Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
New Hot Wheels release that is ready out of the box.

https://imgur.com/a/XBPfzv6

Also checkout Apocalypse Road by GMT if you want Gaslands the board game (sort of).
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/218948/apocalypse-road

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

That is a mighty fine rig

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Indolent Bastard posted:

New Hot Wheels release that is ready out of the box.

https://imgur.com/a/XBPfzv6

I picked up a version of that body (different paint IIRC) for that exact reason. The exposed jerrycan in the back is especially weird, but works for the setting.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

My copy of refueled is in the mail and my Mars 3 will be here on Friday and I am cised! I have my first team of all Nissan/ Datsun cars ready to be taken down and repainted. Any recs on good places for bits?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Thingiverse has a shitload of Gaslands stuff, including a ton of weapons and accessories

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I bought one of these from Etsy, and it's a nice selection of weapons and accessories (plus two cargo containers to use as obstacles) . I primed them, but haven't gotten around to painting them or gluing them to my cars yet.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/778436153/gaslands-container-full-of-guns-tires?ref=shop_home_feat_1

I also got a set of their dice, which are nice too.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
I've gotten good results with Creepy Hero Games on Etsy and I loving love everything about Kyamsil Designs except that they are in the UK so its extra shipping costs for me.

Actually, anybody have recommendations for rooftop hatches? I don't have access to a 3D printer, so either looking for a vendor who sells 'em or a good crafty substitute.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Those little plastic seals from cardboard quart/half gallon drink containers make excellent hatches.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
For Hot Wheels/Matchbox scale? Wouldn't those be too big?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Just recently got into Gaslands and I've gotta say, stripping down and customizing Hot Wheels is the hobby I've been missing my whole life.

Finished up a couple that I'm pretty proud of:

and I've started on a proper hotrod chop up:

Parts on these are from Kyamsil and North Star Figures

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Bogan Krkic posted:

Just recently got into Gaslands and I've gotta say, stripping down and customizing Hot Wheels is the hobby I've been missing my whole life.

This all look so good. Love ‘em, and keep them coming!

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I was back home seeing friends recently and got a chance to do some kitbashing and try the game out - I had never heard of it before and it was a blast. I made the mistake of doing the kitbashing before coming up with vehicle specs so I had some awkward builds, but I'm still happy. These aren't nearly up to the standards of the other stuff I've seen in this thread but I feel pretty good about 'em, considering I haven't painted a miniature in like 15 years. This ended up being a Mishkin team - the heavy truck had the lightning gun (?) and the nuclear engine, and basically wiped out, flipped, and exploded immediately. The buggy completely lost control and ended up flying off the table. So in terms of satisfying the rule of carnage, I think I did pretty good!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

Those cars are dope. I hope I can get back to playing relatively soon. Pandemic has made face to face gaming rare.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Hello, dead thread. I made my first Gaslands car today and I wanted to show it off:

Before:

After:

(Note: the before and after pics were not taken on the same mat. I have one for cutting and one for painting)

There are things I would do differently but for a first try I'm pretty pleased!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
That's neat looking!

I really should paint some cars too. I don't get to play much, but it'd be way cooler to have a converted and painted team.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Looks very good. I keep wanting to do paint my cars and put some of the upgrade sprues I got from etsy but have yet to get around to it. Playing more than I do (one game in a few years) would be more a motivator, I've been trying to get interst at my local game shop;.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Foolster41 posted:

Looks very good. I keep wanting to do paint my cars and put some of the upgrade sprues I got from etsy but have yet to get around to it. Playing more than I do (one game in a few years) would be more a motivator, I've been trying to get interst at my local game shop;.

Thanks!

I think a good way to get people interested is showing them cool mad max style little cars. That's what did it for me!

Electric Hobo posted:

That's neat looking!

I really should paint some cars too. I don't get to play much, but it'd be way cooler to have a converted and painted team.
It's really fun to convert them with trash from around the house and bits from other games (I did 3D print the gun but otherwise it's all bits and pieces from around the house). Even if I don't get to play, it'll have been worth it to make this car over the course of an evening.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm resisting 3D printing too many bits, but I'm really interested in getting some little people in some of my cars. Anyone have any good suggestions? Don't mind paying. The free options I've seen are fairly limited and/or ugly.

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

a7m2 posted:

I'm resisting 3D printing too many bits, but I'm really interested in getting some little people in some of my cars. Anyone have any good suggestions? Don't mind paying. The free options I've seen are fairly limited and/or ugly.

This person on thingiverse has a few options, this also may be what you thought was ugly

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3533920

They also have people on bikes that I’ve printed and are happy with.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

ape!!! posted:

This person on thingiverse has a few options, this also may be what you thought was ugly

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3533920

They also have people on bikes that I’ve printed and are happy with.

This one's pretty good actually, thanks! I think I'll use this for the next car but if anyone else knows of any good one's I'd love to hear it since I've got multiple cars planned where the driver is quite visible.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Not as good as my first one due to the metal plate on top not looking great but I'm still happy with it overall. I think I know how to do it better next time.

Here's the before:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think the metal plate is amazing in a “need more top strength for that mount, what’s in the shop?” sort of way

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

That's what I was going for! That's great to hear. I just thought it didn't look quite like a real metal plate. Maybe I've been staring at it for too long

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

a7m2 posted:

That's what I was going for! That's great to hear. I just thought it didn't look quite like a real metal plate. Maybe I've been staring at it for too long

It looks great and conveys the idea perfectly. Any flaws won’t read on the table when playing a game.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

With this thread popping back up I'm realizing that this game is so dang cool and it's a bummer that I probably won't ever get to play it until one of three conditions is filled:

1. I'm visiting friends back home once every year or two, or,
2. I am at GenCon and happened to sign up for an event in time, or,
3. My son is old enough that he still likes hot wheels but doesn't just want to zip them around on the floor anymore.

