Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Tom Nichols is a good follow, National Security professor at the Naval War College https://twitter.com/RadioFreeTom

David Simon (Creator of The Wire) is a fun follow too.
https://twitter.com/AoDespair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

shame on an IGA posted:

HOLY poo poo HULU JUST ADDED THE ENTIRE RUN OF KING OF THE HILL

VAYA CON DIOS

THIS IS THE GREATEST loving DAY!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

LingcodKilla posted:

I just signed up for Hulu.

Pocket Sand!

THAT'S MY PURSE! I DON'T KNOW YOU!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

theyre not broken, just lovely and unfortunately lovely in favor of Ted Cruz

It does the same thing for Beto that it does for Cruz if you vote straight ticket R. It's lovely and stupid, but it's not a feature it's a bug that they were aware of last election but still haven't made any efforts to fix.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Tell that to Stalin

General Zhukov says hello.

But I mean yeah, pre-1941, no one was safe.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

Well it was fun living in my house that had the sweet view of the DC skyline while it lasted. Though my landlord said he'd sign a two year lease with me this weekend, maybe I call him tomorrow and push that through now to lock in my rent.

He also said he'd let me vacate with two months notice if my wife and I decide to buy a house in the next couple of years, so he's a cool landlord but fuckkkk paying any more in rent.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Deathy McDeath posted:

My local election is very boring. Don Beyer is like a +20 favorite, Tim Kaine is deffo gonna win, our city’s mayor is running unopposed. I got to vote on allowing tax breaks for coastal homeowners who flood-proof their home which is LAME AS HELL

Really looking forward to see how amendment 4 does in Florida

The only fun thing about my election (same rep as you) was voting for a dem for the county council against an independent and voting against a woman who's running for school board that made keeping high schools named after confederates her first point.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Deathy McDeath posted:

Wait, who was this??

Clement.

http://audreyclement.com/

like the rest of her platform is boilerplate stuff you'd expect someone running for school board to be about, but if the first thing on your platform you want to tell people about is "preserving the Washington-Lee High School's name", kinda says it all.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

https://twitter.com/ArlingtonVotes/status/1059917496562708482

For reference, turnout last year during the gubernatorial was 55%. This number is insane.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah I'm done with D&D for the night. They keep seeing races that still have a ton of votes outstanding and proceed to freak the gently caress out.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Florida being this close is a bit of a kick in the nuts.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

mods changed my name posted:

I thought taking senate was always like a beyond minuscule chance anyhow?

It was, at best it was a 20% chance and this map was insanely difficult for Dems to begin with.

The issue to be concerned with is less the senate staying in GOP hands and more that they look like they'll be picking up a few seats.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

ND was super toast - who else is flipping?

As of right now, Donnelly IN is gone. Florida is still too close to call but it's potentially a pickup for the GOP and Bat Boy.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

IN was called over an hour ago, FL...it could still go either way but :smith: Florida Man strikes again.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

SDFLKJSADFASLDLKJFASDFLKSAJDJFASDFLKJKJASDF

gently caress.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Smiling Jack posted:

hello everyone I spent my mental health break campaigning to defeat Republican Peter King (and you know fighting crime and poo poo) and the challenger Liuba Gretchen-Shirley currently has a 600 vote lead And I am freaking out

anyway peace out

:unsmith:

That's cool.

Don Dongington posted:

So is the issue here the incompetence, or the likelihood that the counts have probably been hosed with a lot?

Broward county is a Dem stronghold, I'm leaning towards technical fuckup/incompetence.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I think I need to check out for the night. I realize what a big deal the house going to Democrat control will be, but Florida and Georgia are really eating at me and it's upsetting me more than it should.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

You know, normally I defend her for being able to whip votes and being a better speaker than Ryan was, but hearing this, gently caress that. It's time for a new speaker, get the gently caress out of the way Pelosi.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Vasudus posted:

A lot of support for Beto is largely responsible for turning downticket TX races into meatgrinders. So even though he didn't win, he helped out more than people realize.

Yeah, this is a huge thing that I think a lot of the "nothing matters" crew is ignoring or missing out on.

I'm bummed out about Florida, and Georgia looks to be going the same way, but there is a lot of good stuff that happened last night that shouldn't be ignored. I mean 1.4 million people getting their voting rights back is a huge loving deal.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

It's gonna own when the stock market collapses due to "obstruction by the democratic house" and we get king trump

Ehhhh, considering how well the economy is right now (or at least how people perceive it to be), I have my doubts that if/when things go tits up in the next two years, Trump ends up the victor.

Gonna be kinda hard for them to keep pushing the "We want to protect pre-existing conditions, Dems want to remove it!" bullshit when the Dem house doesn't let it get to a vote or soundly defeats it if the Senate sends them a bill.

I'd also argue that PA's and MI's house races are indicative that his poo poo isn't working nearly as well as it did two years ago. Time will tell.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I think a lot of the "sky is falling" is coming from people who were super behind Gilliam, Abrams, and Beto and refusing to look beyond those races at the bigger picture.

Beto's coat tails did a hell of a lot of good. Even though he lost, he lost within 3 points (which is insane considering how routinely Dems get clobbered in that state), he's not gonna disappear and he helped down ballot races a lot more than running someone like, Wendy Davis or Juan Castro, would have.

Abrams is likely gonna push for a run off. gently caress if I know how that goes, it'd be nice if she wins but I'm not optimistic about that one.

Gilliam, well, Florida being Florida, is anyone loving surprised? Also like Beto, he lost by a stupidly small margin, he's not going to disappear.

