Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

No its good for the game. Getting griefed in would really suck. You can still place twig floors and ladders all over peoples bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I think it's pretty fun when I don't have to worry about people touching my sweet loot and can instead worry about distributing it when dying. They are pretty cheesy though, I guess I'm just another rear end in a top hat in Rust! :shrug:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I guess I don't understand why TC's are a bad thing? Raiding and griefing is certainly still possible (see my example up thread where someone found and took out my TC and griefed my base with one of their own behind sheet metal).

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I've had tool chests secured in all my bases and they've all been destroyed/taken over.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I guess I don't understand why TC's are a bad thing? Raiding and griefing is certainly still possible (see my example up thread where someone found and took out my TC and griefed my base with one of their own behind sheet metal).

Last I played it you couldn't build anything in the cabinet's radius

Old rust was so good because raiding wasn't so pointlessly prohibitive, and with the introduction of it and with how expensive stuff is (was?) it just killed the fun part of rust for me and the dudes i played with

In old rust we'd make elevated bases, bases within bases, trapdoor bases, all sorts of good stuff. The tool cabinet killed it

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Game has improved dramatically ever since I doubled up on my ram so I can load in under 30 minutes and have a browser open during the occasional downtime of cooking meat / etc. There's no fuckin' around simulator quite like it for my money.

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.
Do we have a group or clan anywhere? Ive started playing, but its only been solo so far.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Magnum1371 posted:

Do we have a group or clan anywhere? Ive started playing, but its only been solo so far.

Ditto

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
there was one a few years ago for like 1-1.5 years but most of the people involved burnt out, id be kinda surprised if goons get another big presence going cause most ppl inclined are probably bored of the game

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

kcer posted:

anti fun, much like the tool cabinet

Throwing this term around unironically in 2019 is a fantastic way to out yourself as a bastion of godawful opinions.

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.
Ive been tooling around with the new electricity mechanics. The player sensor is pretty rad, and judging by the components they've added you could almost fully automate a base now, what with logic gates and all. Wireless transmitters have also added room for even more skulduggery. I'm just imagining a base set up so its gate is set to close when they enter the compound walls and it reveals turrets to mow down raiders. It could even page you when its doing so.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Pity there's no goon clan to jump in with.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Add me on Steam if you want to play with me on the isRusty.net servers. I have kits on them so I'm going to play exclusively on them.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969979289

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

All of the new electrical systems are awesome. Like turret trap base that opens when players get near? Hell yea!

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
There is a guy on YouTube called Welyn who makes hilarious Rust videos. I don’t usually watch Let’s Plays in general but the last four or five months of his content have been side-splittingly funny. He turns his playthoughs into little stories and his interactions with people are great.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Utgorn

Sometimes he’ll find some clan who’s being a dick to a little kid or something and just steal the poo poo out their whole base and give it to the kid and quit the server. In one video he pretended he didn’t know how to play and people kept trying to help him and he just kept doing the dumbest poo poo ever, I’m laughing while thinking about it.

Anyway you should check these out. There’s also a guy called Blooprint who’s not bad but Welyn is a master of the art form.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I have run into that guy before. He actually messed with our village https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx4R1Va8rjE&t=692s. He broke into a guys base that had stopped playing since it was like the last week of the wipe. It was also super early in the day so we barely had anyone on. Still, he did get some good loot.

Some people have said he stages everything but his videos are legit. He just edits everything and cuts out the many deaths to make a good video. He is pretty good at rust though and has a knack for getting into decayed bases.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
He leaves in his many deaths, but not usually how he got back to whatever point he was killed off at. I just like how he spins them into interesting narrative yarns and often helps people out instead of just being a dick (which seems to be the point of the game mostly).

It seems like he does join servers right before wipes, though, because there is always a lot of stuff around.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Stimpee’s videos are great too, just to show off the absurdity of the Rust playerbase at times. Some of the videos when he was playing with Kristian had me crying laughing.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

If anyone is interested in joining up with our village, feel free to enter https://discord.gg/yB9xhWG

I know some people were looking for a group and our RP village is pretty fun and laid back.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That list of rules does not look like fun good lord also lol at the weekly tax list. Plz explain if I'm wrong because that I suck at all the rust stuff that doesn't involve popping people in the face and taking all their poo poo

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Yea the weekly tax isn't really enforced, its more of a leaderboard. Like its a big RP village, we work together to farm up walls and stuff. Its not for everyone, also not sure what other rules you think are bad since they are pretty common sense stuff.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

RP Villages generally aren’t for guys who prefer to roam and kill for sustenance, no. Different play styles.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Definitely true. When I want to do the roam and kill playstyle I build on the other side of the map. The village is fun for player interaction and building cool bases. I don't think I would get to use electricity outside of a basic light system if I was playing solo.

