Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

peanut- posted:

I don't know what to think about Labour's budget amendment.

People in the income brackets they're proposing can definitely afford to pay more, but it's depressing if a left Labour government's big idea for addressing taxation is ultimately just hammering income tax rather than any of the actual sources of serious wealth and inequality in this country.

Well, have you read their manifesto? There's uh, quite a lot of different ways they'll be addressing inequality.

https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/creating-economy-works/#first

quote:

Widening ownership of our economy

Britain is a long-established democracy. But the distribution of ownership of the country’s economy means that decisions about our economy are often made by a narrow elite. More democratic ownership structures would help our economy deliver for the many and lead to a fairer distribution of wealth.

In government, Labour would give more people a stake – and a say – in our economy by doubling the size of the co-operative sector and introducing a “right to own,” making employees the buyer of first refusal when the company they work for is up for sale. We will act to ‘insource’ our public and local council services as preferred providers.

Many basic goods and services have been taken out of democratic control through privatisation. This has often led to higher prices and poorer quality, as prices are raised to pay out dividends. For example, water bills have increased 40 per cent since privatisation, and our private energy providers overcharged customers by £2 billion in 2015. In private hands, Royal Mail has increased stamp and parcel charges, and failed to meet its customer service obligations, while its owners trade shares at a significant profit. The Conservative Government’s privatisation of Royal Mail was a historic mistake, selling off another national asset on the cheap.

E: 2 - The BBC channel which used to have really good comedy and stuff on in the evenings, like Red Dwarf.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

forkboy84 posted:

Hey fellow UKMTers, I had a horrible loving moment this morning. I did myself an injury in the dumbest way possible: I have strained a muscle in my arm while getting out of bed.
set your alarm 5 minutes earlier and you won't have to go at your morning wank with such injurious vigour

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

peanut- posted:

People in the income brackets they're proposing can definitely afford to pay more, but it's depressing if a left Labour government's big idea for addressing taxation is ultimately just hammering income tax rather than any of the actual sources of serious wealth and inequality in this country.

Income inequality IS one of the actual sources of serious inequality in this country though?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Life is hell because people loving suck

But we have food and alcohol I guess, who wants to live beyond 70 anyway

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

Rarity posted:

He's already a big fan, he's just playing it cool cause he's trying to reel you in.

Possibly, he is rightwinger, but he's also completely lacking in guile. I just told him that Peterson's an old fraud with a knack for sounding intellectual, and urged him to think critically about what he hears. I have zero faith in this working out well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Me, I want to live to see the crushing of my enemies.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

peanut- posted:

Labour's income tax strategy is to put more bands at the top rather than mess around with the existing ones so it is still an attempt to make it more progressive without spooking those people who apparently wither and die at the thought of it.

You shouldn't ignore the rest of their spending platform though which is about reallocating spending to other parts of the UK other than the southeast and co operative ownership etc, but it isn't good to see them get dragged into a technical argument about tax bands rather than the wider strategy about wealth and income.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Income inequality IS one of the actual sources of serious inequality in this country though?

This was the logic for it:

quote:

We will support the tax cuts at the moment on the basis that it will inject some demand into the economy.

But we put forward in the general election a fairer taxation system so that does mean that we will be asking the top 5% to pay a bit more in income tax and we will be rolling back many of the corporation tax cuts that have taken place, and we will be cracking down on tax evasion and tax avoidance.

What we’ve said is we will leave those personal allowances at whatever we inherit but our focus will be on a fair taxation system.

So basically, "enjoy it for now"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean technically "raise taxes and use it to pay for things" is far more social democracy than anything, it's managing capitalism rather than changing the relationship of the worker to their workplace, which the stuff about cooperativization is definitely significant on. That is more actually marxist than tax and spend.

Not that I would object to taxing and spending cos it does do good things.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

The best part about Gordon Peterson (other than calling him that from now on) is how wrong he is about Marx to the degree that anyone who has casually read Marx or anyone commenting on Marx within the past 150 years can own him without effort.

The second best part was when he got schooled by David ben Atar.

Did he ever do the debate with Zizek? I can't find it anywhere.

Don't think so. There is this hilarious bit where Jim Jefferies destroys his argument in 40 seconds and he admits it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdvS2Re21Og

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
The cunning thing the tories do though is to sneak it on National Insurance. That increase in the basic rate tax band also brings them into basic national insurance so instead of paying 2% on that bit, they will have to pay 12% as well as losing pension tax relief at 40% and will get it at 20% so quite a bit of the income tax saving is being clawed back through other means.

