Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

benzine posted:

Goons, any idea why this season is only 8 episodes long?

Netflix had to scrap three episodes that had already been completed and it wasn't willing to substantially increase the budget to replace them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well then you probably should check out the British version of House Of Cards with Michael Caine, since at least season 1 of the US version is just that story line retold.

The Ian Richardson one? That was excellent if feeling a little dated and obviously lower budget. It certainly benefits from not being drawn out, even if the other supporting characters (particularly his wife) are barely fleshed out at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I still think this season should have been a crossover with Veep where Claire runs against Selena Meyer and Doug Stamper faces off against Tony Hale

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I had written a whole big things about House of Cards being basically a show about the Clintons where every single conspiracy theory and scandal is real but I got distracted by them topping "Vice President Wife" even more:

All female cabinet, which is complete pandering to stay in office at best and loving sudden feminist motivations from Claire is a new low. It's also a horrible idea, that's not going to get the female populace unified against her (misogyny means many will find this insulting) because this is just ridiculous. The optics, plausibility, and all of it would backfire. I can understand focusing on women being a new subject due to Kevin Spacey's assault falling under the #MeToo umbrella, but they've awkwardly had it mentioned at various points but not as tonedeaf as this true high point. Claire was already becoming the dominant force and focus of the show, and it's a shame the quality performance is framed around what I'd rate as .6 Dexter Finale Cringe (DFC) units.

I'm enjoying this a great deal for all the wrong reasons.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Had this on in the background yesterday while unpacking from a house move. By no means 'great' (or even perhaps 'good') but definitely the most interesting the show has been since season 2.

Not sure if it was the result of a hasty re-write, but I thought the relatively simple focus on the Claire vs The Shepherds dynamic gave the show decent enough antagonists for Claire to butt heads against. Doug Stamper stuff was all pretty poor, and certainly could have done without all the stuff right at the end.

Nowhere near as good as the show used to be, nowhere near as bad as it has been at other times.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Sooo, did they even know what they were doing with the speaking-to-audience poo poo at the end or not?
Spoilered discussion on the same:

gently caress me for thinking this would do something, I guess. We start off with Claire discussing with the audience in a much more frank (heh heh) way. Then right before the end of the season, we have some weirdness. Doug seems to gain the ear of the audience, and at the same time he does, we see Claire wake with a start. It's then (IIRC, I kinda dozed off) not mentioned til the last scene, where Claire addresses us again after killing Doug. Are we meant to infer something from this?

It's one part of my largest frustration with the show, in that so much of the execution of the show remains superb, but at other times I can't tell if they're trying to express something or whether it's a Fincher cargo cult.
For instance you can usually take a beat and reflect on why a particular colour grade is being used in a film/good show. But here? Sometimes it seems on-point, other times ........... why is this scene vomit green?
Why has everything gone seemingly freeze-frame?

I assume incompetence, because there's a few shots in the oval that have missed focus, and there's a few shot, counter-shot scenes where the ADR doesn't match the character talking with their back to the camera at all.
I suppose the latter might be a cheap way to 'reshoot' but it's way too obvious and could be covered another way.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Halfway through the first episode it's pretty bad. I guess Greg Kinnear is gonna be Claire's anagonist. I woulda gone with the Putin stand-in rather than someone new.

LinkesAuge posted:

Funny that you mention Dexter, was about to ask the thread if this shows has been the one with the biggest decline from start to finish since Dexter. I haven't watched this season (and won't) but sounds like it might even "top" Dexter?

There's no loving way. I haven't watched the season but Dexter got mid-day soap opera bad.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Jerusalem posted:

The Ian Richardson one? That was excellent if feeling a little dated and obviously lower budget. It certainly benefits from not being drawn out, even if the other supporting characters (particularly his wife) are barely fleshed out at all.

Yea that one, I liked it although I only watched the first part of it... Not sure why I got the actor mixed up but oh well :(

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Watching these last few episodes, someone should really do a political comedy that mixes House of Cards and The Office.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

clown shoes posted:

Watching these last few episodes, someone should really do a political comedy that mixes House of Cards and The Office.

You're pretty much describing The Thick of It.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Timby posted:

You're pretty much describing The Thick of It.

Is that with Alan Thicke?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

clown shoes posted:

Is that with Alan Thicke?

With Doctor Who , actually

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
So what you guys are saying is that a show called House of Cards DIDN'T end with all the protagonist's lies, schemes and manipulations collapsing all around them? What a waste of 6 years of build up.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

feedmegin posted:

With Doctor Who , actually

Even better. I love Jodie Whittaker!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Halfway through the first episode of S6 and this show is tripping over itself to apologize for ever having had anything to do with Frank Underwood/Kevin Spacey.

It's such blatant pandering and dumb retconning. They should have just picked up 6 months later, mentioned him in passing, and moved on.

Senjuro posted:

So what you guys are saying is that a show called House of Cards DIDN'T end with all the protagonist's lies, schemes and manipulations collapsing all around them? What a waste of 6 years of build up.

They threw that all away in season 3.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Can we change the thread title to: weaponized feminism?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

can't really buy kinnear as anything other than a feckless shitlib, but this season was a serious uptick in quality.

weaponized intersectionality would have been a better choice of words than feminism, but I can't blame them for using a more familiar term.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

clown shoes posted:

It's called Veep

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

why did this show introduce two rando mercer proxies in the final season and then assume the audience would care about them

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

do you guys remember when beau willimon, who worked for hillary clinton's senate campaign, wrote himself into the show as pseudo-hillary clinton's lover?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I haven't watched this last season and aren't likely to, but did they seriously just completely drop Tom Hammerschmidt from the show?

I know they had to get rid of Frank as quickly as possible, but it does suck that Zoe Barnes didn't eventually, posthumously bring down the Underwoods.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't watched this last season and aren't likely to, but did they seriously just completely drop Tom Hammerschmidt from the show?

Tom Hammerschmidt appears, although his story goes nowhere.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

QuoProQuid posted:

why did this show introduce two rando mercer proxies in the final season and then assume the audience would care about them

They way they acted in episode 1 honestly felt like I accidentally started watching episode 3. Almost definitely another casualty of the rewrites, originally we may have gotten to know them slowly from Frank's eyes but instead we're just told "these two are important, don't ask questions, just shut up and watch." It's been said before about how cartoonishly dumb/evil some of the people got over the course of the show but hoo boy the Shepherds went from zero to mustache twirling with zero runway space.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
At least Freddy got out of the show when it was still good

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

Halfway through the first episode of S6 and this show is tripping over itself to apologize for ever having had anything to do with Frank Underwood/Kevin Spacey.

It's such blatant pandering and dumb retconning. They should have just picked up 6 months later, mentioned him in passing, and moved on.

Yep, and it's a shame because Frank Underwood was a villain who is naturally a character people can hate because of his actions and public persona both being utter poo poo. Unless I'm mistaken, the events with Kevin Spacey were not known or widely known to people in production and they dropped him 12 hours after claims were made - I get wanting to frame modern issues still in the choice, assault and the role of women being one of them, but these are not the writers to trust being subtle with introducing new themes or even that skilled at preserving original concepts from decay.

Claire bringing up that the soldier may not have questioned her ability to lead were she a man? Not a bad question, but she could have brought up her experience in commanding the ICO situation, dealing with negotiations with other regional powers like Petrov, her belief in the sexual assault issue stemming from protection of the troops and not the attack of an outsider - anything to give it some substance. Writer's had to rush, so I suppose parts being phoned in are okay...

So many other ways to challenge Claire's public push as a feminist figure (or even legitimate reawakening of actual beliefs) that would have had the classic research, blackmail, counter-move, placement of one more piece of the house of cards she built with Frank and must try to now have collapse on her as it did Francis:

• Gillian Cole, just to start out with the atomic bomb of attack ammo - the woman she recruits during desperation for insurance that will cover her chronic illness treatment , fires for not complying with corrupt practices to instead doing the charitable project, and denies the ability to file/pursue a wrongful termination suit by wielding her pregnancy against her being "willing to let your child wither and die inside you if that's what's required".
  • Evelyn Baxter, an older woman Claire chooses for the downsizing knowing full well her age and skill set means she's going to have no shot in the job market. Last we see her, a cup of Starbucks is a rare luxury for her.
  • Linda Vasquez, now that over four years have passed and her son has no doubt earned his degree, could collaborate that she was shown 'the carrot and the stick' awaiting her son and safely make public what she did. Francis made the first and only woman to be Chief of Staff resign out of fear for her children, and only because she would not submit to his utter dominance of the administration. Appointing her to the cabinet under threat that "if he told you or not, I'm getting a seat at the table" or whatever could have been neat.
  • Catherine Durant just, you know, there's not a lot of place to go up when the bar's been set at the bottom of the stairs.
  • A few more but characters introduced later are a bit less strong than early season ones that have been non-maligned until now.

Oh well, we did not get hypocrisy of a villainous character and instead got some good cringe lines that I wouldn't question if President Hale were a man.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Freddy's is namedropped in the last season.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jfood posted:

weaponized intersectionality

Boy howdy that sure sounds like the show we all signed up for

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I gave up after the pre-credit sequence

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I binged through this entire season. Had no idea it was coming out, it just showed up on Netflix. In general I didn't think that the show was "good" or "great" but it was "entertaining" as in it passed the time and I didn't hate myself for watching it, unlike say The Walking Dead.

There was one thing I didn't understand about the timeline (season spoilers):

So the season starts with Claire already having been president for 100+ days, as she mentions in her speech on the military base. From this speech it was my understanding that Frank had also been dead for around that long since Claire said something about the last 100 days being difficult. Presumably now in the present time she is done publicly grieving and is leading the nation as President.

In the middle of the season with the 25th Amendment subplot, one of the public reasons they used for invoking the 25th is that Claire has been hiding in her residence for over a month now. During this time was when the VP walked into Claire's residence where she was still crying and her face covered in makeup from crying, but we all know it was fake.

