Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
nat turner was pretty good too

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Ralph Gray.

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys

ScrubLeague posted:

nat turner was pretty good too

this

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

nat turner was never an 'american'.

don't think it's fair america should get to claim him.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Nah, they pretty much just want slavery.

All thats left of liberal identity is neverending culture war against racist hicks, so this checks out

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheeee posted:

What's the best book on John Brown?

On the historiography of the Harper's Ferry raid: most accounts of what exactly went down at Harper's Ferry derive from a particular eyewitness account. The commanding officer of the contingent of US marines sent to crush the raid after the Virginia militia surrounded the town but failed to retake it from Brown and his raiders was none other than Robert E. Lee, the supreme slaver champion in the war to come. As commanding federal officer on the scene, Lee wrote the official report on the event, and many writers on the raid use it as a primary source on that basis.

Here is a different eyewitness account: A Voice from Harper's Ferry, by Osbourne P. Anderson, one of only two raiders who survived the Virginia chuds and the feds. Anderson and the only other survivor were in an out-building isolated by the Virginians before the final storming of the Harper's Ferry fire engine house, where Brown, most of the raiders, the liberated slaves and the slaver prisoners were holed up. They managed to ford the river and escaped north into Pennsylvania. Anderson's is the only eyewitness account of the raid and its preliminaries from a participant on Brown's side in the fight. It's a quick, informative, evocative little book, highly recommended.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Leon Czolgosz was a great guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJO5Mltvf50

FreelanceZenarchist
Jun 18, 2009
I'm from Torrington CT, his birthplace and that makes me so happy.

FreelanceZenarchist
Jun 18, 2009
I'd also say Czolgosz is a boss but that would piss his ghost off.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Brown was a chump who got his entire party wiped by trash mobs while gearing up for a raid and only became a martyr because he was white.

• Locked thread