Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Holy moly. That's wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Tell that to Stalin

Yeah but there's a difference between "early retirement" and "7.62 tokarev to the back of the skull" in terms of getting rid of your generals.

The second option only really flies in North Korea, but in their case it's less 7.62 Tokarev and more 20mm AA gun.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Tbh better than loving Toronto we can't afford higher housing prices or more traffic

loving 401 is the busiest highway in North America already.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm just picturing Mattis telling the White House jerkoff who told him to do that to gently caress off, instead of his usual answer of saying he'll refer the matter to an inter-service planning task force headed by the appropriate assistant undersecretary.

Ask me again and I'll send you to loving Afghanistan.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Happy election day America

Your northern pot having friends are rooting for you

Make strong daddy trump vent on twitter so hard his diaper needs changing.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Hot Karl Marx posted:

id say drive to sault sainte marie and i can hook you up but im almost out and im leaving friday (I loving hope, been here over 6 months this year)

you never leave DA SOO

ever

it is within you for the rest of your life.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Vasudus posted:

It's like complaining that someone won a boxing match by points but didn't get a TKO.

I used to have a friend who told me that if a champion didn't beat a challenger by knockout/submission (MMA) then he didn't deserve to keep the belt.
This person was also very stupid.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

rip Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III

he never scored

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

BigDave posted:

Because I'm home sick with some kind of pneumonia/cold hybrid, I did some research on these Incel people.

2014, incel shoots up UCSB, killing 6.
2015, incel shoots up a Oregon community college, killing 9
2018, incels shoot up a Tampa hot yoga class and drive a van into a crowd of people in Toronto, killing 12 total.

That's 27 dead, x2 wounded in the last four years. Counting Thousand Oaks, 24 dead just this year.

Don't forget the 10 dead in the Incel Van Attack in Toronto earlier this year.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

i'm from Canada and they say I'm a little slow, eh

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

fdr was the bloodiest prez by far of the 20th century and i lust for more fdr's

lincoln was by far the bloodiest of the 19th and i would take another lincoln anytime

washington was the same of the 18th and hell i would take a washington, slaves and all

I'd dispute FDR, replace with Truman. He was just very cool about it.

When Oppenheimer came to visit the White House after the war, Oppenheimer told Truman "I feel as if I have blood on my hands". Truman threw a handkerchief at him and told him to see if that helps.
After he left, Truman told his chief of staff "I never want to see that son of a bitch ever again. I have more blood on my hands than he does, but you can't go belly-aching about it."

Truman was also an artillery officer in WW1, and remained a reservist all the way up until WW2, and volunteered for service in WW2. FDR wanted sitting congressmen/senators who were in the military to serve by staying in congress.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 9, 2018

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

joat mon posted:

The US is undoubtedly the worst hegemonic power the world has ever known.*

*except for every other hegemonic power the world has ever known.

Yeah when it comes to hegemonic powers y'all are pretty tame. There was some bad poo poo (re; genocide) that went down in the Philippines and with the Native Americans but those were exceptions instead of the genocide that was a SOP for other great empires (Caesar with Gaul, Mongols with everyone who hosed with them, Imperial Russia with the Jews, Turkey with the Kurds, Soviet Russia with the Holodomor, Germany with the Jews/Roma)

I think it was Dan Carlin who once said that a country is a rare exception if it HASN'T committed an act of genocide in it's history somewhere. Almost everyone somewhere in their family history has either been an executor of genocide or a victim of it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

GOSH THIS VERDUN PLACE WOULD MAKE FOR A GREAT GOLF COURSE, JUST PUT SOME SAND IN THESE CRATERS
IS IT FOR SALE?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm actually cool with big strong daddy not sullying our memorial with his taint.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Holy poo poo piss

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

That Works posted:

How many millions of French died in WWI?

This is just loving disgusting, ignorant, etc.

Essentially 5% of their entire pre-war population.

They had staggering casualties. They had 27000 DEAD in one single day in the battle of the Frontiers.
I think it's Antietam that's the bloodiest day in American history? 2800 dead between Union/Confederates in total?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

McNally posted:

On both sides for Antietam it was 3,650 total killed on the field, 17,300 wounded (no figures readily available of how many later died of their wounds), 1,770 captured or missing.

A very lovely day indeed. Doubly lovely because all the causalities from both sides were Americans.

My point was, the bloodiest day in American history was 1 day. The French ate losses in the tens of thousands almost every goddamn day for a month straight.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

That's a 600 dollar watch ruined by slapping fox news poo poo on it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

If twitter clapbacks were equal to political experience, would that make Wendy's twitter the next president?

