Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Alright, so, our next step on our return to Every Planet is Gren. It's supposed to be in some kinda bad state, but we can just walk into Tropica like it's no big deal. Even the first felin here just welcomes us like normal.

Dobro, on the other hand, is visibly panicking so we'll talk to him to learn that... Gren is on fire?! You'd think that would've been noticable. There's that convenient window in Durum's house and he might very well be back now with Farina.

Just look at this pot. Semolina took such good care of it, but Master Durum smashed it to pieces.

Why would he do something like that? Who knows. Maybe it was too hard for him. It must have reminded him of Farina.

Okay, so, our return trip to Gren ends up being needlessly hard to follow at a few places. Even the game itself here cannot keep track of which of the two girls from before are Semolina and Farina. Farina is the silent one who's creepily obsessed with animals and dead things, and is Durum's daughter and last we saw was dressed like Semolina. Semolina is the one who talks, got thrown to the wolves pirates, is just some kind of house maid or general servant and last we saw was dressed like Farina.

Simple. :v:

(Sitar) I dunno, but I've got this gut feeling that it's the Space Police.
(Lyre) Maybe you're right. What do you want to do? Should we go ask them to arrest him?
(Sitar) No way. You know what they say about the Space Police.
(Lyre) I figured you'd say that.

Yeah, that all-paperwork policy is mighty inconvenient at times like this.

Fortunately, we're right here so let's go take a look-see!

As you can clearly see, this planet is on the verge of destruction at the hands of buffoons.
Where'd this fire come from?
People have always said that this planet

Of course, I don't listen to people. They're morons, all of them. So I came here to see for myself.
And what did I see? This fire. So it seems the gummy will be burnt to ashes along with Yggsalad!
Ta-ta!

So, uh, yeah Abalon Demar just turns up here to talk briefly about the millennium gummy, hate people and then... leave. Yep, that's great.

Let's head deeper into this burning forest then! That can't end badly.

No. No way. It looks like her, yeah, but that's gotta be Farina!
Farina!

My insulation is melting! It's very uncomfortable. It's a bit... gooey. I can't track any humanoids like this.
Let's turn around!

We could run around this area, but the only ways forward are blocked off by, uh, walls of fire. We can't even get to where the healing pot was any more!

Maybe we can follow it to the pirate hideout!

So, this newly open burning path is a very small one-screen long area that has a new enemy that is permanently missable:

Charred Trees are only on this one screen during this one timeframe. They have, uh, very little of note beyond that though. They're Fire elemental and have 1000HP.

I didn't end up using Slippy Oil here, but both still dropped some meat anyway. Yes, their drop is sweet meat. No, don't think about that.

If you're the kind of person who cares enough about this, you'll want to run around here to get one to drop it at some point. Or maybe you won't, because the multiplayer dungeon exclusive enemies (not the figurine bosses, the random encounter enemies) are counted in the bestiary, so you almost certainly will never get to fill it.

Anyway, once we get through the tiny burning path we come to this open area.

The temperature is rising rapidly.

My magic only manipulates what already exists. I can't conjure water out of nowhere.

I'm definitely sensing a deep underground water source.
Forget it, man. There's no way you can put out this huge forest fire with that lame little trickle!
What else are we gonna try?! Give it your best shot, Sorbet!

Unless we want to risk Pico using a controlled flame to help fight the forest fire, this is kinda the best bet we have.

So we'll get closer to the fountain, to be safe, and then let Sorbet get to work!

I did it! The spring was alive!
Way to go!

Beeboo beebee beep! My sensors indicate a water source deep underground. Maybe we can put out the blaze if we tap into it.

That sounds pretty doable. How do we get to it, though? Easy:

Have Mokka get us to it!

That must have made it easier for the water to reach the surface.
You're right! The water is definitely flowing stronger now.
We just need a way to spread the water now!

So we have these five giant water spouts, huh? but we need them to become giant water sprinklers...

Hopefully Lassi can help with this one!

And sure enough, this IS effective too...

On a level that we might not have expected. She was able to spread the water to put out the entire fire! All of it!

It's from now that the Charred Tree stops being around, by the way.

We don't even get a choice of what to do at this point. Chai just takes over and automatically uses his Wild Magic.

...And he's also a lot more successful with that than you'd immediately expect. Just returns the entire planet back to normal.

Fire in the deep of my belly!
Fire in my blazing...

Quit it, you moron! Don't even THINK about it.

Don't worry Pico, if you makes you feel better there was nothing Sugar could do here to help directly either.

Ah well, let's keep going further north since that path's open now.

Ohey, this brings us right to Assam. We still can't get in through the front door, so we'll head up the left path here like before.

Buillon and a bunch of other Salamander are hanging out back here now. They all basically say the same thing but in slightly different ways, though. Something's up with Yggsalad, and that lies just past Assam...

There's even a bit of a welcoming committee for us whe we re-enter Assam.

And they IMMEDIATELY want to throw down. They're, uh, they're still Pirate Otters even if their numbers are bigger again.

They do give a decent-ish amount of EXP and Bira each at least, which is nice.

We don't mean ye no harm!

I... really don't believe you?

Welp, reinforcements means only one thing:

Another fight, this time with 2 red Pirate Otters and their numbers increased as well. That's it. Moving swiftly on!

(Notso Richie) You gotta forgive us!
(Sticky Steve) That be the truth! We're jes' doin' what we were told!

Oh well, if they were just following orders...

...Something about that seems awful familiar. Eh, probably nothing.

Forgive them?

So, this does kinda matter. If we say no, then we just refight the second set of pirates. Not really worth it, though.

Yes.
(Sticky Steve) Thank ye!
(Notso Richie) We owe ya big!

So, we're back in Assam properly now but with a big chance from before:

Pirate otters are just hanging out and it's a functional town!

You go up there. I haven't checked, but I think they be still alive.
You gotta tell us! Are you going to see Bobtail?
Yes.

This seems pretty random, but it's important. Good thing we talked to Randy...

Maybe she got burnt to a crunchy crisp in that blaze?

But everyone be sayin' she went off to the forest.
Maybe it were a stunt double! Harrr harrr harrrr!

We tell 'er that, right, and she scampers off into the forest!

So, in the regular item store there's a Broker hanging out but only at night.

Quick Marty runs the normal store so we'll see what he has for us first.

Mostly he's a good spot to get Raisin Jam if we want some more, and he sells some decent-ish equipment too. The Gorgon Brace is the only one that's a good upgrade for us at this point, though, and I wouldn't buy it from here either. It's +2 Pow and +5 IQ which means it's best for Mokka, especially as far as we care.

So what about Bull? What's he got?

Sugarstars if we want them and then a whole slew of character specific equipment. It's also all incredibly expensive though, jeez. We'll buy a Wreath for Chai and nothing else. It doesn't do anything special but it has +9 IQ and +8% MP Regen which is kinda ridiculous. It's the highest MP Regen increase from any piece of equipment until the post-game. Good job, Chai!

She's the one dishin' the orders around here.
The guys call her "Bobtail" 'cause she won't tell us her name.

But one day she walks into the holy tree. Been living in there ever since. That's when it all started.
She started beating on the otters and the felins. We been doin' her bidding so she'll leave us alone.

What with Master Chard leaving for another planet and us not havin' ta snatch any more wizards.
Arrr...and now this.

I don't wanna even imagine what be goin' on in there.

Out of the two regular houses in Assam, the one we went to before is now empty. Often-But-Not-Always Nick has lost all his friends but he's still not alone at least.

Boo-hoo-hoo...

There's a Spiny Mole here as well, though... not by choice.

Can't do anything about him, though, so let's finally get around to visiting Yggsalad!

Yes.
I can't just be lettin' you through without the password. They'd pile-drive me!
The otters and felins...?

So, yeah, Randy sorta told us the password here which is nice. It was the same meaning, at least, which helps. There's a couple gag answers, but they don't have good enough responses to bother with.

Are buried deep.
Arrrrrrr! Er, I mean YARRRRR! YARRRR may pass!

I'm sure it's fine. Farina is meant to be in Yggsalad, and that's where the Wood millennium gummy may or may not even be. We've got a few reasons to check this place out and we can finally go right to it.

