Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
i feel like this is just a new story, and also probably played up the ending stuff for a Halloween release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Larryb posted:

So for those who have completed it, is this a full game or just a preview of something else to come? Also, any direct references to the original outside a few returning characters or does it seem more like an alternate universe story rather than a direct sequel (I don't mind spoilers)?

Feels like a full first chapter. I got the vibe that toby might be releasing this episodically? Who knows really...

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I really hope this game doesn’t do meta narrative like undertale did. I think he played that out fully and he should tell a different kind of story this time. He shouldn’t write himself into a corner as “the meta narrative guy”

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Snake Maze posted:

I'd say it's probably already too late for that considering the intro, and the way the game is already drawing a distinction between Kris and [YOUR NAME HERE]

I do think Toby could make a great story that doesn't break the fourth wall or do anything crazy, but it would be weird for the undertale thing featuring the characters from undertale to just drop all the meta stuff, imo.

the intro stuff is all immediately discarded tho with the “you don’t get to choose who you are” and throwing away your created character.

I’m not saying drop everything meta, but I’d be disappointed if it was this whole frisk/chara meta narrative the way undertale was.

“Less” meta I suppose is what I’m asking for. As good as that was, rehashing old success usually makes for a mediocre followup.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

iospace posted:

I think Asriel is dead. Everyone sort of dances around the issue in a way that implies it, to me anyway.

That, or he's trapped in the new-underground area. It's more likely something happened that caused him to run away, and it's convenient to say he's "in college". I'm going with he's alive, but gone after thinking about it some more.

i didnt get that vibe at all. To me there was a sort of FLCL vibe of Asriel being your older brother that was super popular and everybody loved then he went to America university and now everyone tries to treat you as his less cool replacement instead of your own person. The last part is definitely more an FLCL thing than something I noticed from deltarune but either way Asriel being dead feels like a weird stretch.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well, he did say to wait 24 hours before discussing the game.

Oh no, he’s gonna use a tracker bot in each download to ban everyone who discusses this from playing chapter 2!

I’m sorry Toby!!!

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
The worst thing Toby Fox could do is give Lancer a walk cycle in the finished game.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Gruckles posted:

What if he put legs on his bike.

I...

Acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I’m gonna laugh if Toby comes out and says “Gaster existed as foreshadowing to Deltarune and after seeing fans attribute way too much to him, I had to remove him from the finished game so that people wouldn’t make him the center of it.”

Toby’d probably never outright say something like that, but the thought of it tickles me.