Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Caleb Sturgis has missed 4 field goals and 6 (SIX) PATs this season.

This man still has a job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think it’s pretty meaningful when both teams have one loss and one team just beat the other by two scores.

Who knows where things will stand at the end of the year, but the Saints are on a 7 game win streak, have won 4 of their last 5 by double digits, and just beat the supposed best team in the conference by 10.

They’ve got a pretty good argument.

Eh I don’t see how, I mean are the lions better than the Pats? If your argument is that similar records makes the difference well I find that very unconvincing.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/jeffduncan_/status/1059265491716456451?s=21

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh I don’t see how, I mean are the lions better than the Pats? If your argument is that similar records makes the difference well I find that very unconvincing.

If the Lions were also 6-2 and had just beaten the Pats to send them to 6-2 then yea, I’d say there were better. What a weird question.

Like, how the hell do you even determine who’s better if you ignore record and also head to head?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Then he murdered some Mexicans by shooting them in the back

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If the Lions were also 6-2 and had just beaten the Pats to send them to 6-2 then yea, I’d say there were better. What a weird question.

Like, how the hell do you even determine who’s better if you ignore record and also head to head?

Stats probably, records and head to head seem like the least important thing

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Most of the country didn't watch Vance Joseph's egregious clock management today, and you're all better off for it. A summary:

-on 4th and 9 from the Houston 44, down 13-10, with 23 seconds left in the first half and Houston holding two timeouts, they decided to attempt a 62 yard field goal. It was missed, Houston got into field goal range, and kicked their own field goal to make it 16-10 at halftime.
-After getting the ball back on their own 14, down 2 with 2 timeouts and 3:30 left on the clock, they ran the ball on 1st and 10 and let 30 seconds tick off before running the next play. If they'd failed to convert and faced a fourth down, it would have been nice to be able to punt!
-After converting a 4th and 8 to reach the Houston 37 yard line with 43 seconds left and one timeout, the Broncos then threw a TE screen pass for 5 yards, let 30 seconds tick off the clock, ran the ball, then called their final timeout with 3 seconds left to attempt a 50 yard field goal. Like many 50 yard field goals, it was missed.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

solarjetman posted:

Most of the country didn't watch Vance Joseph's egregious clock management today, and you're all better off for it. A summary:

-on 4th and 9 from the Houston 44, down 13-10, with 23 seconds left in the first half and Houston holding two timeouts, they decided to attempt a 62 yard field goal. It was missed, Houston got into field goal range, and kicked their own field goal to make it 16-10 at halftime.
-After getting the ball back on their own 14, down 2 with 2 timeouts and 3:30 left on the clock, they ran the ball on 1st and 10 and let 30 seconds tick off before running the next play. If they'd failed to convert and faced a fourth down, it would have been nice to be able to punt!
-After converting a 4th and 8 to reach the Houston 37 yard line with 43 seconds left and one timeout, the Broncos then threw a TE screen pass for 5 yards, let 30 seconds tick off the clock, ran the ball, then called their final timeout with 3 seconds left to attempt a 50 yard field goal. Like many 50 yard field goals, it was missed.

Did you see Bill O'Brien's response at the ever of the game? I'm inclined to agree, I felt like the Broncos were the better team today and the Texans got kinda lucky.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Real nice of former Falcon Joe Horn to say that.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CharlestheHammer posted:

Stats probably, records and head to head seem like the least important thing

Good to know the Saints were actually the best team in the league last year. When can we expect our DVOA champs trophy?

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
just lol if Vance Joseph has a job tomorrow

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Good to know the Saints were actually the best team in the league last year. When can we expect our DVOA champs trophy?

I assume the same time you get your NFL champs of week 9 trophy.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I assume the same time you get your NFL champs of week 9 trophy.

I know being super dumb is your gimmick, but still, you’re super dumb.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I'm seasoning my food with your posts

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It's next to the Piggly Wiggly one.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Paging Ross.

https://twitter.com/AtlantaFalcons/status/1059185658323816448?s=19

/DJ Khalid voice

Anutha one!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The Saints are going to win the Superbowl.

