Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
*extremely epic western score play on a snow capped trail*

MICAH! THIS IS JOHN MARSTON. IM COMIN' FOR YOU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Are the people complaining about guarma some "muh bideo gaem nonpolitical" gang or legit didn't like it for a reason? I thought guarma owned because I like seeing these kinds of western characters "do the right thing" in the way that the man with no name blows up a bridge saving hundreds of not thousands of civil war soldiers' lives (so he can steal some poo poo).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Honey, I'm just an honest rancher I won't do anything untoward out on the trail I swear...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ah yeah the lack of exploring stuff I 100% agree with. Hopefully they use all the assets for online.

Escobarbarian posted:

I thought Guarma was fine. I don't know that it fit into the story/themes very well but it was a good diversion and just short enough

I just love me a set piece and some bad men doing right for bad reasons. I though thematically that guarma was basically Dutch's promise fulfilled. We got to the tropical island and its hell on loving earth as usual. Also when I arrived I went from wily outdoorsman to being bit by a snake and then stumbling into that blow dart trap.... The snake really sold it that I was out of my depth (until someone handed me a gun and I was like yeah ok I'm still a pro at this).

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 5, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

OK I just finished the epilogue ending. What the gently caress was that? Why would Dutch shoot Micah after all that? Just seemed completely random. Then he's allowed to walk off, but killing Dutch is the entire point of RDR 1?! Sloppy poo poo, someone tell me what I'm missing.

I gotta admit seeing the barn built, then walking in and seeing the barn doors where John eventually makes his last stand was pretty surreal. That was a good moment.

Dutch doesn't say anything, same as when he could have killed Micah to save Arthur. He leaves the money too. He's done and in RDR he's a crazy caveman. John has to kill him to save his family and himself from the federals in RDR.

E: also he looks like a fat loser. He knows Micah ruined his gang and killed his family. He realises Micah sold them out when half the gang storm a mountain just to kill him for revenge, which is something Dutch knows too well.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 6, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

That doesn't answer my questions at all. If it's just " he crazy" then that's poo poo writing.

He's crazy in RDR I don't know what to tell you. Did you not notice him losing his mind for 60 hours?

Also as I said he's a hermit in RDR. Like, looks at the other things I posted. He regrets what he did and he knows the truth so he doesn't say a word as is his usual play and kills Micah, then he walks away entirely. He's hosed. In RDR when you catch up to him he's a wild man.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 6, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah I did, that doesn't mean it's good writing for him to suddenly shoot Micah, who he's been with for years post-Arthur death at that point.

Also I hate your avatar, plz change.

He shoots him because the whole gang or what's left of it have come for revenge. That's a lightbulb moment, he's done everything wrong.

No.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Like he's going to kill Sadie as well, he did what he thought was right in the situation and it comes back to Arthur.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bear is driving! posted:

I'm honestly regretting finishing the story now. I always try to platinum good games, but a lot of the trophies for this are hot garbage (I'm not mashing X for 10 hours for some of the stupid Gambling challenges).

I think I'm burnt out.

I'm still having a lot of fun, I will probably play it again at a slow pace picking up jobs I missed and camp talks but I won't bother with a lot of the poo poo. I forgot to go see the travelling freakshow before ending Arthur's career :(

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Capn Beeb posted:

Honestly if post story was just Sadie time and John existed out in his ranch and you could help him off and on that would've been hype as hell

This would have been much better. John does his thing (even play as him in epilogue 1) then Sadie does things around to help him get set up like kill outlaws and bring John on some jobs. John is the successor to Arthur, but so is Sadie in a lot of ways and those two rode on so many heavy situations together that it would have been nice for Sadie to get the journal.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Who on earth thought those medal mission rating were a good idea? Who on earth would go back to get medals on a mission where you carry things and listen to exposition? Why seemingly punish players for slow mission play.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Aphex- posted:

I really liked the ending and the epilogue, but the problem with it is that Arthur as a character really grew on me massively in chapter 5 and 6, so I decided to replay the game until chapter 3 and just explore in perpetuity from there. John is a great character and I enjoyed the post game stuff with him, especially exploring New Austin, but I think I just need to play more as Arthur when he's not sick. Gonna go and grow a huge beard and become a mountain man I think.

