Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Exploring New Austin post game and found a corpse near the southwestern most point of the map. Went up to inspect it and it was the body of a Jesuit Missionary. John opens up the journal and sketches it, and makes a little note about "found a poor old man and it chilled me for whatever reason." It's been a long time since I've played RDR but is that a reference to something in that game perhaps? Just kind of weird, there didn't seem to be anything else for me to do there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Has anybody been able to get those gold duplication glitches to work? I had it work once but now I can only pic up 2 bars/billfolds and that's it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Zenzizenzizenzic posted:

extremely good points
9 - Just think of all the lost fashion potential :qq:

Some people buy ranches, I buy fancy clothes.

Also yeah John is perpetually kinda twiggy and I've been pouring lamb fry and prime rib and peach cobbler down his face non stop

Abigail feed your man better :(

Also while trying to get a shot of Sadie's outfit, this happened

TONIGHT, ON DESTROYED IN SECONDS.jpg

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
loving Pearson doesn't even acknowledge you post game, what the hell. We were family, Pearson.

Also I had a grand time rolling through New Austin wasting the Del Lobos. Got myself a permanently unlockable sombrero from the ol' Twin Rocks hideout. Made a pretty stupid mistake that was kind of hilarious too. After seeing the state of Armadillo and seeing that Thieve's Landing was a gang hideout, I decided to head into Tumbleweed thinking that it probably was too. Sure enough, place looks deserted upon first approach. I go to the church at the beginning of town and see it has a fat padlock on it. Since you can shoot locks in the game, I try to shoot the lock off, but to no avail. What does happen is a crime is witnessed, and I see a guy running toward me and shouting. I panic and put a load of buckshot into his guy only to discover I just killed a lawman.

One rolling gunfight out of Tumbleweed later and I am quickly bemoaning the lack of places to pay off a bounty in New Austin.

At some point I head back there and see an event where a guy drags a bounty up to Tumbleweed's sheriff. Well the sheriff there is apparently beyond sick of the Del Lobos poo poo and executes the guy in the middle of town. There's some flavor dialogue from a guy in the saloon talking about how Tumbleweed is a dying town anyway, which I thought was kind of a neat touch.

Overall I have found New Austin to be a bizarre mishmash of good poo poo and complete lack of effort, and it certainly makes me wonder if despite the game's delay, some New Austin content ended up getting left on the cutting room floor.

Oh, and you can have a decently long conversation with a guy at McFarland's ranch that explains why Ms. McFarland and her pa aren't present.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
Anyone notice the similarities between the first mission of the game and the last? Same characters are there -Arthur +John.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

emdash posted:

Anyone know the significance of the "Panoramic Map" you can find at a camp where two people froze to death? I wondered if it was a historical reference or just something I'm too stupid to get

The map definitely points to the top of Mt Shann, and if you head up there you can find some lines on a rock that are very similar in design and a compass. Nearby you can see a UFO at night and there are also the bones of a giant man. As far as I know no one has found anything beyond that or if the new lines + compass are a map to another easter egg.

e: this is the spoiler thread, no need for spoiler tags!

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I was leaving St. Denis and came across a guy on horseback who was bloody and needed taken to the doctor.

Where I saw his arm get cut off with a bonesaw. :stare:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Friendly word of advice. Don't go hunting the legendary cougar in New Austin unless you have shroud's aimbot reaction time, apparently.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Man, I just can't get into the post-game freeroam at all, it just feels weird running around New Austin as John.

I like how everyone was going "gently caress you Rockstar we want to post-game freeroam as John" for years after RDR1 came out, and now that we're finally able to do so in this game we're all complaining about having to play as John instead of someone cool like Sadie. :v:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Doc M posted:

Man, I just can't get into the post-game freeroam at all, it just feels weird running around New Austin as John.

I like how everyone was going "gently caress you Rockstar we want to post-game freeroam as John" for years after RDR1 came out, and now that we're finally able to do so in this game we're all complaining about having to play as John instead of someone cool like Sadie. :v:

It's cause John was cooler than Jack but now we're comparing John to Arthur, Sadie, Charles, etc.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I still like John. He's a dummy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I love John in freeroam, but I wish New Austin was less bare bones. At least you can shoot Herbert Moon in the face. Also my phone just tried to auto correct moon as moooooooon lol

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
John's the worst idiot because he willingly works with people like the snake oil salesman or the heroin doctor despite getting screwed over by them over and over

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I beat chapter 6, and if Micah didn't survive that ending I probably wouldn't even bother with the epilogue. John is so boring compared to Arthur, Sadie, and Charles :(.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DrNutt posted:

I love John in freeroam, but I wish New Austin was less bare bones. At least you can shoot Herbert Moon in the face. Also my phone just tried to auto correct moon as moooooooon lol

I like the difference in bits where you might be getting held up or intercede in a crime. Arthur says "you damned idiots" and it sounds like he's pissed off at their stupidity. John says "you damned idiots" and it sounds like he's about to follow up with "Marston Ranch rules!"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Calaveron posted:

John's the worst idiot because he willingly works with people like the snake oil salesman or the heroin doctor despite getting screwed over by them over and over

Tbf to John that was pretty much every Rockstar game. RDR2 is actually pretty revolutionary in that regard (even though you still end up doing lots of dumb poo poo for dumb people).

