Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GameTrekker
Apr 2, 2011

Heck yeah, more La-Mulana! There really isn't any other game series quite like it. I backed the Kickstarter for this sequel, and I was not disappointed by the result.

Great to see you and Skippy Granola teaming up again, too. You two make a great duo.

To anyone who's been following Agent355's LP, I recommend also checking out Highwang's version of Lumisa's journey. La-Mulana games are open and elaborate enough to result in different playthroughs being vastly different experiences.

If I may be permitted to compare the two, I see Agent355 as a thinking man's LPer. He's for people who want information about every little detail of La-Mulana's world, including how the developer most likely intended the player to solve each puzzle. The LP is intended to simulate "logical" progression through the game.

Highwang meanwhile is more of a ride, more about the adventure and humor. Expect more colorful commentary. Also, following a logical sequence of events is for chumps in this LP. I'm looking forward to seeing what sorts of nonsense and shenanigans Lumisa gets up to in this version of events.

I personally enjoy both styles. But another big part of the draw for me is that both players love the game. God drat, I'm so happy La-Mulana got a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameTrekker
Apr 2, 2011

Speaking of that shopkeeper, I recommend giving him another visit at some point 'cause believe it or not there's something you missed with him! Specifically there's an animation he does after a moment whenever you buy weights from him. You would've seen it if you hadn't left so quickly.

As for the achievement with the pepper... From what I've heard, it has to do with using it on a certain NPC who's been trying to remain stationary for a very, very long time.

GameTrekker
Apr 2, 2011

The conundrum that Modgud outlines is one of my favorite puzzles in the game. In short, Lumisa needs to go see Hel (apparently), and Modgud says that that requires entering the Eternal Prison, which requires beating Vidofnir, which requires the "power of flame", which requires trading with Sinmara, which requires the Light Scythe, which is in the Eternal Prison. And since that's a loop, basically gently caress you.

The correct way to interpret Modgud's speech is that there must be some alternate means of, and I'll spoiler this just to be sure, entering the Eternal Prison. I personally never solved this puzzle. I, much like Highwang, found Vidofnir in my first playthrough and was completely stonewalled at that point. I only stumbled upon the real solution by trying a whole bunch of things I didn't really think would work but one of which ended up working. I'll say something else about this once the LP gets to that point.

Of course, to be fair, if the puzzle really had no solution, then the whole game would be unwinnable. So, technically, another viable option for pursuing a solution is to pay attention to what Modgud says to do but ignore her assertions about what's possible, as Highwang is effectively still doing to this day. ("All a roundabout way of saying 'get the Light Scythe'"... I mean... I GUESS...)

GameTrekker
Apr 2, 2011

Speaking of beautiful traps, there are a number of other amazing examples of how accurate Highwang's "a Rube Goldberg machine of death" description of this zone is. I remember one that I kept falling into that sends Lumisa careening into THREE different spike traps. What else is there...

Oh yeah, there's also The Foot, which is seen in the video at 23:35 but not activated. It's the thing above the skeletons in the lower left. Basically, if you mess up the running jump in the room above by falling into the pit, you slide off of a slope on the wall and land where the skeletons are. Then The Foot promptly swings down and crushes you.

ALSO THERE'S THIS AMAZING CLIP from Highwang's blind run of the game. And yes, I'm sure this was completely intentional on Naramura's part. He is the cleverest demon.

Highwang posted:

Is this level even necessary? I'm wondering if you can skip it entirely outside of the boss trigger for a later level since it seems like the puzzle for this zone is just accessing the back side, however a clever or curious person can arrive here without solving the requisite puzzle. I want to say its skippable, but I didn't think to try and set it up for the LP.

Apart from what the last two posts already said, it's not much of a spoiler to say that this zone also holds a mandatory item that you didn't get in this video. So yeah, it's true that, overall, there may not be a whole lot that actually happens in the Gate of the Dead, but it is conclusively unskippable.

Funnily enough, Agent355 made (as much as he could) a beeline straight for this zone in his LP to get the Katana. It really is generally considered to have gone from possibly the least useful weapon in the first game to probably the most useful weapon in this one.

EDIT: Oh Highwang, you might want to edit the first post to include a link to the game's attract mode. (You just seem to have forgotten to do so, since it's been sitting on your channel for some time.)

GameTrekker fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 16, 2018

GameTrekker
Apr 2, 2011

Glalev posted:

If, after getting to the end, you don't ask Hel to send you out of the underworld so you can then grail back in without losing your everything, then you are stuck in there forever.
...Doesn't that just mean you're stuck until you do that? Like, yeah, you're stuck forever if you don't solve the puzzle, but all you have to do is solve the puzzle (or beat the boss without all your items, I guess, but you can just try the puzzle again if she kills you). This was an easily skippable puzzle before, so the change makes sense to me.

GameTrekker
Apr 2, 2011

Glalev posted:

No I mean, do the 7 doors puzzle, get the grail point, kill Hel, none of this matters. If, after doing the puzzle and getting to Hel, you don't ask her to boot you out of the eternal prison, you can -never- leave in the current patch.
Asking Hel to leave is the puzzle I was referring to, though. Buuut now I did a little research and drat, that softlock is really unfortunate. I imagine it'll get fixed soon, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameTrekker
Apr 2, 2011

Aaand this is the part that I said earlier I was gonna talk about.

So, this entrance into the Underworld... I love the lore behind why it exists. I won't explain it fully here because of spoilers, but basically the Corridor of Blood is an alien invention that connects the ruins in ways it's not supposed to be connected. This means that Lumisa is effectively using a cheating device to get to places in an unintended way (which relatedly explains why the main puzzle of the Underworld, the gates, cannot be solved from that entrance). Fun fact: The Underworld can actually be accessed from any Corridor of Blood entrance; the required orientation of the corridor is just different in each area.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I can't say I truly solved this puzzle myself. I did find the solution, but it was kind of dumb how I did. Basically I just figured that the blockade that can appear at the end of the Corridor of Blood MUST be important, so I went through all of the dialogues and tablets that I had recorded, found every instance of instructions for mantra use, and tried each one until one combination worked. I felt like a dummy once I found myself in the Eternal Prison and realized why it had worked.

GameTrekker fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 18, 2019