Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I suppose there is some consolation that the 24-year-old tech bros making $$$$$ are similarly unable to afford a home in the Bay Area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

Being in your mid-30s and saying you can't afford a house is like ringing the dinner bell for boomers with lovely advice. Every one of them has told me that when they were my age they were on their SECOND house or some poo poo. Yeah, and the minimum wage was livable, cost of living wasn't total dogshit, and you could pay for a year of college with a summer waitress job, you old fucks.

My one weird trick for home ownership:

Live in a place where the median income was about $35,000/yr when I bought and only about $40-45,000/yr now.

Just be a DINK earning multiple times the local median income in a community with a housing glut, duh! :thunk:

That said, the house I bought will likely remain a rental property forever until I sell it, and I doubt we'll buy another home or condo until it's no-kidding retirement time.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I just looked and the cheapest house in my area is 609k. With a 20%/120k down payment, and 4.5% interest, my payments will be ~$2450. Which is actually more than what I pay in rent right now by ~10%.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vasudus posted:

I just looked and the cheapest house in my area is 609k. With a 20%/120k down payment, and 4.5% interest, my payments will be ~$2450. Which is actually more than what I pay in rent right now by ~10%.

WHY DONT YOU MILLENNIALS BUY OUR HOUSES YOU LAZY FUCKS

DONT YOU KNOW YOURE KILLING THE ECONOMY? gently caress, I HAD A HOUSE BY THE TIME I WAS 25 AND I WAS ABLE TO PAY FOR IT ON ONE JOB AND PUT MONEY AWAY AND MY WIFE DIDNT HAVE TO WORK AND COULD STAY HOME AND RAISE OUR 2.5 KIDS.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Vasudus posted:

Yikes on the downpayment. That's a huge barrier.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Plus, even if you do not give one single gently caress about nice furniture, step 1 of buying a house is usually to buy at least $1-2K worth of tools, replaceable items (filters, etc), repair materials, and so on, depending on where you live.

And then if you don't own a washer/dryer already, RIP that money too. We lucked into buying a used set of Maytags that worked perfectly, and still work over a decade later, and cost us a grand total of $150 for the pair. New washers/dryers are $$$.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

orange juche posted:

WHY DONT YOU MILLENNIALS BUY OUR HOUSES YOU LAZY FUCKS

https://twitter.com/cyberwitchlexi/status/1067498796379250695

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm in the six figgies club (granted on the low end and the membership card is still warm) and largely live like a monk. I've literally never taken a vacation somewhere in my life, I don't have a car, I don't have any crippling medical issues (that cost money), and if I pinch my pennies together never spending a dime on anything but my bills and some rice and beans I can probably save up 2500/month. So I just have to do that for four years straight, easy peasy.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why not use the VA loan though?

mlmp08 posted:

Plus, even if you do not give one single gently caress about nice furniture, step 1 of buying a house is usually to buy at least $1-2K worth of tools, replaceable items (filters, etc), repair materials, and so on, depending on where you live.

And then if you don't own a washer/dryer already, RIP that money too. We lucked into buying a used set of Maytags that worked perfectly, and still work over a decade later, and cost us a grand total of $150 for the pair. New washers/dryers are $$$.

Oh yeah I for sure dropped $3k at Lowes/Home Depot in the first few months. After a year I finally got into a good place where I had the tools and materials I needed for most projects without constantly having to run out to the shop.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

I'm in the six figgies club (granted on the low end and the membership card is still warm) and largely live like a monk. I've literally never taken a vacation somewhere in my life, I don't have a car, I don't have any crippling medical issues (that cost money), and if I pinch my pennies together never spending a dime on anything but my bills and some rice and beans I can probably save up 2500/month. So I just have to do that for four years straight, easy peasy.

I really think my plan of marring rich will work out better for you.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Vasudus posted:

and then a windstorm fucks up your roof and you're hosed

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

I really think my plan of marring rich will work out better for you.

I've accepted the fact that unless I marry someone with equal standing I'm never going to buy a house.

Fallom posted:

Why not use the VA loan though?

I'm going to when it's time, probably, but I would still need to have a rather considerable amount of capital saved up.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Vasudus posted:

I'm going to when it's time, probably, but I would still need to have a rather considerable amount of capital saved up.

I'm probably missing something here but with the VA loan you don't need to have any money down. Of course that means higher payments but at least they are going toward your own equity instead of someone else's.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lou Takki posted:

I'm probably missing something here but with the VA loan you don't need to have any money down. Of course that means higher payments but at least they are going toward your own equity instead of someone else's.

