Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Same here. I'd love to join a goon clan on a vanilla server. What does everyone think of the modular cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
How long do typical play sessions last? And how easy is it to start from scratch and build up to usable stuff, given that I assume any offline bases will be raided/wrecked/looted more often than not

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I'm in. Joined the discord, looking forward to maybe some gaming.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

i've been goofing off on this relatively calm server to get the hang of the new farming/chopper/cars situation. it's max group size of 4 but if a few people want to mess around and get the hang of things i'm happy to help bootstrap you. i'm not the best at pvp, but i've been known to get some dirty sneak kills and i think i understand most of the game systems pretty well. rust pubbies love to rate themselves by hours on steam and i'm at about 350, but a lot of that is hiding in the dark waiting for the crate at airfield to unlock

i'm excited about modular cars - i haven't really used em much, but i'm very interested in seeing whether roadkills are doable. my friends and i made a name for ourselves playing cars only in PUBG (i had multiple seasons with world #1 road kills per game) and if something like that is possible in rust i would be very happy

i think i just joined "the discord" (is it the Crimson Kings one? lots of dead invites in this thread) so maybe you're all ahead of me, but there are a few big questions when deciding what server to play on:

* official, community, or modded?
official has no group size limit which can go either way. i'm not sure about lately, but in 2018 and 2019 i ran into hackers a fair amount on officials. and starting on an official with no BPs is kind of rough, because a good chunk of players will have all the important BPs already and can just focus on roaming and raiding. i think they're still super popular, but a lot of players have sworn them off because of the combo of hackers and massive groups ('zergs') dominating wipes
community has the double-edged sword of active moderators - this means hackers and shitheads are way more likely to be dealt with, but sometimes also admins can abuse, or specifically not punish insane racism, which is not fun to play around. less popular community servers can also sometimes vanish without a trace, which sucks if you've put work into that wipe
modded allows for things like resource gathering multipliers, upkeep reduction, tech tree limitations...the classic modded setup is like 2x or 5x and that mostly means giant bases and tons of raiding. seems kinds of like a bad scene though

* what map wipe and blueprint wipe cycle?
officials extremely rarely (on the scale of years i think?) BP wipe and generally map wipe on the first thursday of the month, at the same time as the monthly content patch.
community runs a whole gamut - monthly map wipe with semimonthly BP wipe, weekly map wipe with monthly BP wipe, weekly full wipe...
short BP wipes are a serious grind for a small crew. it can be really rough having to repeatedly get garage door and ladder hatch as a solo/duo/trio. but the BP grind scales really well so if we're putting in hours as a large group, shorter BP wipe cycles aren't a huge deal

* what server population?
if we have more than 3 or 4 players in the group, that eliminates the popular low/mid pop solo/duo/trio sized community server scene.
there are some well-known high-pop community servers that have administration nailed down, but early in the wipe cycle there's a big queue to get on. this sucks imo.
high-pop servers can be brutal in terms of the amount of time you spend getting killed (especially early in a wipe), but with a big group this would be less of a dampener on the experience.
high-pop servers are where the wild politics and drama happen though. eve online style territory control stories and cool stuff like that
mid- to low-pop servers are very different scenes, less KOS and more measured interactions. easier to get into for people who are very new to the game, but there's usually one clan that dominates and raids everyone by the end of a wipe

anyway i'd love to play with a larger group. i usually only play with a trio at most, my usual rust partner just had a kid, and the new systems seem pretty sweet. if we can get a big rear end active group we could probably make some fun drama on an official, but if we're gonna be a smaller/less-active group we'll have to choose carefully

btw idiotsavant a typical play session is an hour at the very least. there's a decent amount of overhead from dying, respawning, running to base, gearing up, moving items around...so you don't get a whole lot done in short sessions. but if the infrastructure exists for a larger group, especially with multiple bases, nearly any playtime can be productive.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I'm down for relatively calm server to screw around on and learn. What's Discord btw? All the links I've clicked have been dead

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I feel like the game is way more fun with a big group, I feel like even though bigger targets are aimed for due to bigger potential payout, there's still more security in numbers, and building a big town was the best time I ever had with the game. For the time being I'll hop in on the server that uniball pointed out, just to shake the (ha ha) rust off.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

idiotsavant posted:

How long do typical play sessions last? And how easy is it to start from scratch and build up to usable stuff, given that I assume any offline bases will be raided/wrecked/looted more often than not

A typical play session should probably be well more than 4 hours especially when starting a new server, just to get a base up at the very least. You start off with a bunch of key blueprints but building up can depend on how you play. If you're good at PVP then it's best to go roaming and kill other players for the stuff they have to research. If you're like me then you hang around smaller monuments like gas station or supermarket and bash barrels for components and scrap to research new BP's.