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Stealthgerbil posted:

If anyone is interested in joining up with our village, feel free to enter https://discord.gg/yB9xhWG

I know some people were looking for a group and our RP village is pretty fun and laid back.

Link is dead. And I suppose any goon presence in rust is better than no presence. Getting a bit tired of Solo.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Yeah I'd rather play with goons. Is there no private server up? Just US East Facepunch 2???

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I host two servers. One is a 2x server that has no decay and is otherwise vanilla and the other is a 100x battlefield server.

67.20.141.254:28017 is the battlefield server.
67.20.141.254:28019 is the 2x server

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Be Depressive posted:

There is a guy on YouTube called Welyn who makes hilarious Rust videos. I don’t usually watch Let’s Plays in general but the last four or five months of his content have been side-splittingly funny. He turns his playthoughs into little stories and his interactions with people are great.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Utgorn

Sometimes he’ll find some clan who’s being a dick to a little kid or something and just steal the poo poo out their whole base and give it to the kid and quit the server. In one video he pretended he didn’t know how to play and people kept trying to help him and he just kept doing the dumbest poo poo ever, I’m laughing while thinking about it.

Anyway you should check these out. There’s also a guy called Blooprint who’s not bad but Welyn is a master of the art form.

I wish I could be as good as Welyn. I'm terrible at rust. This one time I found a supply drop grenade and figured dropping it right on my base will mean I'm sure to get it. Nope. After killing 2 people some geared guy showed up and killed me after a bit of a fight. Then I got my only gun ran back out to try to get him while he was low and he killed me again and I rage quit.

The game isn't fun if you suck at PVP. Lots of people can eat your lunch and its impossible to contest things like supply drops, decayed bases or monuments. So after a while I realized I was just spending enormous amounts of time in <50 player servers farming mats and building fancy bases and not much else since I can't PVP my way out of monuments to get the good poo poo.

At this point I've had more fun with the game watching Welyn's lets plays than I did actually playing the game myself which is unfortunate.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The last time I played Rust was during the era of the Cheeto bears. When the server was goon only, it was a peaceful Wyoming Simulator 2015.

When I re-install what are some good first moves to make? I'm going to spend an hour in game pre-discord meet, pre-server settle, just to learn the buttons and get the location instincts back. God, I just got the flashback of taking the route from my lighthouse to the big road and all the military installations.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
I am not playing at the moment but it seems like the most fun thing to do is join a server that will wipe fairly soon and see how quickly you can progress to an AK or better.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

This has worked well for me and is probably not what actual good people do but when I start as a solo, first thing I do is run to a remote low tier monument in the snow area (sewer branch, harbor, or gas stations are the best). I build a bow and kill any animals I see on the way for animal fat and I drop sleeping bags along the way for respawn points.

When I get there, I try to get a TC down on a stone foundation, lock it, and then start farming until I have a 1x2 with a triangle airlock. Getting the TC down first gives you a safe enough spot since it takes a little effort to destroy. Hopefully I killed enough animals to have enough lowgrade for a furnace, otherwise I head out. Also I pretty much always build some sort of bunker base entrance because its the best way to not get raided if you have a tiny base.

At that point, I get a basic gearset with a bow and spear and start roaming around farming and trying to kill other players. My main focus is getting my base to stone with a metal door asap. Then I usually build a small 1x1 with an airlock super close to the monument to act as a farm base since its faster to farm to that. Then I start the scrap grind and work on getting a level 1 bench. I usually recycle everything I find because scrap is more important then most components in the beginning. At this point, I usually look for the closest cave on the map because the cave crates have a high chance of having a metal pick or hatchet.

Once I have a workbench, I build a research table and start learning stuff. First I usually learn metal tools and then I try to find a revolver or waterpipe shotgun. That just involves looting as many brown crates as possible so the low tier monument and the road is usually pretty good. Once I have a revolver, I go out and try to kill players and get their better or I head to a middle tier monument and camp it. Door camping giant clan compounds is also really good for getting mid tier gear. Also if you build close to the ocean, it is a really good way of getting scrap and components and is pretty safe if you bring a dive tank and flippers.