And it makes me sick.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Kawalimus posted:

And it makes me sick.

Worth it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
A Saints/Chargers owl would own pretty hard.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I don't even have a dog in the Saints/Rams fight but I can always appreciate some expertly done trolling

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He's not the one getting salty that someone else dared suggest their team wasn't the best in the NFC.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

How? I mean your kind of retreating from your own argument. You never even explained why I’m wrong you just said well the best team doesn’t win the super bowl. Which yeah that’s true? Super bowl do to it’s rather short playoffs by design is not set up for the best team to win.

Like I can’t tell you whether the Saints are the best or not but head to head is meaningless do to sample size.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lmao if you dont want to watch the panthers triple reverse to death the saints AND the Rams

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Kawalimus posted:

And it makes me sick.

I never knew you hated The Saints.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I hope the Chiefs win it all tbh Mahomes is cool as hell

I mean, assuming the Texans don't win it (which is a given)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

FizFashizzle posted:

lmao if you dont want to watch the panthers triple reverse to death the saints AND the Rams

nah

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I don't at all.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Two Tone Shoes posted:

It's all about the record of the team with multiple Super Bowl wins and no losses. Saints win, they join the Ravens.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Strobe posted:

He's not the one getting salty that someone else dared suggest their team wasn't the best in the NFC.

I’m not sure it’s not Carolina, actually. I just think declaring that the Rams are actually the indisputably best team in the NFC is stupid given how close they’ve been playing teams recently and their loss today.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

It's all about the record of the team with multiple Super Bowl wins and no losses. Saints win, they join the Ravens.

I realized though, the Ravens will still very likely have the tiebreaker as long as the Saints don't beat the Patriots or Steelers. If it's tied at 7 the Ravens will win due to opponent winning percentage.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Intruder posted:

I hope the Chiefs win it all tbh Mahomes is cool as hell

I mean, assuming the Texans don't win it (which is a given)

If the Chiefs don't win it all (lol) I want it to be something ridiculous like Andey Dalton slaying the Saints/Rams/whoever

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’m not sure it’s not Carolina, actually. I just think declaring that the Rams are actually the indisputably best team in the NFC is stupid given how close they’ve been playing teams recently and their loss today.

To be fair I’m not doing this. I think their are better metrics to determine it, if that is what you want to do.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

A.o.D. posted:

A Saints/Chargers owl would own pretty hard.

Yes.

:swoon:

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

All he said is he thinks the Rams and Chiefs would be undefeated if they were at home vs the Saints and Patriots.

That does mean they have some other game on the road they might have difficulty with moreso but I don't think he was giving it that much thought.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Cris Collinsworst

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Two Tone Shoes posted:

All he said is he thinks the Rams and Chiefs would be undefeated if they were at home vs the Saints and Patriots.

That does mean they have some other game on the road they might have difficulty with moreso but I don't think he was giving it that much thought.

Well, the Chiefs/Pats game was a 3 point difference which is around what home field is usually considered to be worth. The Saints game was wider than what you’d usually attribute to HFA.

But beyond that the Rams haven’t looked like a juggernaut for a few weeks. They barely squeaked by the Seattle, Denver, and Green Bay, none of them great teams. Rams are probably still favorites for the 1 seed but a lot of that is because their division is garbage.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Well, the Chiefs/Pats game was a 3 point difference which is around what home field is usually considered to be worth. The Saints game was wider than what you’d usually attribute to HFA.

But beyond that the Rams haven’t looked like a juggernaut for a few weeks. They barely squeaked by the Seattle, Denver, and Green Bay, none of them great teams. Rams are probably still favorites for the 1 seed but a lot of that is because their division is garbage.

I do not think you're wrong for disagreeing with him but it shouldn't be so contentious. We barely squeaked by the Browns, Ravens, Falcons etc. All of them have .500 or worse records. Just because their close games were more recent doesn't change much in the overall scheme. Both teams are very very good but with some flaws that make them beatable.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 5, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Guys I think the Saints might be pretty good

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

its important to remember they cheated to beat the ravens so that win doesnt actually count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Guys I think the Saints might be pretty good

But are they the best???

• Locked thread