Wendy's/Nihilist Arbys 2020

Keep killing it AOC, she can clap back all day long and hear no goddamn complaint from me. Leave them sputtering and stammering.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I would need to read that article because those words make no loving sense at all

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

who is this person and why do I care

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Vasudus posted:

It's also telling that popular modern science fiction doesn't even bother to terraform Mars. The Expanse franchise is in the late 2400s and Mars is still just a bunch of domes. Mass Effect is in the late 2100s and it doesn't have a breathable atmosphere. Like goddamn.

Yeah in the expanse the "dream" of the dusters is still to terraform mars, and this is when mars is independent of earth and has a huge navy and they STILL can't do it because of cost/time. Mass effect they didn't bother with because gently caress now you have all these new garden worlds, why spend the time/effort (which turns into a major plot point in the expanse as well)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

The Expanse is one of the most realistic takes on interplanetary expansion. It's not the glamorous utopia of Star Trek, it's not the swashbuckling adventure of Star Wars, it's cold and dark and miserable and there's a million different ways you can die, both instantly or prolonged. And the greatest danger in the Expanse is capitalism. Some corporate suit thinks they can save a buck by reducing oxygen output on mining stations by 10%, and now your children (who you have to bring with you because you can't exactly drop them off at daycare a million miles away) are growing up literally retarded. And then you get blown up by the military for protesting it.

Mars is extraordinarily hosed up in The Expanse. They all know that the terraforming project will take thousands of years, so everyone who lives there is raised to be fanatically devoted to it. Their economy is still capitalist though, so they end up with a few super rich families that control all the terraforming machinery, and the lower classes are fully indoctrinated to believe that anyone who doesn't work for a living (like the billions of people on Earth on basic income) is a greedy, selfish "taker". The end result is an insanely fascist society.

I loving love The Expanse.

gently caress yes hombre. Bobbi is my second favorite character (after Amos of course because Amos is peak GiP) who starts out all hoorah and gung-ho and "WHO WILL DRINK EARTH'S RIVERS DRY AND POUND THEIR MOUNTAINS TO SAND MARS MARS HOOAH" but realizes very quickly "holy gently caress I puke every time I look -up- because I've lived in a dome my whole life and the gravity hurts my bones and why are there so many people what the gently caress".

The future looks a lot like the present except with more spaceships.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Look a this lucky fucker, who has a whole season of the expanse to watch he didn't know existed

And not just a whole season, a VERY GOOD season.

The actress they got to play Bobbi is great but coming from the books where she's supposed to be 6 foot and built like a samoan rugby player.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Laranzu posted:

Kinda wonder how much of the world's helium reserves are used in the Thanksgiving day parade.

Due to cost constraints, helium has been replaced with low cost, green-energy Hydrogen.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Einstein whatever

Enrico loving Fermi was way cooler.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

How's that frantic effort to rehabilitate zwarte piet into something not hilariously racist going

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

bengy81 posted:

I'm planning on holding out in the Dakotas if poo poo gets nasty.

I'm hiding out at my cottage in the Kawartha Highlands. 100 acres of protected forest, totally off-grid, propane generator + solar as a power source and well-water, and there's plans on getting a diesel genny to back up the propane because gently caress me the thing is not reliable.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

my dad bought one of those cheap Chinese IoT plugs that's controlled thru an app, he has two lights in the house setup on timers. After the router went and hosed itself it took him 20 minutes to re-sync the thing just so he could push a button on his phone and turn the lights on and off.

I rage at the tv when I see those google home ads "HEY GOOGLE TURN ON THE COFFEEMAKER". So you bought a 20-30 dollar wifi plug to work with your 40-50 dollar smart home solution so you can have the same functionality that a 20 dollar coffee maker with a timer has. gently caress off.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I like the idea of class war

but I also like the idea of chud morons getting scammed out of all their money and a portion of it being donated to causes which would make them rage

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Lol if you think Donnie is gonna give Paulie boy a pardon. That would mean Trump values people and their loyalty.

He does not.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

loving Erick son of Erick needs to be kicked into a pit.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Jarmak posted:

Barring some sort of medical/tech breakthrough that lets them make concussion-proof helmets I think the only way football survives is drastically downgrading the protective gear so that the contact looks more like rugby. I mean like... lacrosse soft pads level gear.

You don't even need to take a shot to the head to get a concussion

Also it's not as if Rugby is the safest sport either, I got concussed during a no-contact practice because someone wasn't looking where they were going and smacked their forehead into my jaw. I was lucky not to lose any teeth in that one, wasn't wearing my mouth guard.

I still want to play though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

It was the Fox News subscription service FOUNDER'S EDITION Tactical watch.