I wait until I have a tier 2 gun before getting a level 2 workbench so my main focus is finding a green military crate and finding any decent gun. Once I have found a semi auto rifle, tommy gun or python, I usually start roaming the map and getting into trouble and finding guys with AKs. Once I have gotten a tier 2 gun, med sticks, and roadsign armor, I usually consider myself good for the wipe so I don't focus on grinding scrap for a level 3 bench until I have a level 3 gun or explosive ammo. I usually upgrade the core of my base to metal and the TC room to armored but I leave the outside of the base stone so it does not appear to be valuable.

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

I typically fart around on really low pop servers, i think one is called ACR no decay. There's very seldom over 10 people on it, which makes PVP encounters genuinely random and not exciting since its not just spawn > farm > get murdered over and over again. I've popped into one of your servers a while ago, and im logging in right now just to goof off, but in the future if you wanna duo let me know.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I'm down to play, just add me on steam. Haven't had a ton of time IRL so I have been screwing around on my 100x server making weird electrical contraptions or traps.

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Request sent! I'm gonna be a bit sporadic over the next few weeks since im moving to the east coast, but I'm down to make death traps if and when our time zones line up

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

ChauchetRedemption posted:

I typically fart around on really low pop servers, i think one is called ACR no decay. There's very seldom over 10 people on it, which makes PVP encounters genuinely random and not exciting since its not just spawn > farm > get murdered over and over again. I've popped into one of your servers a while ago, and im logging in right now just to goof off, but in the future if you wanna duo let me know.

This has been my experience too. The most fun I’ve had with this game is trying to tech up through monument puzzles and farming resources to build elaborate “raid-proof” bases. Then come up with my own manufacturing operation for guns and other equipment. It’s a ridiculous time sink. After a while I finish gearing up and try to fight only to get my rear end kicked. Basically any time I contest anything in this game I typically lose because the other players are better than me.

I don’t think this is the way the game is meant to be played. I think it’s more about playing mind games to steal someone’s base or finding decayed bases and converting them to yours. You don’t really farm so much as you go around killing people and taking their stuff instead. The game makes it seem like farming is for chumps and should only be done if you need to build a quick storage spot or a raid base.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I took it for a spin on Lthis Memorial Day Weekend like some kinda hosed up nature camping trip. I forgot how long this poo poo took to load. Now I remember why I'd go in hard for like 48 hours at a time. After I log out I'm done. I thought the asset warmups were a 1 time per server thing. I can be playing this game that has a prepare coffee and walk dog startup time. That poo poo is too high stakes.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Get some ram and an SSD? It takes me 30 seconds to load in

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Kraftwerk posted:

This has been my experience too. The most fun I’ve had with this game is trying to tech up through monument puzzles and farming resources to build elaborate “raid-proof” bases. Then come up with my own manufacturing operation for guns and other equipment. It’s a ridiculous time sink. After a while I finish gearing up and try to fight only to get my rear end kicked. Basically any time I contest anything in this game I typically lose because the other players are better than me.

I don’t think this is the way the game is meant to be played. I think it’s more about playing mind games to steal someone’s base or finding decayed bases and converting them to yours. You don’t really farm so much as you go around killing people and taking their stuff instead. The game makes it seem like farming is for chumps and should only be done if you need to build a quick storage spot or a raid base.

the game is really just meant to be dominated by numbers. have more people, take everyone's stuff

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

I took it for a spin on Lthis Memorial Day Weekend like some kinda hosed up nature camping trip. I forgot how long this poo poo took to load. Now I remember why I'd go in hard for like 48 hours at a time. After I log out I'm done. I thought the asset warmups were a 1 time per server thing. I can be playing this game that has a prepare coffee and walk dog startup time. That poo poo is too high stakes.

You can skip the asset warm up by hitting disconnect when it starts counting then reconnect.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

This game really does need an SSD and 16gb of ram. Also they are lowering the research cost of tier 2 stuff from 250 down to 125 and tier 3 from 750 to 500. Also horseback riding is on staging!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Hit me on Disc if you want to help me gently caress people up Agoat#1337

I have a basic base w/ a buddy and will happily gently caress up some of the neighborhood w/ you to help you build a base of your own or you can hang w/ us whatever you want!!

Edit: Raid ready. Satchels being crafted now.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 2, 2019