In 1992 labour said they would increase income tax by - was it 1% - and that is said to be one of the main reasons they lost that election (though I'm of the opinion the dreadful Sheffield rally had a lot to do with it too!) and the tories got in on that basis and promptly stuck 1% on national insurance which affected more people.

The embarrassment of the Sheffield Rally for those who may not have seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TOgB3Smvro

I'm cringing as I'm rewatching.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm not really sure what the point of airports is if they're no longer a place you can drink at 7am on a Tuesday.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
“Social democracy with good workers’ rights” is pretty much the best system our rotten loving species can seem to manage at this point in time, until they inevitably go either neoliberal or fash

Other than total nuclear annihilation I mean

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol when even aaronovitch is calling you out

https://twitter.com/DAaronovitch/status/1057931042181529605

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The cunning thing the tories do though is to sneak it on National Insurance. That increase in the basic rate tax band also brings them into basic national insurance so instead of paying 2% on that bit, they will have to pay 12% as well as losing pension tax relief at 40% and will get it at 20% so quite a bit of the income tax saving is being clawed back through other means.

In 1992 labour said they would increase income tax by - was it 1% - and that is said to be one of the main reasons they lost that election (though I'm of the opinion the dreadful Sheffield rally had a lot to do with it too!) and the tories got in on that basis and promptly stuck 1% on national insurance which affected more people.

The embarrassment of the Sheffield Rally for those who may not have seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TOgB3Smvro

This too, a distressing number of people are allergic to tax and get conniptions if you suggest raising it. So while Labour could run on full redistribution now, it'd probably lower their chances of actually being able to do it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Galaspar posted:

November has got off to a flying start. A colleague messaged me to ask if I've heard of a 'Gordan Petersen' who, like, totally owned some TV interviewer lady. He's off to see him speak tonight, and has promised full details tomorrow. Lucky me!

https://twitter.com/haramgirlfriend/status/1057632676348194817

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

You can bet the farm that the ban won't be extending to the airport executive lounges.

Protip: if temporarily stranded or with a long (6+ hours) layover, dropping 30-40 quid on entry to the generic lounge is an excellent way of getting sloshed, fed, pampered, and access to great WiFi, and often equivalent in expenditure to eating/drinking elsewhere in the airport for the duration.

Yes I know, I've already earmarked myself for the wall.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Can't wait for the airport drinking ban to backfire as everyone buys a bottle of smirnoff in duty free and then cokes at the bar instead and gets even more drunk

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pochoclo posted:

“Social democracy with good workers’ rights” is pretty much the best system our rotten loving species can seem to manage at this point in time, until they inevitably go either neoliberal or fash

You alright bud? That's two particularly despairing takes in less than half an hour

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

forkboy84 posted:

Air travel is ludicrously cheap though? Far too cheap from an environmental perspective imo. Idea it's cheaper to fly to London than train to London is real dumb, especially when the plane is 2 and a half hours including getting to the airport and going through security and the train is not much shy of 12 hours.

I think it's very expensive, but I also think it's a horrible waste of money to fly anywhere, because anywhere sucks.

I saved my money, staying put where I am and instead I just bought a milling machine with all that money I did not throw away on flying or similar.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So preston is the city where the labour council encouraged all the local institutions to buy from local companies and look whats happened as a result

https://twitter.com/MatthewBrownLab/status/1057786373749592064

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Don't think so. There is this hilarious bit where Jim Jefferies destroys his argument in 40 seconds and he admits it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdvS2Re21Og
Really the saddest thing about people being able to destroy his arguments by having read a single letter from Engels commenting on Capital or a preamble to a court case on the Civil Rights Act is how many people have evidently read neither.

Pochoclo posted:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Can we just do away with flying in general? Besides the environmental impact it's also just a completely miserable experience end to end.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Borrovan posted:

If you live in the countryside, buy a high powered airgun and bag yourself some rabbits and wood pigeons, they actually do quite a lot of ecological harm uncontrolled so it's an environmental net gain (as well as being delicious). Also, pheasants are easy pickings if there's any gamekeepers in your area, and since they're bred in captivity anyway you can file it under "stealing food from rich people" rather than "hunting" (yeah it's illegal, yeah it's unsporting, but lead's cheap and I used to be dirt poor, cut me some slack). If you've got the inclination for it, I used to like ferreting too:- there's enough non-delicious pest species out there to keep them well-fed, they're great fun to keep and they'll bring in a lot more rabbits for you and your neighbours. Just don't take anything in the off-season so you don't leave any orphaned babbies.

e: bear in mind you'll need a high powered airgun so buy one at the legal limit and ideally take it to a friendly local gunsmith who doesn't ask any questions, and even then headshots only, and use round headed pellets so you don't overpenetrate

Yeah I'm in Finland and in the countryside so plenty of nature around here. Hunting is quite differently regulated here though. Almost all hunting is done via local hunting clubs and membership to those is almost always tied to living in the area, not an issue for me in other words.