What I don't understand is why did she just seemingly randomly decide to disappear from public view to mourn some more? When the season started she was presenting herself of sound mind and giving public speeches to troops and whatever. Then Not-Putin showed up and I'm not sure what that whole plot was to be honest, but he showed up, and then Claire decided to present herself as a widow still in mourning, disappearing from public view, leading to Not-FemaleAlexJones to call her incapable of leading because she's been hiding away for 20+ days now.

Did I completely miss something or did it just happen like I described we're just suppose to accept it happened?

Cause for a few minutes here I actually thought that the part where she disappeared from the public was taking place in the past, shortly after Frank died, which would have made everything make sense, but I'm 99.999% sure that it happened in current time.

Another question, what's the deal with the Vice President? I thought that he was the Not-SteveBannon guy from the previous season but he got promoted to VP?

Another thought I had throughout this season was that the cast was really bland and lacking. They tried to make the VP a bigger character than he was, but every single scene he's in was just so god drat sleep inducing. I think it was a combination of his character's demeanor (seriously he was like half asleep and passive the entire season), and me not giving a poo poo about the Shepards. I mean, why do I even care that Mr. Shepard has cancer and is possibly dying? Who cares about him? Seth was really weird in this season too. His entire character just gave off a "I don't give a poo poo about this show anymore just let me read my lines and call it a day" feeling and every scene he was in was so bad. I vaguely remember he was actually a pretty competent person on the level of Doug in the previous seasons so I have no idea what happened to him.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 4, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

There was one thing I didn't understand about the timeline (season spoilers):
She faked an emotional breakdown in order to draw people into attacking her, giving her reason to fire the cabinet as well as making sure it was loaded with people who wouldn't be going after her.
In HoC land, the public are perfect rational actors who always do what the plan needs. Never would they think back to just one month ago to remember the crisis in action.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I've been uninterested in this show since season 4. Last season made me truly not give a poo poo. However, my wife want yet at the same place I was. We finished season 6 last night and we're both at the same level of understanding: it sucked.

Save your time and read a two second synopsis (that's how long it should be considering how little happened). The show started off great and it's interesting to see how far it has fallen.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The real house of cards was the show itself.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:lol: Episode 7 they're having a board room meeting to discuss the pros and cons of assassination with like 10 people in the room and talking about how it'll affect the GDP these writers are dumb as hell

Unfortunately this wasn't the trainwreck I was hoping for. A little better than Season 4 even.

Still garbage.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wildtortilla posted:

I've been uninterested in this show since season 4.

Am I the only one who couldn't stand the show starting in season 3, when the Underwoods had lobotomies and it stopped being a show about ruthless unchecked power and manipulation and started to be a show about a sad sack that couldn't pass a jobs bill, win a reelection, or tell not Putin to gently caress himself?

I had to drag myself through that season. The brilliant amoral cons of the first two seasons were what made the show interesting. It's all been melodramatic bullshit since.

Wildtortilla posted:

Save your time and read a two second synopsis (that's how long it should be considering how little happened). The show started off great and it's interesting to see how far it has fallen.

The show ended when Frank knocked on the desk. Period.

Pretend nothing else ever came out and it's a great show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Senjuro posted:

Yeah I didn't find the last episode to be that bad compared to the rest. THIS is the real travesty.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think what makes the first 2 seasons great is that they're fairly universal in theme, deliberately evoking a kind of modern Shakespeare. Then the show just kept adding more and more actual specific politics, culminating in the actual band Pussy Riot telling an obvious Putin analogue to piss off. That was a time the specificity worked, but then you had things like Frank's Civil War Adventure which were just lol

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Sinteres posted:

The real house of cards was the show itself.
I saw the final season as Claire needing to carefully dismantle the House of Cards Frank built, with the real threat of it all falling down if she didn't do it perfectly. The series ends once the House of Cards is destroyed.
Not that they nailed this at all, but the theme was attempted.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

I saw the final season as Claire needing to carefully dismantle the House of Cards Frank built, with the real threat of it all falling down if she didn't do it perfectly. The series ends once the House of Cards is destroyed.
Not that they nailed this at all, but the theme was attempted.

We're gonna get busted for all the murders and treasons we did to get power. If I want to keep power, I'm gonna have to do a bunch of murders and treasons to cover up those murders and treasons.

*kills a bunch of people and treasons a bunch*

At last, no one will ever find out about those first murders and treasons. Truly I've dismantled the House of Cards.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I loved it when Claire introduced the all-female cabinet. Not too many good moments this season. The writing was so bad, and the fourth wall breaks were not as good as when Frank did them. The finale was underwhelming. Glad the show is over at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

We're gonna get busted for all the murders and treasons we did to get power. If I want to keep power, I'm gonna have to do a bunch of murders and treasons to cover up those murders and treasons.

*kills a bunch of people and treasons a bunch*

At last, no one will ever find out about those first murders and treasons. Truly I've dismantled the House of Cards.

Oh sure they didn't nail it at all, but in the context of the show they sealed every loose end. There's only one journalist see.