Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
how far is Las Vegas? does Rivers have what it takes to be a Gruden Grinder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

indigi posted:

maybe if they trade him

e: imagine Rivers going to the Giants this offseason, they're an immediate contender for the NFC championship

The Chargers roster is a lot better than the Giants roster

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

indigi posted:

maybe if they trade him

e: imagine Rivers going to the Giants this offseason, they're an immediate contender for the NFC championship

They still need like...5 new O linemen if they want Rivers to stay alive for a full season

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Trade Rivers to Jacksonville

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Intruder posted:

Trade Rivers to Jacksonville

Chargers roster is also better than the Jags

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Docjowles posted:

They still need like...5 new O linemen if they want Rivers to stay alive for a full season

*posts that tweet where Rivers has like a 140 passer rating under pressure* :smug:

a neat cape posted:

The Chargers roster is a lot better than the Giants roster

it's definitely better but idk about a lot better. the coaching is subpar and Eli is really That Bad

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Playing devils advocate:

I think the last several years of sitting afar and judging draft picks and players has made Gruden supremely confident in his ability to pick out talent. And seeing that the easiest way to win is with young players that you pay peanuts for - thanks to the CBA - he's decided to have a fire sale so he can restock the team for the long run, rather than just try to fix up the current roster.

The Browns

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

indigi posted:

it's definitely better but idk about a lot better. the coaching is subpar and Eli is really That Bad

The biggest advantage the Chargers have is that their o-line is far better than the Giants', which is weird because for a big chunk of either QB's career, the opposite was the case. They've quietly and finally done a very good job rebuilding it with some smart draft picks (Dan Feeney in the third) and value FA pickups (Mike Pouncey and Russell Okung when he's been healthy have been great). Their o-line is a genuine asset for the first time since the late Norv years, which is admittedly kinda hard to believe. WR corp wise, Odell is the best of the bunch between the two, but the Chargers have Allen/Tyrell and Mike Williams, which is probably a little better than the Giants' WR corp overall since i'm not very high on Sterling Shepard. Barkley will probably be a better RB historically than Gordon, but right now Melvin is having his career year since the Chargers finally figured out he's best off in space.

Looking over the Giants' defense, the only guys they have that I think would probably crack the Chargers' starting lineup would be Vernon (since Bosa's out), Janoris Jenkins and Landon Collins. The Chargers' D isn't perfect - they really miss Bosa in obvious passing situations and Addae isn't suited to playing FS at all - but overall they're a fair bit better than what the Giants having going for them right now.

The Giants' roster honestly kinda reminds me of the 2015 Chargers one: some nice pieces but overall they're kind of a wreck, especially since they can't block at all and the coaching isn't great. (though Shurmur is probably a better HC than McCoy was) The main difference is that Eli is way more cooked right now than Rivers was.

Durandal1707 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 2, 2018

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

indigi posted:

yeah but there have to be guys worth taking with all those picks. it doesn't sound like there are many QBs worth betting the farm coming out this year so that lowers your chances, and if you have to trade up in 2020 that lowers them even more. over the next two years he's got five first round picks to find a franchise QB, a dominant pass rusher, and a #1 WR. assuming there are players at those positions worth taking high, you then have to hit on ~50% of your picks in the first few rounds. that's an insane level of hubris if that's his plan

Tua Quinnen Williams Jeudy done

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Jacksonville is stacked. Rivers on that team would be deadly

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Rivers should go to the Broncos lol

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny4a-oxOndo

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM&t=41s

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It's not technically over but the Lions are for sure done for the season. 9-7 ain't gonna win this division, and having one conference win halfway through the season means that a wildcard is for sure off the table.

I'll still keep watching them though because I'm dumb as hell.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Sigh. The Downs need a kicker too. Baker doesn’t have a great deep ball that can connect and we don’t have anyone who can catch.

Like I can see potential but still suck

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
gently caress the Detroit loving Lions now and for-loving-ever

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Thank you for the ring Harbaugh, I'll miss you, close the door on your way out

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

dolphins won a game with 168 yards of offense

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Chris James 2 posted:

Thank you for the ring Harbaugh, I'll miss you, close the door on your way out

I won't miss him. I do appreciate the ring. But also running a FG fake when Patrick Willis is out on the field came very close to costing us that game. I think it will be hard to do worse.

