Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
The title of this thread is what the headline of The Daily Mail would look like, if the world were populated by Goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

On Linux if you have smartmontools installed it's:

code:
smartctl -a /dev/sd*
In order to view S.M.A.R.T info for a disk. You may be missing a hyphen.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Try this then:

smartctl -a /dev/sda -d megaraid,{0..9}

[something tells me it mightn't work. depends upon if it's bash interpreting the command or smartctl. I've never had to specify anything after the drive letter for my uses]

apropos man fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 19, 2018

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I'm looking at it from a Linux command line POV. I don't know why it's asking for that either. You're on Ubuntu, right? What sort of array/filesystem are you using?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Does the RAID controller assign an array to /dev/sdX?

If so, it it both the hardware and software RAID or just one of?

I'll leave you to it, but I'm guessing that the array is defined as /dev/sdX and the only way that smartmontools can interpret which disk you're querying from which array, is by

1. adding the disk type (-d megaraid) to tell smartmontools that you're using an array
2. specify the array (because you have two of them)
3. and finally the disk ID in that array.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 19, 2018

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You have 9 Virtual Disks? On a RAID 1 based OS with a RAID 6 storage?

Shouldn't that be two VD's?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You said earlier that your 8 drives were in RAID 6.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

revmoo posted:

No. The 8 storage drives are configured as individual RAID 0 to present to the OS.

Anyways, I found this blogpost and they are also perturbed by the curious semantics you seem to be employing in order to query individual drives:

https://blog.inf.ed.ac.uk/chris/smartctl-and-megaraid/

Do they come to a satisfactory conclusion? Nope. It looks like you can keep on specifying /dev/sdWHATEVER to specify the array and it's the disk ID number that's the definitive article in this case.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 19, 2018

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

If you continue to use Linux for a while you'll come across 'features' like this. The various hundreds of packages and add-ons sometimes have things that could be de-bugged. smartmontools doesn't come as default on all distros, so I guess you could call it an add-on. I've even spotted a glitch in the timer arguments for systemd before, and I'm by no means an expert, but I digress.

What you've noticed doesn't seem like it affects the overall functionality of smartctl - it's just an oddity that might get sorted out some day. I've got a smartctl bash script that runs on a systemd timer once a month for each of my drives and it's always worked well but I'm only using a RAID 1 mirror.

If it's annoying for you to specify each drive in turn to see SMART status then it might be a good opportunity to start learning some simple bash scripting and create your own script that checks each drive in turn and greps out the relevant results for you. Once you get the hang of the shell a bit more you can do cool stuff like set up mailing with a Gmail account, then have your PC email some SMART test results to you once a month. Google setting up "postfix MTA Gmail" if you want stuff like that to happen, but first I'd experiment with some scripting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I can't answer your question but, personally, I have my smartctl tests staggered on a timer. So /dev/sda gets done on the 1st of the month, /dev/sdb on the 2nd, /dev/sdc on the 3rd etc.

I don't feel it's a particularly good idea to wham all my drives at the same time.