Feels a bit early to be heading to visit the Tree of Mana, but I'm sure not gonna complain about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
pico trying to help out by restarting the forest fire is a great gag

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Venuz Patrol posted:

pico trying to help out by restarting the forest fire is a great gag

He was just caught up in the moment, bless him. It's not a real super student combo unless everyone gets a turn!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Quick Marty and Frequently Nick :allears:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Pico is a good boy, but a dumb one.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So, our next major dungeon is Yggsalad and just looking at that map, it's really not clear how things connect huh? Well, don't worry because that's not even all of it.

Also, it's kind of a bit of a maze. There's many paths we can take right out the gate, but...

Mercifully, the right path to get through it as quickly as possible is always signposted. By a marker otter. So we know exactly where to not go at first, then.

But with three possbible other ones, we'll start with the second vine from the left. I know that seems arbitrary, but...

It shows us the first sort of "gimmick" of the area. Not all the vines even lead anywhere, making the map itself a bit more complex. There's three things that can happen from the vines that just straight up drop, and this one just gave us nothing at all.

That in mind, we'll take the leftmost vine...

Which just leads to a small path and another vine that just immediately drops. And brings a treasure chest with it!

Nicely enough, this one has our first red frog since that one screen on Razen. Unfortunately, that one is technically infinitely respawning.

Anyway, the third vine at the entrance leads to an empty deadend so we'll follow the marker otter.

Which leads to a linear corridor that has another vine with a marker otter by it.

You've probably noticed that the marker otters don't have the amazing names other pirate otters have. That's not because of a lack of ideas, don't worry...

We'll get to that soon enough, though. Right after Carlos we have a fork in the path. That vine visible right there drops and has nothing come from it, so we'll go all the way to the left first.

'Cos that lets us get some new equipment exclusively for Mokka!

+2 Defense and +5 Agility, sadly. Not particularly worth using unfortunately, especially since their added effect is for basic regular attacks. Not completely worthless, but I'm not gonna use 'em here.

So if we double back and go to the right, we come straight to the right path. Robert even implicitly lets us know that their names aren't the result of laziness, but because they're bad at pirating!

That's the pirates way for ya. Give the bad jobs to the people without a good pirate accent!

Past there, we come to the sort-of-Y shaped area on the map. Cliff is obviously by the right path, and the only other path away from here is at the far-south which...

Leads to a singular red worm, and nothing else. Welp.

So, we'll just follow Cliff's path and keep going from there. You've possibly noticed at this point that I haven't bothered to show any new random enemies in the area, but... that's because there are no random encounters.

Since that area is a bit more linear, we'll skip ahead to just this small square room. We came from the vine on the top-right, so we'll head down the one at the bottom for a second.

Mainly because it leads to a new hat... for Chai. Yep.

This sure would be nice if we didn't just buy the Wreath. Loses the rad bonuses that gives for a bit of Spirit. Doesn't even have an added effect. Boring!

Anyway, where were we? We'll just return to the main path and follow that around again.

Y'know, I can't help but notice that, yes, there sure are a lot of leaves lying around inside here.

If we examine one, like you might try at some point...

That gives us a fight against one of two enemies that are in the dungeon! Yes, the leaves are fixed fights which means there's a finite number of these things.

Leafwiches are pretty simple with what they do, really. They just cast either Pepperthorn or Briar Patch and that's, like... it. They're Wood elemental, of course, so Pico can tear through 'em.

Green Frogs are surprisingly rare drops, considering they're green frogs. Yeah, not really even worth dealing with.

Back to the main route we go, then. Pat brings us to... maybe the half-way point, give or take.

Afterwards, the map updates to its second part at least. We'll head on to to the left-most path here first, since you can see a vine there on the map.

Which quickly leads to a room with three chests in it. Didn't expect to find an old Metallica album in here of all places.

...Okay, fine, it's a piece of armor that gives +5 Defence, +5 Spirit. Giving this one to Chai for now, since Chai has so much Spirit even with it dropping here he still has more than anyone else.

The other two chests have 3 jars of melon jam and a free Gorgon Brace. Which is exactly why I didn't bother buying one before, yeah.

Giving this one to Mokka for sure, since he benefits the most from its +2 Power and +5 IQ.

Why? Because you'd be here, lost out of your mind, and we wouldn't be stuck out here to save you!

Doubling back then, we'll come to Janek right here. I've left the map here so you can see the vine on that branch to the right...

There's no marker otter by that one, but both it and the one by Janek lead to the same room. Oh dear.

Anyway, before we worry about carrying on correctly, we'll go to the immediate left from here...

And pick up four more chests. The other 3 chests contain 10 green frogs, 4000 bira and 5 dethorn tails.

Yeah, not great, but we'll just see what's down below this vine then.

Another putty pea and 1800 bira. That's it.

Moving swiftly on, then, we come to another vine leading down and it leads us to...

A third putty pea!

The other chest had 88 bira. Yes, really.

I don't care if I'm not out having fun, stealing loot and giving wedgies to innocent victims!
Maybe I LIKE sitting out here in the middle of nowhere.

Whew boy, okay, so after Nico we've got a giant room with more than a couple vines. Welp, let's get to it then!

And here's how we're starting out here, huh... yeah, the third thing that very rarely drops from vines are battles.

They're just against single Husked Maimais, which have this annoying little spell...

Yeah, Husked Maimai get the ability to give themselves the Shield buff. This makes them... immune to magic.

At least up until they take a cumulative total of damage kept track of internally. Not sure what the exact amount is off-hand though.

These Maimais also aren't really worth going out of your way to fight. Their drop's a blue frog which isn't awful, but those are easier to get elsewhere now.

Rather nicely, Chai picked up his fourth-tier spell from this as well. Parsley Wall, following the trend, gives us access to the Wall buff which grants... immunity to physical attacks (with the same caveat that its broken by negating damage over-and-over again). This is gonna be really useful later, but not-so-much in the immediate future.

Not really anything else in this room of significant note, so we'll just skips around to where Clive's hanging out.

There's a reason why we're all here, hanging out to guide you through...
But I won't tell you what it is. And I'm not making this up either. Hee hee hee.

Well, that's weirdly ominous... but I'm not gonna complain, since they do help with getting through here quick.

Oh wow, Dennis is... an actual pirate?!

I can't be lettin' losers like you just walk in!

This is even easier than the second fight we did to get back into Assam. It's the same, but with only 1 red otter. At least they tried?

I dunno, if Bobtail is who it obviously is, then she can explode immortal beings with a thought. That's kinda overpowered!

We can go into the, uh... "nursery" now, but first there's a vine to our immediate left you may have noticed on the map.

Not only is there a couple of pots here for if you need them, but there's another new piece of armor here as well.

It's Chai only, and it does have the advantage of granting him his immunities at least (even if Thorns and Dizzy is kinda underwhelming overall). Heavy Metal's also now really only usable by Sugar, unless you know ailments aren't gonna be an issue.

Anyway, uh, about that so-called nursery.

At first glance it sure looks like a mass grave, or a bunch of decapitated heads.

Why yes, this game was rated E for Everyone!

Oops.
Did Farina do this? Did she do all this?!

Mercifully the folks here aren't actually dead. Yet.

Are you alive!?
Are you all right!? Hang in there, man!
Ohhh... Ye... be...
They're fine! Looks like they're only buried to their necks.
We've got to help them.
Oh... Ahh... Ugh...
Eh...

Oh hey, Semolina. While you were kidnapped by pirates, it looks like Farina has become... Quite Evil.

Farina?
No, not this time... She must be Semolina.
Was it Miss Farina? Did she... do all this?
It's all right, Semolina. Calm down. Look! Everyone is alive!
Get ahold of yourself, Semolina! Let's help these people!

What did you say about Durum?
Way back there? Is that where he is?

Before we go running back there to see what's going on with Durum, I'm gonna take this moment to give... Sorbet, sure, the +30% bira set. Definitely not Lassi this time because, uh, this is Gren. That sounds like a terrible idea.

I dunno, I just get this hunch that now that we've seen the room of buried, kidnapped people there's an incoming boss fight.

Wheeeeeeze.. wheeze... Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeze... wheeze...

Oh yeah, no, this is totally fine. It's okay that they're only buried. What could possibly be wrong here?