House oversight is a huge get, as is the net governorships and the FL actually passing re-enfranchisement for felons.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Aren't all appointments done through the senate?

Yes, so judicial appointments and cabinet appointments (you know at least a couple of them are going to be replaced in the next few months) will pretty much glide through the senate with ease.

Though I'm with Vas on this, I'd much rather win the house then the senate.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

There was a rumor Mueller was witholding his report/indictments till after the Midterms so he wouldn't pull a Comey.

Likely bullshit (Mueller moves whenever he wants to it seems), but if that news came out today/this week, lol.

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/AprilDRyan/status/1060196196948566017

Uhhh, but Gilliam conceded?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Vasudus posted:

El Trumpo has to be real careful now. Dems are 100% going to impeach him if the special council is hosed with now.

Not like it goes anywhere though, so they vote to impeach...then what? No way in hell they get 60 votes in the Senate even if they have 4K footage of Trump letting Putin take a dump on the Resolute Desk.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Marcy Wheeler doesn't seem too concerned. When she starts panicking about things, I'll proceed to panic.

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1060265349009022977

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Current Event: Chuck Yeager still owns.

https://twitter.com/GenChuckYeager/status/1060715511699382272

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

facialimpediment posted:

gently caress, this would be so funny.

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1060740387109830656

Donnie and co's only bullshit argument was about how good they did in the Senate. Man, they'd be so mad.

As of right now, MT has been called for Tester, and Arizona still has a ways to go but it's looking better and better by the hour for Sinema.

Florida's really the big wild card at this point, but either way, it's pretty :laffo: at how this turned out days later.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nephzinho posted:

I follow the guideline of "if you don't wish someone a happy birthday you should unfriend them" and it has kept things pretty garbage free.

I don't even do that on facebook anymore, haven't for years. If we're close enough, I'll call you or send you a text, otherwise :shrug:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i would take 5 trumans, 5 eisenhowers, or 5 fdr's over any orange dipshit

Who the gently caress wouldn't?

That's a rhetorical question N4I, you don't need to answer that.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah Lindsey Graham is also whining about the FL and Arizona vote counts. I mean they haven't even finished the initial vote count, let alone start a recount, so it's pretty :lol: that they want to ignore votes so they can call it a day while they are ahead.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

facialimpediment posted:

Rain appears to have replaced stairs as the dumb thing that Trump is completely scared of for no reason.

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1062018849023889409?s=19

I live next to Arlington Cemetery. It's overcast but there's no rain whatsoever right now. It hasn't rained at all today.

Man, gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

Waiting for Meghan McCain to yell about this and then in the very next breath, blame the liberal media.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I'll remove that benefit. Any other president, I would imagine would just move their visit to earlier in the day, show up for the 45 minute ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown and then head over to the Pentagon right after since it's right next door (and they usually shut down that part of the GW Parkway, all 2 miles of it, whenever the president is going to either location).

Donnie's afraid of rain. He also hates leaving his residence before 10AM.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

facialimpediment posted:

The best part about that is that McSally is likely about to get appointed for the McCain Senate seat, held temporarily by Jon Kyl. That's why McSally didn't ring the conspiracy gong when national Republicans and Trump wanted her to.

So the future future Senator just conceded to the future Senator.

Edit: CONCESSION SPEECH INCLUDES GOOD DOG https://twitter.com/MarthaMcSally/status/1062144676822577152

Though the best part is, she will have to run for her seat again in 2020, and then yet again in 2022 (assuming she wins in 2020).

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 13, 2018

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Just hoping that housing in Maryland doesn't get as crazy. Helps that my wife and I don't want kids so suddenly buying a house isn't as much of a poo poo show since we don't have to worry about school systems and such when looking around.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

As long as nothing happens to Bob & Edith's :ohdear:

DON'T YOU PUT THAT EVIL ON ME, RICKY BOBBY.

gently caress, tech bros are gonna ruin that and the Burrito Brothers shack, aren't they?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Warms the cockles of me heart, it does.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

So the NYT actually did some good journalism this week instead of interviewing voters in fly over country.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1062813760774172672

There's a whole lot of :stare: in here.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

psydude posted:

e: I don't have an issue with AOC, I just struggle to understand the fandom surrounding her when the only thing we know about her so far is that she runs a great campaign.

It's pretty easy to understand,

-She's a millennial
-She's advocating for things that are very popular with millennial's
-Her unseating a boomer Dem political machine head speaks for itself
-She's living rent free in the right wing's head right now, and that's pretty impressive for someone who hasn't even been sworn in yet.

I don't think anyone reasonable thinks she's going to change things all on her own in her first term, but she's a pretty good representation of millennial's starting to become politically aware and active aside from just voting and volunteering.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Godholio posted:

We lost a P-51D yesterday in Texas, along with its pilot and passenger, a WWII B-17 pilot. Unlike most warbirds, which will give you a ride for a few hundred bucks, WWII vets and Purple Heart recipients got to ride on "Pecos Bill" for free. :(

Fuckkkkkk.

Hell of a way to die though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I bought a 970 three years ago, and it served me well. This week I bought myself a 1070 ti, a 9600K and a new motherboard and ram to go with it for under 950.

Took the plunge since my 2500K has finally started to show it's age and I'd really like to fully utilize my ultrawide monitor. Prices have come down a lot but I reckon you'll see them drop even further in the months to come. As someone said, Nvidia is in a bit of a bind right now. Doesn't help that the 20XX series is having some serious teething issues.

On that note, anyone want to buy a 970?