Though recently there's been developments to let rich germans or other people come and pay to hunt a moose. Can't say I muhc like that since hunting in Finland has always been solidly working class.

We also completely ban air rifles of any power for hunting, even for rats and vermin. I have firearms from before, including a few rifles suitable for hunting deer sized game, which is the most likely thing I would hunt as we got too many of the vermin, implanted american vermin to boot.

Wild boar might be migrating here too, but though I always wanted to be like Asterix and Obelix I hope they stay away, dangerous fuckers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The diagrams from Maps of Meaning should be enough to put most sane people off Peterson.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Also in Finland we publish what people make and how much they pay in tax, just happened now. Lots of rich people crying as usual.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think it's very expensive, but I also think it's a horrible waste of money to fly anywhere, because anywhere sucks.

I saved my money, staying put where I am and instead I just bought a milling machine with all that money I did not throw away on flying or similar.

You can travel to most parts of Europe for about £30 if you're fine bring treated like cattle on the way to slaughter for 2-3 hours, that's not expensive. Especially compared to the time it would take to drive or train to Greece or wherever.

Feel like going abroad and experiencing other cultures is a net positive and also a pleasant way to just unwind and chill, but I'm a hypocrite because I've not actually gone further than London since I was 14.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Even ignoring the fact that he's a fascist oval office, Peterson is a predatory fraud, exploiting people's uncertainty about their own intelligence with magnificent horseshit like those diagrams, letting people do all the legwork to come up with some kind of meaningful message about anything and everything before attributing it to him anyway and still feeling as useless and stupid as they did before. He's an exploitative piece of poo poo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/SolHughesWriter/status/1057948600515338241

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Vlex posted:

You can bet the farm that the ban won't be extending to the airport executive lounges.

Protip: if temporarily stranded or with a long (6+ hours) layover, dropping 30-40 quid on entry to the generic lounge is an excellent way of getting sloshed, fed, pampered, and access to great WiFi, and often equivalent in expenditure to eating/drinking elsewhere in the airport for the duration.

100% agree with this - they’re even cheaper if you book online. Somewhere to sit, plug in your laptop and food and booze, and often for the same price as just grabbing an expensive burger & beer.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Even ignoring the fact that he's a fascist oval office, Peterson is a predatory fraud, exploiting people's uncertainty about their own intelligence with magnificent horseshit like those diagrams, letting people do all the legwork to come up with some kind of meaningful message about anything and everything before attributing it to him anyway and still feeling as useless and stupid as they did before. He's an exploitative piece of poo poo.

I think the first diagram is my favourite. It's such a concise summary of how his philosophy is little more than a vehicle for his misogyny.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Darth Walrus posted:

The diagrams from Maps of Meaning should be enough to put most sane people off Peterson.

Yeah that's some straight up time cube poo poo.

lmao right wing 'intellectuals'

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Joseance posted:

So preston is the city where the labour council encouraged all the local institutions to buy from local companies and look whats happened as a result

https://twitter.com/MatthewBrownLab/status/1057786373749592064

I went on a trip that took me through Stoke, Blackburn, Preston and Blackpool last year and it really, really stuck out how pleasant Preston was compared to the others.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Also in Finland we publish what people make and how much they pay in tax, just happened now. Lots of rich people crying as usual.

We should do this and give medals and honorary titles to our highest taxpayers for doing their patriotic duty

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Vlex posted:

I'll be joining you at the wall.

I had a 6 hour wait at Heathrow a couple of years ago and booked a lounge for about £25 and that includes help yourself buffet, tea, coffee, juices, biscuits, newspapers, wifi (though I carry my own mifi around most of the time). Given how much I would have spent skulking round Smiths or Boots confectionary and sandwich emporia I figured it was well worth it.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

How new is this? It has been a matter of public record for years in Norway, and the end of the tax year is always insufferable for 1) rich people bitching, 2) breathless fawning media coverage of how rich rich people are. There was one particularly insufferable year where our biggest tabloid profiled the country's richest young person, and hey guess what, they inherited everything from their scumbag grandfather.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I think the first diagram is my favourite. It's such a concise summary of how his philosophy is little more than a vehicle for his misogyny.

I like that it kind of looks like the plot of dark souls 3.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

how much was made by power metal bands this year

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I like that it kind of looks like the plot of dark souls 3.

*in Kermit voice while lunging at a steak*

"I shall... partake."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

it's really annoying bort deleted that tweet because it's so loving useful