Look! It's Durum!
Pfft... Oh, man. What's he doing here? Fine. I guess we should go save him.

Broke the... pot and... ran away... from home...
Then the pirates... Wheeze... wheeeeze...

They're getting weaker! We've got to save them fast.

Who did this to them?

Something tells me that the question is not "who" but "why?"

Hey, Sugar! Gimme a hand, here!
Yes.
The roots are tangled around my ankle!

...Roots...?

Stupid roots... always tangling stuff...

Suddenly the entire trees shakes...

What now!?
The tree, Pico. It's shaking. The tree. It's SHAKING!

So, show of hands...

...Who expected the boss fight here to be a dreadlocked gigantic monster tree that lives inside the world tree, and gets sustenance by draining the life out of people that Farina buried alive? Anyone?

Stop lying, Kyle, put your hand down.

Holy Sapling

So, yeah, the Holy Sapling is... maybe one of the hardest and longest boss fights in the main game. No, really, that's not a joke. This thing will ruin you if you're not prepared.

It is absurdly, ridiculously fast, has a ton of health, just destroys Lassi because it's using powerful Wood magic (and its using ST versions at that!). And, yes, it is Wood elemental thanks for asking.

In terms of its other skills, the Holy Sapling also likes to use powerful physical attacks.

One that's single target and one that's multi-target. It's single target one is weirdly gross, honestly, huh...

Meanwhile, the multitarget one looks really kinda cool and is pretty effective. It's not super-damaging or anything, but it can add up quick.

Fortunately for us, this thing IS Wood elemental and wouldn't you know it? Pico has the highest natural IQ. Yes, I'm serious.

Unfortunately, it responds to being hit with Fire specifically by spawning a Leafwich. Eh, sure, we can handle those too whatever.

You do get more money and EXP from spawning more Leafwiches if you really want. Notably, the Holy Sapling has 17000 HP, so even with stacking Pico's IQ to crack 7k a hit it takes a while. Mostly because the Holy Sapling is so fast it starts lapping many people but still.

End

Oh good, Farina being here now... and talking for once... isn't going to make this confusing at all.

Aaaaarrrgghhh!

...Semolina...?
Farina!?
Semolina!?

Sob...
Stop playing dumb!
Look at them all!
Everyone in the village!
The otters! Even Master Durum!
They are nothing but skin and bones. They are all suffering!
After everything I told you!

Do my words not reach you?
Ohh...
SOB!
I hate this. I just can't take it any more...

Sniff...
I'm sorry, Semolina. I am so sorry.
Uggh...
Sob... Sob...
Sniffle...
Oh...
Sniffle... Stop crying.
And stop saying you're sorry.
I am so glad I got to see you again. Sniffle...
Oh... Thanks, Semolina. Sniffle... Booo-hooo...
I'm happy you're safe!
So am I!

Well, that was a bit of a sudden mood change, huh...

Huh? A flower?
Whooooa! That flower is so big and pretty!
Uhhh... yeah, I mean, it's OK, I guess...
But there's something eerie about it.

Huh!? Why?

Eek! It slurps, wait... I mean eats people!? Dang it, they've got me saying it!
(Buillon) It's a magical SLURP flower that the SLURP sacred tree produces when it's weak and feeble.

It eats people to make a millennium gummy? That's so cool.. and yet so gnarly and disgusting!
A millennium gummy?

Hmmm... is that so?
Yes. It will also allow us to rescue the wizards

We need it to rescuue the kidnapped wizards. Also it allows us to rescue the wizards that have been kidnapped. Thanks for clarifying, Mokka.

You need it to save everyone?
As soon as we get that gummy, we'll break 'em outta there!

I understand.
What's with you, Semolina?
Someone has to do it, right? Let me. I'll do it.
No! You can't!

Semolina! Stop!
What're you doing?!
Oh, man... that was just gnarly.
(Bisque) SLURP SLURP SLURP!!!

Semolina?! Is this what you've become? This tiny thing?
My Semolina...
Answer me...
Is it you? Semolina! ANSWER ME!

...Well, this was also a swift and sudden mood change.

Oh, Master Durum...
It's Semolia's soul. Please take it.

To say we're halfway done with these now, it feels... wrong, somehow.

Sniff...
Who would have thought it would turn out this way?

Master Durum...
I'm very confused now, Sugar.
Oh, Durum...

My Semolina... I cared so much about your happiness. Now you're dead.
I don't deserve to breathe another breath, and yet it was my life that was saved. What a cruel irony.
I know it might sound harsh, but being sad won't bring her back to life. She's gone, man.
We have got to rescue those wizards from the pirates!
That's what Semolina wanted to do. Let's do it for her!
I know...

And I was always thinking about myself and Farina.
Master Durum...

You can cry until you can't cry anymore, but if you haven't changed, what's the point of all those tears?
Oh, Sorbet...
Please take this. It was Semolina's precious clip. Keep it as a reminder of her.
When you rescue the wizards, I want Semolina to be by your side, even if just in spirit.
It's the only thing I ask.

Awww...
She just got tired.
What did you say?
She didn't have any happiness in her life. And nothing was going to change about that, was it?
Living a life that is just... awful.

It's not like that!
Fighting isn't going to solve anything.
Calm down!
And what about me?! My life hasn't exactly been a party,

On the one hand, I appreciate that (on the whole) the kid's have roughtly the right emotional maturity level.

On the other hand, there's a time and a place for this Sorbet!

How could you think that?
Don't ever say that!
Look, uh... Sorbet...

Don't worry about it. It's cool.
I know I said I never had any fun... But, you know, I'm having a lot of fun just being with you guys.
Just don't go taking off on your own again, all right? We'll always be with you. Always!

Alright, before we leave we should go see how Fari--

...Oh. The more things change, I guess...

Let's just, uh, get out of here before Farina sees the hair clip.

Those pirates caught a spiny mole who can use magic.

I'm trying to get his story, but the fella won't stop cryin'. What am I supposed to do?
Sob... Sob...
I'd feel a little bad if he just sat here and cried. You wanna take him back to erd?
Yes.
Great! Thanks for your help.
I can go home now? Seriously?

Guess Erd's our next stop, then.

If they're really gonna continue escalating how dark they are, I can only imagine what we're gonna see there...

Ah well, how bad could it be?

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 22, 2019

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Clearly, the next planet is guest-written by Yoko Taro.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I knew about Semolina sacrificing herself to create a gummy beforehand, but not in great detail. Not even which one.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The Book of the Darned has darned everyone to heck.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Ah yes, depression-induced suicide. This is what we need in our rated E for Everyone game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Materant posted:

Ah yes, depression-induced suicide. This is what we need in our rated E for Everyone game.

I mean, you gotta talk about it somewhere. E doesn't mean you can't tackle heavy subjects. And it's not like she's gonna inspire copycat suicides in the real world.

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

That's right, embrace the cute. Embrace it. You know you want to.
Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, that took a sharp turn. :magical: I mean, I didn't expect things to stay goofy and lighthearted, especially what with the kidnappings and such, but sheesh. On the other hand, now I'm morbidly curious as to what the other two gummies are gonna require.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Music Junkie posted:

Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, that took a sharp turn. :magical: I mean, I didn't expect things to stay goofy and lighthearted, especially what with the kidnappings and such, but sheesh. On the other hand, now I'm morbidly curious as to what the other two gummies are gonna require.
Maybe I've been tainted by LPs of other games, but I have this weird notion that it's just going to be this one gummy that requires sacrifice, making Yggsalad completely tonally dissonant with the rest of the game.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

This hits hard, but there's so much else about the Farina and Semolina subplots that goes unstated or under the radar. I think it's worth taking a look back at how exactly this came about...

