Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
:dadjoke: An obscure rule won't be the thing that derails the Raiders' Super Bowl hopes this time! :dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Friendship ended with CARR
Now MCCARRON is my best friend

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

All kidding aside, I'm trying to think of a better example of a team totally collapsing when the only big change was at head coach, but I'm coming up blank. 6-10 is bad, but uh I don't see another win on their schedule except maybe the Cardinals. And at least they look like they give a poo poo.

As lovely as Hue Jackson was (very) he took over a team that was 3-13 AND went through a series of :catdrugs: MONEYBALL :catdrugs: roster purges.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

If you can find him :lol: Far more likely you'll never see him post here again during the Gruden era

I was about to say, just LOL @ that idea.

Also we're half way through his first season and the entire team is already at the "gently caress this poo poo forever" stage. poo poo, even Josh McDaniels had a honeymoon period before he made everyone hate him.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Ignoring the GM side of Gruden's work - would a "replacement level" NFL coach be doing any better with the Raiders roster?

The Cowboys have kind of a weak roster in general and a questionable young QB and the definition of :geno: coaching are 3-4 so I'm gonna say "obviously."

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Did anybody think the Raiders needed to be burned to the ground and rebuilt from scratch before Gruden took over, though? The whole reason it was a desirable job in the first place was that they had already accumulated a decent amount of young talent that allegedly was just under-achieving because of the coaching. Then Gruden shows up and starts purging like it's Soviet Russia in 1937?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kalli posted:

It was slighlty flukey, but I mean they built a team in a fine way considering where they were, they drafted the most important positions and protected them with a bunch of overpaid free agents. They had a billion dollars in cap space and desperately needed to be respectable, that worked out fine.

Depending on how you feel about Carr, they would've been fine just drafting replacements for those expensive vets and just paying market rate for new guys, but instead we've got this loving horror show.

Yeah, 2016 was a case of everything breaking their way, but even so they were nowhere near being in a situation where everything was awful and had to be destroyed with fire. This wasn't like the Browns where everything outside Joe Thomas was either pig swill or a briefly amusing sideshow, like "Brian Hoyer 2 Andrew Hawkins and Miles Austin has temporarily become a thing... somehow."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Cash Monet posted:

Mike McCarthy to the Cowboys, make it happen.

Just put Garrett in a fat suit, same thing at this point.

• Locked thread