Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Who What Now posted:

Put me down as an Agent again. I'll have to go find the old thread to see how I did, the last update I remember I was the world's shittiest sniper.

On the list. Yeah you dided last time. 21 days alive, 20 missions, 9 kills. 19% improvement tho

e: the vote:

uh, things seem to be getting A LOT worse, FAST?? Psyke is now 26% infiltrated, but you gotta remember that it takes time for Xcom spies or w/e comes up with this info to get up to date. The chart is always at least one hour in the past, so maybe we killed all the aliens completely and it'll plummet to zero. Or that was the tip of the iceberg.

What do we do:
  • Investigate Psyke:
    a) Chronos Block. Slum.
    b) Civic Project. Slum.
  • Buy some cars or something
  • Recruit some more guys
  • Some other thing, write it in
  • Don't do poo poo, just ⏩ till the next interesting event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Put me down as a Physicist once again, although I don’t know what the fate of my character was in the last thread, I’ll assume I made it or I’m a clone now

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
you're in.

Last game you survived and were in the running for Most Valuable Physicist

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

you're in.

Last game you survived and were in the running for Most Valuable Physicist

I’m a physics Wizard

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Investigate Psyke:
a) Chronos Block. Slum.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
I would love to be a shooterman. I can barely hit the side of a barn with a laser pistol but since the best strategy is usually to just shoot and collapse any and all barns that may or may not contain aliens, I should be good enough.

Also: investigate the chronos slum. Let’s practice in the lovely part of town before we have to fight around literal glass houses.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

yeah investigate chronos block, don't take any chances with these goddamn aliens

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Luvcow posted:

Investigate Psyke:
a) Chronos Block. Slum.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Underwhelmed posted:

I would love to be a shooterman. I can barely hit the side of a barn with a laser pistol but since the best strategy is usually to just shoot and collapse any and all barns that may or may not contain aliens, I should be good enough.

Also: investigate the chronos slum. Let’s practice in the lovely part of town before we have to fight around literal glass houses.

Not any more dude, if you do a lot of damage to the map it hits the owner for the repair bill. Last game our first death was when I ordered a guy to leap across a tiny gap on the upper level of a moisture farm, he slipped, caused a massive cave in that wrecked the whole map. Nutrivend loving hated us for most of the game and missions sucked there because security would shoot us while we were alien hunting.

Also one of the interceptors took a pot shot at a UFO, missed, and leveled a hospital. Those guys were in debt by like 4 million the whole game.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Would you agent me but play me as a negotiator?
tyia

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Sign me up, butter cup. Agent please.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

I'm ready to kick some skeletoid rear end, sarge. Throw me in as an agent and lets burn some alien booty!!

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
never fails to hit me how fing ugly this game was. how can a sequel be so much worse in the graphics department than the original game. like if theres one thing that's easy to guarantee will improve

Luvcow posted:

imho the original xcom: ufo defense is one of the best games of all time (disclaimer: i don't play video games anymore so i've definitely missed the last 15ish years of them)

nah it still owns bones. there's an open source remake of the engine btw: https://openxcom.org/ (just the engine so you still need the original games for the assets). moddable too!

SWC please make me an engineer. I hope I can be bribed and defect to an enemy organization

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 4, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah the game looks weird and some things are hard to visually understand, but I don't think it's particularly ugly. They were going for an interesting left field look to things, but couldn't really pull it off.

The whole thing was really a reach & grasp deal, talked about it last thread, but they had really wild mechanics planned like tracking individual senators and stuff. They had a voight-kamph machine. I guess the relic from that is the motorcycle, it's a very fast car that holds one agent, but there's not really an in game reason to use it unless you have agents spread all out across the city for some reason.

A single dude in combat is hosed, you can't even have one dude investigate and call in backup for the real mission. Keeping guys out of base is stupid because they can't train. Bots can't train anyway. Maybe if we get a lot of bots it'll be worth it to station them around, it'd improve response time. Doing missions without a cargo vehicle to recover items blows tho, you have to manually recover artifacts and can't pick up live or dead aliens.

The aesthetics remind me of fallout if the bombs never went off and weird mold people appeared instead.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

There's a opensource remake of apocalypse too. It's like 75% fully completed. They are restoring stuff like corporate bosses and poo poo too. Personally I'd want to see semi-random maps generated in chunks like how x-com did battlescapes.

