Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Ignoring the GM side of Gruden's work - would a "replacement level" NFL coach be doing any better with the Raiders roster?

I think there's at least some part of players thinking their coach doesn't believe in them/want them to win right now. Like, if the GM is screwing the organization's chances to win this year for the future at least the coach can act like he's doing his very best to win. Instead we have...this.

Yes Reggie McKenzie exists. No I don't believe anyone in the Raiders locker room believes he's in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

shirts and skins posted:

Lol Seahawks Twitter went ballistic last night when Aikman suggested Seattle had given Cable only D linemen to work with and treated him unfairly.

Goooood riddiance to all that poo poo

Was Cable ever good? Where did this concept of him not being a bumbling dipshit come from?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Depends on the roster I suppose. Raiders could easily have had Khalil Mack and Derwin James on defense which would greatly improve everything. Instead of Martavis Bryant and Jordy Nelson they could have grabbed better FA WRs this offseason. The coach built the lovely roster

I mean in hindsight those would be good moves, no good FA WRs were going to sign there instead of where they went though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ignoring the GM side of Gruden's work - would a "replacement level" NFL coach be doing any better with the Raiders roster?

The Cowboys have kind of a weak roster in general and a questionable young QB and the definition of :geno: coaching are 3-4 so I'm gonna say "obviously."

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Depends on the roster I suppose. Raiders could easily have had Khalil Mack and Derwin James on defense which would greatly improve everything. Instead of Martavis Bryant and Jordy Nelson they could have grabbed better FA WRs this offseason. The coach built the lovely roster

Gruden is going to be given a pass on this year because of his contract and because of what happened with Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper.

He will have a loaded first round for the next two years. If he hits on those picks, the Raiders could easily turn things around.

They could also unload Carr after this year and draft a QB in the first. They would eat a big cap hit in 2019 but if the plan was to suck for one more year then they would be in pretty decent shape going into 2020.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Did anybody think the Raiders needed to be burned to the ground and rebuilt from scratch before Gruden took over, though? The whole reason it was a desirable job in the first place was that they had already accumulated a decent amount of young talent that allegedly was just under-achieving because of the coaching. Then Gruden shows up and starts purging like it's Soviet Russia in 1937?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The most interesting thing to watch over the next few years is how Amari Cooper and Derek Carr do on different teams.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

sean10mm posted:

Did anybody think the Raiders needed to be burned to the ground and rebuilt from scratch before Gruden took over, though? The whole reason it was a desirable job in the first place was that they had already accumulated a decent amount of young talent that allegedly was just under-achieving because of the coaching. Then Gruden shows up and starts purging like it's Soviet Russia in 1937?

It became apparent after last year that 2016 was a fluke year combining Carr/Mack having MVP seasons, an easy schedule, and something like 8 one score wins

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Giving up a proven generational defensive talent in order to hope to score on a generational defensive talent in a draft when money wasn't necessarily the issue, at least not before 100 Guaranteed on a coach, is pretty funny imo

Especially when you wax philosophical shortly after on how hard it is to find good pass rushers

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Oh Gruden absolutely has MAGA brain

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

sweet thursday posted:

Giving up a proven generational defensive talent in order to hope to score on a generational defensive talent in a draft when money wasn't necessarily the issue, at least not before 100 Guaranteed on a coach, is pretty funny imo

Especially when you wax philosophical shortly after on how hard it is to find good pass rushers

At this rate he's getting Baby Bosa despite having beaten cleveland. He's going to have to trade up for Tua in 2020 though or risk becoming less popular than Hue Jackson.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Blitz7x posted:

It became apparent after last year that 2016 was a fluke year combining Carr/Mack having MVP seasons, an easy schedule, and something like 8 one score wins

It was slighlty flukey, but I mean they built a team in a fine way considering where they were, they drafted the most important positions and protected them with a bunch of overpaid free agents. They had a billion dollars in cap space and desperately needed to be respectable, that worked out fine.

Depending on how you feel about Carr, they would've been fine just drafting replacements for those expensive vets and just paying market rate for new guys, but instead we've got this loving horror show.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kalli posted:

It was slighlty flukey, but I mean they built a team in a fine way considering where they were, they drafted the most important positions and protected them with a bunch of overpaid free agents. They had a billion dollars in cap space and desperately needed to be respectable, that worked out fine.

Depending on how you feel about Carr, they would've been fine just drafting replacements for those expensive vets and just paying market rate for new guys, but instead we've got this loving horror show.

Yeah, 2016 was a case of everything breaking their way, but even so they were nowhere near being in a situation where everything was awful and had to be destroyed with fire. This wasn't like the Browns where everything outside Joe Thomas was either pig swill or a briefly amusing sideshow, like "Brian Hoyer 2 Andrew Hawkins and Miles Austin has temporarily become a thing... somehow."

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Blitz7x posted:

It took some truly atrocious officiating and a dude with a laser pointer to defeat the Osweiler Texans

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Man the 2014 QB class is a mess.