Fire the whole coaching staff in my opinion. Martindale started out good but his poo poo has been figured out and nobody named "wink" in 2018 can really be that good. Morningwheg is probably ok but is just another retread idiot who rode off on a motorcycle to try to impress the Lions back in like 2001 and he should be fired now, for that.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Only one Super Bowl? What a loving loser

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I'm sorry bills fans

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Only one Super Bowl? What a loving loser

His loyalty to a failing OC screwed us the two years before and almost cost it to us that year. Only the Baltimore inferiority complex with DC is what got us that Superbowl.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

if they do fire harbs at the end of the season they do probably clean out most of the staff too. No reason not to hard reset at that point, theres no rex ryan style guy to keep around, no assistant with enough clout in the organization. If they do that they have a pretty easy path to cutting or letting walk joe/jimmy/weddle/suggs/zadarius and having a clean cap full of mostly young players.

The cap rollover kind of changes the way rebuilds work now, the ravens had in the past done it kind of on the fly just accepting a mediocre season or two while they drafted well. They both had hall of famers back then and also spending to the limit every single year made sense. it doesn't anymore. Will be interesting to see what they do

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
These past couple of weeks are the consequence of being really injured at really inopportune times. Ravens still have a chance if they can get healthy over the bye and run the table, though given who they have to face people should be rightfully skeptical of the latter.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

^^It's not just injuries though and I think the team was playing a little over its head in those early weeks. The run game has been a huge problem all year and will continuee to be even if we get fully healthy again.

Yeah it was easy in the days where we could just build around Lewis and Reed on the defense. I definitely took for granted all those years having two hall of fame players with lots of years left on the team.

It's clear that the foundations of this current team just aren't enough to get it done and there needs to be a total reworking and a search for an Ovechkin or a Crosby like I mentioned last week.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Well the Browns offense appears to have at least functioned this week. A vast improvement over the Hue/Haley era.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

disagree pretty hard, the ravens the past 3 seasons that has been true, this year they've suffered only really 1? maybe 1 and a half injuries to guys without replacements(ronnie stanley and the half game without mosley where they didn't realize kenny young was a beast). Everyone else has had players who should be producing at a high, or equally bad, level step in. There is something to be said for new starters on the line being bad in a vacuum regardless of who the backup is, but that only gets you so far. Replacing a bad starter with an equally bad backup should not collapse your whole unit.

all that said I am not down on this coaching staff or team and would be entirely fine with them running it back. The front office might not be

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

We lose Newsome after this year too right? Next year will be pretty interesting to see what this team looks like.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Well the Browns offense appears to have at least functioned this week. A vast improvement over the Hue/Haley era.

Playing Chubb more seems like it should have been a no brainer from, like, day one. Just giving him the ball more seems like it would help quite a bit.

Hard to keep doing that when the Chiefs get up a couple of scores, and KC's run D played well by their standards today. But while the game was still in reach I thought they did a decent job feeding him.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Grittybeard posted:

Playing Chubb more seems like it should have been a no brainer from, like, day one. Just giving him the ball more seems like it would help quite a bit.

Hard to keep doing that when the Chiefs get up a couple of scores, and KC's run D played well by their standards today. But while the game was still in reach I thought they did a decent job feeding him.

and finally loving using Duke Johnson seems to have helped plenty.

If Ward and Gaines can make it back I don't entirely hate our odds against the Falcons especially with Schobert on schedule to be back next week if the offense shows up again.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Patrick Mahomes is one TD away from tying the Chiefs single-season passing TD's record, set by Len Dawson in 1964.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Strobe posted:

Patrick Mahomes is one TD away from tying the Chiefs single-season passing TD's record, set by Len Dawson in 1964.

He's currently tied for second in franchise history with also Len Dawson in 1962. They were still the Dallas Texans at that time.

The Chiefs haven't thrown for a lot of touchdowns over the years, really.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

gently caress the Detroit loving Lions now and for-loving-ever

I still maintain that the Tate trade was a clear signal that the front office is already looking towards next season, and I will beat this drum louder each time the Lions lose this season.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Steelers are improving every week. A win in Baltimore today was a big deal for their season outlook.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Steelers are improving every week. A win in Baltimore today was a big deal for their season outlook.

AFC Divisional Round Bound

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

C-Euro posted:

I still maintain that the Tate trade was a clear signal that the front office is already looking towards next season, and I will beat this drum louder each time the Lions lose this season.

they've been looking ahead to next season since before I was born

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Phobeste posted:

AFC Divisional Round Bound

It's cool because the Chiefs will be the 1 seed this year. The playoffs won't go through Foxborough

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Raiders are trying to copy the Rams by moving to a new town with a bunch of new draft picks people can embrace.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1059229378834558978

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/OnlyInBOS/status/1058343022352572416

• Locked thread