Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Just finished it. What a disappointing final two chapters. The game spends so much time developing these interesting characters and plot threads and then totally ignores all of them.

I get that it's part of the story that Cornwall, Milton, etc. are only a representation of a much bigger problem and the real antagonist of the story is dutch's creeping madness but holy poo poo when you just roll up and shoot cornwall that was the lamest, wet fart of a mission.

I also didn't feel a real connection to John in this story, maybe it was his character but more likely I think it was because you don't really spend much time with him on non "murder everyone" missions because he's usually locked up somewhere. So when you "sacrifice" yourself to save him I was like eh whatever. Now if it were Sadie, it would have been a totally different and far more awesome story if you had to do it to save him AND her or something.

Also maybe I'm alone in this but I didn't feel sad when the horse died. I hate horses in this game, I spent way too much time riding them because of no quick travel, they caused me tons of wasted time fighting the law due to brushing against people, not to mention randomly clipping rocks and sending me flying.

Overall it was an incredible experience for about half the time I played it, then an absolute slog for the rest of it, so it comes out about average I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

JBP posted:

I think you were meant to be a bit shocked that you just gunned down Cornwall, but loving, why would anyone think Dutch wasn't there just to kill people and get revenge after 5 straight chapters of nothing but revenge.

Yeah, I think that scene could have worked if it had some sort of consequence but it really doesn't. It's just another massive shootout that all three of you walk away from, totally unscathed.

The first few chapters had this feeling of things just ramping up and getting worse due to the misguided choices made by Dutch. I was expecting the Cornwall confrontation to be both earlier on and a turning point in the story where previously, things had been getting worse but this is it now, the Gang's fate is sealed, you just killed an extremely powerful and influential man, poo poo is now officially kicking off.

Instead this moment was the Saint Denis bank robbery, but the game doesn't keep the momentum going, it languishes and falls into the ol' rockstar trap of the endgame involving a massive body count.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I couldn't stand that the whole game is about rootin'-tootin' cowboy shootin' and the end of the main storyline is capped by an unavoidable turret sequence, an unavoidable stationary sniper sequence and an unavoidable ten minute boxing match. Then while trying to kill Micah in the Epilogue the game won't let you actually aim at him while he runs between the small wooden buildings because it needs to let Sadie creep into position.

I enjoyed playing it but the endings (aside from saying goodbye to your horse) were the worst part of it.

dunno if you had the same experience as me but I grappled Micah a bunch of times right at the edge of that cliff and Arthur literally throws him away from it

Like guys, I get that you couldn't actually murder Micah in that setpiece because it'd break the story but maybe don't have it at the top of a loving cliff in a game with a grapple button?

• Locked thread