I just did that and am at the start of chapter two. So I robbed the shops at Valentine and already killed the gunsmith while doing so. A great start. I never did a lot of shop robbing last time so this is super fun running from the cops after shooting a man for $50. I didn't get what I spent in the shop back though which sucks.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Guess I'll ask here too: I beat both epilogues and are you supposed to get all of Arthur's weapons / outfits back automatically? Because I definitely didn't.

Yeah you should have your entire inventory. I was rocking Arthur's canon (to me) black metal Schofields.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Well that's a cool bug. :negative: Looks like it's happened to other people as well.

I guess on the bright side you have $20,000

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

abigserve posted:

Just finished it. What a disappointing final two chapters. The game spends so much time developing these interesting characters and plot threads and then totally ignores all of them.

I get that it's part of the story that Cornwall, Milton, etc. are only a representation of a much bigger problem and the real antagonist of the story is dutch's creeping madness but holy poo poo when you just roll up and shoot cornwall that was the lamest, wet fart of a mission.

I think you were meant to be a bit shocked that you just gunned down Cornwall, but loving, why would anyone think Dutch wasn't there just to kill people and get revenge after 5 straight chapters of nothing but revenge.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

abigserve posted:

Yeah, I think that scene could have worked if it had some sort of consequence but it really doesn't. It's just another massive shootout that all three of you walk away from, totally unscathed.

The first few chapters had this feeling of things just ramping up and getting worse due to the misguided choices made by Dutch. I was expecting the Cornwall confrontation to be both earlier on and a turning point in the story where previously, things had been getting worse but this is it now, the Gang's fate is sealed, you just killed an extremely powerful and influential man, poo poo is now officially kicking off.

Instead this moment was the Saint Denis bank robbery, but the game doesn't keep the momentum going, it languishes and falls into the ol' rockstar trap of the endgame involving a massive body count.

The big run and gun battle are always disappointing to me. poo poo like the Braithwaite mansion owns, but there shouldn't have been another wave, just a sudden outburst of extreme violence in that amazing set piece outside. I'd have appreciated it if the game just had your gang get bushwhacked by maybe ten guys and that does it in the end. Basically all of the battle should have been maybe a little more lethal and had half the dudes show up. So many missions get to a point of unreality in a game that prides itself on immersion and semi-realism.

The times where I've really gone "woah gently caress" are when I've had to suddenly gun down a couple of people and it's just so shocking and so sudden, then it's over. That's a western.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I thought Guarma owned.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

She got TB from Arthur.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Donovan Trip posted:

Has anyone found any interesting stuff in New Austin? One of my goals was to visit tumbleweed, the burned down town you have a few fights in during RDR1. If you haven't been, I recommend it.

Yeah the local gang commits interesting crimes all the time

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zenzizenzizenzic posted:

I've been pondering this too much so suffer my conceit: Goonfeed's Top 10 Reasons Sadie Should Have Been the Epilogue Character:

1 - She fills the role of Arthur's successor in a way unattainable to John's intended destiny as a humble family rancher. As she and Arthur bond over their commitment to see the Marstons out safely, they also commiserate over their inability to follow his lead and put the damaged outlaw life behind them. In this light she seems a more obvious candidate for freeroam than the guy with little incentive to leave his ranch other than resupplying at the general store. Bonus points if John declines to hunt down Micah because, as Abigail is right to insist, why endanger the life Arthur wanted for them until the government forces him to?

2 - By the same token, she fills the role of Jack's precursor in that a violent upheaval of her idyllic family retreat sets her down a one-way path of anger and isolation, culminating in a passionate but ultimately hollow quest for revenge against the men responsible. Having players follow her determination to make Micah answer for his betrayal of Arthur and the gang would be a bittersweet mirror of Jack's single-minded desire to find and ventilate Ross for betraying his father.

