Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Hey so if you're like me you haven't played rust in like a year and a half so this is just a PSA that the game is out of early access and Very Good. They added, poo poo like NPC towns, driveable boats, roaming NPCs, more monuments with actual puzzles, a squad ui, three or four major events, a goddamn hot air balloon. Anyway, someone without adhd should make a real thread about this instead of self-immolating with a low effort post l to spread awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
what if i just want to make everyone quit a server by being oppressively aggressive + having the most manpower

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Why isn’t there a Rust thread? Game is good and fun.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I play rust all the time. Its amazing. I'm part of the village on the facepunch US east 2 server.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Why isn’t there a Rust thread? Game is good and fun.

I got into this recently.
Nobody I know wants to play it with me so I’m stuck soloing. Is there a way for any of us to team up and try and take over a server?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kraftwerk posted:

I got into this recently.
Nobody I know wants to play it with me so I’m stuck soloing. Is there a way for any of us to team up and try and take over a server?

I bought it a while ago and never played it. Just finished updating it and am going to jump in somewhere.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

They added electricity and its like a totally different game. The potential for traps is amazing. I can't wait to have laser trip wires open up doors and unleash autoturrets on raiders,

Also you guys are welcome to join up with our giant friendly RP village we have going on facepunch US east 2. Its like 15+ people but I dunno if its something goons would be into.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Im strongly considering it.
It’s almost impossible to get better weapons or armor due to all the people outnumbering you and ambushing you.

One time I got double headshotted from the bushes by some guys when I was cutting trees. I came out trying to charge them with a mace and the guy was like “whoa whoa whoa let’s talk about this I’ll give you back the wood”
His buddy was aiming his bow at me and I was hiding behind him like it was a hostage situation. Eventually the guy gave bow dude the nod and I lost my mace too.

Should’ve just tried to kill them.

Animals are so rare in the game and I had full hide clothes from leather I had. I was trying to build a winter base away from everyone.

These 100+ player servers are a death trap. Too difficult to get the resources you need to tech up.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

The key is to just build in an out of the way area and avoid monuments except to try to find new items and recycle. When I play solo and need blueprints, I usually build a small 1x2 base near a smaller monument in the snow area that still can spawn the green crates. Then I pretty much just farm it and learn everything I can until I get raided. I really only farm monuments to get stuff to learn. If I am going for scrap or components I usually go farm the ocean and do the diving stuff. Its pretty quiet and if you see anyone you can just jump in the water and swim away. Farming the road is also pretty decent if you need scrap and components. You can also look up the map on playrust.io and find the powerlines and farm those as well since they also spawn the same road loot. Just don't get too greedy and return to your base often to drop off loot.

Once you know a waterpipe shotgun or double barrel you can also just camp outside of a large clan compound and try to gank people. Its really cheap for the pontential rewards since a waterpipe shotgun is so cheap. Just gank a guy, take his good gear, and run to your base and hide.

Also its really good to have multiple bases. Even a 1x1 with a triangle airlock can come in handy since you don't have to start from stage 0 after getting raided. Plus it makes it more expensive to raid. I would look into some base building videos on youtube from Evil Wurst or Princevids so you can learn all of the building tricks.

I really have been having a ton of fun with Rust though. It's a good mix of survival and PVP combat and cool base building to really have a lot of depth.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Tell me more about what an “RP village” is. I am fascinated by the emergent gameplay that people get into in this game. Like how some clans have a slavery system for new recruits to do all the farming for them.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
New patch, electricity.

Gonna make all sorts of new trap houses real interesting........

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

OK I learned what RP is in Rust, playing on the primitive server I’ve been soloing. Some people were advertising their viking village in chat so I went over to join them to kill some time. They were struggling with their buildings and didn’t have a lot of loot or resources.

Before we could start some farming runs we proceeded to be chain raided by at least three different groups, but one main group kept coming back for about two hours. I guess they just like killing nakeds with no loot. There were so many bodies littering the village that my FPS was down to 26 at one point.

One of these dumb kids left a building wide open AND no lock on the tc so the invaders took it over and the raid was coming from inside the village for a good hour.

The best part is that the main two guys met me on the road to the village. Asked what the server rules are. I said yeah you can kill on sight, raid steal whatever. It’s still Rust.

So it was all my fault. Whoops!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Man I am real bad at pvp. Playing solo on a server full of aggressive duos everywhere is frustrating.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Man I am real bad at pvp. Playing solo on a server full of aggressive duos everywhere is frustrating.

On my 4th base in 4 days, doin real good.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

We have our village on US east wired up with power now. A dude built a power plant with windmills and solar panels and ran lines to everyones bases. Its pretty awesome that my base is lit up at night and I can close my doors from inside my base. Next step is rigging up autoturret towers.

https://gyazo.com/118a561e3622e18f6c412c95dc550792

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
OK but minecraft style bullet factories when

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Stealthgerbil posted:

We have our village on US east wired up with power now. A dude built a power plant with windmills and solar panels and ran lines to everyones bases. Its pretty awesome that my base is lit up at night and I can close my doors from inside my base. Next step is rigging up autoturret towers.

https://gyazo.com/118a561e3622e18f6c412c95dc550792

This is fantastic. I'm horrible at this game.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I wonder if this game will let us automate some of the busywork so I can focus on roaming.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Kraftwerk posted:

I wonder if this game will let us automate some of the busywork so I can focus on roaming.

I've got some pals that seem to understand this poo poo game. They disappear and find groups of people, end up allied, and are raiding.

I play so little of this that whenever I sign on, namely to play with these guys, they're in the middle of some intricate operation. I'm across the map, naked and afraid.

My present strategy is
- Get some basic tools
- go by every single monument on my path to meeting with my buds
- break every barrel, look the place dry
- drop off all my poo poo, spend 5 minutes hanging out with them, doing whatever they're doing
- Get murdered by some AK or boltie from leagues away
- rinse repeat.

Sometimes I do something useful, like find a ladder hatch blueprint or a satchel charge. I try to beeline home to get someone else to research it, because as Baron Von Clownshoes, i'm bound to gently caress it up.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I reach a point in the game where I have a well fortified base with 4 furnaces churning out stacks and stacks of metal but all I have is like a crossbow with double barreled shotgun and some hide clothes with wood Armor.

Basically I get stuck somewhere in tier 1.5. I find the drops from monument puzzles are rarely as generous to me as they are to some clans that settle near me.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I have a base in a cave. I dunno if they're all the same but mine has a drop that requires a rope bucket to escape. I walled off both exits so anyone who explores the cave either has explosives to blow through it or has to kill themselves.

One time some guy was chasing me so I ran into my cave where he killed me. I waited 5 minutes and got all my stuff back as well as his.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I have a base in a cave. I dunno if they're all the same but mine has a drop that requires a rope bucket to escape. I walled off both exits so anyone who explores the cave either has explosives to blow through it or has to kill themselves.

One time some guy was chasing me so I ran into my cave where he killed me. I waited 5 minutes and got all my stuff back as well as his.

Tell me more about how you set up the rope bucket escapade. We've got a cave base and all it does is piss me off when I'm jumping across beams.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

I reach a point in the game where I have a well fortified base with 4 furnaces churning out stacks and stacks of metal but all I have is like a crossbow with double barreled shotgun and some hide clothes with wood Armor.

Basically I get stuck somewhere in tier 1.5. I find the drops from monument puzzles are rarely as generous to me as they are to some clans that settle near me.

