Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

filmstruck...

is dead :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

eat poo poo at&t

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

fr0id posted:

So on the interest of making this a fun thread, what would people say are the most important films on Filmstruck to watch before it goes down? Maybe a top 10 of most important and a top 10 of best/favorite films?

fair and good idea! :)

i got so crushed when I first saw the message that I scrambled to :justpost:

thats a doozie question though. I've been thinking about what films I first found via filmstruck or otherwise won't ever easily accidentally run across that I wanna own copies of despite a very limited budget, and thats tough. there's so many!

there are movies that I found that clicked perfectly because of the time during my life when I discovered them

and there are movies that I will appreciate irregardless of whenever I found them

and some that just stink

I'm too dumb to make a quantified list :rip: but I'm trying hard to think what I wanna watch to make the most of the time left

one thing I will not miss is their interface -- they only ditched flash in the recent months :barf:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Jose Oquendo posted:

I mentioned it in the streaming thread, but it should be here too: Kanopy has some Criterion content if you can sub to the service.

that looks to seem relatively great for the price of free (besides the minor amount in taxes that living in a society costs) so thanks for the info!

all the more reason to get my current local library memberships up to snuff

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Power of Pecota posted:

The Marriage of Maria Braun (hell yeah)

I finally finished watching this after getting a bit spent on fassbinder and yeah, it was decent. but now I've seen it

any of y'all gone down the Lina Wertmüller rabbit hole?

that was a fun nice trip through a bunch of a director's films

and I know it isn't old, but The Great Beauty (2013) is stuck in my head years later and I can't pinpoint why I feel bad for loving it except for thinking that it felt like a guilty wandering pleasure. colorful. delightful. blah blah blah.

:negative:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

TrixRabbi posted:

I think Snow Trail (1947) is still streaming on Filmstruck?

No home media release in the U.S. but an amazing Japanese noir. Toshiro Mifune's first film role, excellent performance from Takashi Shimura. Screenplay by Akira Kurosawa and directed by Senkichi Taniguchi who's probably best known for co-writing Kurosawa's The Quiet Duel. Get on that poo poo while you can y'all.

it still is streaming, yes!

and what a good call! thanks

I was thinking about this movie awhile ago but could only remember watching it but not enough details to find it while searching. the moment I saw the poster it all came back :allears:

have any of you suckas' never watched Dersu Uzala?

it is SO good imho, and a kurosawa that sorta seems glanced over maybe

CAPITAAAN!

DERSU????!

CAPITAN!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

have you seen Set Me Free (1999)?

I get that it isn't totally analogous but after starting to watch Mouchette on your recommendation, I thought back to it

youth being lost while growing up is something I can't ever stop relating to...

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I don't at all have much optimism that whatever identity filmstruck formed, slow as it might have been over time before gaining a sense of what it wanted to be, will survive this transition

hopefully someone who knows things better will or has somehow maybe strip the website of info and made lists of all the collections and double features and spotlight movies etc etc. the short interviews and other features that don't exist on discs...where do they land?

it seems like a less than zero amount of effort put into cultivating a little tiny corner of caring -- and then at&t showed up and did what was always expected :(

I know I'm going to never see a buncha intriguing stuff though due to the garbage interface. exploring is awful. looking online for click bait "best things this month!!" remained as unappealing as ever.

it was only within the last few months for frigs sake that they stopped using :blastu: flash player if one showed up via a browser :barf:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

General Dog posted:

Here lies Filmstruck, they never PS4'd

hehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I finally watched The Double Life of Veronique last night. Dang.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Whoa! Neato.

I'm just cynical a zillion times over that giant entertainment cable company corporation will be the worst but I'll still be ready to check it out anyways!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I signed up and got the hopeful sounding email but y'all gotta understand, and probably do, the messy terror that is the terrible consolidation of delivery providers and media ownership oligopolies :negative:

I wanna believe tho

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

time to start marathoning the longest things I can find and see if the stream goes dark forever during playback :911:

appreciated filmstruck while it lasted

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I was watching another movie, Woman in the Dunes, when it seemed to freeze during playback. I closed it in case it was just the player goofing up, but then got a 404 on the movie's page. And so...

FILMSTRUCK DOT COM time of death, ~9AM EST :rip:

:negative:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Zogo posted:

They should've at least had the decency to let the film finish. Especially a good one like that.

I found it on youtube! Really enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Oh yeh...

The Year of the Quiet Sun ripped my heart straight outta my stomach. :negative: