Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Lumbermouth posted:

Do y'all take your cars apart to prime them, even without stripping the paint? I'm doing my first batch of spray primes and having to do multiple coats to get the paint in all the nooks and crannies of my cars.
It's easier, yeah. The cars usually come in 3 (or 4 if there's a windshield) parts: a metal (or plastic) body, a plastic (or metal) wheel base, and a plastic interior. I'll usually glue the interior to the wheel base but prime the body and wheel base/interior separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Lumbermouth posted:

Do y'all take your cars apart to prime them, even without stripping the paint? I'm doing my first batch of spray primes and having to do multiple coats to get the paint in all the nooks and crannies of my cars.

I have the good sense to live in a frozen wasteland and use brush-on primer out of necessity 3/4 of the year like God intended. :smug:

Honestly, it works really well for these cars though.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Did my first round of successful priming today, including this Buzzard Beetle! Hoping that all this q-tip plastic stays still when I paint it for real.

Lumbermouth fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 19, 2018

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Time Extended 3 is out for Gaslands Supporters (i.e. support continued development via Patreon). Cool new stuff:

• A bunch of new vehicle types, including drag racers, ambulances, and ice cream trucks.
  • New Sponsor and Perks: highway patrol!
  • Couple of game types.
  • Errata and fixes for some stuff.

Generally kinda neat stuff.

Also, realizing more and more that the public Facebook group is kinda frustrating, because there’s an annoying seller who is a prolific recaster. Glad that traditional forums are still a thing, because they’re much less frustrating to deal with.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Hedningen posted:

• A bunch of new vehicle types, including drag racers, ambulances, and ice cream trucks.

Super excited to see this when it becomes public. I feel this is one of the only points I've found lacking in my early play. I'm hoping for the cab of a semi without the rest of the war rig, myself.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Magnetic North posted:

Super excited to see this when it becomes public. I feel this is one of the only points I've found lacking in my early play. I'm hoping for the cab of a semi without the rest of the war rig, myself.

I think that the Heavy Truck (publicly posted for the Truckasaurus contest) is meant to cover that.

Vehicles are drag racer, bike with sidecar, ice cream truck, jeep, ambulance, motorhome, heavy truck, and APC. There are some fun options available - APC makes the crew fired weapons from TX2 really terrifying.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Hedningen posted:

I think that the Heavy Truck (publicly posted for the Truckasaurus contest) is meant to cover that.

Ooh, that is more what I was looking for. Heavy weight, lots of slots, lots of hull, though I am afraid I'd miss the handling and gear of the Monster Truck though. Basically I want to make Dollface from Twisted Metal Black.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Hedningen posted:

Time Extended 3 is out for Gaslands Supporters (i.e. support continued development via Patreon). Cool new stuff:

• New Sponsor and Perks: highway patrol!
  • Couple of game types.
  • Errata and fixes for some stuff.

Generally kinda neat stuff.

Also, realizing more and more that the public Facebook group is kinda frustrating, because there’s an annoying seller who is a prolific recaster. Glad that traditional forums are still a thing, because they’re much less frustrating to deal with.

Do you speak of Ken, perhaps?

With his shipping rates I don't understand how people are willing to stick wheels on a car that cost five times or more the cost of the car. I guess some people don't have bitz boxes or interest in sourcing wheels elsewhere.

The FB group can get bothersome. The video of real car with the minigun mounted on it keeps popping up recently. I don't want to be a whiner and tell people to stop, but seriously how can you post that and not have seen one of the other half a dozen posts first?

Stupid stuff like that aside it's not a bad group and has lots of activity unlike some FB groups i have been a part of.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

Do you speak of Ken, perhaps?

With his shipping rates I don't understand how people are willing to stick wheels on a car that cost five times or more the cost of the car. I guess some people don't have bitz boxes or interest in sourcing wheels elsewhere.

The FB group can get bothersome. The video of real car with the minigun mounted on it keeps popping up recently. I don't want to be a whiner and tell people to stop, but seriously how can you post that and not have seen one of the other half a dozen posts first?

Stupid stuff like that aside it's not a bad group and has lots of activity unlike some FB groups i have been a part of.

Yup. Sent the admins clear evidence that the dude had been kicked off of other military modeling sites for recasting to supplement the callouts going on, and nothing.

It’d be a great group if not for the excessive spam.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Hedningen posted:

Yup. Sent the admins clear evidence that the dude had been kicked off of other military modeling sites for recasting to supplement the callouts going on, and nothing.

It’d be a great group if not for the excessive spam.

Luckily the FB group is good for the occasional browse or inquiry, but nowhere near essential to playing or getting anything out of the hobby.

Edit: I count 13 posters in this thread. Do we have any lurkers? I want to know for a specific reason. Thanks.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 21, 2018

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Can't a guy lurk in peace? Geez, I just wanna look at some mad max models!

The game looks neat and I'm thinking of getting some stuff together and giving it a try, until I have though I will quietly disappear back into the shadows.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm pretty interested in it but I have no one to actually play the dang game with, all my wargaming buddies are on the other side of the states now. So I'm just looking at cool mad max minis and thinking about making one or two of my own for the heck of it.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I lurk. I like the game, but don't get to play it enough since Shadespire takes a ton of my time.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
all my cars are still matte grey because im too lazy to paint them

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I lurk. Have three cars, a bunch of Ramshackle Games bikers and a set of Ramshackle resin bits that I need to stick on the aforementioned cars. Haven't gave the rules a read-through yet, largely just don't have the time to paint/model the vehicles.

One of the vehicles I think I ought to stick some tracks on to make it look a little like the Bullet Farmer's Peacemaker, another is Beetle-enough to try make it look like a Buzzard's car.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I'm lurking - played one intro game at my local club and really enjoyed it, but I've been too busy to even think about picking up another game at the moment.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I lurk. Have the book and a box of cars to be mamgled. Hoping for a pickup game at adepticon.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Less lurking more tiny cars!

Finished a truck. Not as happy with it as the car, but I'm not aiming for perfection so screw it. I think I'll drybrush a bit of black onto the tyres though, they're too solid brown.

Guns! Magnetized guns! Aaaaand I need to put a dot of black on that barrel. poo poo.

The truck has three magnet points, one on the hood, one on the roof, and one in the flatbed. The flatbed mount doesn't work great with the smaller guns - it'll be used for turrets, and I may make a little "troop carrier" style add on for it.

The car has two, one on the roof, one on the engine cover.

Next up: these bad boys.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

Do we have any lurkers? I want to know for a specific reason. Thanks.
It's just a normal manhole that totally won't attach a magnetic mine to your passing car. Honest. Nothing to see here.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Less lurking more tiny cars!

Finished a truck. Not as happy with it as the car, but I'm not aiming for perfection so screw it. I think I'll drybrush a bit of black onto the tyres though, they're too solid brown.

Guns! Magnetized guns! Aaaaand I need to put a dot of black on that barrel. poo poo.

The truck has three magnet points, one on the hood, one on the roof, and one in the flatbed. The flatbed mount doesn't work great with the smaller guns - it'll be used for turrets, and I may make a little "troop carrier" style add on for it.

The car has two, one on the roof, one on the engine cover.

That little rocket pod is amazing / adorable. What is it made out of or where did it come from?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
It's me, I'm a lurker. This game looks rad as all hell and I like the scale and it looks inexpensive but I have so much else to do so I just read and drool over awesome road warrior stuff.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Also a lurker. I'm just bummed that I've already dragged people into enough other games that we don't play, that I have no traction on this one.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
No traction can probably be sorted out by using a shift dice, hth.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Pierzak
Lumbermouth
food court bailiff
BoneMonkey
Magnetic North
Zark the Damned
Der Shovel
Doorknob Slobber
PoptartsNinja
DrHub
Gravitas Shortfall
Iron Crowned
Hedningen
Redundant
Babe Magnet
Electric Hobo
LashLightning
glitchkrieg
DiHK
Signal

You may wonder why I have gathered you here today. I have done so in order to enter you into a contest I just made up.

I make acrylic templates and skid dice. You might find nicer stuff at Litko, but you won't find them cheaper (free).

20 players makes this easy. Your place on the list above is your number on the D20.

If you feel you won't ever use the dice and templates, or already have a blinged out set up, feel free to say pass if you win and I will roll again and give another Goon a chance.

Congratulations DiHK :toot:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let's make a Gaslands Tesla! ... coil.

In hindsight, there is a Hot Wheels Tesla floating around that would've made this joke funnier.

Supplies!

- 3 plastic tubes of various sizes (you can get away with just one and some two-part epoxy putty, but I'm going for 'simple' and 'good looking')
- Very thin copper wire (costs about $4-7 American at a hardware store, useful for a lot of things)
- 1 dish sponge, any size
- x-acto knife
- pin vice w/ appropriately-sized drill bit
- something to cut the wire with (small pliers is probably best)
- glue of preference
- An appropriate vehicle and/or a vehicle you aren't sure what to do with.

Instructions
1) Cut the small-diameter tube to a length of about 1cm, cut the medium-diameter tube to a length about 2-3mm shorter, and cut the large-diameter tube to a length of about 4mm. You can adjust these sizes if you prefer taller or shorter tesla coils.

2) Glue the medium-diameter tube inside the large-diameter tube with a drop of glue. Your small-diameter tube is probably too large to fit inside the medium-diameter tube, so with a pin vice carefully drill about half-way down the medium-diameter tube.

3) In a shocking twist, we then glue the small-diameter tube inside the medium-diameter tube! If you feel it's too long, at this point you can trim the small-diameter tube to a length of your preference. You can also sand the wide 'base' down a bit if you want to make sure it fits smoothly, but I find most toy cars aren't perfectly flat so it's OK if there's a slight angle to it. We can fix anything with careful positioning.

4) Cut a small chunk out of your sponge.

5) With a hobby knife (or scissors, your preference!) trim your sponge chunk into a rough ball shape and to your preferred size.

6) Cut some lengths of copper wire. These will probably need to be longer than you think! Remember, you can always trim a piece that's too long. You can't really lengthen something that's too short!

7) Push the lengths of copper wire through your sponge ball. You'll want anywhere from 4-6, we don't want to go with too many. One of these pieces of wire is our 'anchor,' try to keep track of it.

8) Glue the anchor wire inside our hollow tube assembly!

9) With your pliers, bend and twist the lengths of wire into jagged shapes.

10) Modify the car to your preference (I replaced all the windows with mesh to emulate a Faraday Cage), then prime (with white!) and paint to your preference. I think you can figure the rest out (I'm currently priming right now, so I don't have any more steps of the process).

Huh?
Jul 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
I like the pics of peoples' cars, especially the ones with homemade weapons & parts. The casted stuff definitely looks cool, but the homemade has more appeal to me. My stuff is mostly made for the post-apocalyptic game I'm running, but I've started to finally get a chance to play a few games of Gaslands, too.

My newer cars and bikes...

A pair of scratch bikes.

Blaze, a buggy with a flamethrower

Cal, a truck specifically for my PA game. A truck with rear facing guns could be a challenge to use in Gaslands. Man, those barrels are ugly - need to find a better way to cut the brass tube.

Goldi, a performance car. Wanted to do something different with the windshield - I use a lot of meshes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I probably still have some touch-ups to do, and haven't done any clear coating yet, but I really wanted to get this done so you could see I wasn't crazy for making a tesla coil out of a chunk of sponge and some wire.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That is loving wicked!

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I lurk; gaslands hasn't caught on locally, yet (queensland, australia) but I am very fond of the idea of using cheap matchbox cars for modelling.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

xutech posted:

I lurk; gaslands hasn't caught on locally, yet (queensland, australia) but I am very fond of the idea of using cheap matchbox cars for modelling.

With how awful prices are for games and miniatures in Australia, you’d think this would be a natural fit.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I forgot that I posted in the old thread and not here. When's Overtime 3 dropping for the pauper crowd? Also, are there plans to release a physical collection of the Overtime stuff in one book?

Huh?
Jul 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

PoptartsNinja posted:

I probably still have some touch-ups to do, and haven't done any clear coating yet, but I really wanted to get this done so you could see I wasn't crazy for making a tesla coil out of a chunk of sponge and some wire.

That's :krad: Nice little WIP tutorial, too. Thanks!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's dope as all hell.

I really need to dig out my Hotwheels and do some more converting...

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Indolent Bastard posted:

With how awful prices are for games and miniatures in Australia, you’d think this would be a natural fit.

They're too busy doing Gaslands IRL

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Did some mutie smashing. (Zombies are played out so I made cute lil mutants to run over).

Highlight of the match. My opponent picks an illegal template so I pick one for him that drives him right off the edge. He doesn't explode his prison car, so no audience votes. :) Next turn, I try a sweet manver that requires a slide. Rolling 5 handling dice and then pushing it rolling 5 more I get precisely zero slides and I drive right off the edge. :(

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Got my Miyazaki crew picked out.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

TX3 is up for download! A bunch of fun new vehicle types and I like the Highway Patrol sponsor.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Is it just me or is Ice Cream Truck very undercosted? It is a car with -1 max gear for less than half the cost except a strange disadvantage. Compare that to the jeep where you are basically paying +3 points for an additional build slot, and the Bike with Sidecar is +3 points for an additional crew and build slot.

Still, I'm very happy with the additional variety.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

Is it just me or is Ice Cream Truck very undercosted? It is a car with -1 max gear for less than half the cost except a strange disadvantage. Compare that to the jeep where you are basically paying +3 points for an additional build slot, and the Bike with Sidecar is +3 points for an additional crew and build slot.

Still, I'm very happy with the additional variety.

I have to admit that all of these added sponsors, cars and weapons gives me pause. I worry it will include too much stuff that isn't tested extensively enough.

Edit: Or at all. The Dragster looks like a joke entry. It has to Nito boost every activation? Is that even usable? Other than as a suicide unit?

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Quote is not edit. :(