet Duel. Get on that poo poo while you can y'all.

it still is streaming, yes!

and what a good call! thanks

I was thinking about this movie awhile ago but could only remember watching it but not enough details to find it while searching. the moment I saw the poster it all came back :allears:

have any of you suckas' never watched Dersu Uzala?

it is SO good imho, and a kurosawa that sorta seems glanced over maybe

CAPITAAAN!

DERSU????!

CAPITAN!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

have you seen Set Me Free (1999)?

I get that it isn't totally analogous but after starting to watch Mouchette on your recommendation, I thought back to it

youth being lost while growing up is something I can't ever stop relating to...

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

Bulgakov posted:

have you seen Set Me Free (1999)?

I get that it isn't totally analogous but after starting to watch Mouchette on your recommendation, I thought back to it

youth being lost while growing up is something I can't ever stop relating to...

i haven’t seen it. i’ll check it out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm just sorta digging around. I'm kinda favoring the Warner stuff, since I have confidence that Criterion will probably find a home (or at least keep the material they have in good condition while they look for one), whereas this whole thing is because AT&T is trying to set up a big Warner-branded streaming service and there's no guarantee they'll offer all of this catalogue or present it in a place you can find it.

Plus, Disney just announced the service they've been working on and that's not going up until the end of next year. This poo poo takes time- which honestly makes this a little more infuriating, because what they could have done is just let Filmstruck continue while they set up their new service, and then fold in the content, let people transfer their subs, etc.

But anyway, yeah. I will say, my tastes run more to classic Hollywood and genre than the really obscure stuff they have up, so I'm watching stuff like Night Nurse and Trog (Joan Crawford's last movie!) rather than some of what's been talked about in this thread. Though I will have to get to some of the big things eventually- there's no better time to finally watch Greed.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bulgakov posted:

have any of you suckas' never watched Dersu Uzala?

it is SO good imho, and a kurosawa that sorta seems glanced over maybe

One of his more glanced over ones. Dodes'ka-den is another Criterion by him that's extremely overlooked.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'm so busy right now my final days with Filmstruck are being squandered on things like work, and relationships, and responsibilities.

But I got in a good double feature over the weekend: I Was a Teenage Zombie (1987) and The Outrage (1964).

Neither of these movies have anything to do with each other and don't even make a particularly proper double feature but they were on my To Do list before service shuts down. I Was a Teenage Zombie is a Troma-adjacent, no-budget zombie flick with a shockingly good soundtrack. Its the director's only film before he denounced filmmaking and became a monk (the movie does have an oddly Catholic with tongue-in-cheek sense of morality to it). It's the story of a bunch of loser whiteboy teens who are trying to score some weed, but wind up tossing their braggadocios Italian drug dealer Mussolini (nicknamed Moose for short) into a polluted river after he sells them some bad bud. The radioactive waste in the river turns Mussolini into a zombie who wants revenge on the boys. When he kills one of them, the friends throw their friend into the river to reanimate him as a zombie to help them take down Mussolini. Not available on home video -- DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS!

The Outrage is an American remake of Rashomon but as a western. Directed by the highly underrated Martin Ritt (Norma Rae, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold) it's got a powerhouse cast: Paul Newman as the bandit, Claire Bloom as the wife, and Howard Da Silva, Edward G. Robinson, and a pre-Star Trek William Shatner in the framing sequences (set at a broken down train station on a rainy night). As direct a remake of Kurosawa as you could want, it's kind of shocking this has become so forgotten. It's certainly a better film than The Magnificent Seven.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I don't at all have much optimism that whatever identity filmstruck formed, slow as it might have been over time before gaining a sense of what it wanted to be, will survive this transition

hopefully someone who knows things better will or has somehow maybe strip the website of info and made lists of all the collections and double features and spotlight movies etc etc. the short interviews and other features that don't exist on discs...where do they land?

it seems like a less than zero amount of effort put into cultivating a little tiny corner of caring -- and then at&t showed up and did what was always expected :(

I know I'm going to never see a buncha intriguing stuff though due to the garbage interface. exploring is awful. looking online for click bait "best things this month!!" remained as unappealing as ever.

it was only within the last few months for frigs sake that they stopped using :blastu: flash player if one showed up via a browser :barf:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
They never got their service working on consoles which was just dumb.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Warner Archive needs to update their site:

"Warner Archive and FilmStruck

We are excited to announce a partnership with FilmStruck, an affiliated service now streaming Warner Archive classics. With access to the best of the Warner Archive film library, FilmStruck will deliver the most comprehensive online catalog of classic films available, streaming iconic Hollywood classics, art house, indie, foreign and cult films from Turner Classic Movies (TCM) in collaboration with the Criterion Collection.