JBP posted:

I like the difference in bits where you might be getting held up or intercede in a crime. Arthur says "you damned idiots" and it sounds like he's pissed off at their stupidity. John says "you damned idiots" and it sounds like he's about to follow up with "Marston Ranch rules!"

My fave is that he only has like two voice clips for "greet" when you're riding faster than a trot and one of them is just "HEY!" :classiclol:

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
John's drawings suck and it upsets me with how much that bothers me.

The postgame in general is a pretty big letdown for me. For a game that just told a story that I really enjoyed, to then shrug and say "just ride around or whatever..." I don't know.
There's a vague premise of making money to keep the ranch going, but I've got more money now than I know what to do with and it seems pretty lovely to leave Abigail at home with a drunk and a bookish teenager.
Who's gonna milk the cow, carry the milk to the wagon, feed the chickens, carry the eggs to the wagon, water the livestock and sell all the products while I'm gone?

That said, I loving loved the game. Thoroughly enjoyed Arthur's story and him as a character. Just hanging out in the world, smoking premium cigarettes an chopping wood was good. At times it got kinda hokey, and some parts were definitely longer than they had to be, but as Arthur drew his last breath on that mountain I was genuinely moved and sad that he didn't get to ride into the sunset like he deserved.

And I got pretty misty eyed when Buell died. I promised I'd take good care of him dammit.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HatJudge posted:

The postgame in general is a pretty big letdown for me. For a game that just told a story that I really enjoyed, to then shrug and say "just ride around or whatever..." I don't know.
There's a vague premise of making money to keep the ranch going, but I've got more money now than I know what to do with and it seems pretty lovely to leave Abigail at home with a drunk and a bookish teenager.
Who's gonna milk the cow, carry the milk to the wagon, feed the chickens, carry the eggs to the wagon, water the livestock and sell all the products while I'm gone?

That said, I loving loved the game. Thoroughly enjoyed Arthur's story and him as a character. Just hanging out in the world, smoking premium cigarettes an chopping wood was good. At times it got kinda hokey, and some parts were definitely longer than they had to be, but as Arthur drew his last breath on that mountain I was genuinely moved and sad that he didn't get to ride into the sunset like he deserved.

And I got pretty misty eyed when Buell died. I promised I'd take good care of him dammit.

I love John's lovely drawings, but it does make me want to do a playthrough more thoroughly with Arthur to see all this stuff properly.

Also I too took Buell into that final ride and it felt amazingly appropriate when Arthur went back to thank him. It made the moment more maudlin than just saying goodbye to some horse I bought with game dollars because I had to replace a horse that got gunned down by Murfrees or whatever.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

HatJudge posted:

Ugh god were you riding Buell in the final mission :suicide:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I was extremely attached to my horse Westerly and the name had a backstory and everything, ugh I loving loved that computer horse.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

HatJudge posted:

John's lovely drawings are hilarious and I love that detail you madman.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I just reloaded a save from chapter three to fill the journal with as much of Arthur's drawings as possible. That's what this game did to me. I need to have my computer man see the meteor shack and try the Lemmy hat, because I know he'd get a kick out of that. Christ.

And yeah, Buell. I loved Tar, my black arabian, but when Hamish asked me to care for Buell... I don't know. By that time any ray of sunshine was gold. Watching Arthur make a friend felt so good. The one cutscene where they just hang out in the cabin, shooting the poo poo. Two veterans of different wars. Chapter 6 needed that. I needed that.
The missions with Charlotte as well.

I'm just gushing right now. Helluva game.

Edit:

popewiles posted:

John's lovely drawings are hilarious and I love that detail you madman.

Haha, I agree. The detail is awesome. That's why it upsets me that it bothers me.

Runaway Legs fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 14, 2018

Ordos Valkin
Apr 2, 2016
Anyway to get the coat Sadie Adler is wearing in the epilogue? I didn’t see anything like in it in the stores.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I find it weird that I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere that the Braithwaite mansion entrance is extremely similar to DiCaprio’s place in Django Unchained, with the extremely long path down lined by trees on either side.

