Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
my cowboy in rdr2 cosplays as lee van cleef and yours should too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nurge posted:

I love unforgiven, and it's a good movie, but it's a bit too on the nose gritty for me. I like my westerns to play on the fantasy of at least nominally ok guys and bad guys. Unforgiven doesn't really have that many characters that aren't complete assholes and/or murderers.

LOL, those are the exact reasons that I love it so much. Also, I think it was one of the first examples of a western that took a realistic look at how gunfights actually worked. It's sort of like "Heat" for the old west.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
yeah that's the point of Unforgiven

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

General Dog posted:

Much like Mifune's character in Yojimbo/Sanjuro, he's effectively the same character in the movies- he wears the same clothes, has the same mannerisms, etc. Whether he's "canonically" the same character is kind of an irrelevant question- there's not a Leone expanded universe, and the people making the movies certainly didn't give a poo poo.

What I always find ironic is that its called the man with no name trilogy but he always has a name

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What I always find ironic is that its called the man with no name trilogy but he always has a name

I think the closest he ever got was "Blondie" in Good/Bad/Ugly.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Blistex posted:

I think the closest he ever got was "Blondie" in Good/Bad/Ugly.

Joe in the first
Lefty in the second
Blondie in the third

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

General Dog posted:

You watch Once Upon a Time in the West for three reaons:

-the music
-Henry Fonda
-Claudia Cardinale's bomb-rear end titties

The only Henry Fonda movie I've seen and it's really hard to imagine him as being typecast as a hero because he plays the villain so drat well.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Rubellavator posted:

The only Henry Fonda movie I've seen and it's really hard to imagine him as being typecast as a hero because he plays the villain so drat well.

drat dude go watch 12 Angry Men right now

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Captain Splendid posted:

What ever happened to Lee Van Cleef?

He learned too late that Man is a feeling creature...

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Arrhythmia posted:

drat dude go watch 12 Angry Men right now

Also watch My Name is Nobody and There Was A Crooked Man

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Also watch My Name is Nobody and There Was A Crooked Man

Also My Darling Clementine and The Ox-Bow Incident

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Blistex posted:

I always cast my vote for Unforgiven, because it's the anti-western. It wasn't until my third viewing that I stopped 1/2 way through and said, "Holy poo poo, Clint is the Bad guy and Gene Hackman is the good guy!"

If you like Unforgiven and haven’t seen The Shootist, i would say that the former is the spiritual successor of the latter. It’s got John Wayne and Ron Howard but don’t let that dissuade you.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
its time to elevate all the lee van cleef fans, he did a western called da uomo a uomo, english title was instead 'death rides a horse'

it's his best movie, the studios never even kept the original film so any youtube quality ancient vhs rip is the best copy of the film that exists

so quit trying to find a better one and enjoy the movie, thanks

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

MASTER NINJA THEME SONG :dance:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Nurge posted:

I still think once upon a time in the west is probably the best western overall, but it's that despite bronson, not because of him. It's not that he was even that bad in that, just nowhere near the best western actors.

e: LEE VAN CLEEF

It's actually The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, but Once Upon A Time in the West is a close second.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
The best western is If You Meet Sartana Pray for your Death

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I can confirm that elderly Lee Van Cleef as a made-for-80's-TV ninja owns. It has all the campy ninja tropes from the 80's, smoke bombs, throwing stars, etc, plus anytime LVC's character does anything even vaguely ninja they use a super obvious stunt double. Great MST3K episode for sure.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

messing around and found this sabata cover its kind of interesting

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Q_WBoGs5VmY&t=2s

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Pussy Boss posted:

I can confirm that elderly Lee Van Cleef as a made-for-80's-TV ninja owns. It has all the campy ninja tropes from the 80's, smoke bombs, throwing stars, etc, plus anytime LVC's character does anything even vaguely ninja they use a super obvious stunt double. Great MST3K episode for sure.

Still more believable than IP man.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

IP Man: The Kevin Feige Story

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Lee Van Cleef is an effective dentifrice.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Man I love Unforgiven but Tombstone is still my favorite western because it's got almost all of my favorite actors from that time period. Also, the scene with Kurt Russell and Billy Bob Thorton is aces.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Julius CSAR posted:

Man I love Unforgiven but Tombstone is still my favorite western because it's got almost all of my favorite actors from that time period. Also, the scene with Kurt Russell and Billy Bob Thorton is aces.

Peak of Val Kilmer's career (IMO).

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Wyatt Earp was better than Tombstone. Fite me. Quaid was a better Doc than Kilmer.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Joe in the first
Lefty in the second
Blondie in the third

Almost like generic names others would give someone with no name :v:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Nurge posted:

Wyatt Earp was better than Tombstone. Fite me. Quaid was a better Doc than Kilmer.

both of these takes are insane.

I wish randy quaid played Holliday

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

Almost like generic names others would give someone with no name :v:

gently caress you my father's name is Lefty

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Nurge posted:

a take hotter than a supernova

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.
lap dogs, all of you!!

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Nurge posted:

:chloe:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

speaking of old westerns do you ever notice they just kind of gloss over the fact high plains drifter has clint eastwood rape a woman into loving him

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

speaking of old westerns do you ever notice they just kind of gloss over the fact high plains drifter has clint eastwood rape a woman into loving him

Who is they

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Speaking of Eastwood, the outlaw josey wales is a terrible movie with good one liners sprinkled throughout.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Rubellavator posted:

Speaking of Eastwood, the outlaw josey wales is a terrible movie with good one liners sprinkled throughout.

That movie takes on a very troubling context when you discover its written by a member the Klan.

Pale Rider is my fav

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I really wanna be like Lee

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

gary oldmans diary posted:

once upon a time in the west would have been as good except theres something awkward about every scene with charles bronson

it's because of his smug little permasmirk

i could never take him seriously as a tough guy because of that

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I actually watched this the other day for the first time and it made me rather uncomfortable.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Julius CSAR posted:

If you're into that I highly recommend checking out the band Spindrift, from LA. Their entire shtick is psychedelic spaghetti western music. They even have an album called "The Legend of God's Gun".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kXEDTEjDP4

thank you for this, they are my new favorite band that I'm going to bug everyone with

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Another Van Cleef song for the pile, this time by Bumblefoot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUBjwGEvDVQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

What if was Lee Van Queef and he was a transman

• Locked thread