Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I ordered 8 3TB SAS drives and then it hit me that this thing might not have the raid controller to handle them.

It's a Poweredge 2900 ECM01. I see this in lspci:

RAID bus controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic MegaRAID SAS 1078 (rev 04)

Is there a max drive capacity on this RAID controller, and if so what is it? And if I need to replace it what do I need to buy?

I don't care about the hardware RAID, I'll be using LVM, just need something that can address the 3TB drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm seeing conflicting info _everywhere_ but it appears you're right and I need a H700 controller.

Is this right?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Drives arrived, the RAID controller sees them but doesn't seem to be able to do anything with them. I've got an H700 controller on the way which theoretically can handle them.

What's the best way to get these drives just plainly accessible to the OS so I can do RAID in software?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The individual RAID 0 was my conclusion as well. Kind of clunky but no worries. I'm going to run two 15k RAID 1 drives for the os with the controller and the 8 drives in individual RAID 0 mode to manage with LVM.

What tools do I use in linux to manage the H700? Mainly how do I monitor the health of the RAID 1 os drives, and how do I tell it that I want to hot swap in a new drive and rebuild the two disk array?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Any way to run that on Ubuntu or do I have to use RHEL?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Nah it's just a file storage box. I just need a huge storage pool and a os.

Got my H700 RAID card in today. They changed the cabling.

New cables on order, at least there's a way to convert!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Thats pretty solid advice, thanks!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ok so new issue. I have ten disks in the box, two OS drives in RAID 1 in the top two slots and 8 3TB disks in the main bay slots. With the H700 controller installed I'm able to initialize all ten disks and the CentOS installer sees all 9 VDs.

Problem is on boot it says "Flex bay cable missing / misconfigured"

I've tried re-seating the cables, didn't seem to help. Anybody know what's going on?

EDIT: After ordering $80 worth of cables that allegedly have a different pinout that seemed to work for a lot of folks I read a post about moving the H700 to another slot. Worked. No more error.

Weird. Also kind of annoying because now I have this card just hanging in the slot with nothing to retain it. I specifically ordered the integrated card and now I wish I hadn't.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 11, 2018

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
New question, how the heck do you actually install OMSA on CentOS?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Nevermind, I don't care. CentOS is a dumpster fire. I'll use Ubuntu.

It took me 15 mins to install Ubuntu and get ssh server going. It took an hour and a half with CentOS and the final straw was getting a nice core dump every time I ran service --status-all

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
*removed angry rant against omv developers*

revmoo fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 15, 2018

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Pretty much.

Server's working great, just trying to figure out monitoring for the drives, psu, and fans. This stuff is super confusing and guides you find online are all out of date.

Btw why do you have to tell smartctl a /dev/sd* device AND the megaraid #. It seems like it ignores the sd* device given... so wht require it?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I know but it makes me do:

smartctl -a /dev/sda -d megaraid,X

incrementing the 'X' from 0-9 to see all ten drives, even though I can keep /dev/sda as /dev/sda. It makes no sense.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I don't think your getting my problem. I'm able to read the SMART data from all ten drives just fine.

I just don't understand why I'm forced to give the -a flag a random drive to use to read data from unrelated drives.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My setup is:

2 146GB 15k SAS drives in RAID 1 using hardware raid for the OS

8 3TB 7200 SAS drives in RAID 6 using software raid in Ubuntu

H700 RAID controller

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

apropos man posted:

Does the RAID controller assign an array to /dev/sdX?

If so, it it both the hardware and software RAID or just one of?

There is a /dev/sdX for every VD (9)

I can leave the smartctl command at /dev/sda and enumerate all ten drives by changing the megaraid number

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
No. The 8 storage drives are configured as individual RAID 0 to present to the OS.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
You might want to go re-read what I posted.

I have ten (10) drives. Two in hardware raid1 and eight in software raid6, resulting in 9 VDs presented to the OS.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That's so odd. Good to see I'm not the only one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So I kicked off a smartctl long test on all 10 drives about two weeks ago. The 140GB OS drives finished in a normal time span. The 3TB drives are STILL testing, literal weeks later.

What gives?