Anyways yeah, I really like what they were going for with apocalypse. IMO I liked it a lot more than the lovely comic book style of the first 2 games. Also some of the aliens are genuinely horrifying looking.

And the disruptor armor that I posted will never not look cool, too.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I dunno the palette is terrible and hand drawn sprites will always look better than raytraced models imo. way too upbeat and simcitey for a post-apocalyptic cyberpunk city too. style and mood wise I always liked tftd best

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Apoc does the battle scape randomization but the blocks are so huge you can't really tell unless it's a marathon doom mission. Basically that last slum mission was the same as the previous one, because each building block is a whole building and there weren't enough aliens to make the game add multiple buildings.

They really gotta do it for the city itself. Yeah it got grimy slums but it doesn't exactly work. It kinda comes thru the edges when you drive around at night, you get the slums with people tubes overhead and all that.

Tftd was basically a masterstroke.

Lobotomy Bob
Jun 13, 2003

Still need agents? I'm in.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Right, so we have a variety of various ranked agents. I went ahead and hired all possible recruits.
We were somehow able to score an android and a mutant, they weren't on the job market yesterday. Big Beef will be the mutant to help with 'negotiations.' I guess this means half the roster gets hosed over and kicked down till the next round of hires.

Jose used to work for Superdynamics building spaceships.
Junk was an office worker for Nutrivend, the food megacorp.
Big Beef City was a guidance councilor @ a Lifetree school for troubled youths. Now will reeducate transdimensional lifeforms.
William Henry Hairytaint was a vendbot at the mall. Customer service subroutines have been modified to include delivery of high explosives.

Resumes on HRs desk:
Fart Puzzle
Captain Billy Pissboy
Blade Runner
Statutory Ape
Who What Now
Underwhelmed
Gridlocked
Don't Touch ME
Lobotomy Bob

Taeke & hackbunny will handle the engineering department, now all departments have at least two goons.

I spent a bunch on equipment for the new guys. Beef is so loving weak he can't hold anything beyond the most basic equipment. Either that or ditch armor, that's suicide at this point.

Team prepared. Execute sweep for aliens?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

KICK SOME rear end

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
:siren: ALIENS DISCOVERED :siren:
lol I expected the sweep to turn out empty, these aliens are going hard as gently caress super early on

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

:siren::cthulhu::siren::cthulhu::siren::cthulhu::siren::cthulhu::siren:
:cthulhu::siren::cthulhu::siren::cthulhu::siren::cthulhu::siren::cthulhu:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

:siren: ALIENS DISCOVERED :siren:
lol I expected the sweep to turn out empty, these aliens are going hard as gently caress super early on

yeah, rip *cracks open a beer back at base*

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
If you still got a room for an agent, might as well sign me up as another meat popsicle.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XN00SPiIvQ

Alien Investigation -- Chronos Block:
Owner: Psyke. Type: Slums.
S1: Big Beef City, William Henry Hairytaint, MrQwerty, The Protagonist, The Cubelodyte, Luvcow

Cube instantly finds a trio of Pinkmen:

From what happened last mission, pinks appear to be weak to stun gas this run. I try it again but Cube botches the gently caress outta the pitch
https://i.imgur.com/6L9PSZg.gifv
I have Qwert throw down some gas as cover, hopefully they won't want to blindfire at us and will walk right up into a hail of reaction shots. Hopefully. Beef joins them.
https://i.imgur.com/2T4sLx9.gifv
Everyone else I split off and start trying to move to flank.

