Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
For a sufficiently old man, kung-fu is arcane magic.

Alternatively:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Okay that Tressa Warmaster sprite is the CUTEST.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

I kinda love everything about that confrontation with Lucia. Just this long series of Cyrus pointing out obvious flaws to her plan and her having to go "... you're not wrong" because he's instantly picked up on stuff that clearly took her a while to realize.

Although the scholar being the most forward-thinking and eager to help people, collectively, is really an interesting choice. I can't even remember the last story I saw that didn't either make the scholar a stuffy, behind the times obstacle (so basically Yvon) or a self-interested rear end in a top hat genius. The Mummy maybe? Jeez.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Ha, ending on Noa's new entries instead of the narrator or Tressa herself summing up is such a perfect little flourish.

I'm repeatedly impressed by how well they get nuance and detail right in the game to really flesh out how short the story segments are on paper.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Honestly I think they just didn't want to muck up their motifs.

There's three crow men because Yatagarasu, so if you introduce a right leg you not only make 4/3 but suddenly "okay but where's the other two legs" becomes a thing on the creative end.

I guess it's also possible that tying her more explicitly to the Obsidian would make her presence in the comical Tressa chapters a bit more incongruous? but it's pretty clear she's with them regardless if you take the time to notice so that seems a bit weak to me as the reasoning.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

I mean this is a game where we've run a landlord out of town, beat a Martin Shkreli analogue unconscious to put her in jail for indeterminate amounts of time, and killed the poo poo out of a corrupt headmaster to further our goal of democratizing knowledge. Is beating up baby boomers until they stop standing in the way of the next generation really that out of character for the Travelers?

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

After finally picking up the game myself again (at 6/8 on C4 now with Cyrus and H'aanit left to go) and seeing the chapters again I was really struck by how consistently the game was anti-capitalist (fairly anti-hierarchical in general, but especially anti-capitalist). The Bravely games had a definite bent towards "break tradition, take the future in your hands, heroes of the worlds unite" if you're inclined to look at it that way but Octopath has uh... left the land of metaphor quite frequently!

It's unusually topical , especially for the genre. I imagine we'll have quite a few Words for at least one upcoming chapter.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

And remember kids: when someone comes along promising Law and Order and makes show of punishing criminals, it's rarely a long journey before they start punishing the lesser crimes as part of a larger campaign of terror, because all they really care about is their own power and subjugating others with it.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

I'd certainly be disappointed with any other ending.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

It’s mostly a nice nod to the mythos; the couple swears an oath to the twelve gods, but you have to be cautious so as not to invite death and misery... the domains of Osterra’s 13th god.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Seems to me Ophelia just wants to find a nice blacksmith lesbian

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Y’know, there’s been a lot of times that the way Octopath ignores the party in side quests has been weird, but I think it’s peaked. Just, wow.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

There's always something to be said for a sidequest where once you finish the quest-giver says, basically, "OH JESUS I didn't think it was DEADLY PERIL".
Fortunately at this point the travelers are basically avatars of the gods.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

It's strange how much they buried this part of the game really, considering they clearly put a lot of thought into how all this tied together.
Then again, I guess trying to trick the player into grinding a lot to get here is probably for the best.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Grand Gigas posted:

I loved this game and actually stopped it at the very final boss for reasons that may seem understandable. I didn’t wanna level grind. Maybe I was just playing bad, but it was too much imo.

Octopath is the rare RPG that understands how their ability/class system can be broken and plans the hardest bosses accordingly without merely making them walls of stats. They did however create another, not actually related problem, as has been alluded to and I'm sure will be subject of much discussion by Mega64 in the next update.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

So, “villain engineered their own defeat by uniting the heroes against them” is a classic trope, not too surprising here.

It’s interesting though that the travelers specifically were the ones Lyblac screwed over to unite against Galdera.

Since between them they represent the powers of 8 of the 12 gods. I mean, we don’t see THAT many other folk in each one’s class y’know...

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

The big dick move threefold: no save point, no indication that you'll need to use all eight characters and forcing you to go through all eight refights before fighting Galdera - even if you wipe.

Adding to that: Evil Eye is a marathon of a fight if you don’t know the mechanics in advance and get really liberal with those elixirs. The entire gauntlet can run 2-3 hours easily before wiping you if you’re sufficiently strong but insufficiently strategized and prepared to leverage all your resources, and you lose all of it if you wipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

The game does toss you a small bone with the refights, they shower you with JP and of course you've had to beat all 8 paths and get reasonably beefed up in that process. But even if that's enough, you can easily wipe from not knowing what to expect so doing an extensive boss setup as prep is even more potential lost time.