* On the planet Gren, there are two dominant peoples. Felins and Salamanders. Felins seem to pander to tourists, while Salamanders are anti-civilization nature lovers.
* The Felins are led by Durum, who is a jerk. His household consists of himself, his daughter Farina, and two servants - Semolina and Apitos.
* Farina is admired for her beauty, but no one notices the real her. Except maybe Semolina. Farina seems to have an odd view of the world - though it's hard to tell, as she seldom talks. She has ludicrously powerful magic, but Semolina's guidance helps keep her a harmless eccentric.
* Farina's pet frog dies, and Semolina uses the corpse to fertilize a potted plant. Farina fixates on this, and starts imitating this with dead animals she finds in the woods. Odd, but she isn't hurting anyone...
* Pirates show up and take over the salamanders' town near Yggsalad. The pirates are after wizards for some reason. There are quite a few felin wizards even if you don't count Farina, so Tropica can put up a decent fight.
* Being an inexplicable jerk, Durum hands over all Tropica's wizards except Farina. This leaves them almost defenseless against continued pirate attacks.
* The party shows up, fends off the pirate's immortal monster, and Farina outs herself delivering the coup-de-grace.
* Durum and his household are banished into the woods to mull things over and repent. Being an inexplicable idiot, he instead decides to turn one of Farina and Semolina's games deadly by having them switch clothes and handing over Semolina to the pirates as a wizard. Surely, this will redeem him in the eyes of his people!
* Inexplicably, the Felins do let Durum and "Semolina" back into their house. They sure don't like him though, and Durum stews in resentment.
* The real Semolina sees more of the pain the pirates are inflicting on the wizards from her position as a prisoner, but is left behind to be rescued when they realize she's useless to them. Together with Detective Beignet, she gets a decent review of the state of the solar system and the party's goals.

* Meanwhile, Farina (still disguised) takes to wandering the woods again. Pirate remnants attack her, but as they're no threat they end up making her their leader - of a sort. They call her "Bobtail."
* In a fit of anger, Durum breaks Farina's favorite potted plant, which she'd been burying things in. This drives a wedge between them...
* Farina-as-Semolina-as-Bobtail stumbles into Yggsalad and finds the Holy Sapling. With a happy gasp she realizes what she must do. A plant that size needs a lot of fertilizer...
* (Also, this probably makes her a dark Messiah fulfilling a Salamander prophesy or something. Who knows.)
* Farina has Felins and Pirate Otters used as fertilizer for the Holy Sapling. She doesn't kill anyone, but it's far from comfortable for them as the life is drained from them.
* This includes Durum, who's starting to realize that he's been a bad father...
* The planet Gren almost burns down (This probably affects Yggsalad and the Holy Sapling somehow), but the party fixes it up better than new!
* The party investigates rumors of Bobtail and the Wood Gummy, and ends up killing the Holy Sapling. Or not...
* Farina is enraged by the death of her plant and pounces on Sugar, but Semolina slaps some sense in her. Semolina is fed up with this shabby treatment and cruel world, but an apology and hug from Farina indicate that things might be looking up in the future...
* But Farina's efforts have led to the creation of an anthropophagous flower linked to Yggsalad. As the Salamanders are nice enough to explain, it can recreate the Wood Millennium Gummy that was consumed by Yggsalad ages ago, but a sacrifice must be made...
* Of all the people who live on Gren (and aren't currently stuck in the sun), Semolina has the strongest awareness of the stakes - how much pain the captured wizards are in, how capable the party is if they can get the gummies - and enough depression and frustration to volunteer. No one has the presence of mind to stop her.
* Somehow, this is the straw that broke the camel's back for Durum. He's lost someone he knows well, and this time he's face to rune with the consequences.
* Durum knows he made a mistake somewhere, but can't figure out where as he thinks back to all the times Semolina wasn't a priority. Sorbet, who is also suffering from depression, tells him to shut up and become a better person already.
* Farina's thoughts, as always, are her own.

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 12, 2019

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Yeah, so that chapter explains how I forgot about the Water People on the Cassia! :stare:

Farina's such an odd character, some of the stuff she does makes it seem like she's an unrepentant sociopath (like, I kinda feel she was telling Semolina what she wanted here at the end there, not that she meant it), the rest makes her seem like she has a mental issue and Durum's trying to ignore it to both their detriments.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 13, 2019

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, there's something about Farina's behavior that really scans as a mental issue to me, and she may not even be aware that she was doing is wrong until the one person who actually gave a real drat about her yells at her.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Alright, so Erd is next up on our return round trip and Jack just runs off to Peatmoss once we land. No point in following him, though.

Oh and I nearly forgot! We got some new gloves from the Holy Sapling.

They're only usable by Chai but they have one of the more unusual added effects along with +10 IQ and +3 Spirit. Healing items restore double and even attack items do double damage as well for good meaure. Doesn't affect buffs/debuffs etc. though, but they're more than good enough as is.

Anyway, just a little off-screen there's a mole and a robot just hanging out.

While you were away, we buried the shovel with the robots. In fact, I just bought a gummy from this guy!

Sharp made it seem like a genuine improvement on the part of the robots. P2801 here makes it sound more like just opportunism, since the pirates have moved on.

Plus side is that we can go south from here now, so we'll do just that.

'Cos that leads us right to Rio Villa.

Erd is an odd place for that, since there's a Rio Villa that's a nature park in Texas and a Rio Villa Beach Resort in California.

Also, yes, it's a proper anagram for once. It's "ravioli," with a spare "L" left over.

Being a robot village, there are none of those useless fleshy meatbags hanging around here.

That also, unfortunately, means they don't really have cool pun names. There is still a bit of a naming scheme, but it's not a fun.

Our estimations calculate that it runs dry every ten years. Emerald Core can provide more information.

Emerald Core knows all relevant information.

Yes.
Emerald Core can answer your query.

Since the rest of the bots are all inside, we'll take this moment to break up all the talking with... some shopping!

There's plenty of stuff here to buy. Comsat Dishes are just Arrays with with 1 more IQ. Buying 3 of these, then, and 2 Quartz Lenses for good measure. They give less IQ than the cheaper Demon Braces, but they make up for it by not having an MP Regen penalty. Quartz Lenses are +9 IQ, whereas Demon Braces are +2 Power, +10 IQ and -2% MP Regen.

There's other stuff on the next page too, but after getting 2 Quartz Lenses to replace the Platinum Rings we're outta money again.

We'll skip over robots H, I and J for now. J is... kinda the mayor, I guess.

When we run out of gummies, we will move on to another planet and make more.

You might have gotten the reasonable presumption before now that Emerald Core was a bit more important, and they are. It's just... they're in a different, more normal building.

Y'know, the other one. There's only four buildings here at all, and two are the store and inn.

J9100 gives us the password to get to visit Emerald Core. It's not really all that hard to remember, since you can just remember the first characters and not have any problems.

So, the other regular residence is naturally next on our list then.

Yes.
Beep. Access code required. J9100 issues the access codes.

We're way ahead of you there, bud. That odd machine in the corner is something we can't interact with, so we'll just go to the door off to to the left.

We just have to repeat the passcode we got from J9100. It's six inputs in a row, and they don't even change positions or anything.

Compyoo...ter?
It's a robot that remembers information and can think for itself.
Like a robot? Can it move?
No... It can't. Not like me. It just sits there. But it's really, really smart.
Unlike you, eh, Mokka? Ooooh, burn!

So, yeah, the Emerald Core is just a database. There's even a woman's face in lieu of an actual portrait.

There's only two categories of information to read through, and each one has two specifics subjects contained therein. We do have to read all four before we can do anything else.

Robotics > Program Pattern

The robots gather materials and process them to create more robots, thereby allowing for optimal population control.

Robots are also programmed to engage in economic activities with nearby life-forms to achieve goals. They are also equipped with formidable self-defense capabilities.

Robots maintain their own battery cores. When their batteries run low, robots begin producing battery cores on their own. The manufacture of battery cores is based on data that has been collected by previous models, thus ensuring battery efficiency.

Robotics > Energy System

Artificial Gummies > Crystallization

These vaporized gummy molecules quickly dissolve in carbonated water.

When light magic pressure is applied to vaporized gummy molecules, they form organic tissues and begin to crystallize. Natural gummies mainly nucleate around microbes and natant microorganisms when they crystallize.

Crystallization properties change according to the core, and atypical ones behave like living organisms.

Artificial Gummies > Creating Gummies

The crystal becomes unstable when the crystalline nucleus is small. This is important, because if it's too big, the crystal quality deteriorates dramatically.

Human life-forms with magical abilities make the best crystalline nucleus for an artificial gummy.

That... that is an incredibly creepy and ominous last sentence. I'm sure it's nothing, though.