3 - There's a satisfying bookend in trekking north to familiar haunts at the game's conclusion and, figuratively or literally, burning Micah's established life to the ground, just as he did to her at the beginning.

4 - Visiting John as he gradually builds up his ranch would allow players to experience the peaceful future he was working toward without being tethered to it, and serve as a useful compare/contrast for both characters in terms of the life they embraced and the life they gave away.

5 - Giving her Arthur's journal would be a nice callback to the scene where she muses over what could possibly be inside it, and an opportunity to flesh out her character with what thoughts she adds to it. John already has 1.5 games worth of examination and seems less in need of the attention.

6 - Ludonarrative dissonance, if you're the sort that cares about such things: John has no particular reason to go headhunting in Annesburg or feed bar patrons to crocodiles for looking at him funny, but Sadie probably does both of those things at least once a week.

7 - Rockstar's ability to add interesting missions or characters to the desert region feels stymied by the fact that John apparently doesn't mosey on down yonder until the first game begins, an issue that would not affect Sadie, who already speaks about wanting to make her way south.

8 - delicious gamerbro tears

9 - Just think of all the lost fashion potential :qq:

10 - maybe she can swim????????????!!?

tl;dr:

Greet: howdy pardner

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I still like John. He's a dummy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DrNutt posted:

I love John in freeroam, but I wish New Austin was less bare bones. At least you can shoot Herbert Moon in the face. Also my phone just tried to auto correct moon as moooooooon lol

I like the difference in bits where you might be getting held up or intercede in a crime. Arthur says "you damned idiots" and it sounds like he's pissed off at their stupidity. John says "you damned idiots" and it sounds like he's about to follow up with "Marston Ranch rules!"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

HatJudge posted:

And I got pretty misty eyed when Buell died. I promised I'd take good care of him dammit.

Ugh god were you riding Buell in the final mission :suicide:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I was extremely attached to my horse Westerly and the name had a backstory and everything, ugh I loving loved that computer horse.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bear is driving! posted:

Hit the nail on the head. I had this amazing experience enjoying the game as Arthur. Then he got sick and I KNEW he was going to die. So I pushed through the story because playing as sick Arthur sucked. Then I hit the end game after the epilogues and I just lost all steam.

I still want to 100% the game, but I already have most of the legendary hunts and a lot of challenges done. I don't have the heart to start the game over from scratch to do them all again as Arthur, there are too many other good games to play right now.

I did all the gunslinger duels as sick Arthur and despite being a sad time it was Doc Holliday as hell.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Escobarbarian posted:

hahah the house building scene totally rules

The whole epilogue is like a wholesome paint your wagon family western and in that spirit I really liked it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I couldn't stand that the whole game is about rootin'-tootin' cowboy shootin' and the end of the main storyline is capped by an unavoidable turret sequence, an unavoidable stationary sniper sequence and an unavoidable ten minute boxing match. Then while trying to kill Micah in the Epilogue the game won't let you actually aim at him while he runs between the small wooden buildings because it needs to let Sadie creep into position.

I enjoyed playing it but the endings (aside from saying goodbye to your horse) were the worst part of it.

Not being able to dead eye or shoot Micah was the weirdest loving poo poo. I liked how the situation played out but a cutscene without taking my ability to play away would have been fine. I appreciated seeing Micah shoot and fire those guns and duck behind poo poo, but a shoot out means I get to shoot and play too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Escobarbarian posted:

I think that’s a message in a bottle that pops up on some shoreline.

Nah I found a man on the beach by a smashed rowing boat and with his dying breath he gave me the letter.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doppelganger posted:

On my second playthrough, I'm gonna shoot that hillbilly before he rapes Arthur. Maybe then he won't die of AIDS at the end.

I still can't loving believe this is in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

mycot posted:

I thought I was in the clear for no more soul crushingly depressing moments, but then John and Abigail had to get married on the same hill they'll both get buried at. :smith:

That's kind of nice. I don't think any of that is depressing. Given the situation John and Abigail are real winners, but you can't escape your past ultimately. If I were to view it from beyond the grave, I'd be satisfied with being buried with my wife where we married.

• Locked thread