I would gauge interest at my FLGS but that requires time that is cannibalized by aforementioned son.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Necronomicon posted:

With this thread popping back up I'm realizing that this game is so dang cool and it's a bummer that I probably won't ever get to play it until one of three conditions is filled:

1. I'm visiting friends back home once every year or two, or,
2. I am at GenCon and happened to sign up for an event in time, or,
3. My son is old enough that he still likes hot wheels but doesn't just want to zip them around on the floor anymore.

I would gauge interest at my FLGS but that requires time that is cannibalized by aforementioned son.

I don’t know how old your son is, but going with Mom/Dad to the FLGS sounds like it could be a wonderful core memory.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Necronomicon posted:

I've got a pretty passable Roll20 version set up; there's still a little work to be done but if there's interest I could try running a session some weekend (I'm US West Coast time zone).

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

FiddlersThree posted:

I've got a pretty passable Roll20 version set up; there's still a little work to be done but if there's interest I could try running a session some weekend (I'm US West Coast time zone).

I'd be interested. I'm also a Left Coaster.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

FiddlersThree posted:

Has anyone tried this mod for Tabletop Simulator?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1358174530&searchtext=Gaslands

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

This one was a little rushed since I wanted to finish two buggies ASAP so I can play the game with 1 car and 1 buggy per player. It's not too bad though and I love the ridiculous gun sitting right next to the driver's ear.

Even tho it's rushed I still love it. The rust didn't come out great in the photo but looks great in person. Decided to make this a real rust bucket.

Next buggy I'm experimenting with using salt for paint chipping.

e: I want to add dirt and dust but I'm waiting for my weathering power to arrive. Everything is closed for CNY here so I figured I'll just revisit it later.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 26, 2023

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

a7m2 posted:

This one was a little rushed since I wanted to finish two buggies ASAP so I can play the game with 1 car and 1 buggy per player. It's not too bad though and I love the ridiculous gun sitting right next to the driver's ear.

Even tho it's rushed I still love it. The rust didn't come out great in the photo but looks great in person. Decided to make this a real rust bucket.

Next buggy I'm experimenting with using salt for paint chipping.

e: I want to add dirt and dust but I'm waiting for my weathering power to arrive. Everything is closed for CNY here so I figured I'll just revisit it later.

I have found at this scale especially that sponging on brown for chipping is far less fussy than the salt method, but don't let me put you off trying techniques out.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

crossposting from the mini painting thread

arsenicCatnip posted:

After reading about Gaslands earlier in this thread, I immediately went out and got myself a hot wheels like a mysteriously self-sufficient 8 year old. It was a bitch to take apart but I'm really happy with how the final product came out.

maybe went a little too hard on the weathering but I suppose it fits the setting

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
That's it, I'm rearranging my painting queue so I'll paint some cars when I'm finished with my current project.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
A couple favorites of mine:

Here's a Google Drive link to images of all the vehicles I've done:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1c43mnuXSwWlZ3BqFCCAT7qiLvaEFxhr2

If anyone plays Gaslands on a VTT, I've got a subfolder in there of top-down images as well.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Just realized I never shared this in this thread:

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Magnetic North posted:

Just realized I never shared this in this thread:

That rules, where did you source the yuge wheels?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

arsenicCatnip posted:

That rules, where did you source the yuge wheels?

Something similar to this Monster Truck Toy. I think it was a Gravedigger. I cut down the chassis to make it short enough for the tiny beetle body.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Rushed out my last buggy so we could get a game in today:

Pretty happy with it. The bit on front is just a random bit of sprue I found. No idea what it's even from but it looks neat. I figured out how to do nice rivets on metal plates too.
The bullets are 3D printed skid dice. They work really well and look cool. I need to add edge highlighting which will make the letters pop just a little more but it's fairly well legible already.

I played a game with my wife. Neither of us had played Gaslands before and she never played a tabletop game before, but it was a great success. The rules are very simple but very exciting. We immediately changed you "you touch it you use it" rule to "you pick it up you use it" since we were rotating and moving overlapping templates on the table a lot to get a better view. I think this still follows the intention of the rule but makes it way less annoying.

I made a lap on the table which I think took us three rounds to get around. I tried to be smart by doing a turn and a slide from the get-go to unload my guns into the side of my opponents car (we had guns unlocked from the start and didn't play with audience votes to keep it simple) but I got punished hard when my opponent T-boned into me and I spun out of control. I somehow managed to catch up with both of her cars which were driving side by side, smashed into the first car, flipped, and smashed into the second car, causing all cars to spin out of control while my other car raced way ahead.

My opponent saw me get way ahead so got one car to drive backwards since the track was a loop in an attempt to cut me off. We had a head-on collision both at gear 5 which destroyed her car and mine just barely survived. My opponent then got an unlucky roll which also caused her buggy to get wrecked, winning me the game. If her buggy didn't crash, even though I was quite a bit ahead there's a good chance I would've wiped out since I desperately needed to gear down to make the last corner and I had 5 hazards.

Really fun game. Can't wait to make a proper team now I understand the rules better.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy poo poo. You guys need to post more battle (race?) reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

a7m2 posted:

Rushed out my last buggy so we could get a game in today:

I always like Gaslands game reports, it's always madness piled high!
Where did you get those neat dice?