If you upgrade a base to stone and use steel doors, you'll be ok for a couple of days especially on a chill server where it's a fresh wipe. On a sweaty server, it's hard to tell when you get raided since it's a balance of a few things (How juicy your base looks, how secluded it is and if you're parked near any large groups.) Your best bet for the first day is to attempt to get a garage door BP, a couple thousand metal frags and make a 2x1 with a metal core and garage door to TC. Only the people who aren't simply opportunists will try to get in (ie. more heavily geared)

A 2x1 built in the typical style with a metal core will take 17 satchels or 4 C4 at minimum and most people won't bother until the end of wipe on raiding a little 2x1.

Rust is such an awesome game.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Just a heads up, the Crimson Kings server is not currently active. Sorry for the confusion.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

last night i plugged in my midi keyboard and hopped around a couple nearly full 400-slot servers and went to the stage at outpost and did karaoke requests. getting a bunch of teen gamers to sing Rocket Man at 3am was quite the experience

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Is there a Goon Clan or a Goon Discord for Rust now? It's really not fun to play alone.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Bible Ian Black posted:

I'm in. Joined the discord, looking forward to maybe some gaming.

does anyone have a link? would be interested in joining up and trying this out with some other goons...

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Server is all done now :)

Gooses and Geeses fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 3, 2020

beneatsfood
Feb 19, 2008
From someone who has played quite a bit of the game: If you can't handle losing don't play Rust. Some goon made a server and banned me after I kept owning him and taking tier 3 loot from him whining about something that didn't happen. Don't waste your time with servers where the admin is playing.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
We just wiped for a week to a tiny little map which might be fun. We'll see!

edit: Server is down now :)

Gooses and Geeses fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 3, 2020

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Gooses and Geeses posted:

We just wiped for a week to a tiny little map which might be fun. We'll see!

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/rust/7480878

When I get home tonight I'll try it out. I have a fondness for small maps on low pop

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

welcome to wipe day, they added berries, teas, and a mixing station. i'm gonna casually play on the server i mentioned earlier, Naked and Alone's max-group-size-4 monthly mapwipe semimonthly BP wipe server

it's pretty low pop but i'm getting old and i don't have a big crew so that's fine with me. since the CK discord is 'officially inactive' here's a discord. there are channels for rust

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

OK i set up a starter base southwest of airfield. killed a noob and chased his partner back to their base at T19. i would like to own them sometime. my short term goal is to get the BPs required for my medium-term goal, a reasonably sized hemp breeding/farming operation. this is to support my long-term goal, cars and choppers and bases to support them. blowing up the T19 base is a side quest

priority BPs are:
  • solar panel
  • large battery
  • light
  • large planter box
  • garage door
  • ladder hatch
  • ladder

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
When are you normally playing? Happy to give things a go

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

eastern time nights & weekends mostly. maybe weekday working hours if things are slow. i'm 5-1 in pvp tonight and playing for another hour or two if you (or anyone else) want to get in on it!

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Hey goons. It looks like this thread has gone a little quiet so I don't know if the other server is still operating, but I, too, have launched a Rust server that is friendly (in the Rust sense of the word) to all. I'm looking for folks to join in and beat each other to death with rocks (and then harvest the corpses). The new update drops tomorrow so there will be a full map/BP wipe but if you'd like to check out your connection to the server or give any ideas/feedback they are welcome.

You can find the server in the modded list by searching for "GamerHaus".