Say huh-what?
If I switched the even numbers with odd numbers...
What? Is it a secret code?

I did run that binary through a translator, and it came out as "ãSQ". So, uh, yeah nothing interesting there.

Gulp!
Sorry... That made no sense.

As odd as that was, there's nothing else to do here so we'll just leave and see what else there is that's new around here.

Mokka isn't here! He must be inside. Let's go back for now!

What's up, Mokka?
Whoa. You're not looking too hot there, chief!

But security there is way tight!
Beep. Battery has lost its charge. Recharge at Kahve Ruins.
Oh, forget it. This robot is useless.
How are we gonna fix Mokka?
Charang. Beep. I can transfer a minimal battery charge.
Really? Thanks!
Beep.

Let's just say they do.

We could just warp on over to Where The Stars Sleep and get there quicker, but that's... boring. We'll just leave Rio Villa to the right for a hot second.

Mainly because of this guy. We're not gonna walk all the way to the Kahve Ruins, but... the remnants of an airport sound interesting. Let's go check it out.

So, this airport is a very large, open area. There's a lot of chests on this screen, especially since...

We've managed to time this perfectly to get all three mysterious chests here. The other chests here aren't necessarily as worthwhile - the one hidden behind the textbos here is only 300 bira, for example.

There's not really much left dotted around the area, though. There's some worms, a bit of a runway and... this is an air traffic control comm tower. Huh.

More important for us, though, is this wonderful accessory.

Naturally, it's only for Mokka but it gives him +3% MP Regen and +2 Defense, which is okay. More important is that "strengthens aura" effect which is incredibly vague. What it means, is that whenever Mokka has Aura, he automatically gets Pow Up, IQ Up and the Trance buff. Trance doubles MP Regen, and the only way to get it normally is by... using a Sugarstar in combat.

Near this downed plane, we can find another piece of equipment for Mokka.

+8 IQ and +4 Defense is a pretty great boost, but it's also very unique in that it replaces Mokka's Guard action with Cross Guard. It's just a much more improved Guard, reducing damage received by 90% instead of 50%.

There's some bean pops around here too, and they're along the runway which is kinda clever I guess.

Oh, and there's a putty pea here as well. Of course there is.

Since we're in the area, we'll briefly head off to the east right quick. We're not gonna go all the way along here, but there's a couple of things here to pick up.

A couple tails that cure petrification are nice, but we could've bought those at Rio Villa as well. More worthwhile is that mysterious chest, since its the last one on Erd.

Well, that and it has an accessory that's only usable by... Sorbet?!

It has +2% MP Regen, which is pretty good. It also gives Sorbet Spr Up and Trance when she has Aura. Not as good as the Mole Tail then, but it's still very much worth using.

Okay NOW we can warp over to Where The Stars Sleep and walk straight up to the Kahve Ruins.

We're coming with you!
Beeep beeep beeep. Associates detected. Posted to the dtabase. Permitting entry.

You might reasonably expect this to be our requisite dungeon, but you'd be wrong there. There's nothing at all in the parts of the ruins we've been to before, so we can finally enter the central door in front of the entrance.

Which it turns out is less of an elevator than you might've expected. The door on the left here is clearly locked, so we'll go through the one on the right.

I... was not expecting to see all this gummy goo lying around here. It's pretty creepy, all told.

Especially since some of it has very familiar and distinct shapes!

The gummies here are shaped like humans?

No... No way. These things were people!?

Ohey Rogan Josh, didn't expect to see you here again!

Rogan Josh! What are you doing here?

Allow me to explain what you see here. Thousands of years ago, yogart gurus traveled back and forth to Nova.
Some traveled here searching for us in hopes that we had a gate to the light planet.
When they found none, their travel was attempted by twisting the dimensions themselves.
They say gummies are the energy source for this attempt. This place is where they made artificial gummies.
The Espressos mass-produced robots and automated them for the task of making gummmies. This is the result.
Oh... Oh, no...

Once these gummies were plentiful, but now few remain.
Every ten days, another robot's battery is running out of energy.
As a result, the cores are being devoured by the robots at an increasing rate.
Then what will happen when there are no more gummies left here? Will the robots all just... run down?
The robots will hunt for more materials to make new gummies when their supply runs low.

A distributed whatsit?!
A network, used to communicate across the great reaches of space. Five, ten years... Perhaps as early as a year from today...

What?!

Now that sounds like a potential hook for a 3rd game on the 3DS or Switch or something. Shame that it'll never actually happen.

Does that include me?
They say no robot can escape this fate.

Since Mokka's battery charger is somewhere in here, we'll take this opportunity to talk to everyone and look around the room proper.

Not much we can do. Let's get the recharging out of the way and forget about what we saw here.

Check this out, Sugar. I think it's that machine that charges batteries! Can I get a woo woo?

Is it OK if I... recharge my battery?
No.
Gee. Thanks. Careful, you almost knocked me out with the power of your friendship. Don't strain yourself there.

It is said the gummies here contain as much energy as a million tons of coal.
This place contains value greater than any gold mine.
If these gummies are stolen, every robot in the Baklava system will go berserk.
This is the armageddon of which Craaken spoke. It is inevitable.
But that's just stupid. I know we can stop it!
You got an idea, Sorbet?
If the sun is reborn, everything will be new again.
You are thinking... No...
Look, if we can save Miss Madeleine and prevent a war at the same time, don't you think we should do it?
We should do just what Craaken said and renew the sun!
That's just impossible.
It is a fantasy, nothing more.

Along with that, there's three chests dotted around the room. Yet-another-putty pea is a good one, just as a matter of course, and the other two are 3 red worms and 5 blue frogs. Pretty okay, really.

Yes.
You're going to have to give me a hand, Sugar.

It's not here.
Naw. I don't think they'd leave it just sitting here.
So what? Even if it's not here, there's probably something LIKE a millennium gummy here!
The earth millennium gummy... Yes, that is something I know a thing or two about.
But it is not wise for us to dally here. Let us go now.

Seems like we're definitely done here, then. Best just head on out...

Although, the other door on the first floor is now open. Hmm..

That just lets us go up to the third floor again. The thing that looks like a door here, over on the left, is... not at all a door.

Just gonna give Lassi the +30% Bira set again, for uh... reasons. And stack IQ on Sugar as best as we can.

More relevant is that we're left with the other conspicuous part of the room.

It's seriously creepin' me out!
This can't be good.

L...
P...

Gummy Girl

Bam, optional boss outta nowhere! Meet the Gummy Girl, an easily missed boss fight that's just... kinda here. No real major indicators that she's here, but she sure is.

So, first things first, she's Dark elemental so this seems like it should be Sugar's time to shine and it kinda is. Sadly, she's stuck using her tier 2 spell, whereas Pico and Mokka were using tier 3. This shows a pretty notable difference in damage at this point.

Like, I think Gummy Girl even has lower Spirit than the past couple of bosses since non-weaknesses are able to crack 4 digits easy, without buff stacking.

Unlike the previous couple, she's also not incredibly, disgustingly fast. She's decently speedy, but not to the point of it being significantly noticable.

Even her MT physical attack isn't particularly all that damaging.

She does have an ST one as well, of course.

Which does a fair bit more damage. That 235 is what's leftover
after she broke the Wall. In one shot. Yikes!

But that's not her worst ability. Nah, instead that honor goes to Glamor Shot, her unique MT Dark spell.

It's decently strong-ish, and seems to Curse somewhat often but what makes it worse is its other effect. It completely rearranges your party formation!

So mean.

The Gummy Girl has 22,000HP, but she's not really any stronger than the Holy Sapling and is noticably more fragile. At least she gives us the fifth and final piece of the Sage set, so we can get 200% EXP for someone every now and then.

And hey, since we have it right quick:

• Sage Hat: +1 IQ;
  • Sage Band: +1 Power; +1 IQ;
  • Sage Robe: +1 Defense; +1 Spirit
  • Sage Shoes: +1 Agility
  • Sage String: +1 IQ
  • Set Bonus: -6 Power; -6 IQ; -6 Defense; -6 Spirit; -6 Agility; +100% EXP

Yes, you're reading that correctly. It actively reduces your stats. I get that they might think you need some kind of drawback, but since the EXP effect is only for the wearer it already inherently has one.

