Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Just run already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Darth Walrus posted:

So, y'all anonymously tipped local newspapers about this yet?

i did pass this to my friend who works for Samantha Bee.

It made sense at 2 am

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I just discovered this thread, and I'm not at all sure what I expected, but those expectations were vastly exceeded. :stare:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
unintentionally or not, this conspiracy has revealed to me the existence of bar 41 in Oakland. it looks like a decent place that I should check out

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

marmot25 posted:

unintentionally or not, this conspiracy has revealed to me the existence of bar 41 in Oakland. it looks like a decent place that I should check out

this is just a marketing stunt isn't it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Victory Position posted:

okay I've got to know more about this, these firefighters have like 2+ hour commutes to the Bay Area already

the bay area is one of the last bastions of large scale organized crime, it's just instead of running street prostitutes and extracting rents from business owners, it's all about getting blackmail on people and maybe occasionally assassinating someone

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:tinfoil:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

it's a big loving inside joke about getting hammered!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Victory Position posted:

okay I've got to know more about this, these firefighters have like 2+ hour commutes to the Bay Area already

https://www.gq.com/story/san-francisco-is-burning

i dont think the firefights are involved with the arsons but its the only mental connection i could make between the firefighters and the assessor's office until someone posted the stuff about the unions

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

yea, firefighters equal a union which comes with a pension. pension boards loving love real estate, especially mini-malls and poo poo.

whoever controls that pension fund is pro phong, anti-jim and frankly, a bad american. great guy to have on a pension board though.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

the bay area is one of the last bastions of large scale organized crime, it's just instead of running street prostitutes and extracting rents from business owners, it's all about getting blackmail on people and maybe occasionally assassinating someone

wasn't there something about this crime ring and the construction of Little Saigon over in San Jose? this is ringing a very faint bell for some reason

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
When this thread hits 41 pages you’re going to see some serious poo poo

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Woof Blitzer posted:

When this thread hits 41 pages you’re going to see some serious poo poo

Cu James Bone, 41, found dead outside his home, after a tragic gasoline can accident

firefighters were on the scene in minutes, but were unable to save him

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

he wants to audit Tesla? Maybe it's the big three funding him

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lol this thread rules

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
I hope someone notified the county comptroller and local constabulary?

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

I'm not sure how much IT experience you'll need to be a county assessor, but seems a bit douchy to just add qualifications one can do, but is maybe not needed.

Jim Johnsen
- Can skin a deer calf in under 20 minutes

Phon La
- No reported deer calf skinning experience

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Darth Walrus posted:

So, y'all anonymously tipped local newspapers about this yet?
personally I wanted to try to organize the information more clearly before I did so I wouldn't look like a crazy person (they probably get a lot of crazy people?) but I have midterms this week so I haven't had time. I guess I better get on it though considering the election is a week away lol

Rustybear posted:

What do all the 41 donations sum to?
I haven't done the math on that
the totals were easy because the paper submissions total the sums-to-date, and even keep loans separate, so it's just a matter of taking the latest one and adding any subsequent e-filings
but for individual donations, I'd have to go through them one-by-one and cross-check the e-filings against the paper donations– some of the donors made multiple donations of the same amount, which I can tell because they were made on different dates, but when there's two entries of the same amount by the same donor on the same date, one by paper and one by e-filing, it's hard to tell if it's actually two donations or if it's just the same one reported twice. I think I'd have to check it against the difference between the total and the sum of all the other donations?

the database website said you can download them all in an excel file, but I just got a garbled row of variable names
if anybody knows more about spreadsheets and wants to see if maybe I'm missing something simple, or you also have a brain problem and want to do the math yourself (or check my work; I repeat that I am not an expert), you can get to the same information I did by going to acvote.org, opening the candidates menu, clicking campaign finance, then "get started now" under the public access portal, then putting the candidates' names in "search by name". I'd just post a link, but the session urls expire or something idk

also, this is dumb, but there's at least one donation ending in 82, which... does that count? was that a coincidence, or did they donate *41 twice? if they did it three times it'd end in 23. I have alerted jim carrey just in case

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Cum 41

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

are they zombie donations, like that 'save walter' scheme from breaking bad?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
well
I've reached out to a scattershot of news tiplines, including local papers, college papers, and the local fox, nbc, cbs, and abc affiliates
here's hoping that this will get picked up by somebody who actually knows what they're doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjvTXdSkIts

I don't think anything else funny is going to happen, but thanks for being cool in my thread, everybody

Cubone
May 26, 2011

oh also

I passed this by a friend, and he mentioned the $41 might have been one of those deals where you attend a fundraiser dinner, and they add the cost per plate to your donation
which kind of made me feel like a dope, because it sounds extremely plausible
but I don't think it holds water, because the donations were made on too many disparate dates. still, figured I'd mention it. :shrug:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Cubone posted:

oh also

I passed this by a friend, and he mentioned the $41 might have been one of those deals where you attend a fundraiser dinner, and they add the cost per plate to your donation
which kind of made me feel like a dope, because it sounds extremely plausible
but I don't think it holds water, because the donations were made on too many disparate dates. still, figured I'd mention it. :shrug:

Fake news, 41 is an ancient sign of the Freemasons (Illuminati).

