Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

COOL CORN posted:

Episodes 1 and 2 are pretty decent Dracula rehashing. Ep 1 is in the normal castle with Jonathan Harker in Victorian-era Transylvania, Claes Bang plays a really good charismatic Count Dracula, and Agatha van Helsing, a Catholic nun, is a surprisingly good twist on the original character. Ep 2 is Drac on a boat picking off the passengers one by one and it's a pretty good whodunnit (I mean, for the passengers, we know whodunnit), and everyone's cool and I was actually really engaged the whole time, but then they capture him and put him in a coffin with Transylvania soil and it cuts to him waking up in PRESENT DAY. I think I actually said "are you loving kidding me" at the TV

Episode 3 (the final episode) has Dracula waking up in modern day England and lots of comedic beats where he's like "oh what's this device, ah wait I drank your husband's blood and now I know it's called....... a cell phone??" and the Jonathan Harker Foundation captures him and puts him in one of those Magneto glass prison cells, but his lawyer Renfield comes and bails him out, then he seduces a suicidal club girl and they're texting back and forth and Drac is using vampire emojis and poo poo, and then at the very end the descendant of Van Helsing is like "Dracula you're not actually allergic to sunlight or crosses, you're just afraid of death, you're a sad boy" and then Dracula drinks Van Helsing's blood but then Dracula dies because actually Van Helsing has cancer

That seems like that would fit in What We Do In The Shadows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

AccountSupervisor posted:

Honestly I was kind of into the idea of the modern times Dracula but as it went on it got dumber and dumber and then the ending twist was just :geno:

This also describes Burton's Dark Shadows adaptation.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Haven't watched Dracula yet, but Moffat's whole thing for the last decade or so has been "you thought you were watching this kind of show, but actually you're watching this kind of show" so hearing that his all-trad Dracula adaptation becomes a goofy take on What We Do In The Shadows for the last episode is entirely on-brand.

e: Ryan Murphy is a good comparison for Moffat's stuff, tbh. They're both wildly unpopular with a certain kind of internet tv-watcher for "not understanding" the appeal of their own shows, when (for better or for worse) what they do is very intentional.

josh04 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 6, 2020

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

That issue was specifically raised in Fran’s post. Everyone knows 90% of her meltdowns were about comic books and she was really annoying. It’s just no one believes that’s why she got a perma

If melting down in BSS was enough to get you a permaban, 70% of the posters in that subforum would qualify.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I was surprised at why Dickeye was allowed to roam unchecked at first considering how...colorful her language was, but after a while I just figured that's the way she was and didn't take it personally.

I keep forgetting, if you're perma'd, can you just shell out another 10 bux for a new account or will the fash just ban her on sight? Cause I'm willing to buy her a rereg

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

If it's discovered you're a rereg you'll get banned again. Perma is against the individual, not just the account.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

That's a whole lot of BS. Free Dickeye

Edit: And TB just for good measure

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

After forcing myself to sit through Sherlock entirely based on positive word of mouth, I have no interest in watching another Steven Moffat project as long as I live. It's very annoying to me that he keeps taking beloved literary characters and doing these twists on them where he clearly thinks he knows better than the original creators of the work.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I never got past the first episode of Sherlock because at the end they say "if Sherlock wasn't solving murders, he'd be committing them!" and that was the dumbest loving thing I'd ever head

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I do agree Dickeye can be vitriolic and even when trying to help or explain things to her, she gets on your case until you don’t feel like dealing with her. She doesn’t help herself. But I support to bring her back. She brings discussion to the table and contributes well, it’s good to have her views on things and I do feel she’s a part of the community especially in CineD.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 6, 2020

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Honestly, is she really that vitriolic? To me it seemed more like a personality quirk than any actual malice

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

McCloud posted:

Honestly, is she really that vitriolic? To me it seemed more like a personality quirk than any actual malice

80% of her vitriol was towards people who constantly attacked her without provocation *cough cough* lurdiak*cough cough*

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

McCloud posted:

I should say can be versus is.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

80% of her vitriol was towards people who constantly attacked her without provocation *cough cough* lurdiak*cough cough*

I'm gonna be honest I've never understood what the hell those two had against each other. Like, I'd see them poo poo on each other pretty constantly but I never had any context on the beef, and it seemed to be pretty even in terms of who instigated it at any given point so I'm not even a hundred percent sure who the main aggressor was.

e: I will say though, where I was coming from on saying she was visibly genuinely unwell is that she started doing that to literally everybody, constantly, including at one point this entire subforum at once (while deliberately being extremely vague on what the hell we were doing wrong, and making GBS threads on anyone who asked her even louder). I'm not sure if a perma is warranted but she probably needs some kind of long break from SA, because it seems like going on here is pretty much self-harm for her.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 7, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Lurdiak vs Dickeye feud always had a bit of "bird attacking it's own reflection in a mirror" energy

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Can we gently caress off with this? Dickeye started up with Lurdiak at least just as often and Lurdiak did not cause this ban (as much as I'm sure they would've liked to)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sherlock was alright when it was about Sherlock & Watson solving a mystery. But that was way less of the show than it should have been.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Sherlock was alright when it was about Sherlock & Watson solving a mystery. But that was way less of the show than it should have been.