Resources gathering/looting is 2x but that is the only gameplay change. Other than a few informational UI tweaks it's close to a vanilla experience. Would love to get some goon regulars in to get some extra action going.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

I tried joining the past like 5 discord links that were posted in this thread but assume they're timed out due to the length of time or whatever. Anyways this thread seems pretty dead, but I'm sorta in a bored zone with Warcraft so if there's goon groups running about in Rust someone give me a discord link or something.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
We do need a goon zerg to play. Imagine the domination! Someone organize it so I can join. Thanks

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
I wanna play this with goons again like the good old BMW days of dreadfort german engineering.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Id play some rust. Is there any active rust groups? I've been playing with another eve echos goon and we have just kinda been messing around but game seems fun these days.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I don't think there is an active organised group. Maybe the issue is the time commitment? I personally couldn't commit to playing X hours a week. Plus I'm in the UK so I wouldn't be able to play in a group with US people during prime time for too long.

We could do a village kind of thing. Pick a server and a grid. Each group has their own base and we agree not to raid/kill each other. If someone is getting raided then try to help them. Share BPs and stuff.

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

Haven't played for years but the game is legit pretty drat good now. Feels like the average player's skill has greatly increased as well, I'm getting messed up left and right now. Gotta shake off the rust. It'd be pretty sweet if we could get a goon group going or something.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

i likely won’t grind as hard as i have for past wipes (i’m playing echoes, with a bunch of you evidently) but i’d definitely do some rusting if someone else picks the server and gets things going

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

Would yall be interested in playing on monthly wipe servers or would you prefer weekly wipe servers? I'm really liking monthlies right now because a bunch of them are usually slightly lower pop after the first week which lets me re-learn the game and get my pvp skills back. The only issue is finding a medium pop monthly because right now all of the monthlys without group size limits (like solo/duo/trio/quad etc) are either extremely packed (150<)or super low pop (<30). Might change in a few hours due to US TZ working hours.

nakieon fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 16, 2020

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Really surprised there aren't more goons active in this game. Hope that changes in the near future.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
there were a lot and it was great but then one of the guys organizing it quit (me) and the other one turned out to be a trump crazy guy

and there was just a lot of burnout

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Any goons still playing this? Thought about buying it.

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
I'm still interested in playing again. This game is fuckin loaded with stuff now compared to back when I played it with goons in 2015. It seems like goons get interested in these type of games when it starts getting cold outside, so it might be a good time to give Rust another shot for those who haven't played in forever.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Do we have a discord? I’ll but it today on sale if we have something going on.

I mostly just like to gank nerds. I’m basically looking for eve online but without being as much of a timesink.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

unfortunately if you’re not Good At Shooters your options for ownage are doing mean camping (very funny but time-consuming), building weird poo poo like trap bases (time-consuming), or doing offline raids (time-consuming). it’s a fun game but unless you can make profits on rock-to-ak roaming it is also a time-heavy game

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I'd be down with playing for sure. Just let me know what discord we usin'.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
Count me in

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

uniball posted:

unfortunately if you’re not Good At Shooters your options for ownage are doing mean camping (very funny but time-consuming), building weird poo poo like trap bases (time-consuming), or doing offline raids (time-consuming). it’s a fun game but unless you can make profits on rock-to-ak roaming it is also a time-heavy game

To be fair, overwhelming numbers is a good replacement for talent in Rust.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Like I’d be down if we had a process or system in place to get a horde of goons to jump into servers, get good enough gear really quick and burn the rest of the server down

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
If anyone wants to play, add me on discord MLS#7963. Planning on starting a fresh wipe server at 5:00 PST today (Friday)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893

mls posted:

If anyone wants to play, add me on discord MLS#7963. Planning on starting a fresh wipe server at 5:00 PST today (Friday)

I sent you a friend invite over Discord (should show up as JohnStamosLives). I wasn't able to pop you a message first since you're not accepting DMs.

I'm new to Rust but not shooters / FPS games - not sure if that matters for most Goonies but figured I'd let you know in case you don't want a sandbag. People seem to care a ton about hours played so my 50 hours is pretty dang drab. I'm learning mostly about base building, airlocking, and farming at the moment - all as a solo so it's pretty brutal.

I've been playing on Trio servers to reduce the amount of attacks that I might encounter. It's... ok. 2 v 1s are still pretty brutal and I find arrows tend to go a little to the right when shooting so I'm trying to get the feel of those at a distance.

Anyway, I've experience in FPS games (2k+ hours in PUBG / top 1% in the game for a while) but new to Rust's shooting mechanics as well.