Technically the jury is still out in Bridgewater with the injury, but Carr Bridgewater Bortles is pretty dire.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Intruder posted:

It took some truly atrocious officiating and a dude with a laser pointer to defeat the Osweiler Texans

RIP green laser pointer, a true hero

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe Gruden is self aware enough to know that he just swooped into a star-studded Tampa Bay team and came along for the ride to a championship against his former team (the team of which he still knew the offense). This is his only chance to get credit for building AND coaching a Superbowl winning team.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Maybe Gruden is self aware

:lol:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Goff/Wentz best QB class

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Maybe Gruden is self aware enough to know that he just swooped into a star-studded Tampa Bay team and came along for the ride to a championship against his former team (the team of which he still knew the offense). This is his only chance to get credit for building AND coaching a Superbowl winning team.

That's exactly what's happening. Dude has a massive ego like most coaches and he saw a perfect opportunity to try and make sure everyone knows HE did it.

someone post the tweet of our favorite pissbaby cheeto president wanting credit for something with the "IT WAS ME!!!" comment because that's what this is basically.

comedy option is that he's a puppet master and has been playing the long game in gaining Bowl Cut's trust through the years and completed his master stroke by getting that crazy contract and now he just sits back counting his money and deliberately running the organization into the ground as retribution for being traded by a senile Al Davis

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Imagine absorbing 8 sacks a game, bawling on the field, watching your career implode...for these two

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sweeper posted:

Was Cable ever good? Where did this concept of him not being a bumbling dipshit come from?

I blame Deadpool

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Imagine absorbing 8 sacks a game, bawling on the field, watching your career implode...for these two

Davis looks like Gruden as a Fallout ghoul

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

SHOAH NUFF posted:

not as many idiots running in to praise davis, a total fuccboi, as One of the Good Ones anymore

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Blitz7x posted:

Oh Gruden absolutely has MAGA brain
raiders are traditionalist politics rams are progressive politics

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DariusLikewise posted:

Goff/Wentz best QB class

Mahomes/Watson is doing alright too. Seems like we needed a couple of decent years after, like, 2013.

OxySnake posted:

Man the 2014 QB class is a mess.

Technically the jury is still out in Bridgewater with the injury, but Carr Bridgewater Bortles is pretty dire.

Speaking of possibly giving up too early 2015 is looking a little ragged too. Jameis might be too dumb to ever be really good, Mariota I still believe in but I think coaching (or a lack of it) will kill him. Other than that it's...Siemian?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Has anyone considered what to do w/ that site if he does actually get fired sometime in oh the next 9 years? Like what .gif or meme is it gonna be? The sicko watching through the window?????

I still have my version with Gruden's face on it, I'll have to drag that out of whatever obscure folder it's hiding in

sean10mm posted:

ehhh the one thing I think he was pretty on point with was the idea that the roster needed to undergo some serious changes. The team was not that good.

Does that mean Gruden is doing the smart thing in a smart way? Hell loving no

No Irish Need Imply posted:

raiders are traditionalist politics rams are progressive politics

ill allow it

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

sweet thursday posted:

Davis looks like Gruden as a Fallout ghoul

I think the best description I read of this picture is that Davis looks like reheated Gruden leftovers.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

shirts and skins posted:

I think the best description I read of this picture is that Davis looks like reheated Gruden leftovers.

in that picture they look like a real life Twins scenario

e: you gotta hand it to Mark Davis for being so comfortable looking like a Morlock. often you see guys with that kind of money and public exposure get a fashion and style makeover, but MD is just chillin. that takes a real sense of self (or utter lack of self-awareness, either way it's admirable tho)

indigi fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 2, 2018

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Playing devils advocate:

I think the last several years of sitting afar and judging draft picks and players has made Gruden supremely confident in his ability to pick out talent. And seeing that the easiest way to win is with young players that you pay peanuts for - thanks to the CBA - he's decided to have a fire sale so he can restock the team for the long run, rather than just try to fix up the current roster.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Playing devils advocate:

I think the last several years of sitting afar and judging draft picks and players has made Gruden supremely confident in his ability to pick out talent. And seeing that the easiest way to win is with young players that you pay peanuts for - thanks to the CBA - he's decided to have a fire sale so he can restock the team for the long run, rather than just try to fix up the current roster.

yeah but there have to be guys worth taking with all those picks. it doesn't sound like there are many QBs worth betting the farm coming out this year so that lowers your chances, and if you have to trade up in 2020 that lowers them even more. over the next two years he's got five first round picks to find a franchise QB, a dominant pass rusher, and a #1 WR. assuming there are players at those positions worth taking high, you then have to hit on ~50% of your picks in the first few rounds. that's an insane level of hubris if that's his plan

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

DariusLikewise posted:

Goff/Wentz best QB class

If the Rams win the SB this year? When, if ever, was the last time a No1 and No2 QB from the same draft class have won SB rings?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Shouldn't count for Wentz

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

on their rookie deals, no less

Intruder posted:

not cool!!!!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Intruder posted:

He has a SB ring :colbert:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Its Rinaldo posted:

This makes Seattle's rout of the Raiders in England look worse so I'm displeased with the outcome.

Oh god, I'm Kawalimus

Remember that amazing first quarter they had against the Rams and everyone thought he was actually still a genius?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rivers still has time to do it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Intruder posted:

Rivers still has time to do it

maybe if they trade him

e: imagine Rivers going to the Giants this offseason, they're an immediate contender for the NFC championship

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

indigi posted:

maybe if they trade him

e: imagine Rivers going to the Giants this offseason, they're an immediate contender for the NFC championship

Rivers for Eli, make everything go full-circle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Didn't Rivers basically say he'd retire if he was traded as he doesn't want to uproot his family.

• Locked thread