Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

frankenfreak posted:

What bothers me about this that the recorded expenses don't seem to be doing much to get his name out. This seems like an election where people go "Oh, I heard this name before!" when in the voting booth. (We don't know what exactly that consultant did, though.)

I'd guess turnout is so ridiculously low that getting your name out to like, a few people would be enough to swing it

guy's name is already first in the alphabet so he's got an advantage from the get-go (depending on how the county does their ballots) e: ok i reread and his name is actually second in the alphabet so it's understandable he needs a much bigger pile of money to get past that huge setback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is this how it feels to put on a pair of They Live sunglasses?

Cerebral Bore has issued a correction as of 20:49 on Oct 28, 2018

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

I have greatly enjoyed this thread but to my broken commie European brain this seems like an office that shouldn't be elected but instead manned by civil servants.

hella :same: what the hell California?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

I'm not seeing their positions on nuclear wessels.

Hey I found a potential source of the 41

Op may be in too deep with this thread, too soon to tell though

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I feel honored that i get to vote against someone entirely based on c-spam research.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

marmot25 posted:

I feel honored that i get to vote against someone entirely based on c-spam research.

im jealous, i wish i lived in alameda so i could vote against this guy

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Cubone posted:

largest contribution? $5,000 from a guy called Grant Mulligan, owner of ParcelQuest. what's ParcelQuest? ParcelQuest is a middleman company that collates, organizes, and resells data from the county assessors offices... which is kind of hosed up! Jim Johnson's getting my side-eye now. surely that's one of the only people who could possibly have a vested financial interest in being in the good graces of the county assessor, right? and he's just lining this motherfucker's pockets. would just about figure, wouldn't it?

I do like the implication here that both candidates are actually corrupt, it's just that this guy's independent mom-and-pop small-time corruption is being priced out of the corruption market by Mr. 41 Warchest. the workings of modern democracy in a nutshell, I guess

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

UrbicaMortis posted:

It's funny because I assume the intention of making so many civil positions electable was to make as democratic and accountable a society as possible, but because there's so much money in us politics, it's just made even tiny positions corrupt.

Yeah the idea that you get to vote on who enforces the laws in your town and who does the taxes seems like a noble, democratic idea; it might have worked in towns of like 200 people who all have about the same means. In an environment suffused with untraceable money and just being one of about a million people in a county means there's even less accountability in an elected position than one appointed through a civil service framework.
It's funny, we talk about america being this Grand Experiment but we're pretty bad at actually adjusting things when we experiment and realize they're all hosed up

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMX2lPum_pg

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Grondoth posted:

It's funny, we talk about america being this Grand Experiment but we're pretty bad at actually adjusting things when we experiment and realize they're all hosed up
Because it's clearly not what The Founders(PBUT) would have wanted!

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

america is in perpetual beta and the grognards won't let us patch the game-breaking capitalism, racism and patriarchy bugs

:goonsay:

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Thank you OP. I couldn't find poo poo for information on these two but now I'm voting for Jim Johnson.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Angepain posted:

guy's name is already first in the alphabet so he's got an advantage from the get-go (depending on how the county does their ballots) e: ok i reread and his name is actually second in the alphabet so it's understandable he needs a much bigger pile of money to get past that huge setback

goon project: let's all change our name to Aaron Aadvark and take over a city

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I ran this by my parents
my mom agreed that it's weird, complimented me for being thorough, and complained about how confusing the ballot is this year
my dad "guaranteed" that "it's the masons"

thanks, mom & dad

twoday posted:

In Mexico "cuarenta y uno" (41) is slang referring to a homosexual. This is due to the 1901 arrest of 41 homosexuals at a hotel in Mexico City during the government of Porfirio Díaz (1876–1911).
lol

anime was right posted:

The .41 might be a sign of a bundler
I thought about that, because it seems like it'd be the most rational explanation, but wouldn't that make more sense if it was 41 cents?

$41 on top of a $100 donation seems like a strange balance

iSimian posted:

Also, does not the county assessor have the power to assess public property to a low, low price thus letting groups or individuals buy these low priced public properties for easy flipping?
maybe? I'm not an expert
officially, they don't set the rules by which property is appraised, but it doesn't really seem like there are a lot of checks in place to make sure everything's above-board in actually following those rules
e.g. one of the corruption examples I linked to in passing was the assessor for L.A. County lowering property values in exchange for bribes:

quote:

Prosecutors allege that Noguez took $185,000 in bribes from a tax consultant and, in exchange, his office would reduce property valuations for the tax agent's clients.
that guy got caught, obviously, but still

general statement of agreement with the eurogoons saying that this position should be decided via sortition
it seems like the assumption is that, since it's an elected position, if they were corrupt or did a bad job, they wouldn't be elected again, but I don't think anybody actually believes that

Nikita Khrushchev posted:

haha wow. if you need any help figuring out where to send this stuff, i know a lot of media people who would love to follow up on this kind of thing. (i promise i'm not phong la)
hmu

I don't know enough to know for sure how much is actually here and you guys are making it sound dangerous but I'll do it 'cause I'm not a bitchhhh

uh but the East Bay Times is on Phong's endorsements list, and the SF Chronicle... I know nothing to their discredit, per se, but during my research on the rest of the ballot I remember noticing that their ballot recommendations pretty much matched the democratic party line across the board, even where progressives tended to break away, which is not my favorite impression when Ted Lieu is on the mysterious donor list
who can be trusted if it goes all the way up to Ted Lieu??? :tinfoil:

watch me end up going to loving infowars lol

Feranon posted:

4 plus 1 equals 5

a pentagram has five points

its satan op

w/r/t the firefighters, I got a PM, which I assume the sender sent privately in order to remain anonymous, but the gist was that the firefighter's union is extremely strong and a huge influencer in, and beneficiary of, california's democratic party
can neither confirm nor deny at this time
the sender expressed surprise that I didn't know this, which...
to be clear, it's weird for me to be the guy on this, because I'm not normally a conspiracy guy, like at all. I'm wayyy more scully than mulder. I try to be a critical observer, but I don't see the problems of the world in terms of, like, secret strings being pulled, I just see weak people of low moral fiber taking advantage of broken systems and mass apathy, in an asylum that nobody's really running. that there would be connections between a public service labor union and a major political party is sketchy, but not what would ordinarily be, to me, a meaningful data point worth investigating, so much as yet more evidence of an inevitable emergent tendency arising from tribes of people acting for their own best interests within a system that allows unchecked entanglement of democracy and capital

all of which is just to say,
I'm only here because I happened to notice it, in the course of trying to be a responsible voter. the sheer volume of the donations was just so unusual, and the 41 poo poo gave it wings. I mean, how can anyone's mind not go to a weird place when they see that? one of the 41 donors is a judge ffs

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

your dad's probably right

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I bet you could get this posted on Berkeleyside.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
Phong La is 41 years old too. Maybe he had a super awesome speech somewhere that ended with "I want all of you to donate whatever you can + my age in dollars"

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
There was one organization that decided to funnel a lot of money into the campaign. Since contribution amounts are limited, part of the calculation as how to split a large sum between all these groups. They just divided it evenly and the result was 41 or 141. Then all the donors orgs had other donations thrown in, from another source, or following another algorithm that rounded off to 100

Bing, bong. So simple!

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

tbh i hated the second guy as soon as he said he was a small business owner

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

this thread is amazing. holy poo poo good job cubone

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

you convinced me, it's definitely those perfidious Masons

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Is it too late to stand in opposition? Release all this weirdness and coast to a cushy job where everyone hates you but also bribes you?

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is it too late to stand in opposition? Release all this weirdness and coast to a cushy job where everyone hates you but also bribes you?

Gotta get those sweet, sweet Fire Men endorsements tho

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The virgin incumbent vs the Chad real estate assessor.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

cubone how can your mom compliment you on anything when shes dead? :rip:

haw haw ur moms DEAD

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

:laffo: at this entire thread, what a place to find a criminal and/or Masonic conspiracy

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)
I can’t be arsed to look this up, but can’t fundraised money be rolled over into a future race? could this just be a ploy for name ID and then using funds in the future for the intended office? I dunno what 41 means though.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Cubone posted:

uh but the East Bay Times is on Phong's endorsements list, and the SF Chronicle... I know nothing to their discredit, per se, but during my research on the rest of the ballot I remember noticing that their ballot recommendations pretty much matched the democratic party line across the board, even where progressives tended to break away, which is not my favorite impression when Ted Lieu is on the mysterious donor list
who can be trusted if it goes all the way up to Ted Lieu??? :tinfoil:

You gotta go to somebody in the press though, even if there's a mundane reason for the 41 thing the amount of the donations should raise some eyebrows

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Good luck and stay vigilant.

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)
per fppc rules:

http://www.fppc.ca.gov/content/dam/fppc/NS-Documents/TAD/Campaign%20Documents/Campaign%20FAQs.pdf

so maybe he’s tryna pivot these funds into a future campaign and just wants to keep his name id fresh.

re: 41, 9 is a lucky number, maybe the round number (i.e. $250) is donated in his name but $9 are given to some good luck charity prior to ending in the campaign.

I am grasping at straws here.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Pictured: Hit squad soon to be coming after the OP

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Does 41 sound similar to something relevant in Vietnamese, maybe?

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Ripoff posted:

Pictured: Hit squad soon to be coming after the OP

can come after me anytime

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

animist posted:

can come after me anytime

well they ain't making you come first that's for sure

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

The 41 is clearly a warning to anyone stupid enough to get “in too deep” into La’s business.

This is gonna happen, except it’ll be Cubone and the Bay Bridge:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=emGri7i8Y2Y&t=01m37s

The Atomic Man-Boy has issued a correction as of 14:32 on Oct 29, 2018

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Is it possible that the 41 is the result of a credit card processor or ActBlue or something taking a flat fee

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Nikita Khrushchev posted:

Is it possible that the 41 is the result of a credit card processor or ActBlue or something taking a flat fee

From ActBlue FAQ:
"There is a 3.95% processing fee associated with your account, which covers the cost of getting contribution from the donor's credit card to your campaign."

If it was a fee of sorts, wouldn't that mean that ALL the other donations of straight round numbers mean that those donor would've actually donated $1.009 etc. etc.
Unless those people all donated with cheques or something. So maybe the answer is that all the people that donated with credit card in increments of $50 ended up being the weird $41's.

Edit: No wait, that wouldn't work either. I'm being stupid. Ignore that. I'm going with a tax based Eyes Wide Shut sex cult. Fidelio Arizona.

iSimian has issued a correction as of 16:47 on Oct 29, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, y'all anonymously tipped local newspapers about this yet?

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
What do all the 41 donations sum to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Forty-one can be spoonerised to "warty fun" which is clearly a reference to either toad-licking or venereal disease.

• Locked thread