Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

https://mobile.twitter.com/emptywheel
Marcy Wheeler, investigative journalist specializing in national security/civil liberties, medium sweary for a journalist, excellent at stringing together timelines of events to put recent developments in context, strong bullshit detector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Chichevache posted:

People always forget that "a few bad apples" spoils the bunch.

This drives me INSANE whenever someone actually says it to my face to excuse an individual bad actor.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Vasudus posted:

It would take years for that sort of thing to be stood up. I shared the same floor as the Election Assistance Commission and they were hilariously hamstrung by congress dragging their feet on the simplest things, when they weren't at risk of being defunded to death on a regular basis.

Brennan center report on what could be done to un-gently caress larger problems with American small-d democracy:

https://www.brennancenter.org/publication/democracy-election-agenda-2018

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Seems to to be missing the forest without mentioning the structure of the Senate or the general terribleness of a first past the post system, but there are a lot of small improvements in there that should be no-brainers if one of the parties in charge wasn't interested in small-d democracy.

Yeah, I mean it's stuff that actual elected congresscritters might meaningfully support, not stuff that would require constitutional amendments or require major parties to cut their own throats. By definition it's gonna be half measures, but even half measures can still be effective if you pile up enough of them.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

mods changed my name posted:

I thought taking senate was always like a beyond minuscule chance anyhow?

20% or so.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

psydude posted:

Does Florida have automatic recounts for governor races?

edit: Sinema got Nader'd by the green party candidate.

I mean, the green candidate withdrew to not be a spoiler, but AZ wouldn't take her off the ballot.

Edit:. And there's still like 500k ballots to count in Maricopa.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Local papers are treating Torres Small as final. NM-2 just flipped blue. After the Republican gave her victory speech last night too.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Suicide Watch posted:

It's beautiful seeing these rural states turn blue. Reminds me of whenever CHUDs show the electoral college map with the huge swaths of red. There are sensible people in all parts of the country.

Montana had an interesting midterm. Its sole congressional district was won by Gianforte (the bodyslammer) with 243K to 218K, but the Senate seat went to Tester with 237K to 223K. Looks like Gianforte was a more convincing candidate than Rosendale, or that Tester's proved himself with his past record.

I mean, it was mostly increased turnout in the one big city down there, I think. Typically turnout there was pretty low, but no incumbent + Trump's racism in a pretty heavily Hispanic state drove turnout enough for it to get across the line. But aside from Cruces, that district is mostly Northwest Texas. Harrell was a pro-trump dipshit, Pearce before her repeatedly won reelection as a member of the HFC.

The way this sticks is if people keep turning out. Not (mostly) because the people who showed up in the past changed their minds.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Almost identical experience here. It took a few months for the urge to log back in for the sake of convenience to go away (most people I know and organizations I belong to run events through facebook), and to get used to the little extra effort it took to maintain contact w/ people I give a poo poo about—but it was well worth it for the improvement to my relationships and, following that, my life in general. It's never a bad time to delete your account.

Me three. Got off before the primary because I figured people yelling at each other about the election would annoy the poo poo out of me, then stayed off because no reason to make it easy for them to put you on a list (not that not having logged on for 3-4 years will actually help that much, honestly.)

poo poo is purposefully addictive, adds stress, and is counterproductive to actually being able to talk meaningfully to people you actually care enough to talk to, IMO.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Cooper sez:

1) it ain't easy being a g.
2) Dad, it's cold. Winter sucks.

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 11, 2018

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I mean, Goldwater voted against the Civil Rights Act.

Personally I'm of the opinion that the last good Republican was Ike, and even he had operation wetback under his administration.

poo poo has been going wildly downhill since about Nixon, IMO, and that ignores Goldwater prior to that, HUAC, and McCarthy.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Vasudus posted:

It's also ok to question your values and re-align yourself if necessary. Not enough people do that, and I think it's a great disservice. You don't even have to be 'I was wrong in the past', it's not about that. It's acknowledging that what you felt in the past isn't what you feel now.