Maybe 5%.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

axelblaze posted:

Can we gently caress off with this? Dickeye started up with Lurdiak at least just as often and Lurdiak did not cause this ban (as much as I'm sure they would've liked to)

Nah, Lurdiak decided to make this poo poo a thing in a completely different subforum where no one was talking about this, so I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt at all. If weird internecine forums drama was the reason Dickeye got perma'd Lurdiack is equally guilty

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Nah, Lurdiak decided to make this poo poo a thing in a completely different subforum where no one was talking about this, so I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt at all. If weird internecine forums drama was the reason Dickeye got perma'd Lurdiack is equally guilty

My personal problems with Dickeye have nothing to do with why I posted that I didn't think it was a conspiracy, and the reason I brought it up on another forum is that I always considered that you and I were on relatively friendly terms, but the minute I said something that pierced the narrative of Dickeye as some kind of forums martyr that the evil mods conspired against, you said I deserved a permaban. That's really hurtful, and forgive me for getting emotional about it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Theory:
Lurdiak is secretly Dickeye's alt-account.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ok so time out, just want to point out FYAD got deleted for real.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Lurd, since you're here, what the poo poo did you two start this weird beef about in the first place

Like I honestly always thought it was just some kind of weird joke because it was so inscrutable to me

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well this has been a day

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

FreudianSlippers posted:

Theory:
Lurdiak is secretly Dickeye's alt-account.

We have just lost cabin pressure

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Lurd, since you're here, what the poo poo did you two start this weird beef about in the first place

Like I honestly always thought it was just some kind of weird joke because it was so inscrutable to me

IIRC it started over me constantly dunking on Garth Ennis and Dickeye calling me a stupid piece of poo poo over it, and generally just telling me to gently caress off and stop posting in BSS in general, but last time I said something like this Dickeye had a different recollection of events.

I like to think I'm a better person and poster now than I was a decade ago, so maybe if things had been different Dickeye and I would never have had beef. But she's said a lot of things to me that I really can't forget, and that sentiment was mutual. I tried to apologize for that completely unforgivable post I made while off my meds a while back, and Dickeye was completely uninterested in hearing my apology because they considered my posting career in general to be more evidence of what a piece of poo poo I am than any single post.

Basically it was just a lot of little things piling up over the years between two people with a short fuse.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Cool.

See this post right here? This is why I posted this morning and asked for the discussion to desist.

I allowed the topic to continue past that point because TrixRabbi and CPL593H and others were posting their dismay and issues in constructive ways.

Mods and admins who care about your opinions have read them. They've read your requests for Dickeye to come back. Dickeye has reached out to those who she cares to reach out to.

I'm sorry I can't make every nazi on SomethingAwful go away. I'm sorry you have issues with other mods and admins. I only have control of CineD. See a nazi here? Report their bigot asses and I'll gently caress them up with bans.

I'm sorry you don't have a QCS thread to post in about this. Sorry you don't have somewhere else to ask for Dickeye to be reinstated. That doesn't justify bringing up other forums drama or who Dickeye liked or who didn't like Dickeye.

As for this stupid loving argument, just look up a loving rap sheet and you'll see how I had to probate ban Dickeye for attacking Lurdiak far more than I had to probate or ban him. I have a whole inbox of "gently caress you fran"s from her as well for it.

Yes Dickeye was a prominent poster in CineD. Feel free to blame as many admins or mods for how lovely we all are at our job, don't put any blame on the poster who spent a decade posting. Feel free to question the timing. Feel free to PM admins or mods of CSPAM saying you believe she was removed over personal vendettas. Feel free to PM me how many people are going to leave the husk that is now the cultural wasteland that is Dickeye-less CineD.

Do not continue discussing Dickeye in any CineD thread. I've told you where you can discuss her. I've told you you can PM me if you have questions for me.

As of now, I'm very frustrated with everyone and I'm closing this thread. No one wants to talk about movies today anyway, so gently caress it. You may also chalk that up in a win or loss or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Ok so time out, just want to point out FYAD got deleted for real.

Yeah. All us terrible mods have been spending all day working on this and deleting more nazis. It's been busy!