It's good to have an emergency fund so you aren't one of those dumb fucks with a $500k house and no way to pay for basic repairs or a new water heater in an emergency.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fallom posted:

It's good to have an emergency fund so you aren't one of those dumb fucks with a $500k house and no way to pay for basic repairs or a new water heater in an emergency.

Rent out rooms to servicemen just visiting the area. I hear those guys make a ton.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Fallom posted:

Absolutely agree, just wanted to make sure we weren't talking about a 20% down payment though.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

mods changed my name posted:

and then a windstorm fucks up your roof and you're hosed

Just replaced my roof this year. Thought I'd be out about $10-15K, but thanks to the powers of insurance and a massive hail storm, it only cost me like... 2.5 grand? What was lovely is that I wouldn't have even known it was toast unless we'd had tenants switch out, as the previous tenant knew that after the storm there was a leak but figured it was no biggie since it doesn't rain THAT much here. :mad:

LingcodKilla posted:

Rent out rooms to service men just visiting the area.

Fixed for increased profitability.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah I wouldn't *have* to do a 20% downpayment, but even doing 10% w/ a VA loan is still a solid 60k plus furnishing/moving/appliances/improvements/slush fund. Anything in the DC area that is metro accessible is going to have a floor of around 600k.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I was an idiot and bought a house. I pretty much hate it, but it's my wife's dream house, and I don't give a poo poo anymore. We got lucky that the one owner was moving to FL to die, so she left everything we needed for upkeep- ride on, snowblower, basic tools, cleaning poo poo, etc.
Still wasn't worth it.

Also, if Macho Man were still alive, having him read Trump's brain poops, he would get 25th'd so loving quick, because everyone would hear how insane he actually sounds.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It turns out our house was a suicide house, which explains why the widow was so eager to give us everything we asked for prior to closing and why she left a bunch of stuff behind

Sorry about your husband, thanks for the freezer chest

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
have fun fighting ghosts and poo poo

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bulletsponge13 posted:

I was an idiot and bought a house. I pretty much hate it, but it's my wife's dream house, and I don't give a poo poo anymore. We got lucky that the one owner was moving to FL to die, so she left everything we needed for upkeep- ride on, snowblower, basic tools, cleaning poo poo, etc.
Still wasn't worth it.

Also, if Macho Man were still alive, having him read Trump's brain poops, he would get 25th'd so loving quick, because everyone would hear how insane he actually sounds.

has mark hamill dropped any more?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So I wake up screaming and seeing a shadowy figure at the end of the bedroom once in a while, still got a good deal on the house

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

that's just me, nothing to worry about

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I mean I would take the occasional haunting for a discount on the house cost.

Plus who knows, could end up getting a ghostjob on the reg.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fallom posted:

So I wake up screaming and seeing a shadowy figure at the end of the bedroom once in a while, still got a good deal on the house

Oh sorry dude that was me.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

BigDave posted:

Oh sorry dude that was me.

:smugdon:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Get the gently caress out of my house all of you

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Vasudus posted:

I've literally never taken a vacation somewhere in my life,

You should take a vacation.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I've settled on I'm not bothering owning anything until I've done my 24 and by then I'll have been KIA or the government will have collapsed/stopped paying benefits/etc so problem solved :)

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fallom posted:

You said it was cool if I stayed here until I got a job!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

DownByTheWooter posted:

You should take a vacation.

Eh, probably will when I have someone worth going with. I was mostly bringing that up as an example of what my boomer coworkers use as something that I could ~cut back on~ to save up.

I had one of them tell me a story about a two week trip to Hawaii they took. Knowing that the time period lined up with them being unemployed, I asked them if they seriously took a trip to Hawaii while unemployed and got a '...yeah???' back from them. Meanwhile I used to have a borderline panic attack whenever my payday ended up towards the end of the week because that's another week of expenses to cover.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fallom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Vasudus posted:

I mean I would take the occasional haunting for a discount on the house cost.

Plus who knows, could end up getting a ghostjob on the reg.

There was that house in Silver Spring that had two consecutive occupants murdered. Maybe that'll be back on the market soon?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Fallom posted:

Dude you said I could pay to stay on your couch

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Handsome Ralph posted:

There was that house in Silver Spring that had two consecutive occupants murdered. Maybe that'll be back on the market soon?

:thunk:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Basically just the house from Mother!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

A buddy of mine had a murder condo

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Handsome Ralph posted:

Doom House 3 ARG lookin good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Realistically I'll get a house when my mom kicks the bucket and I can sell her townhouse out in the middle of nowhere. Except she'll probably outlive me since she's the most stubborn person on the planet beyond my grandmother, who is almost 96.