Oh well, Lassi managed to get her tier 4 spell outta this and it gives folks Heal. Heal passively regens their HP, so it's pretty good even if it feels like the duration is a bit on the short side of things.

End

Now...
I...
can...
sleep...

Our other reward for this is a card that we can't do anything with here. It has a use back in Rio Villa, so we'll use it once we get back there. Speaking of which, we're definitely done here so we should head on back and see if we can find where Rogan Josh has gotten off to!

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 30, 2019

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

Is it OK if I... recharge my battery?
No.
Gee. Thanks. Careful, you almost knocked me out with the power of your friendship. Don't strain yourself there.

lol

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Honestly, if it didn't seem somewhat spoilery, I'd suggest it as the new thread title.

Also, were there any people from Cavia involved in this? 'Cause dang, son. :psyduck:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Commander Keene posted:

Maybe I've been tainted by LPs of other games, but I have this weird notion that it's just going to be this one gummy that requires sacrifice, making Yggsalad completely tonally dissonant with the rest of the game.

Ahahahaha

AHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, how many games have two completely separate genocides? I mean what the hell Brownie Brown :stare:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"Maybe the people who got turned into gummies weren't aware of it...oh hey boss fight of a tortured soul driven insane by the process of becoming a battery for genocidal robots, how are you?"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Eh, restarting the sun is just a day at the beach for RPG protagonists. We'll be fine.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Bellmaker posted:

Ahahahaha

AHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, how many games have two completely separate genocides? I mean what the hell Brownie Brown :stare:
I've been proven wrong.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Well this is a pretty dark take on the Sorcerer's apprentice. Remember kiddies, when you set a bunch of autonomous beings to task, remember to give them end states!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Nothing good ever comes from bad coding

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Slaan posted:

Nothing good ever comes from bad coding

The scary part about this statement isn't that it's true, it's that every programmer knows there's no such thing as good code.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Genetic code is also terrible so that seems legit.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

p

Well, I guess it's about time for these guys to show up. They managed to arrive just as we were done in the Kahve Ruins. Maybe we shouldn't have taken a sidetrip to visit the tortured soul of someone who was murdered and turned into a gummy by killer robots.

(2) Of course. They're here!
(1) Excellent. We'll begin the search immediately.

As you can see, the only thing that remains is the chamber of cursed gummies.

Huh, guess Rogan Josh didn't get that far either. Must've been waiting for us, so he can tell us about the millennium gummy.

Shallot?
It has been said that he is a brownie. This planet has been inhabited by his people for many long ages.
A brownie, huh? OK. Where is he?
There is one last stone giant remaining, and it is with this giant that Shallot travels now.
A stone giant? And just where are we s'posed to find him?
The answer is not known to me. You have no choice but to seek him out on your own.

Well, we might be able to reasonably guess where Shallot is. Just in case, we should head on over to Rio Villa right quick though.

After all, there's some space troopers hanging around now. Only two have dialogue, though.

(2) Are you serious? Pshhh pshhhh pshhh... There'll be blood everywhere, pshhh pshh...

(2) What I really want to eat is... Pshhh pshhhhh pssshhh... donut pshh pshhh...

(1) Brie Pourri... pssshhh pshhhh pshhhhh.... is such a pssshhh pshhhh pshhhhh....
(2) What's up with her hair pssshhh pshhhh... Does she dye it pssshhh pshhhh pshhhhh...

Honestly, I think the Space Police need better radios than some guy's old walkie-talkies. Signal is this bad and they're right next to each other, I swear.

Still better than the others in the area who don't even say anything. They just let their fists do the talking.

They're not big on communication. Sr. Patrolmen are just like regular Policeman except... senior. They have bigger numbers. They're still Light elemental, like all nameless cops.

They're not worth a lot of money and have no drops. They have 2200 HP which is kind of a lot for a random goober, but they're fairly common from this point onward so whatever.

So we'll just visit the Emerald Core and use that access card. It lets us get to the personal files belong to that poor "gummy girl," Applepie.

And by personal files, I mean her diary. There's 12 entries in this thing, so...

Page 1

It's a lot different than Puffoon. I look up at the sky, and I feel like I'm going to be sucked up. It's almost like I could just fly away here.

Page 2

Stupid Calzone insisted that I talk to the moles. He definitely overestimated my psychic abilities. I'm no psychic slouch, and I still can't communicate with them!

Page 3

Robots are already running wild everywhere. Is it really safe to let them run rampant? I understand their four-year plan is improving robotic AI.

Four-year plan... That means I can't go back to Puffoon for four more years!

Page 4

Dr. Calzone started the beta version, but he's bummed because management hasn't given him the green light. I'm getting worried about him.

Page 5

Dr. Calzone used to make fun of PSI abilities, but nobody doubts their potential now. I wonder if the test will go well or not. Some people were excited to see ashes and flower petals falling. But they wouldn't tell me what had really happened. That made me a little sad.

Page 6

Do they have a clue that they're conducting "tests on twisting and bending space"? I'm not so sure. I don't quite get what the techs are thinking.

I other news, I hear people and money have become scarce back home. I wonder if my folks are doing OK.

Page 7

You see, when they decided to send me here, I said good-bye to my parents as if it were my last chance to say it.

And I forgot to mention this, but I don't think the moles want us here. I'll sit down and get their story if I get more time to go out.

Page 8

What's left now is to wait for approval from back home and start mass production.

I had a dream this morning. I left my body and flew over to Puffoon. I saw my parents there. But I cried a little when I woke up, because they didn't notice me.

Page 9

Either leave the planet or cross swords with the brownies. But that's not something that either Dr. Calzone or I can decide.

Page 10

Dr. Calzone has been gone for a while. I guess the plant is undergoing a major renovation. I'm spending days testing the amped PSI abilities. My own abilities have been on the rise, too.

I used to be an average girl back when I was on the planet, except for, you know, my telekinesis skill. That made me a little weird. But now I can move battle tanks with my mind! I don't know how I feel about it.

Page 11

They say the brownies are about to launch an all-out attack. I see several rock giants watching over the plant. Will the plant fall into the hands of the brownies?

I'm happy to go back to Puffoon, but I don't want to leave some weird grudge behind. I'll be back here, anyway. What would be the point of being able to move a battle tank with my mind back on Puffoon? I'd be a circus freak.

Page 12

Dr. Calzone! Where are you!? You are logged in, right!?

I smashed eight of the latest models. I'll wipe them out again if they show up. How many are there?

Dr. Calzone! Anyone! Please answer me! Come quickly!

Well, that quickly went and became a note from a survival horror game. :stare:

Anyway, nothing here about Shallot speciically. Guess we should just go back to the airport ruins then, since that's the only real area we haven't been to for plot stuff yet.

Oh, convenient! We need to head back to the Twisting Hills, then...

...and the exit there is blocked by some cops.

They're just Sr. Patrolmen like in Rio Villa, except there are three of them at once. Yep, that's it.

Sir, yes, sir! They're children, sir! But they are powerful magicians, sir!
Magnus Muzzleflash laughs at those who fear common children--even magical ones! Magnus Muzzleflash shows children no mercy!
I have your orders!
Sir, yes, sir!
You four men hold them, and Magnus Muzzleflash will bring them down! HAHA!
Roger that, sir!

So, we'll just head on along the Twisting Hills like before, though this time we'll keep going past the Mysterious Chest...

We're on your side! Don't shoot!
I'm low on ammo... but I'm Magnus Muzzleflash! MY shots never miss!
Aggggghhh! Retreat!

Well, guess we're not quite gonna throw down with this guy just yet after all. Did seem a bit too early, so I'm okay with that.

What did you just say, Mokka?
You were just fine, but then you went all ragebot for a second!
Are you sucking down some bad electricity or something!?
You're not looking so hot, Mokka!

What... am I doing?
What do YOU think you're doing!?
You lost your mind right after you touched that door.
Door?

What did you do, Mokka!?
I have no clue.

He opened the door to this... whatever it is. Let's just see what's inside.

It's... a giant drill?!

A flying machine? So it can really fly?
This thing!? Fly? Hah!
Hm... Maybe that big spiral thingy catches the wind and makes it fly?

Sure, that sounds like a great plan to me...

So let's give it a whirl!