Well my whole strat this mission has been rear end retarded and we're in danger of getting guys killed already. Taint is insanely injured and has to evacuate now or risk unplanned destructive disassembly.
https://i.imgur.com/nfPKU7K.gifv

Unfortunately for him, the exit point is too far away. If he runs he won't make it before the aliens catch him on their turn. I heal up his critical wound (ripped open cyberarm) and then... I'm gonna smoke on it. If he moves and the aliens reaction attack him he will die. I need to think this thru.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Xcom 3: 2: Taint is insanely injured

This game is really odd. It's like they wanted to make megacorp intrigue simulator, but it's randomly XCOM.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
After lubricating my neurons with fortifying liquors, I've come up with a flawless plan. Protag kills the closest guy and then we get ready for the heavy weapons.
https://i.imgur.com/fxNoOrY.gifv
Well, it could have gone better. Didn't catch the actual hugeness of the giant explosion, but at least there's no more snakes. Luv trys to clean them up but it basically doesn't do anything.
https://i.imgur.com/bfI8Gna.gifv

I have Beef move to use mind techniques to ~understand the aliens. It doesn't work. Taint could have wiped these guys out with one clean shot I think. :shrug:
https://i.imgur.com/bnybVbU.gifv
Instead Cube throws some metal down and backs away. We're gonna wanna regroup. Qwert does some damage too.
https://i.imgur.com/s5h5M0I.gifv

The smokescreens I dropped worked, and then some civilians panic and run directly into the aliens.
https://i.imgur.com/IblN1JJ.gifv

I have Luv step up. Takes out the pink guy and finds a bunch of weird sedentary aliens. The worm is there but appears to be sleeping. Too bad the transport isn't ready yet.
https://i.imgur.com/ZXITF8V.gifv

Back on the ground, Qwerty takes out the remaining pinks. No more contact, but there are others waiting somewhere.
https://i.imgur.com/KmaeOAL.gifv
I have Taint head towards the exit, Protag will cover Cow.
Next turn Qwerty spots an alien through the grating. A blue guy. Can't get a clear shot. It's waiting for our other guys to come up the stairs and get blasted. Well gently caress that rear end in a top hat:
https://i.imgur.com/VlI487w.gifv
Hopefully he'll panic and pass out in the fumes.
https://i.imgur.com/3uALsbx.gifv

Hah it worked! Good job Protag.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Elukka posted:

Xcom 3: 2: Taint is insanely injured

This game is really odd. It's like they wanted to make megacorp intrigue simulator, but it's randomly XCOM.

mods, please

---

Getting to have a few badasses here.

We can let some time pass and review the infiltration chart or we can just belt out another mission I guess. Not enough time has passed for the chart to update. There are no more guys available to recruit, we need to wait another 6 hours for the day to go by @ midnight.

What do we do:
  1. Investigate Psyke:
    a) Civic Project. Slum.
  2. Buy some cars or something
  3. Some other thing, write it in
  4. Don't do poo poo, just ⏩ till the next interesting event

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'll be a biologist this time. I'm gonna press alien butts against a sliding door and make them fart. For...reasons.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I’ll enlist for agent duty.

Is embracing the alien agenda an option in this game?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Alright gently caress, it's for sex reasons okay?! You fukken finally dragged it out of me, drat.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Thank you for this play through. I've tried multiple times to play the original X-Coms but they haven't aged well.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
In. I mean, your a biochemist you're not whatever ok dude just get the work done

Lazyhound is on the list. You can't really help the aliens, they're eternally against you, and anyone they infiltrate is the same way. At the same time theoretically you could fight the aliens and nearly the entire city and win, but that'd be pretty fuckin nuts.

While I was posting the cops and some gang had a shootout right in the street but it doesn't really effect us, we're in the ok part of town.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Obviously we have to go to Civic Project

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
bring me back samples so i can find out which aliens taste the best

RaptorChief
Feb 21, 2007

Sign me up shoot aliens. Let’s do some civic projects!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Biotransport module is 85% researched, after that we can build them. Once we have a mission with a car that has one of those we can recover tissue samples. In the meantime there's some kind of alien artifact that is biological in nature you can look at.

Probably the module will be researched by early tomorrow morning but idk

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Good I need samples for a side project that involves making organs eh, larger.

Stay out of my quarters you motherfuckers I have important research going on in there.

E: also my crisper drawer in the break room fridge, leave that alone too.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Zen got high and couldn't figure out how to get to the mission site again, so I had to fast forward. Biology finally stops loving around:

Only other research is the alien artifact the blue guys hold. Engineering fires up the molecular forges or w/e and starts building the modules right away. According to my calculations it takes 10.5 hours to build one.

Psyke is MORE infiltrated, at 28%

Team ready. Investigate Civic project? (y/n)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
my vote: investigate civic project