Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Sounds like you're gonna need more dudes. Can I be a mutant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Alien missile thing and cloak.

I thought that second ship was toast for sure.

Also I’ve only played the new xcom games so if I were to buy one of the older ones on Steam which one should I get?

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

SniperWoreConverse posted:

robos are currently exhausted, we don't have a perfectly good relationship with the Sentient Engine Liberation Front and no machines are willing to get recruited right now. If you really NEED robotic android lifestyle you will need to wait until an in game day or few pass until some droid decides to quit their job at the bullshit factory. Plus side is if ur android you don't have to worry about getting trained, that poo poo is all firmware these days.

Currently there are a lot of decent humans and mutants ready to kill alien scum, but either way is actually fine -- I don't expect we are going to have any more missions until they drop more aliens, we have the city on lock atm and our guys survived the alien nightmare dimension. This time. So pick the guy you like.

There also nerd slots available but they get like 1 second of action at most and generally look at computer screens all day. P sure several got shot in the abdomen with explosive munitions tho. Basically the same thing as my last job.

literally one more shot would have killed the second ship and 8 of our best and brightest, it was a god drat miracle.

If you're looking at the olds there's not really to much to deal with. IMO TFTD & UFO are essentially the same game except there are a few changes. TFTD is like the palette swap of UFO, it's EXTREMELY similar to the first one, compared to the changes they made for the game we're playin in the thread even. UFO is the root of the franchise and extremely 90s XFiles Area 51 style, TFTD is an evolution of the concept that makes it so you have to fight underwater a lot. It adds a half dimension to combat, where some weapons work underwater and some work on land. TFTD is more difficult due to a bug in UFO where whenever you reloaded a game in UFO it reset to the easiest difficulty -- in TFTD I've heard that the easiest level is harder than the superhuman difficulty of UFO because they didn't know about the bug and just cranked up the difficulty based on feedback.

Dunno if that is really true, but the real bottom line is you should be able to buy all this poo poo for like $5 in some combo pack on steam or gog, and then tool around and find the one that appeals to you. Both TFTD & UFO are global instead of apoc being based around one city. TFTD was more futuristic iirc and had stuff like the EU and African Union compared to the more literally individual countries that happened in UFO

There's also a couple other xcoms that are extremely weird games that break the mold of tactical-strategy and make it fps-strat or fight sim / strat. I haven't played any of those tho.
Also my intro to the franchise was TFTD and imo it's a lot better than UFO. That feels like too easy and imo the graphics and music in TFTD are a lot more intense and cool once you start playing it. Real fan of the atmosphere, it's pretty oppressive & I always thought they did a good job of sucking you in. There's a bug where you can crash the research sequence and make the game unwinnable but I've never personally activated it, even being a dumbass kid.

It's also a decent into hell trying to wrangle the ui of super old games like this, compared to what we have now, but it its what it is.

Bottom line:
Ufo is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX0Cm3N_n6k

meanwhile tftd is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMyPVpogqcM

Apoc is in the op and the whole fuckin thread and the rest ur on your own.

Thanks for the rundown Sniper. There's a pack with a couple of em on Steam for $15 if anyone else wants in on dis.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

I'm glad I am not the coward mutant. If you find a really dumb mutant that would be apropos I think.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

yeehaw :coolfish:

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Once I have gear I will def go on the suicide misson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

i was one of the dumbasses that joined in the big group at the end. on the plus side it got me playing xcom on my own. you dont have to put me in. im fine just checking on the thread.