It's spinning all right, but will it fly?
Booo! If you don't trust me, then you can stay behind, Sorbet! But you better hop on before the wind dies!

The Spinning Flight Machine

So, turns out that not only does this totally-not-a-drill really fly and take off...

It does so in a
very brief FMV! Why? Who knows, but it looks cool.

Oh yeah and there's a stone giant just like lumbering around. You might've seen it in the background a couple times.

...But we're flying right at it. Maybe this thing is a weapo--

End

--and with a prompt crash landing, we've made it Uponisbak and the flying machine is gone. Welp, so much for that.

That was kinda rough, huh?

As much as I would be upset about not getting to see this, the locals here make up for it.

But I just hit myself in the chest, and everything went back to normal.
I can't really see straight.
You're all fine. Let's go, people. We've got work to do.
I'm trying to think positive, but nothing is coming up.

Whassa Matawidya is not a sentient plug socket, despite how they look. No, they're a pyrite and are (along with the Traveling Putty and maybe Mokka) the only things to be in both games in the series and turn up in Super Smash Bros Brawl as a normal trophy.

Also there are like 20 of them in this tiny town and they are all amazing. You thought pirate names were good? Pyrites beat 'em.

(Whassa Matawidya) What's that?
(Pheelin Innafunk) What are those things?
(Shunna Dunnit) Not too sure.
(Whassa Matawidya) Well, whatever.
(Pheelin Innafunk) Oh, well.
(Shunna Dunnit) All clear, folks! Take it easy.
(Whassa Matawidya) Wow!

(Whassa Matawidya) Hey, you can use this thing now! Skeeeeeeeeep badabada badoooweee WOW!
Hommina-homina-billy-stip-fwee!

Yeah, so Uponisbak has a free Pizza warp on it. We don't have to give him a Sugarstar or anything. We can just warp here now.

Anyway, there's A LOT of Pyrites to talk to so let's do just that. All of 'em. I'm not missing any.

Listen, you gotta get me outta town!
Yes.

Their names and that they occasionally talk by scatting is a big part of it, but a smaller part is that... we can take them with us. They're ostensibly meant to be used as accessories (+1% MP Regen and +1 Spirit) or sold for a decent chunk of change... but why would we? That's just cruel.

We'll sell all but one, so we can show it the universe.

Well, guess what? You can take me with you. Then you won't have to STARE like some kind of slack-jawed yokel! What do you say?
Yes.

For what it's worth, there is no dialogue with saying no to any of them so there's no point.

Oh and they want to be sold. So that they can eat people. Uhh, we'll just ignore that.

Yes.

Yes.

You're a long way from home. How about you talk us with you? Sniff sniff... you smell that? Is that, uh... Is that me?
Yes.

Yes.

Y'know, my dad was the first one in the world to detect radio waves. Cool, right?
Why don't you tke me along with you. Maybe that'll cheer you up.
Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

You're some kind of FREAK! Just colossal! Oh, no, I mean... freakishly awesome! Yeah.
You should pick me up and take me with you.
Yes.

Yes.

Prolly thinks he's all better'n me. You know what I say? Bring it! He does NOT want a piece of this, know what I'm saying?
Fine. Whatever. I'll roll with you. You got my back?
Yes.

Yes.

What I really want to say is... Bling dong wamma jamma!
Yeah, so, how about we get a cup of coffee and get out of this rock pit.
Yes.

Get freeeeaky! Wanna hang out?
Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

What's so wrong about chillin'? Gosh. It's cool. Just sell me or something.
Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I'll just go with one of them.
Yes.

And that makes all of the pyrites... in Uponisbak. There are some that aren't hanging around this small village, but they're not as common.

For what it's worth, they had the same general disposition in Magical Vacation as far as I can tell, considering they spoke exclusively via hiragana.

But now we have go and enter the giant to find Shallot. Let's do just that then!

Oh no, it's the fuzz!

Awwww... c'mon. Don't make me beg. Just let me arrest you! I promise, it'll be FUN!
No, no... you don't want our superior to get involved! C'mon, pleeeeeeeease?

Whaaaa?! Who does he think he's aiming at? Does he even know we're here?
Let's go!

Sure is a good thing that Magnus Muzzleflash has awful aim and is more than willing to help us out (by being a terrible shot)!

Well, let's go then. Shallot awaits!

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 20, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This update has some serious mood whiplash. :allears:

I'm hoping that Magnus Muzzleflash has a change of heart and starts trying to help us, at which point we have to fight him to keep him from bombing us all the time.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

MAGUS MUZZLEFLASH

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Leraika posted:

MAGUS MUZZLEFLASH

As soon as he calibrates his pecs we're all so doomed you have no idea.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Guywho Sezwaddup doesn't actually say waddup.

I feel cheated. :colbert:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Now that we're inside our dungeon du jour, I should point out that it's... really not all that long honestly. We'll be through it rather quick, all things considered.

Anyway, we could go either way here according to the map. Might as well go left first!

For the most part, the real name of the dungeon is the Path of Five Organs. That's displayed more as an area within the dungeon, but... well, every area (save one) has that moniker so it's basically just the real dungeon name.

There's a few Pyrites hanging around inside here as well. Naturally we won't be skipping any of them either.

What, you don't know where the secret passage party is?
No.
But you should, uhhh, go buy something. If you know what I'm saying. And I'm saying, go buy something if you want to party!
Diddly widdly wedelee weeeeeeeee!

Well, the good news is that the map here showed us that this part of the area is somewhat symmetrical, so if we head around to the same part on the opposite side...

Sure enough, there's a merchant over here but they leave something to be desired.

Like I don't just mean their selection. That is notably appalling too, mind, but Sellza Lowdajunc does nothing to help us find this rad party! Lyxta Parrdee doesn't either, the rude jerk.

Oh and if you're a monster, you can sell pyrites for 1600 bira a pop. They want to be sold, but it's still kinda rude to just do that. Especially when you sell 'em to another pyrite. I sold all but one.

Anyway, on the map for that room you probably noticed the entrance along the bottom path. We'll go through there and find our way to the... Path of Five Organs. I told ya.

Now that we're here, let's take a moment to meet the interesting new enemies. Like the Sheepdevil's older, more powerful brother...

The Weed Devil.

There's also sentient berries that cast Heat Fondu. Notably, they always appear in the back row so they get the MT version.

It just summons a giant fire dragon to attack everyone. It's kinda cool but we've very little reason to ever put Pico in the backrow especially for a 70MP spell.

Clodlings are an annoying, but interesting, idea. If you hit them, they divide.

And then just to be really annoying, they divide again from there. Unless you kill 'em, obviously.

This dude, the Elder Dragon, has an interesting quirk as well. He usually comes with a Clodling, and if it gets to split (once or twice) then the dragon can...

Devoure all of it at once for a stat boost and a full heal. Yeesh.

It doesn't help it much but still.

Throughout here is when Sorbet finally got her tier 4 spell, which grants Shield. As you may recall from before, this grants immunity to damage from spells (up to a point).

Weed Devil is the best enemy, though. Also there are more pyrites here.

Don't you want to carry me around and get hugs whenever you want? It'll be extra special!
Yes.

Yes.

There's a couple of chests dotted around the area as well, but they're just money or some items that aren't super noteworthy unfortunately.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Once we're done collecting even more pyrites, we'll make our way to a room with like a bunch of chests out in the open. Oh and the giant shakes a bit.

It feels like a bombing raid. The giant is getting pounded.
Aggghhh! What's going on!?
Everything has always got to end up shaking. I hate shaking!
The Space Police are attacking the giant! We've got to hurry!

Sure, we can hurry but there's also some items to get here first! There's 2 putty peas just... right there. Geez, they're everywhere now. There's also a set of 3 Thunder Bombs, 1 jar of Berry Jam (Pow Up), an Ice Cube (...yes, really), 1200 bira and 3200 bira. All very exciting.

Beyond there we just climb a rope for a bit and we're now inside the giant's skull.

Wow, that was easy.

He's sleepy? At a time like this?!

So, Shallot is here but is fast aleep. What if we examine that mysterious egg?

And a robot, as well... Ha-hum...

Huhwhat?! The giant dude said something!

Ho.. ho... ho... ho... Why so surprised? I should be the one who is surprised.