What you should do to get better stuff is make a little 1x1 with a triangle airlock near a low tier monument that spawns green crates. Harbor, Oxum's gas station, and sewer branch are all great for this. You just do naked loot runs and as soon as you get anything decent that you don't know, you run right back to your little shack and learn it. This will at least get you mid tier weapons like the Semi auto rifle, the custom SMG, etc. The only way a solo player will get an AK or bolt rifle though is if you either get really lucky from an airdrop or if you can manage to run the boat event or take down the chopper. I find PVP is the best way to get an endgame weapon and the SAR is good enough that you can take down a guy with an AK if you get the jump on them.

Alternatively, just craft waterpipe shotguns and camp outside of large clan compounds. Ganking a guy and taking his crap is often one of the easiest ways of get end game loot.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Tell me more about how you set up the rope bucket escapade. We've got a cave base and all it does is piss me off when I'm jumping across beams.

They are part of the cave system. I have gotten quite proficient at beam jumping.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Electricity rules! I made a setup where I can close my main gate to my shop by flipping a switch inside. Then I can flip another switch to open the turret doors and mow everyone down. Its great for dealing with dumb trolls.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

The ideal way to set up your cave base is set up three or so armored walls at the normal entrance past the jumping puzzle, and then set up doors at the bucket end of the cave. You get in by throwing yourself down the hole because leaving doorways up in the regular entrance is a bad idea, due to them having MUCH less HP than armored walls.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Day three of the wipe on the primitive server and I log in to find that someone raided us. But they didn’t go for the loot room behind a garage door no. They somehow knew exactly where our tc was and blew through a stone wall to get to it (10 satchels instead of 9. No C4 on this server) and then installed their own tc behind a triangle of sheet metal.

I fail to see the point of this other than to be a total shithead.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Well, yes, that's the idea.

:lost: but with Rust instead

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Day three of the wipe on the primitive server and I log in to find that someone raided us. But they didn’t go for the loot room behind a garage door no. They somehow knew exactly where our tc was and blew through a stone wall to get to it (10 satchels instead of 9. No C4 on this server) and then installed their own tc behind a triangle of sheet metal.

Your TC should always be located in the most secure room of the entire base together with the key loot.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

My brother just bought me Rust, so uh, I thought it was like a big mostly empty island with other people, whats up with all these screenshots of boats, icebergs, empty buildings, radiation suits, etc

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Frog Act posted:

My brother just bought me Rust, so uh, I thought it was like a big mostly empty island with other people, whats up with all these screenshots of boats, icebergs, empty buildings, radiation suits, etc

Literally play it and open your map by pressing and holding G.

The island is actually divided up into numerous biomes with abandoned buildings called monuments or "Radtowns". As a way of capping your progress you need to wear certain gear in order to enter them so that it keeps you from being irradiated.

As for the biomes themselves, outside the forest/beach areas the winter zones require heavier clothing, the deserts require lighter clothes and so on.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
The question i must ask is:
Is it good if i play it offline and solo? Because i dont care about multiplayer crafting games.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

strategery posted:

Is it good if i play it offline and solo? Because i dont care about multiplayer crafting games.

you can't, apparently, unless you make your own server locally

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

strategery posted:

No it’s not good. The entire point of the game is to build and fortify yourself as best as you can while attempting to survive in a hostile player environment. The fun of the game is all the weird emergent experiences that take place. The frustration is that you’ll die a lot and probably be raided in the beginning. People will try to rob and kill you and are very brutal.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
does it still have the dumb tool cabinet that stops you building beside people's bases?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

kcer posted:

does it still have the dumb tool cabinet that stops you building beside people's bases?

Yes but I think it's not dumb but rather cool

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Building a sweet base is a ton of fun. My base right now on US east 2 is full of traps and autoturrets. I kind of hope I get raided just to see what happens but it would suck to lose my sweet guns and stuff.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

cave bases are the best, they're literally unraidable if built right and cost next to nothing. it allows for a lot more raiding instead spending time farming mats. hurray cave bases!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Yes but I think it's not dumb but rather cool

so the game is actually not good now

e:

quote:

they're literally unraidable