All current Warner Archive subscriptions will be honored on FilmStruck, where you will have access to the same films you enjoyed from WarnerArchive.com, as well as a new library of streaming videos.

It has been our pleasure sharing the best of classic Hollywood with you. You can find information on new Warner Archive Collection DVDs, Blu-rays and Digital Downloads at wb.com/warnerarchive. For online streaming of classic Warner Archive films, we'll see you over at FilmStruck!

If you have any questions or if we can further assist you in any way, please feel free to email the FilmStruck customer service team at help@filmstruck.com"

https://warnerarchive.com/

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Bulgakov posted:

it was only within the last few months for frigs sake that they stopped using :blastu: flash player if one showed up via a browser :barf:

The new player runs like absolute poo poo on my laptop, I miss the old one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They never got their service working on consoles which was just dumb.

There were ads for it coming to PS4 forever but it never happened. But the ad I saw for it made me never check it out.

I never gave FilmStruck a chance because I thought the idea of it being “Netflix for film buffs” I assumed was just marketing crap because my first contact with it was a huge ad for it on the PS4 that had the description of how it was showing important films and stuff so I immediately went to check it out/download the app if it was there and the first movie it had plastered all over itself to promote itself with was Resident Evil: Retribution and there is no typeface on earth that can express the caliber of the LOL I had at that juxtaposition being its first impression vs. the bluster of what they purported themselves to be before I deleted it and forgot it existed.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm in the middle of Tokyo Twilight now, and I've already seen Tokyo Story. Any other essential Ozu I should catch?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

General Dog posted:

I'm in the middle of Tokyo Twilight now, and I've already seen Tokyo Story. Any other essential Ozu I should catch?

Late Spring is dope. People like Good Morning.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

General Dog posted:

Late Spring and Early Summer form a trilogy of sorts with Tokyo Story. If you like any of those films, you can continue with Late Autumn (with Setsuko Hara in a matronly role) and his final film, An Autumn Afternoon.

If you really like Tokyo Twilight (Ozu never really went that dark again), you can look up some Mikio Naruse films like Sound of the Mountain or his great Floating Clouds. If you want a lighter take on the material in Tokyo Twilight, seek out Equinox Flower.

Oh, and for silents, can't go wrong with I Was Born, But..., of which Good Morning is kind of a remake. Speaking of remakes, of the two Floating Weeds, I would go with the color version.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

General Dog posted:

My favorite is The Only Son (1936).

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://twitter.com/FilmStruck/status/784017961501790208

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Here lies Filmstruck, they never PS4'd

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

General Dog posted:

Here lies Filmstruck, they never PS4'd

hehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I finally watched The Double Life of Veronique last night. Dang.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

https://www.change.org/p/warnermedia-keep-filmstruck-alive/u/23622858

"MAJOR UPDATE!! The Criterion Channel, a new, independent streaming service, launching in Spring 2019

The Criterion Channel will be picking up where FilmStruck left off, with thematic programming, regular filmmaker spotlights, and actor retrospectives, featuring major classics and hard-to-find discoveries from Hollywood and around the world, complete with special features like commentaries, behind-the-scenes footage and original documentaries. The Criterion Channel will continue to produce their guest programmer series, Adventures in Moviegoing, which has already featured such cinephile luminaries as Barry Jenkins, Guillermo del Toro, Bill Hader, and Mira Nair. Criterion's monthly 15-minute film school, Observations on Film Art, Tuesday's Short + Feature, and the Friday double-bill will all be back as well."

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6044-new-independent-criterion-channel-to-launch-spring-2019

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I got an email from them with that info. It's between $9-10. The email also said that Warner's streaming service launching next year will have their stuff too, so that may end up being the better value depending on what you want and what Warner actually ends up offering in their service.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Whoa! Neato.

I'm just cynical a zillion times over that giant entertainment cable company corporation will be the worst but I'll still be ready to check it out anyways!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

“The new service will be wholly owned and controlled by the Criterion Collection. We hope to be available in U.S. and Canada at launch, rolling out additional territories over time.”

god be praised

i did the “charter subscriber” signup and all of you should too