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Irrespective, please post the results here. Good thread.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cubone posted:

well
I've reached out to a scattershot of news tiplines, including local papers, college papers, and the local fox, nbc, cbs, and abc affiliates
here's hoping that this will get picked up by somebody who actually knows what they're doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjvTXdSkIts

I don't think anything else funny is going to happen, but thanks for being cool in my thread, everybody

rip cubone, soon to be murdered

we will remember you as a key Something Awful Investigative Journalist, which is a list that has a surprisingly increasingly nonzero number of names on it

:patriot:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This seems sort of related?

https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/1058116791170416641

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

no thats just the continued privatization of our schools

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
ah. Thats more money than was spent in the UK 2017 general election lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

yeah america owns

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jose posted:

lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

this is one I think people know about if they're paying attention but yeah same basic deal

Thurmond is such a stereotype and he doesn't even know it
these guys who spend their entire lives playing by the rules and working within the system, and they tell us that "I know things are bad... but we've gotten some of the reasons it got bad out of the way! and I know we can weather this storm if we keep this ship sailing in the right direction! I can't promise miracles, but I know we can't afford to give in to these foolish temptations to make things worse, and I trust you all are smart enough to see that. just, please: let me be the level-headed captain who'll faithfully stay at the helm, and I promise that I'll never falter"
and it's not that people don't believe him, it's that they're running out of patience for the somber, plodding march of incremental improvement that he represents
and then spuds diamondback, recently retired ceo of the "sink the entire loving ship and sell it for scrap" company gets helicoptered in and he's like "hibbity dibbity zow!!!! this ship is all hosed up!!!!!!!!! remember it wasn't?? we should break pieces off of it to build a life raft just for me and you!!!! YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND!!!!!!!" and then I'm like "oh my god.... people are going to vote for this guy poo poo. oh crap oh gently caress oh no" and th earth keeps turning

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah america owns
lol

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jose posted:

Did that include an administrator of public instruction? I didn’t think so.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jose posted:

pussy assed empire

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

im pretty sure i left the jim "jimmy" johnson vs phong "leland yee" la race on my ballot blank because i couldnt figure out a single difference between them. if only i had dug deeper or found this thread.

i wish your continued assessing of this race the best op

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

I APPROPRIATE THE PLIGHT OF OTHER RACES TO FILL THE VOID OF BEING A FAT USELESS FUCK
Just a heads up for anyone who doesn't live in CA, the Assessor is actually a pretty powerful position for one reason (which was glossed on a little bit here):

They have the ability to decide your property taxes based on the market reduction in your real estate value.

Ok, :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: time.

Why is this a big deal? Especially in CA? Oh, well there's this interesting Proposition that's been popping up:
https://la.curbed.com/2018/10/18/17851036/proposition-10-california-election-costa-hawkins

quote:

Proposition 10 would give cities the ability to expand rent control, including potentially to more buildings. It would do that by repealing the Costa Hawkins Rental Housing Act, a state law that limits how cities can apply rent control.

What does this have to do with the Assessor and market reduction? The previous law allowed you to raise rent based on "fair market value", meaning if enough people next to you raised it you could, too. This led to basically a silent price fixing scheme, and no joke, actual algorithms built to decide how much your lease would cost updated daily. Alameda county in particular has insane rent costs. Going a bit further, an Assessor is the person you go to to lower your property taxes, say if you've suddenly lost potential income because of a popular Prop that's likely going to win.

Here's another interesting tidbit on why real estate may be heavily invested in this race:
http://sonomacounty.ca.gov/_templates_portal/Service.aspx?id=2147534591

quote:

Proposition 8
The law established by Proposition 8 allows the County Assessor to reduce your property taxes by enrolling a value on the Tax Roll that reflects a temporary reduction in taxable value for your property (see California's Revenue and Taxation Code, Section 51). Once reduced in this way, your property's value must be reviewed on January 1 each following year to determine whether its current market value is still less than its current adjusted base year value. When its market value increases above its adjusted base year value, the Assessor will once again enroll its adjusted base year value. Prop 8, values can change from year to year as the market fluctuates up and down, but under no circumstances does the Assessor assess your property at a value greater than it's adjusted base year value.

Imagine you're a real estate group and you know that there's a massive housing bubble forming. You're going to want a friendly Assessor who will assess your property a the lowest possible rate. There is no question the housing market here is in trouble. With the new Rent Control Prop and the bubble looking to burst, they want a guy with little experience who they can push around and basically bribe to save a ton of money after screwing over homeowners and tenants for decades.

Oh and just a heads up, if you're an individual homeowner, good look getting the Assessor to come out and value your property before tax season. But you're a group of real estate/property owners who gave a bunch of money to the candidate? What day works best for you?

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
if I was in a position to do so I'd definitely donate large amounts of money to a candidate who promised to audit tesla, but i don't think this position is capable of such an act

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Cubone posted:

this is one I think people know about if they're paying attention but yeah same basic deal

Thurmond is such a stereotype and he doesn't even know it
these guys who spend their entire lives playing by the rules and working within the system, and they tell us that "I know things are bad... but we've gotten some of the reasons it got bad out of the way! and I know we can weather this storm if we keep this ship sailing in the right direction! I can't promise miracles, but I know we can't afford to give in to these foolish temptations to make things worse, and I trust you all are smart enough to see that. just, please: let me be the level-headed captain who'll faithfully stay at the helm, and I promise that I'll never falter"
and it's not that people don't believe him, it's that they're running out of patience for the somber, plodding march of incremental improvement that he represents
and then spuds diamondback, recently retired ceo of the "sink the entire loving ship and sell it for scrap" company gets helicoptered in and he's like "hibbity dibbity zow!!!! this ship is all hosed up!!!!!!!!! remember it wasn't?? we should break pieces off of it to build a life raft just for me and you!!!! YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND!!!!!!!" and then I'm like "oh my god.... people are going to vote for this guy poo poo. oh crap oh gently caress oh no" and th earth keeps turning

lol

This should probably be the first page of a high school textbook, except with illustrations so that America's future voters will be able to internalize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah america owns

im starting to wonder if any money in america actually goes to something productive or if the entire country is now a scam

• Locked thread