Visitors, Tektos? Hmmmm!

We're looking for the millennium gummy.
I see. The millennium gummy, eh? For what?
We gotta go to the light planet to rescue our teacher!
So you need it for the etheralization process.
Yep! What you just said!
Do you have any concept of where Nova is?
No.

It's sorta been implied a few times and Grenadine did tell us before but...

You'll never get there unless you abandon your flesh-and-blood bodies.

No. No, no, no. You must alter your body temporarily so that the searing heat of the sun doesn't incinerate you.
You will transform from flesh and blood to a mere thought. From thought, to raw emotion. From emotion, to spirit.
You will need five fully mature gummies to fuel this proces.

Precisely. You've done your homework. In fact, it was Craaken who coined the word. He always was a showoff.
Hah. You talk like you knew him!
What? Why so quiet?
He was a genius.

Things we aren't supposed to know? Like what?

Oh, great. Another craaaaazy story!
Actually, nobody should know this story.
Wait, so where is the earth millennium gummy?
You don't need to know that, either.
Even if I knew, I wouldn't tell you. Or tell you that I knew, for that matter.
Whaaaaat!? Why would ya do that? Can't you see that we're in a jam here?
A pickle, even. I know all about it.

Y'know, it's kinda weird that we haven't thought about that before. Especially after what happened on Gren.

Come on! What's up with you giving us the first degree here?
Leave, then. I have nothing else to say.
Well, except this: you are being hunted.

Hmm, so Shallot doesn't want us to use magic huh... I wonder why...

The enemy will find you if you use magic. But...

Does it matter? Who would fear such bumbling fools?

What do you think, children? Won't you show me how brave you are, by pummelling the evilhearted? Ho... ho... ho... ho...

Nothing else around, Shallot doesn't want us to do it but Tektos does... so let's use some Wild Magic! Doesn't matter who we pick here, but I let Sugar do it.

What's all this ruckus!?
What is it? What happened?

Old friend... The murderous gunman is here. They don't want the children to find the millennium gummy.

Your days of using the millennium gummy to spread terror across the Baklava system are OVER!

Seems like the time to use the +30% Bira gear as per usual, then. And hell let's give Sorbet a bit more IQ as well for good measure...

Hey, genius! Does it look like we've found it?
Nobody talks to Magnus Muzzleflash that way! I'm... MAGNUS MUZZLEFLASH!
Now I'm going to have make you suffer... for JUSTICE! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Magnus Muzzleflash

Space Police Battle

So, Magnus Muzzleflash is a bit of a bad lad. You may remember that he was mentioned once after we beat up Gil Mudflap in more happy, optimistic times. He was straight up released from spacejail to fight us.

It's hard to believe, but he IS an actual officer of the Space Police and not a thug they're using just because. He was just suspended for things like that whole "does friendly fire" thing. Fitting the trend of his associates, his name in the Japanese release was Kijika Roguma which is "kajikimaguro" split in half, and each half having its syllables reversed. This also fits the trend of the Space Police being named after fish, because "kajikimaguro" is the Japanese name for a marlin.

Magnus Muzzleflash here is... he's very strong, but technically I'd say he's easier than the Holy Sapling.

Yes, he just punched Sugar so hard she took over 800 damage... through a timed guard... but that
was a critical hit. And most noticable is that his best offense is only single target.

Ours is as well, but we're back to doing 7000+ a pop when hitting a weakness. Thankfully, Magnus Muzzleflash is Fire elemental so Sorbet gets this one.

Magnus Muzzleflash DOES have spells as well, two of them even, but one is just MT Heat Fondue. Blazing Cannon is more potent...

...and also single target. And has a high Scorch proc rate. And I think Magnus Muzzleflash just decided that he doesn't like Sugar for some reason.

Much like Applepie before him, Magnus Muzzleflash has 22,000 HP. Unlike Applepie, however, he's kind of a threat. He even picks up a unique gimmick when he has sub-10000HP and can start countering any attacks received but only sometimes.

End

Sir! We just received a report from the forensics team!
You know that gummy... pssshhhh pshhhh... The north ruins psshhhhh pshhhhh...

We know that there's nothing there at this point. We even just came from the Kahve Ruins!

I called it! I TOLD you I knew it. Say it! Tell me I called it!
Yeah... You totally called it, sir! I'll order the first and second squads to bring the robots under their heel.
We'll be able to seize the gummy right away!
You idiots are so slow!

Whoa, gunbreath! Don't even think about it!
The millennium gummy isn't even in there!
Oh, no! Stop him!

They're going to ram us? THEY'RE GOING TO RAM US!
Lassi! The flying machine!
Are you insane? There's no way we'll make it!

What are you doing? Are you listening to me? Tektos!

Children... Steady yourselves... You must not fall...

You won't even scratch it!

All of the ancient rocks... and all of the rich soil... will give me strength.

No! You can't! You'll be obliterated!

Old friend... I've lived long... I will sleep well...

Tektos...

Now, children... Lend me your strength...

You heard the giant. Let's bolster the earth to best suit the stone giant.

Thank you...

Tektos, The Stone Giant

So, uh, despite being able to see Tektos moving in the background, he starts this scene by actively getting up.

Tektos has a pretty cool and unique look for a stone giant. He kinda looks more like a mud golem or something, really.

Having just otten into place, Magnus Muzzleflash is looking awful smug here.

But, Tektos has a way to deal with that. From a distance, even!

He has a powerful laser for a breath weapon!

Despite how Shallot described that armor, it sure doesn't help much for something like this I see.

And, wow, it goes so far out that it flies off into space!

Unfortunately, as Shallot expected... it's a bit too much for Tektos to have managed. He just collapses right after...

But Magnus Muzzleflash's armor falls to the ground itself, with no sign of the madman himself. Because he's, uh... he's dead, Jim.

End

I won't let you go!

Old friend... I will not die... My soul will live on... I will entrust it... To these children...

The world is unreasonable. Everything about it is so... so unreasonable. But you must keep living.
There is nothing left for you here. Let me send you off.

Listen ot the whispers of the rocks.

Rogan Josh is the only person who could've had anything else new of note to say, but he's... just gone now. Guess he just went and wandered off again. That's fine, really.

We already know we only have Puffoon left to go, so we'll head on over there...

...Though entering Neumann is what gives us our (superfluous) plot hook this time, I see.

Yeah, she's that psycho who locked me up!
Why is she sending US a message?
Well... it says that King Suspiro is waiting for us in Bena Rikashi palace.

What do you suggest we do, Sugar?

We need to go to Puffoon anyway to get the final millennium gummy, right? We might as well go see the King while we're there. Trap or not, we do need a lead for where the gummy is...

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 21, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I hope the Space Police try to do the "now that you've collected all the things we're going to steal them from you" but completely botch the theft and have to run away instead.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Tektos is a pretty cool character, considering we only know him for one scene. He's the last survivor of his kind, who was alive before the spiny moles - one of the current dominant species of the planet - evolved sentience. Rather than become a prideful jerk, or mull over old wars, he just comes across as a kind but tired old man.

He also knows that someone's going to come looking for the artifact that's grown inside his brain and is looking forward to finally ending. It seems like the biggest reason he's stuck around this long is for his friend Shallot's benefit.

The whole heroic death thing is a bit abrupt, but the stakes of "Tower gone = instant robot war" is clear enough.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I can't believe MAGNUS MUZZLEFLASH is loving dead.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Dragonatrix posted:

There's also sentient berries that cast Heat Fondu. Notably, they always appear in the back row so they get the MT version.

I don't think this is the right pic. :v:

Also this game sure took a swerve in the past few updates, though it feels like Magnus' death was a bit quick in that cutscene. :rip:

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

megane posted:

Not that I'd heard of it before now, but Bena Rikashi becomes Shikari Nabe, which is apparently a kind of soup with udon.

Ishikari Nabe, probably. Bena Rikashii could become Bena Rikashi in translation.

Edit: And Rio Villa is Ravioli.

The Golux fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 23, 2019

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Booky posted:

I don't think this is the right pic. :v:

Yeah, uh, that sure isn't! It's fixed now though, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

At the rate this is going, all of Puffoon will blow up with everyone still on it to form a millenium gummy.