I used to be a Republican because that's how I was raised. Everyone in my family were Republicans. I voted that way until 2006, even voting for Bush in 2004 knowing that it would 99.997% likely send me to Iraq. But I was a New England Republican, which is mostly 'lol gently caress taxes' so the religious/pro-life stuff wasn't what I identified with in the first place. Then I started forming my own political identity because I started to self educate on politics before I started going to school. Military service showed me that military interventions are loving stupid for everything except smashing a country to bits. I learned how taxes work, I learned where money goes and how government functions. Then one day I realized that holy poo poo, I'm not a Republican at all. So I switched parties.

Pretty much same, except Alaska/Californian as opposed to NE. The real inflection point for me was McCain going to make nice with Jerry Falwell in 2006 and choosing Palin for VP.

I dunno, Trump is saying a lot of poo poo louder and being a obviously corrupt and ignorant piece of poo poo, but the stuff he's pursuing (tariffs aside) are pretty much bog standard Republican policies, just not dressed up pretty. To some extent the overt racism wasn't accepted at the in-public national party level before his election, but it was pushed HARD by conservative media, it's what a bunch of the base (all the ones who've moved from Democrat to Republican since the southern strategy) whole heartedly embraces, etc.

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 14, 2018

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

psydude posted:

I don't think you can compare pre-Goldwater Republicans to post-Goldwater Republicans. Same goes with Pre/Post Kennedy Democrats. The civil Rights movement realigned the parties around race more than any sort of policy agenda; Eisenhower probably would have been slightly to the right of Obama by today's standards.

Eh, I agree those were big sea changes in the parties, but the impact on who was in office was gradual. Part of the reason Republicans keep railing against filthy activist judges who were actually appointed by Republicans is how quickly the party is moving to the right. And to some extent the same is true of progressives mad at older reps who have been in office for decades.

Like yeah, the civil Rights act and the southern strategy was transformative in how it switched which party was the white supremacist party, but it took till... What 93 for Texas to stop electing democratic senators, and it wasn't till Obama that high school educated Americans were as good as college educated Americans at saying which party was the ones who were more inclusive of people of color.

Absolutely agree it was gingrich that really accelerated the "win at all costs" tactics. Prior to him fillibuster was mostly reserved for things like anti-lynching laws and civil rights act.

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 14, 2018

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

hobbesmaster posted:

This is how diplomacy worked until after WWII right?

There's a reason the term is "lingua Franca"

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I mean, all of those "get lower level people together to ask higher up people questions" things are bullshit, military or corporate. The higher ups have some prepared talking points, and your job is not to ask too obviously asanine or confrontational questions to allow them to vomit forth those talking points. They're never gonna tell you something they haven't already put out in public, and they're never gonna give firm answers that they haven't already given out.

It's just mastubatory dog and pony poo poo.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

FAT BATMAN posted:

Ah. OK, in that context it make sense.

It is a sensible question, but it's dumb to think you'll get an honest answer. No general is going to be like "it's political bullshit" even if it is. Therefore even if it's NOT political bullshit, you can't trust the general when he says that to you. And also, you're in the military, your whole job is doing stupid poo poo because someone who outranks you says so.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I'd be down for Barbara Lee, but she (and near as I can tell, all other left-ish reps) are backing Pelosi. So.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Here's that Intercept piece on seal war crimes from a while ago:

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/10/the-crimes-of-seal-team-6/

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

No, no, no. Cut a hole in the box.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Isn't Mars' gravity too weak to have an atmosphere that can sustain people/things bigger than bacteria

My understanding is that it's not the low gravity, it's that the core has solidified which means there's almost no magnetic field, compared to earth. This allows the solar wind to strip off the atmosphere because it's not being deflected by a strong magnetic field.

On human civilization scales you could probably beef it back up enough to be habitable-ish for at least millennia (and presumably you could find some other fix in that kind of time period) but it's very much not a "thing to do before we've managed to un-gently caress Earth's climate" kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Vasudus posted:

I would imagine a bunch of FBI agents explaining how they've caught you dead to rights will change someone's tone quite a bit.

In related news, Georgie Poopascoops might have tried to flee the country, if his now deleted tweet is accurate.

One of my annoyances up till this point has been the short sentences being handed out (manafort excluded) so I will die laughing if he gets hammered for trying to run on a two week sentence.

Also, gently caress Hillary Clinton.