And of course that they both burn down in the end

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

I find it weird that I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere that the Braithwaite mansion entrance is extremely similar to DiCaprio’s place in Django Unchained, with the extremely long path down lined by trees on either side.

And of course that they both burn down in the end

It’s an old Southern plantation manor. A lot of them look like that, long drive with the trees and all, and one burning is a pretty iconic image given how the Civil War played out. Both RDR2 and Django are drawing from the same imagery, which is IRL. It’d be like mentioning both Red Dead and Django have horses.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

HatJudge posted:

Hit the nail on the head. I had this amazing experience enjoying the game as Arthur. Then he got sick and I KNEW he was going to die. So I pushed through the story because playing as sick Arthur sucked. Then I hit the end game after the epilogues and I just lost all steam.

I still want to 100% the game, but I already have most of the legendary hunts and a lot of challenges done. I don't have the heart to start the game over from scratch to do them all again as Arthur, there are too many other good games to play right now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mandrel posted:

It’s an old Southern plantation manor. A lot of them look like that, long drive with the trees and all, and one burning is a pretty iconic image given how the Civil War played out. Both RDR2 and Django are drawing from the same imagery, which is IRL. It’d be like mentioning both Red Dead and Django have horses.

Holy poo poo they do

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
You can shoot down the torso that a serial killer strung up under the bridge near Valentine. You can also lasso it and drag it through the streets.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I have mixed feelings about that epilogue. It’s good they show off the struggle and failures of Marston trying to get away from the outlaw life, but it honestly needed less chore missions and more build up to the Micah confrontation. It almost came out of nowhere and a lot of the impetus for avenging Arthur was burnt out from milking cows and getting yelled at by Abigail for helping your employer.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Roman Reigns posted:

I have mixed feelings about that epilogue. It’s good they show off the struggle and failures of Marston trying to get away from the outlaw life, but it honestly needed less chore missions and more build up to the Micah confrontation.

I'd give up a toe for the end to be:

1. Kill Micah
2. Ride home
3. Congrats, you're now playing Harvest Moon

I love computer chores.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Roman Reigns posted:

I have mixed feelings about that epilogue. It’s good they show off the struggle and failures of Marston trying to get away from the outlaw life, but it honestly needed less chore missions and more build up to the Micah confrontation. It almost came out of nowhere and a lot of the impetus for avenging Arthur was burnt out from milking cows and getting yelled at by Abigail for helping your employer.

I think so, too. Maybe have a few missions showing John building the ranch and working, but have like 4 or 5 including the one where he asks Abigail to marry him. I was real happy to kill Micah, but would have liked to not have to play hours to get to that point.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bear is driving! posted:

Hit the nail on the head. I had this amazing experience enjoying the game as Arthur. Then he got sick and I KNEW he was going to die. So I pushed through the story because playing as sick Arthur sucked. Then I hit the end game after the epilogues and I just lost all steam.

I still want to 100% the game, but I already have most of the legendary hunts and a lot of challenges done. I don't have the heart to start the game over from scratch to do them all again as Arthur, there are too many other good games to play right now.

I did all the gunslinger duels as sick Arthur and despite being a sad time it was Doc Holliday as hell.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I feel like the epilogue would have been much better served following Sady or Charles on a hunt for Micah, and just checking in on John every once and a while.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The epilogue would have been better served by being like the first game: switch to new character with a stinger revenge mission you can find if you wander around. Finding out how marston got his bank loan and all the other tedious prequel crap was like watching paint dry

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like the Dutch betrayal, Micah betrayal and Arthur caring about John cane in way to fast and wasn’t organically spread throughout the game. Also it was stupidly obvious that Micah was the bad guy.

The other problem I had was that Bill and Javier never had a good turn to being bad or against Arthur. It was like they all saved Javier in Guam and everything’s ok then all of a sudden Bill and Javier hate you.

That’s kinda what I wish was expanded more in this game was those two. Maybe have Bill be the rat and that’s the reason he goes and forms his own gang etc.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

The epilogue would have been better served by being like the first game: switch to new character with a stinger revenge mission you can find if you wander around. Finding out how marston got his bank loan and all the other tedious prequel crap was like watching paint dry

The house building was worth it for the song. I would have rather played as Charles or Sadie though.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I just sort of assume Sadie's going to get her own "kicking rear end across the Americas" DLC. She and her cool-rear end coat were dangled way too hard in the epilogue.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rockstar ain’t never makin single-player DLC ever again

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The best we can hope for is that Sadie will be your intro character for online who welcomes you into town and sets you up with your first job, like Lamar from GTA online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

No Mods No Masters posted:

I thought that was all really great, a nice change of pace from the craziness that was chapter's 5 and 6.

• Locked thread